Chapter 4

Scar

 

In the middle of the morning, GO had his arms around the down-turned Mir, walking the distance to the restaurant. He could feel the eyes of everyone they passed and their whispers about Joon. Every step of it, Mir wanted to turn around and hide inside the dorm.
 
“Was this the place?” GO jabbed him lightly to get his attention. Mir gave it a quick glance and nodded. GO pursed his lips and guided Mir into the driver’s seat.
 
The keys were still in the ignition, but Mir wouldn’t touch them. GO sat with him in the passenger, waiting until it felt right to speak.
 
“I thought he was just trying to be romantic. That he was just taking advantage of one of our few breaks. I didn’t think anything about it.”
 
GO grabbed his hand. “Mir, you need to stop blaming yourself.”
 
“Kind of hard to, hyung.” Mir snapped. He leaned over the steering wheel, exhausted. “I didn’t even feel him leave last night. How can you say it‘s not my fault when I can even notice when my boyfriend leaves?”
 
“Mir! Stop it! You keep blaming yourself, you’ll end doing exactly what Joon did and we’ll be in a giant circle of suicide and do you really want to make us deal with that?!” GO snapped. “You’re not the only one shocked about what Joon did and I understand you’re his boyfriend, but that doesn’t mean you’re the only one who cares about him.” By the time he finished, GO was out of breath.
 
Mir lowered his head in shame. “I’m sorry, hyung. I didn’t think about it. I was selfish…”
 
GO sighed. “Mir, I didn’t mean…”
 
“Let’s just get the car home.” Mir grabbed the keys and the engine.
 
GO made a face as he listened to the subtle ticking as the car came to life. He’d been in Joon’s car before and it never ticked. Sort of like pins were falling in place. But…what in a car fell into place?
 
“Mir, get out of the car.”
 
“What?”
 
“Just, get out of the car.” GO took off his seatbelt and opened the car door.
 
“What? What, what is it?”
 
“Get out of the car!” GO grabbed the maknae’s shirt and dragged him out behind him.
 
They weren’t five feet away when the car went up in flames. Mir jumped behind GO when the explosion went off and they both watched as the car burned and burned. The restaurant owners hurried out of the building as soon as their windows shattered and watched along with them. In five minutes, there was a crowd, watching Joon’s car.
 
“Mir…” GO grabbed Mir’s hand, eyes not moving an inch.
 
“Yes, hyung?”
 
“…I think Joon meant to die with you.”
 
Mir looked between GO and the car. Any other moment, he would’ve said that GO was crazy. But…