Goodbye, Goodbye, Goodbye

Hyukjae, My Hand

They had been called together one final time. It was difficult to gather everyone under one roof, what with Donghae living in another apartment and Heechul always outside of the dorms, visiting friends and filling his free time as much as possible. Hyukjae had sent the invitations for a goodbye dinner, sleepover Sungmin called it. They would all stay in the dorms one last time, to say farewell to their leader.

Except for Kibum and Hangeng. Heechul had tried desperatly to get hold of both, but their assistants shot Heechul down. Apparently Leeteuk's farewell wasn't important enough for the two missing members to leave their schedules.

The first to arrive was Donghae. He walked into the twelfth floor and ran to his room, throwing his heavy bag of clothes and sleepover equipment onto his old bed. He could not hear anyone in the dorm, he must have come earlier than expected. His phone said it was 7, and dinner started at 7.30-

The wall clock said 4.

Donghae must have reset the time rather than the alarm.

Slapping himself on the forehead, he fell onto his bed, laughing at his mistake. He wondered if Hyukjae would find it funny.

Looking around the room, he could barely remember how he had decorated it. There was a fan sketch on the wall next to his bed, and speakers at the end of his bed. It had been cozy, he recalled. However, he had spent the majority of his final year at the dorm in Hyukjae's room, sneaking in whenever he could. Once you get accustomed to sleeping in a bed with someone else, it becomes difficult to make due with a pillow.

He recalled the trek down to Hyukjae's room. He hated disturbing the members - they were aware of their relationship by the time they started sleeping together (5 months of hidden hand holding and chaste kisses made it very clear they were no longer 'just friends') but he still hated waking them. Most members could not date as comfortably as him and Hyukjae. Although Hyuk would have said their situation was anything but comfortable.

At least they can date without being rejected by society.

Donghae would tip toe out of his room. Too scared to close the door, he would leave it open a crack. He would slide across the floorboards, minimizing sound, until he reached the door. He would do this quickly, open it and shut it almost simultaneously so it would sound like a sound from the heaters. Once outside, he would literally run downstairs, then do the whole routine backwards until he was in Hyukjae's arms.

His thoughts were disturbed when he heard the door slam shut, followed by two yelling men.

"This is entirely your fault!" A voice that sounded like Kangin's boomed across the walls. Donghae, out of instinct, ducked under the bed covers.

"If you hadn't been so stupidly lazy and idiotic, this would not be happening! He could stay!" Kangin's voice was getting rougher. Donghae heard someone else screech.

"You blubbering buffoon! This is anything BUT my fault! How DARE you treat me with such little respect!" Heechul high pitched sheiks harshly contrasted Kangin's booming shouts. Donghae slowly made his way out of bed and closer to the door, listening in.

"Really? Because it seems like if you had not made the decision to stay, he would not be going!" Donghae was curious - were his hyung's talking about him?

"The army deciding Jungsu is serving active duty had nothing to do with an alleged decision I made." Heechul lowered his voice, hissing. Donghae realized - Kangin must have only just found out Leeteuk was going to have to serve in the army, not on public service. "If you recall, there's this handy little metal joint still in my leg, smaller, but still there. In training, they made me a medic, not a soldier. I was not cut out for it - I can barely dance!"

"Jungsu is our leader, did it never cross your mind that if you served public service, there was no way ANY of the remaining members would be allowed to?" Kangin sounded hurt, but furious - a papa bear taking care of someone near and dear. Donghae knew, however, this was not wise. Kangin had missed a lot. Things were different.

"Did it ever cross your mind that YOU WERE NOT HERE?" Heechul threw something, Donghae heard it. "You, the father, were not here, because of a stupid decision your stupid self made! Do you know how upset Jungsu was? YOU LEFT. YOU LEFT HIM WITHOUT A BEST FRIEND. These decision we made, him and I, were between us two. Did it ever cross you mind that I may have ASKED to serve active duty? Did it? DID IT?" Heechul was practically crying, Donghae could hear his voice cracking.

"Heechul." A soft voice entered the conversation. Donghae peaked out of the door to see Jungsu exiting Heechul's room. He looked tired, exhausted, but his eyes were no where near as red as Heechul's. The diva of Super Junior looked on the verge of crying the Han river. Donghae gulped back a cry, seeing three of the heads of his group like this.

Leeteuk motioned for Heechul to go into his room. Heechul sent one last glare at Kangin, before retreating into his room. Jungsu looked behind him to ensure that he was safe, then closed the door behind him as he walked to Kangin.

"Yongwoon."

"Jungsu." Kangin was still shaking. "I was trying to understand. I was so upset, someone who works so hard, who looks after us so well, would have to serve what I served. I paid my dues, but you have none to pay, and because of him-"

"Because of him I am still here, happy, well, and healthy. Heechul took care of me when everything just fell apart. When Kibum left, Heechul would be there to back me up. When Hangeng left, despite his own pain, he was there to comfort me. And when you left, of your own accord, do you know who helped keep me out of depression? That man." Jungsu was fuming, his words cutting into Kangin's argument like knives. The younger remained silent, so he continued.

