A Cure?

Last Stand

 

--

                Jiyong was taken into the hospital by a group of nurses, into a room and to a doctor he had never seen before. After running just a few tests, the doctor ushered everyone, excluding Jiyong, out of the room.

“…Mr. Kwon.” The doctor breathed in slowly, and laced his fingers together. “You have a serious heart disease, and it’s - almost - incurable.”

Jiyong looked at him, not sure if he had heard correctly. “Almost? So, there’s a cure?” He massaged his temples, muttering, “My last doctor told me there was no way to even slow its process…”

The doctor nodded. “This hospital specializes in treating heart-disease patients, so you’ve come to the right place. However, there is a high risk that comes with this treatment. Of course, it’s still in testing so… there is a large chance you will die.”

Jiyong bit his lip. “How much of a chance?”

“About 80% chance that you’ll die from the treatment, and even if you survived, there could be serious side effects. That said, if the treatment is successful, it could cure you from your disease. We’ve found that adding some hormones to the brain directly affects the heart, making it possible to cure it – but, as I said, there could be irreversible effects from toying with the brain.” The doctor looked at Jiyong gravely. “Are you willing to take the risk?”

GD averted his eyes and stared at the cold, tiled floor. “I’d like to have some time to think about it…”

The doctor nodded, and bowed to take his leave. “Just let me know when you’ve made up your mind. Don’t feel too pressured, it’s your decision whether you decide to do it or not.” With that, the doctor hastily exited the room, leaving Jiyong with his thoughts.

--

Seunghyun sat in the plush chair, battling with himself. He knew that Jiyong had seemed reluctant to see him when they had spoken a few hours earlier, but Seunghyun still wanted to see him. Seunghyun rubbed his forehead, trying to make up his mind when his phone rang.

“Yoboseyo?”

Daesung’s voice sounded strange. “Seunghyun-ah… you should probably come, Ji—“

Seunghyun cut in, saying “I understand, I’ll be right over!” Top quickly closed his phone and grabbed his jacket, sprinting out the door to his car.

--

When Seunghyun arrived at the hospital, he could tell Daesung was smoldering with anger. “Seunghyun,” he said with a controlled voice, “I need to talk to you about Jiyong.”

Seunghyun approached slowly, wondering what had made Daesung this mad. He had never seen Dae this way… “Uh, what is it?”

“What is it?” Daesung sarcastically echoed. Daesung took in a deep breath and lowered his voice. “How long have you known that Jiyong was terminally ill?”

“Well… I heard, yester—“

“Then why would you shorten his life even more? Why would you put him in more danger?” Daesung spat, his eyes burning with anger.

“I never – what are you even talking about?“ Seunghyun was beginning to get angry at his hyung.

Daesung sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, and then looked up at Top. “How long are you planning to deny this?”

Seunghyun lost his temper. “Deny what? What did I do to deserve this?” Seunghyun demanded, grabbing Daesung.

Daesung shoved him away. “Deny the fact that you Jiyong!” He yelled, exasperated.

Seunghyun recoiled. “Wh—I didn’t—“

A quiet voice interrupted their argument. “Mr. Choi and Mr. Kang, I’d like to ask you not to yell in the hospital, especially at this time of the night.” The doctor looked at their faces and continued, “Also, we’d like to talk to you about some things…”

--

Jiyong.

I decided to undergo treatment, for our fans. I was going to die anyway, so I might as well make an attempt to cure my disease, no matter the consequences. I knew full well the consequences of undergoing treatment, and I quickly wrote a note to myself and placed it in my bag, preparing myself for the worst.

A tear slipped down my cheek as nurses came in to prepare me for my treatment.

--

The doctor sat down and waved to some seats. “Please, sit down.”

Daesung and Seunghyun complied, and after a pause, Daesung feebly asked, “How’s Jiyong?”

The doctor cleared his throat before continuing, obviously uncomfortable. “As you know, Jiyong has a life-threatening illness that has been slowly sapping his life.”

They both nodded, and Seunghyun rasped, “Is there any way to help him?”

The doctor adjusted his glasses and looked up. “That was exactly what I called you two in here to talk about. Jiyong has decided to undergo a beta treatment that could cure --and could also kill-- him.”

Seunghyun swallowed. “When is the treatment happening?”

The doctor looked up, staring first at Seunghyun and then Daesung. “He’s going into the operation room as we speak.”

--

Jiyong found himself in a hospital bed, being wheeled to another room that held his fate. His heart weighed him down like lead, and he felt lethargic. Just as he was about to enter the room, he saw the love of his life sprinting toward him, shouting his name.

“Jiyong! Jiyong! Wait, I need to speak to him!” Seunghyun yelled, and the nurses paused. “Sir, we must start the treatment now, before his condition gets worse.”

“Please, just a word…” Seunghyun grabbed one of Jiyong’s cold hands. “Jiyong, I love you… I want you to know that, before you…” Seunghyun faltered. Jiyong was looking away, not even acknowledging his presence. Seunghyun felt hurt, and pleaded, “Jiyong… at least let me see your face, one last time.”

Jiyong slowly turned, facing Seunghyun. He smiled bitterly as he Seunghyun’s face, feeling the familiar silky cheeks of his beloved. His voice was weak and barely audible, but he managed to say, “Seunghyun… I’m glad we got to have that one night stand, but I’m afraid it was my last stand. Tell them I said goodbye and that… I’ll miss you guys.” Jiyong closed his eyes before adding, “…I love you too, Seungie.”

Seunghyun felt his grip loosening from Jiyong’s hand and his arm fell to his side. Seunghyun caught his final glimpse of Jiyong’s face, full of regret and sadness, before the doors closed, separating him from his love.

--

Sorry this one took so long... Thank you to my wonderful editor~ :3

Thanks for all the views and subcriptions, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!