Determined.

Last Stand

 

 

“Too late,” I muttered to myself. “I was too late.”

--

For the next couple of weeks, Jiyong was put back to work, and there was a lot to do. From concerts to composing, Jiyong found himself swamped in work and he barely even saw anyone anymore.

From day to night he worked in the studio, ate his meals there and even started sleeping there. Frustrated with himself but chained by his work, Jiyong was rendered useless for the cause of Gtop.

On one particular day as Teddy and Jiyong were sitting together in the studio trying to compose a song, Teddy suddenly stood and closed his notebook.

“Jiyong, you’re not focused,” he said.

Jiyong looked down, knowing exactly why he wasn’t focused. “I’m sorry,” he muttered. God, I can’t do anything right! Not only for Seunghyun, but I’ve also let down Teddy as well…

“What exactly do you have on your mind? We can talk about it if you’d like,” Teddy offered, patting Jiyong on the shoulder somewhat awkwardly.

Though Jiyong was thankful for Teddy’s willingness to help, he knew his hyung wasn’t all that great at listening. “It’s nothing, really. Just some problems with a person that I…” Jiyong’s voice trailed off. Do I love Seunghyun? I thought I did, but if Seunghyun is better off without me, then maybe I should just give up and move on.

Unconvinced, Teddy looked Jiyong in the eyes one more time and sighed. “Well, if you’d rather not talk about it, that’s fine too. Just figure it out yourself and meet me here tomorrow, okay?”

Jiyong nodded, grateful for the small break. He packed his things slowly, unwilling to go back to the dorm to wallow in his feelings of guilt and confusion but also not wanting to stay in the studio that had been his prison for over a week.

Just as he was about to exit, however, Teddy stopped him. “Ah, I almost forgot. You have to go to Japan to make up a fan greet event that was planned and canceled because of your illness. Could you fly over there, say, this weekend?”

Jiyong’s eyes lit up, hardly believing the words that were coming out of Teddy’s mouth. This was exactly the opportunity he was looking for. “Of course I will! No problem at all. How long will I be staying?”

Teddy looked through his planner and said, “It seems you also have to meet with a few companies there for your Japanese CF, so a few weeks at the least. Are you sure you’re ok—”

Jiyong didn’t give Teddy time to finish his sentence as he gave out a whoop. “Thank you so much, Teddy-hyung! I’ll go pack my bags now!”

As Jiyong rushed out the door, Teddy scratched his head. “Since when did people love work so much?”

--

Jiyong.

I could barely keep my hands from shaking in anticipation as I went through the motions of my day. Though it was onerous and tiring, I knew every motion I took was bringing me one step closer to Seunghyun and finally confessing my feelings for him.

The plane ride was a blur of feelings of anticipation and fear mixed into each other. I had gone by myself and my nerves were literally eating me alive, unable to find any other outlet. I almost regretted refusing Teddy’s offer to come along, but I also knew I had to face my feelings on my own and prove to Seunghyun I could at least take care of myself.

Finally my plane arrived, and I nearly sprinted off the airplane. After snatching my baggage at record times I boarded a taxi and started on my way to Tokyo.

As I settled into the leather seat, however, I realized I had no idea where Seunghyun was.

Frantically, I tried to recall any set location but could only remember the city name – Tokyo.

I began to panic, searching my bags for any planner, slip of paper, anything that would lead me to Seunghyun when the taxi driver’s voice interrupted my chaotic search.

“Sir, do you know the exact address of your destination?”

Flustered, I stumbled over my words. “U-uh, I think it’s somewhere around…”

The driver raised his eyebrows at me. "The exact address?"

“N-no, I don’t. I know it’s my friend’s address, but I seemed to have forgotten,” I confessed.

"You're a foreigner here, aren't you," the old man asked.

I stared at him, not sure why he was asking. "Y-yeah, I am."

“Do you have a cell phone?"

“Yes, I do.” I said. Was this creep trying to hit on me or something?

“Do you have your friend’s number?” The driver's voice sounded sarcastic and mocking.

Suddenly, it hit me. I should just call him! Beaming at the old man, I thanked him. “What a good idea! I can just call him, of course…” My voice decreased into a mumble as I quickly took out my phone and began searching for Seunghyun’s number.

The taxi driver only chuckled, focusing back on the road. Kids these days…

--

Seunghyun.

I lost track of how many weeks I had been in Japan, but it seemed like this drama would never end. It wasn’t that the people I was working with were hard to work with, necessarily, but I was just tired of the entire process and the need to act every moment of almost every day was beginning to wear on my sanity.