"Heechul has taken care of me from day one. He has gone through so much, and gotten so much flack for it, but he still looked after me. I owe him so much. When there were talks of the two of us leaving, he sacrificed himself. He said he would go early, just to make sure I could stay longer. If he had done his service at the correct time, I would not be here now - I'd be doing it with him. You would have come back to an empty dorm."

"But Jungsu, he should have not taken this role, he should have-"

"HOW DARE YOU." Donghae fell back. Seeing Leeteuk that angry was rare, something he only saved for occasions where he needed total control or when he was genuinely so angry, he could commit murder. Donghae could not imagine how painful this must have been for Kangin.

"YOU FOOL. You think Heechul waltzed up to the army and asked for public service? He ASKED for active service. Outright asked. But they checked his medical conditions and said no, it would be unsafe, despicably considering the climate our country's government is in right now. They said NO. HE ASKED, FOR MY SAKE, BUT WAS REFUSED. And then, whenever they gave him something to do, people would still criticize him! He got so much hate! He was home crying every night! Then, he had to watch us prepare for my final album, something he wanted to be apart of so desperately. On his own birthday, not only did he not get to see us because we had promotions, but he almost DIED from sasaeng fans. And you did not even realize!"

Leeteuk spun around and walked towards Heechul's room, leaving Kangin speechless. Before entering, he turned to face his old best friend once more.

"Youngwoon, I used to have so much respect for you. I thought you would be kinder. But you cannot even recognize how times have changed. You left us. You left me. Heechul was there, and went through so much to keep me sane. Yet you treat him no better than dirt. He is your friend, band mate, hyung. And you manage to make him feel useless." Leeteuk glared into Kangin's eyes. Donghae watched, scared.

"You changed, Youngwoon, on the inside." Leeteuk opened Heechul's door and walked inside, slamming it behind him. Donghae stared at Kangin, who remained composed. The man had learned to contain emotions while in the army. He simply stared at the door, before walking out of the dorm. Once the main door shut, Donghae could have sworn he heard a fist punch the wall from outside.

A silent sob ghosted through the dorm, a 'shush'ing sound following it. Donghae stood up and walked towards Heechul's door, as quiet as possible. There was a slight crack he could see through (slamming dorm doors never worked, they always bounced slightly back.) Leeteuk was sitting upright on the bed, his back against the wall. Heechul had his head buried in the older's chest, his tears being soaked up by Leeteuk's shirt. Leeteuk was Heechul's hair softly, holding back his own tears.

"I should have just gone to war." Heechul mummered. Leeteuk shook his head.

"Don't listen to him, Heenim."

"I should have. You're having to desert them now. It's not fair. They need you, not me."

"Heenim..." Leeteuk pulled Heechul up, so they were now sitting opposite each other. "You are amazing. What you did for the group, for me, was more than anyone could have asked for." He brought their foreheads together. "You have been so strong, despite everything. You took care of me when your own world was crashing around you. Do you know how much I admire you for that?"

Heechul smiled, linking his fingers with Leeteuk's.

"You are my hero, Heenim." Leeteuk pulled in Heechul for a hug, holding him close. Heechul's sobs began to subside, while Leeteuk's tears began to fall. The two oldest men were doing everything not to break apart - they were leaning on each other so much, and only now was it clear. Donghae wondered how he could not have figured it out. He didn't know if they were in love, but they needed each other. They were the pillars, not only of Super Junior, but of each other.

"Can we rest?" Heechul finally broke the silence. Donghae couldn't see Leeteuk smile, but he knew it was there as the older man pulled them both down to rest their heads on the pillows, still in an embrace.

"Thank you." Heechul said, closing his eyes.

"No, thank you." Leeteuk places a chaste kiss on Heechul's forehead, and the two started to rest. Donghae backed away, feeling a wave of guilt pass over him for intruding on the leader's privacy. It was nothing intimate, that he saw, but it was still rare for Leeteuk to ever express his close friendships to other members. He was very possessive of his feelings, and did not like to air his relationships with anyone - friends, family, coworkers, lovers, they were all kept secret.

Donghae walked to the door and headed downstairs. Hyukjae might be home. He had an hour or so before they both had to be at the big farewell dinner.

Donghae wondered what would happen if someone blamed him for something he had no control over. Would Hyukjae react in the same way? They were dating, so he was hoping Hyuk would be even fiercer. What if it was Junsu? Would Hyukjae break up with his best friend just to defend Donghae?

When Hyukjae answered the door to the 11th floor, he realized he did not care. Heechul and Jungsu were in a very different situation. They were under so much pressure, but for different reasons. It was different, so he could not compare. Their friendship was nothing like his relationship.

"Hae, why are you-"

Donghae pressed his lips onto Hyukjae's, entangling his arms around the other's shoulders. Hyukjae initially tried to push him off, but realized they were in privacy, the other members were in their respective rooms. It was okay.

They were okay.