verse eleven

Of Riddles and Songs

 

 

verse eleven

 

 

 

 

Junsu ambled down hallways like a zombie. Yunho had given him the rest of the day off after the Press Conference after much prodding from a certain Lee Yeonhee  and now he had nothing to do. Well, nothing but think, that is. His earlier conversation with his hyung was on repeat mode in his mind, he could even hear the older man's voice and his changing tones.

Jaejoong left Junsu in a daze.

It was given a known fact that the famous Kim Junsu, the singer, the star, had fallen in love with the shy and elusive Jang Riin. Fine, maybe not. Maybe it was obvious to only those who knew him well. Maybe they noticed before Junsu ever found out about his so-called falling. Maybe Junsu really was whipped.

Yeonhee knew the moment she came back. She noticed how Junsu stole glances of the younger lady blushing for no reason  and she felt the growing burden in his heart. But Yeonhee didn't understand because, no matter how long she had known her oppa, she still couldn't read his mind. Yeonhee could just feel his heart. And she knew, Junsu really was moving on. Finally.

Yunho saw how Junsu's eyes glistened at the mention of Jang Riin. It never happened before in the years that he'd known the younger man. He knew that Junsu was in love with his girl best friend from childhood, but she could never love him back. The young manager also noticed that his talent was out-of-it during his alone times, mostly just fiddling with his phone, as if trying to decide from calling to sending an SMS to doing nothing at all. It seemed that he'd more often than not  opt for the last one. So Yunho hid the papers and folders from Junsu, hoping that time will come that the latter will find things out on his own. Yunho didn't like meddling with fate. And he knew that those two are meant to be together.

But Junsu's indecisiveness wasn't what made that day reek of something strange. It was a bit of confusion and a whole lot of fear and anger. He was confused, but not as to whether he liked Riin in that way or not. As a matter of fact, Junsu knew for sure what he felt, and that scared his wits out of him.

But Junsu was never forbidden to feel anything for anybody.

Yeonhee had asked Junsu to forget his romantic feelings for her. It was back when they were still in elementary school, during one Valentine's Day, when he had taken that one very deep breath, clutching tightly to an inexpensive bouquet of roses  Yeonhee's favourite flower with a shaking right hand. His left was hidden inside his pants pocket, so as not to show how nervous he really was. He found the girl whom he believed was the one in his dreams sitting in front of his other friend, giggling and ogling, without her knowing, rendering the younger lad frozen in his path. Seeing Junsu standing a few feet away, Jaejoong excused himself, muttering an unheard alibi.

It was different. In Junsu's eyes, Yeonhee was right in telling him not to love her. But Jaejoong didn't have a say on the matter at hand. Cousin or not, he had no authority to dictate. And as much as Junsu looked up to his hyung, he just couldn't do what he was told.

Simply because he wanted happiness.

And Jang Riin seemed to have what it takes to make him the happiest person on earth.

Junsu stopped dead at the building lobby. He had in his hand his mobile with his finger poised on pressing a speed-dial key. A sudden realization hit him, though, and glancing at his watch, he was relieved that he didn't make the call. Instead, Junsu pressed on the menu button and typed a SMS.







She didn't try to hide the smile that made its appearance on her lips, as she thought of an appropriate response. Fortunately, her professor couldn't make it to class and decided to let them know in advance. She was free to go and do whatever she wanted.

Normally, Riin would go to the company building and observe things and processes and how they were done. Or, sometimes, she would just go home and do something.

However, it seemed that she'd be doing something entirely different from her routines. So, Riin walked to the parking lot, towards her car, while humming a new song to herself. She drove out of the school campus and downtown to where they had agreed to meet.

Whimsical always had a different effect on Riin. It was something she couldn't point out, but she loved that feeling it made her giddy, in a way and the place, as well. The restaurant was owned by a couple who were both passionate about food, wine, and love. They made it a point that Whimsical had all that. Luscious cuisines and excellent wines, served in a luxuriously and elegantly designed space just for that  coupled with having a good time with whomever you are with.

Junsu seemed preoccupied a bit  and Riin had to let it slide because, she thought, who is she to question? Instead, she asked about the reporters and how they reacted to Junsu's answers. She blushed furiously when he told her about that part when they asked about her. She thanked him for his kind words, mentally slapping herself for not being able to say something better.

A comfortable silence stretched between them. They focused on the food while stealing glances at each other every now and then, smiling and laughing whenever they got caught. But they didn't talk, words weren't needed when they could just sit there and enjoy each others company.

The silence was breeched after the main dish, by a waiter who approached them, asking if they wanted dessert or some more wine. Junsu looked at Riin, waiting for what she would order.

Settling for a slice of heavenly Pick-me-up cake, both shared more stories about each other. Riin told about her experiences during high school. It was around that time when JK Entertainment had shown her to the world. She was kept hidden before that, her grandfather didn't want many of the people they didn't know to complicate her life. So, she lived, until high school, a very ordinary life  well except the fact that she was adopted which she left unsaid because Junsu didn't need to know that, at least not yet. Junsu, then, shared to her his story back when his family lived in Shichuan. When he had met Jaejoong and Yeonhee. It was when he had learned to play the piano and fell in love for the first time or so he thought and had his first heartbreak. He told of his life before singing and training and being popular and how he hates the fame but loves the music. He told her about his favourite composer an unknown being who gives him, if not ones of the best, the best songs in the world.

The late lunch extended well into the evening, the couple sharing more stories over cups of coffee or another slice of cake. They seemed to not tire at all and it was certain that they wouldn't have decided to separate for the night had it not been for Jaejoong's call on Riin's mobile, demanding that she come home that instant.

Dreading that something bad had happened at home, Riin bowed her apologies to Junsu and reached home not more that half an hour later. She found her oppa pacing at the front porch, waiting.

"Jae oppa," Riin called, "what happened?"

"You're late," Jaejoong stated. "You've never came home this late before. Is this what Kim Junsu is teaching you, huh?"

"Oppa... you're over reacting." And Riin proceeded to go inside the house where she grew up in.

She greeted her parents good night and went up the stairs to her grandfather's room. She kissed him on the cheek and hugged him so tight. She then locked herself in her room and sat in front of the piano instead to going to bed. She tried to put into writing the melody that was in her mind all day, the notes pouring out the moment her finger touched the ivory keys. She almost had half the song finished when she heard the soft beep of her mobile. She rummaged through her bag, in search of the tiny device. The moment Riin found it she flipped it open and clicked on the read button without noticing who the sender was.

Her heart stopped.

I like you...