On a rare during-shoot break, I suddenly received a call. That’s weird, no one’s called me at all the entire time I was here, and it couldn’t be my manager, so who is it…?

I almost fell out of the chair and spat out the water I was drinking when I saw the caller ID. Jiyong?! I immediately picked up. “Jiyong? Why are you calling?”

“Nice to hear from you too, Seunghyun,” Jiyong said, laughing under his breath.

I was surprised by the call and his tone of voice. He had been avoiding me up until I left for Japan, and the sudden call did not explain any of his actions. “Ah, nice to hear your voice again, Jiyong. How are you doing?”

“I’m doing well,” Jiyong said, though I could tell he wasn’t okay at all by the slight waver in his words that he always had when he was nervous. “Can you give me your address?”

I was taken aback. My address? My address in Japan? “For wh—” I was interrupted by a loud blast from a megaphone. “Everyone back to the set,” my director bellowed, rattling the entire building. I sighed, yelling a reply then turning back to my phone. “My director thinks we all have hearing issues. Text me later, okay? I have to go.”

I hung up, running my hands over the phone. Did Jiyong want to send mail to me? Or could it be… could he have flown from Korea just to see me?

Another blast from the megaphone nearly knocked me off my feet. “Get your over here, Choi Seunghyun! I don’t care if you’re an international super star. Everyone has to be on time for filming!”

I sighed for what seemed like the millionth time and slowly trudged to the set. This was going to be a long night.

--

Jiyong.

I stared at my phone dejectedly. I knew Seunghyun had a lot to do, but he could have at least told me his address…

Sighing, I pulled out my planner and retrieved a sheet of paper that Teddy gave me before I left. I cleared my throat and said, “XX hotel, please. Thank you sir.”

During the drive, I could only think of ways to make it up to Seunghyun. I knew he loved cute toys and sweet foods, but would it be appropriate if I just presented a toy or a dessert to him and confessed? I scratched my head, not experienced with love in general.

When I finally reached my hotel, I flopped down on my bed. All those days in the studio really wore me out, and the fatigue finally caught up to me. Before I slipped into unconsciousness, I realized exactly what I should do.

My lips curled into a smile as I drifted off into a well-earned sleep.

--

Filming was finally over for the day. An exhausted Seunghyun stumbled out of the studio, weakly calling his goodbyes. Seunghyun made it to the car just in time as he collapsed in a sweaty mess of sore muscles. He brought his hand up to massage his temples but no relief came to him. Sighing and pulling off his glasses, Seunghyun leaned back in his seat…

Brrrring!

I’ll just ignore it…

Brrrring!

Who the hell is calling at this hour?

The cell phone’s automated voice was heard, broadcasting the caller. Call from Kwon Jiyong, it said in its robotic voice.

Seunghyun immediately snapped to attention. Jiyong?

Quickly, he grabbed his phone to answer. “Ji, why are you—” Seunghyun remembered their previous conversation. “Ah, you wanted my address?”

He heard a cough on the other end and some shuffling before Jiyong spoke. “Yeah, I was actually wondering if you would be willing to come over to my hotel for just a bit…” Jiyong’s voice was shaky and stiff, and Seunghyun could almost feel the nervousness radiating from the phone.

‘His’ hotel?

Jiyong… was in Japan?

Seunghyun sighed, barely able to keep his eyes open. More than anything – even more than finding out why Jiyong was calling him – Seunghyun craved sleep. “If it’s nothing important, then I would rather get some rest, if that’s alright with you.”

He heard a squeak from the other side, and then Jiyong’s voice. “Of course, of course, you had a long day of practice. Sleep well, sorry for bothering you!”

The line went dead and Seunghyun was left staring at his phone. What… he asked himself, but stopped his train of thought.

He really needed some sleep.

--

Jiyong.

I clutched the phone to my chest, panting heavily.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! I should have known he would be tired! Aish Jiyong, you should have waited until tomorrow!

I leaned against the wall, letting myself slide down slowly. Calling and confessing to Seunghyun was much harder than I thought. I fought to keep the negative emotions away, trying to convince myself that I could do it. I could finish the mission I set out for.

The time for running away and denying my feelings was over. Now was the time to be brave, confess, and take whatever came my way.

Except for the fact that Seunghyun almost fell asleep in our call.

I guess I would just have to wait until tomorrow to set things straight...

But I knew I would.

--

Sleep depravity, something I can relate to. 

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter~