verse one

Of Riddles and Songs

 

The sounds of the flat screen television blared and filled the otherwise lifeless room. It was featuring the evening news but, it seemed, the only occupant of the area wasn’t interested in any of what was shown.

She was lying on her queen-sized bed, covered with a thick blanket from her neck down. Her hair laid on her shoulders, dishevelled, looking almost unkempt and messy. Her eyes were focused on the television as frames were shown one after the other.

The news was all but appealing to her.

She didn’t care if the Prime Minister’s trip to the United States was cancelled because of an ambiguous dispute with the latter’s political leaders. It didn’t matter if there was going to be another price hike for all petroleum products. And it sure didn’t faze her when the news anchor talked about the conviction of famous actor Kim Heechul’s murderer, who turned out to be the male lover of the former’s male companion.

All those things meant nothing to her.

They weren’t of any importance in her life.

The moment another man’s photograph flashed on the screen, however, her eyes became glazed with appreciation and excitement.

“Singer Kim Junsu of JK Entertainment released another chart-topping album, it seems. Reminiscence is the singer’s fourth album since his debut, summer of 2004. Twenty-three year old Kim is said to go on an Asian Tour if his new album breaks his last record sales. But by the looks of the first market week of Reminiscence, Kim should already be preparing for a world tour…”

A picture of Kim Junsu’s album cover and of the singer’s himself was flashed on the screen. It was the last frame shown on the flat-screen television before it was turned off by remote control.

And, once again, the room was engulfed by darkness. But even though no other light existed in the area at that very moment, the only person there would not be able to deny the smile that had spread across her face.

She waited for a while, waited for the excitement in her heart to die down. Then, she lifted the thick duvet off her body so she could get out of bed. She didn't bother switching on any light as she ambled towards the grand piano in the middle of her room. Sitting on the wooden bench, she let her hands lift the partition that covered the ivory keys.

With lithe fingers ghosting over the black and white, she closed her eyes and let the melody surround her being. It was a tune she knew by heart.

It was the tune of her heart.