verse thirteen

Of Riddles and Songs

 

 

 

verse thirteen

 

 

 

 

It wasn’t that Riin was surprised. Well, maybe not that much. But looking at the Kim Junsu right then, it all seemed too surreal, too much of a dream for her. It was a fantasy. Riin felt as if she was in a parallel universe, where everything was so right.

 

But it didn’t feel right.

 

“Junsu-ah, please here me out first,” Riin said softly but with all the strength and courage she could muster. She was about to continue when her mobile rang, but she tried to carry on. “I am –“

 

It rang again.

 

“Go on, answer it first. I can wait.”

 

She nodded her head, slipping her hand into her bag to retrieve her phone. She noted the caller before pressing the device to her ear. Mumbling a silent hello, her eyes immediately went wide at Jaejoong’s first statement.

 

The next moment, the mobile phone laid motionless and forgotten on the floor, its owner crying in the arms of the only man she loved. She couldn’t speak – couldn’t tell Junsu what was wrong. It wasn’t until he struggled to pick up her discarded mobile did he learn what had happened. So he took her in his arms, and ran past everyone at the restaurant, instructing the manager to just send him the bill.

 

He eased himself and Riin into the car, told his driver where to go, and continued to soothe the broken creature in his arms. He caressed her back, held her tight, whispered things into her ears, hopeful that he’d be able to help and lessen her pain. But he didn’t know what to do. He had no idea how to tell her that things were to be alright – especially when her grandfather was in the hospital.

 

Junsu felt hopeless.

 

Yet he knew that he had to be strong for her.

 

When they reached the hospital, Riin still wouldn’t move. If it wasn’t for her tightening her arms around Junsu’s neck, he wouldn’t think that she heard his words. And, with a sigh – of hopelessness and desperation – the young singer heaved both of them out of the vehicle and onto the awaiting platform outside.

 

“Riin-ah,” he called her name, lowering her to her feet.

 

He stood still, supporting her until she could walk on her own. He held her hand in his to guide her through the hallways.

 

Junsu asked around – the nurses – if they knew which room President Jang was in. Fortunately, the one who charted him heard Junsu’s pleas and escorted them to where the rest of the Jang family was.

 

“Appa…” Riin called out as she ran towards her father. She never stopped crying and even now the she was in her own father’s arms, Riin still couldn’t stop crying. “What happened, appa? How’s gandpa?” she asked in between sobs.

 

The younger Mr. Jang held on to his beloved daughter. He whispered to her. Everything will be alright. Grandpa will be fine.

 

Junsu kept his eyes on her, deciding whether to stay or to just go and leave. Just as he was about to turn, the door of the emergency room slid open and out came the doctor. Jaejoong was the first to stand up and ask for details, while Riin remained in her father’s arms, but looked up in anticipation.

 

The doctor heaved a breath and smiled. “He’ll be alright. It was only a minor attack. We’ll have him back,” he assured everyone. “Can anyone of you follow me to my office? Mr. Jang or Jaejoong?”

 

Mr. Jang bobbed his head and tried to push Riin onto her feet. Junsu moved closer to her – to support her again – but Jaejoong got to the broken lady first.

 

Junsu was at a loss.

 

“Come on, Rinnie, let’s go and get grandpa a suite.”

 

They walked – slowly – with Jaejoong almost carrying the other. And they passed Junsu as if he wasn’t even there.

 

 


 

 

it's short. i know. sorry about that. >.<