Recollection

Last Stand

 

--

Jiyong blinked, staring at the brightly smiling people surrounding him. He looked to his side and saw an overly familiar face… He rubbed his eyes twice to make sure he was truly seeing what he thought he was seeing.

“Seunghyun?! Wha - Why are you here?” Jiyong exclaimed, grabbing his friend’s arm.

Top looked at his beloved and clasped his hand over Jiyong’s, sighing in relief. “Thank God... you remember me?”

Jiyong raised his eyebrows. “How could I ever forget?” he smiled at Seunghyun and then continued, “But… why are you here, and why am I in a hospital bed?”

Daesung held Jiyong’s hand, crying tears of relief because his hyung was back. Jiyong had no earthly idea what was going on, but he said nothing, afraid of aggravating the hysterical Daesung further. “Ji… you… I found you, collapsed in a subway… you…” Daesung gulped, clearing his throat, “you had a horrible chronic illness…” Daesung choked up, unable to continue.

“But,” Taeyang continued, “after undergoing a beta treatment, you’re cured, and alive!”

 “Oh,” Jiyong said, smirking, “That’s good then… ” But why are there strangers here? And why is Seunghyun suddenly back? What is happening, Jiyong wanted to ask, but instead he said, “Why is Hyunnie here, then?”

Seunghyun was taken aback. Jiyong hadn’t called him that name since high school...

“Ji, don’t you remember? It’s because we’re hyungs, of course!” Taeyang exclaimed.

Jiyong smiled uncertainly. Hyungs…? Since when did Seunghyun, this blonde person and that panda eye guy become my hyungs? “Taeyang, could I talk to you for a second? Alone?”

Taeyang raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Sure, if you want to.” He looked at the rest of the group, and shrugged. “You guys heard him, move on out.” Reluctantly, the group left the room, leaving Jiyong and Taeyang alone.

--

Jiyong.

Taeyang looked at me like I was a weirdo. “Ji, did you want to talk to me about something…?”

I nodded, running my hands through my hair. “Yongie, what year is it?”

Taeyang cocked his head. “Why would you ask…?”

“What year is it?” I repeated.

“…it’s 2012. What year did you think it was?” Taeyang asked, eyes fully focused on me now. “Did you forget?”

“It’s 2005, isn’t it?”

Taeyang gasped. “Jiyong… don’t tell me…”

Inside, I started panicking. I knew something was missing but I couldn’t put my finger on it. “We are trainees together, and we’re going to form our own two person band right?” My words began to tumble frantically out of my mouth. “…or go act in a film? We were going to get the orders from President Yang soon… weren’t we?”

Taeyang grabbed my shoulders, making eye contact with me. “Jiyong, listen to me. Do you know what Big Bang is?”

I shook my head, wrenching myself out of his grasp, as his gaze became uncomfortable. “Isn’t it some theory on how the universe was created?” I mumbled.

Taeyang could do nothing but gape at me. “Ji… you… forgot everything?”

I creased my forehead, trying to fill the empty space in my memory. “Who is that blonde guy, and the one with dark pouches under his eyes? And why is Seunghyun here? I moved away and we didn’t keep in touch for years… why is he suddenly here?”

Youngbae seemed overwhelmed by all of my questions. “They’re part of Big Bang, the K-pop group that we’re a part of. You’re the leader, and Seungri, the panda, is the maknae. The blond guy is Daesung, and he’s one of the vocals, with Seungri and me.” Taeyang looked at me expectantly, as if he thought I would suddenly remember everything.

It was then, when he looked at me with those searching eyes, those pleading eyes, when I made up my mind. “Taeyang, don’t tell them about my condition.”

“What?”

“Don’t tell them I lost my memory!” I snapped.

Ignoring his shocked expression, I stalked out of the room.

--

Seunghyun.

I was confused. Why would Jiyong want to talk to Taeyang separately? I knew that they had trained for many years before we debuted as Big Bang, but I don’t remember them being this close…

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a door opening.

Jiyong walked out with a bright albeit forced smile, and although I knew it wasn’t genuine it still made my heart flutter.

“Hey guys, sorry about just now… I’ve gathered my thoughts and I remember now, so don’t worry about me!” Jiyong said, grinning widely.

Seungri and Daesung cheered and went to hug their hyung. “Aish, leader-sshi, don’t scare me like that!” Seungri whined as he hugged Jiyong tightly.

“Ne maknae I’m sorry… I won’t do it again!” Jiyong said, pinching Seungri’s cheeks, before adding, “And Dae, I promise never to make you cry like that again,” he said, wiping Daesung’s tears away.

He then directed his attention to me, and seeing my skeptical expression, he asked, “Hyunnie why do you look like that? I’m fine, so you don’t need to worry…”

I stared back, unsure of what to think. All of his actions so far suggested he truly gained his memory back, except for one thing – that nickname. He had stopped calling me that ever since Big Bang formed, so why would he suddenly start again?

“Jiyong… can I talk to you privately?” I asked, searching in his eyes for the Jiyong I knew.

He avoided my eyes and looked at his feet, cradling his injured arm. Biting his lip, he replied, “Could we talk a little later? I’m kind of tired from this entire ordeal, so…”

I grabbed his arm. “Jiyong, we need to talk. As soon as possible.” I tried to read his expression, but he tore himself from my grip.

His voice shook as he said, “Maybe later, hyung. I… just want to be alone for now, thanks.” Jiyong slung his bag over his shoulder and began walking towards the door.

“Hey, Ji! Your condition isn’t stable yet, you shouldn’t be…” Taeyang shouted after him, but he kept walking.

Taeyang looked back at us for a moment, then turned and ran after his friend, leaving me behind.

--

Jiyong’s walk soon turned into a sprint, taking him away from his conflicted memories. Stopping for breath, he looked up and recognized nothing around him.

I was in Seoul, right? Training with Yongbae? Where am I now? How did I get here…?!

He sunk down to his knees and held his head in his hands.

Why don’t I remember anything? Who are they? When did I get to know them, and why?

Suddenly a hand materialized on Jiyong’s shoulder, scaring him half to death.

“Ji… are you okay?” Taeyang asked.

Jiyong ducked his head in thought. “We… were training, right? To become singers?”

Taeyang pursed his lips and crouched beside Jiyong. “That was seven years ago, Ji.”

Jiyong looked up, eyes b with tears. “What… what did I do all this time?”

Youngbae patted his friend’s back. “Here, take this,” he said, handing Jiyong his iTouch. “There’s a folder with all of Big Bang’s MV’s and interviews, as well as your own songs and variety show appearances.” He paused before adding, “I can tell you want some time by yourself, so here’s the address of where we live. Take your time, but try to be back before dark, okay?” Jiyong stayed quiet so Taeyang got up and brushed himself off. “…I’m going now… take care of yourself, Ji.”

--

Uwah, it's been a while since I updated! Sorry guys, it's been a busy week.

Hope you guys liked the chapter!