verse four

Of Riddles and Songs

 

 

Junsu slipped out of the studio while his manager hyung was busy talking on his phone. The former had been looking forward for an opportunity to escape the day’s schedule. So, the moment that his Yunho hyung wasn’t looking his way, Junsu went out.

He walked down halls, climbed up staircases and run down them again. He was looking for someone he didn’t know, in a place that was, somehow, unfamiliar to him. He went out to the gardens, and then back in to the cafeteria, but he couldn’t find it – her. His mobile phone rang wildly, but he didn’t take notice of it. Junsu didn’t want to fail, at least not in this task.

Junsu pushed the thirtieth floor button on the elevator pad and waited until he arrived at the destination. It was a flight of stairs short for the rooftop, where he was sure he had a glimpse of a person – a woman – with long hair. Of course he wasn’t certain that it was her, but it wouldn’t hurt to look, right?

Or so he tried to convince himself.

And he tried some more.

He was still too busy telling himself that he’d be alright to find someone else up at the rooftop, to realize that he had already climbed the last flight of stairs and was about to push the door open when it was yanked out of his reach.

“Junsu-sshi!”

Her sweet voiced exclamation woke him up from his reverie. He looked up to find a flushed-face lady in her early twenties. She had long wavy hair with side bangs that almost reached her eyes. She was donned in a simple tube-cut dress shirt and black slacks. She smelled of faint vanilla, contrasting his cool air scent.

“Riin-sshi…” he greeted her with a half-smile and a half-pant. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

She smiled back at him – something that Jang Riin never ceased doing – before answering his question. The rooftop was her home at the office. It was where she went to think and think and, maybe, think a little more.

Riin stood aside to let Junsu through, and she was just about to bow goodbye to him when she felt a hand on her arm, stopping her from going anywhere.

“Stay?” he asked. “Keep me company for a while.”

She nodded in reply and followed as Junsu walked towards the edge, leaning against the wall. She did the same, and watched the streets below them. They kept quiet for a while, neither of them knowing what to say to the other because neither knew anything about the other. Or Junsu didn’t know much about the lady beside him while she was too shy to say a word.

“So,” Junsu began, making Riin turn to look at him. “I wanted to apologize, personally, about the other day. I’m sorry I snapped at you.”

Riin stared at him for a while. Didn’t he already apologize? She thought.

“And I realized that it’s impossible for you to know nothing about music with the kind of family you have. So, yeah, i made a big clown of myself.”

Junsu knew, for a fact, that Jang Riin’s family was composed of musicians. President Jang, for example, was a solo performer when he was younger. Riin’s Jaejoong oppa played the piano really well and, as he had told Junsu years ago, if he wasn’t supposed to carry on with JK Entertainment, the older man would have been a full-time pianist. Her mother, on the other hand, used to play the violin with the Seoul Harmonic Orchestra before she married the younger Mr. Jang.

“You don’t have to be sorry, Junsu-sshi,” Riin interrupted softly. “I understand and it is perfectly fine.”

Junsu nodded at her statement. He turned to look at her for a while, observed her face and her changing expressions as she watched the world below them. He smiled, silently and only to himself. He revelled in that moment, never did he spend a quiet time with another person and enjoy it. It truly was something new, something he thought could never happen. Well, at least, not again.

“Do you play any music?”

“My favourite instrument is the violin,” Riin answered with a smile. “Do you?”

“Piano. My mom taught me how,” Junsu replied before another round of comfortable silence loomed over them.

“I – I really liked the song,” Riin broke the silence. “I mean, your voice was really good. I am a big fan of yours.”

Junsu flustered. He felt his face heating up because of Riin’s compliment. He didn’t send the song to her so he could make a fan out of her. He just wanted her to hear the song. He thought that he owed her that much.

“I doubt that I gave it justice, though. The composer is really good. I love all the songs that she’d written for me,” Junsu explained, showing a bit more of himself to the lady beside him.

“Actually, I—“ Riin started but was interrupted by a loud ring.

It was Junsu’s mobile phone. He raised a hand towards before her, asking for a moment. He pressed the device to his ear only to hear his manager hyung’s shouting on the other end. He had to move the phone away from him to keep him from getting deaf. Yunho was livid because of his disappearance. And he wanted the young singer to come back to the dance studio.

Junsu sighed, he nodded and told Yunho that he’d be there in a short while. Without letting the other man respond, though, Junsu had slid the LCD part down, and put it back to his pocket. He turned back at the beauty who had resumed her watch on the earth.

“Jang Riin-sshi...”

“Yes, Junsu-sshi?”

“Can we be friends?” he asked and waited for an answer.

Minutes passed, though, and Riin didn’t say a word. He hung his head low, as he turned to walk back to the door. But just as he was to reach for the knob, he heard the angelic voice ring through his ear.

“I’d love that.”