13; Grammar, plz.

` { What Not to do } » AsianFanFics Story Tips {Under construction}

What's the mistake?:

"Your going write?"

"Were is it?"

"Over their."

"There going to, right?"

 

"How much do you way?"

"My i hurts. Can you look to see if anything in it?"

"I eight that last weak."

"I'll go by that for you."

So on and on and on~

Folks. This chapter is all about grammar.

 

Now grant it, english is one of the hardest languages to learn if it's not your main language. It has all these words that sound a like but are spelled differently and mean the same thing. It's the opposite of a cognate. 

Those of you who don't know what a cognate is, it is a work that is translated from english to another language and it both looks like the english word and means the same thing in english. (i took french so I only have french cognates but you can find cognates in spanish as well as some other languages, even japanese and korean.) I won't bore you with what cognates are, but if you want to know i'll gladly help.

 

Anyways, whats wrong with the sentences above? Simple. They used the wrong word. I italics the word that doesn't belong. 

So lets break down each sentence:

 

  1. "Your going write?" 
    First off you are saying, "You are going" not "Your going" unless it's a command when this sentence is not a command. So you need to change your to "you are" or to "you're". Second, they used the wrong write. "Write" is to write something with a pen or pencil. The real word they need is "Right".
  2. "Were is it?"
    They used the wrong "were". Were is plural form of was. So like: "I was at the concert with friends. We were all having a good time." While the where they are looking for is a place. So they need "where." So, "where is it?" 
  3. "Over their."
    The wrong there. Their, they're, and there can be very confusing. Their refers to multiple people or owner ship so like, "that is their food, you can't eat that!" They're is saying "they are" so an example is "they're going to the concert." And there referes to a place. "It's over there." For this sentence the there they are looking for is "there" since it refers to a place.
  4. "There going to, right?
    Same as number three. The there they are wanting is "they're" since it's talking about people going. As for the to, they used the wrong to. There are 3 to's. "To", "Too", and "two." Two is the number 2. To is to explain something. "Like I am going to kick you. I will walk to your house." While "too" you should think it means like, "as well," or "also" and it can also mean "more". So examples of too would be, "I can do that too."(i cant do that also) or "That cat is too chubby."(that cat is really chubby). The to they want for this sentence is "too."

     
  5. "How much do you way?"
    Wrong way. You need "weigh" since you are talking about someone's mass or weight.
  6. "My i hurts. Can you look to see if anything in it?"
    Wrong I. This is usually a typo but don't be stupid now. You need "eye" since it's your eye ball not "yourself" a noun.
  7. "I eight that last weak."
    I "ate" that last "week." Eight is 8 and ate is the past tense for eat. Weak is being drained and week is 7 days in a month.
  8. "I'll go by that for you."
    I'll go buy that for you.  The by they used is "I walked by that shop yesterday." And the buy you need to use is if you are purchasing something.

 

 

So how do I fix these mistakes?:

Re-read your chapter; you may not catch all your mistakes when you re-read them but no one is perfect. I sometimes re-read my chapters over and over and still don't see the mistakes until someone points it out. If you have a close friend on AFF that you don't mind sharing your stories with, why not let them re-read the chapter for you and help you with any errors as well.

 

Extra tips:

Know ↔ No
Ad 
↔ Add
Arc 
↔ Ark
↔ Eye
Way 
↔ Weigh
Main 
↔ Mane
Sale 
↔ Sail
Why 
↔ Y
You ↔ U
Scene 
↔ Seen
Seam 
↔ Seem
Weather 
↔ Whether 
Been 
↔ Bin
Mail 
↔ Male
Loan 
↔ Lone
Die 
↔ Dye
Steal 
↔ Steel
Stair 
↔ Stare
Flew ↔ Flu
Beat ↔ Beet
Sweet ↔ Suit
Son 
↔ Sun
They're 
↔ There ↔ Their
Threw 
↔ Through
Pair 
↔ Pear
Pain 
↔ Pane
Pail 
↔ Pale
Blew 
↔ Blue
Read 
↔ Red
Bear 
↔ Bare
Be 
↔ Bee
Brake 
↔ Bear
Cell 
↔ Sell
Buy ↔ By
Cent 
↔ Scent
Fair 
↔ Fare
Heal 
↔ Heel
Hear 
↔ Here
Hole 
↔ Whole
Idol 
↔ Idle
Hour 
↔ our
Knot 
↔ Not
Made 
↔ Maid
Peace 
↔ Piece
Plain 
↔ Plane
Poor 
↔ Pour
Right 
↔ Write
Wear 
↔ Where
Week 
↔ Weak
Eight 
↔ Ate
Leek 
↔ Leak
Two ↔ Too
On ↔ One
Your ↔ You're
There ↔ Their, They're

 

 

Credit to InspiritDream who wrote all these out. There are more I'm sure but these are just a few.