Legend 8

The Fox Legend


The moment she opened her eyes, she knew something was not right. Her ceiling was supposed to be red and not white and her bed wasn't this huge and comfortable as far as she remembered. Immediately, she shot up from the bed and looked around the unfamiliar room.

              The room was plain white, with only a huge bed in the middle of the room. Even the bed was covered with the softest white blankets and sheets she had ever seen. Stumbling over the huge bed, she walked to the door and landed her hand on the knob. Turning it once, she realized that it was locked. Locked from the outside.

              "Jinki?" Surprisingly, the first name she thought of was him. But there was no response.

              And everything starts to hit her directly in her face, the reason why she was here, the reason why she was alone, and the reason why she was locked in.

              Fear starts to take over her body as she pounded really hard on the door, hoping for someone to hear. But what did she expect when the whole mansion was empty and only Jinki, Taemin and Pixie were living here? Apparently Jinki won't release her since he was the one that locked her up. Taemin too, he was his dongsaeng and it was needless to talk about Pixie.

              "Jinki!" She yelled, at least she wanted an explanation from him about why was she locked up.

              After a while, she gave up. Dragging her lethargic body to the other side of the bed, she squatted down and stayed in the darkest corner with her knees up to her chest.

              The reason why she was locked...she came up with a few ideas.

              Because she knew about their true identity and they had to silence her? The way to silence her was to turn her into prisoner(?) or a fox(?).

              Crap, she thought. What the was she thinking? How was that even possible? Even though Jinki locked her up, how can she forget how good Jinki treated her all the time? Yet she thought about those things that turns Jinki out into a devil.

              Come to think of it, Hongki was facing danger too. From what she remembered, the conversation she came upon not only talk about Jinki and Taemin being a fox but also Hongki BECOMING a fox. She can't forget how tense the atmosphere was because it was suffocating her so much.

              She doesn't know how long she had been staring at the same direction but the light coming in from the window became dimmer as time goes by. It was night time now and the only source of light was from the moon.

              Suddenly, the door cracked open and she wasn't sure if she wanted to see who was coming in. Until then, she had her attention in the same direction until that certain someone came and stood in front of her.

              "Rein," his gentle voice echoed. She did not response to him. Instead, she kept herself together making her frame as small as possible. She had no idea why she was afraid of him, was it because he wasn't human? But he's still Jinki.

              "Rein, I did this for your own good. I know you will surely go to Hongki if I don't do this but...you will be in a dangerous situation if you stick to Hongki all the time. It's a crucial period now because none of us know what's going to happen to him at any time of the day."

              "That doesn't mean you could lock me up like this. Am I your prisoner?" She retorted, looking up at him finally.

              The way Jinki stares into her eyes with care, she could easily be melted into that kind of eye contact but not now. She was not going to give in this time. She loves him, but she can't forgive everything.

              "I'm sorry; I had to do this because I love you. I don't want to lose you."

              "Lose me? How? Why are you losing me if I'm accompanying Hongki? You don't trust me?"

              "It's not about trust, Rein!"

              "Then what!?"

              "Because if Hongki lost his sanity and became a fox, he won't know you! He would easily tear your head off your neck without mercy. By that time, you're nothing but food to him."

              And that answer stops Rein from retorting any further. It sends a shiver down her spine knowing that it was so dangerous to be with Hongki at this point of time.

              Both of them kept quiet but Jinki didn't want to leave the room. He doesn't want to leave her alone in the room but it seemed like she didn't even want him to be in the same room as her. He was thinking, he was thinking about their relationship now that Rein learned about his true identity. Like, how can anyone accept their other half to be a creature instead of human? And the worst thing is, they haven't even started dating.

              Jinki knew that their relationship won't go anywhere but he just wanted to give it a try. He doesn't care if he was going to become a fox soon because with all the time he had left, he will use it to love and cherish Rein.

              Sighing, he walked away and out of the room. Bending down as soon as he was in the doorway, he picked up the Rilakkuma bear that he got for Rein at the arcade. He knew that Rein really love the bear so he got it from her house and left it outside the room, giving it to her if he got the chance.

              He caressed the bear before heading back into the room and placed it neatly on the bed. He was sure that Rein was having mixed feelings and he would like to understand her considering that it wasn't a small matter but a big blow to her. He knew that she needed to quiet down and have some time thinking and even though he doesn't have much time left. He doesn't want to rush her.

              And that's the problem. Rein doesn't know that Jinki have time limit and that he was going to turn back into a fox soon.

Taemin stood before the door that divides the corridor and Hongki's house. He doesn't know if he's at home, he's just trying his luck. He don't even know why he's here, it's just a gut feeling that he should be here to check out on him.

              "Hongki!" He pounded on the door while waiting for someone to answer it. Strangely, he smelled something, something…like blood? But before he could even squat down and find out where the scent comes from, the doorknob clicked once.

              Hongki wasn’t behind the door holding it anymore, he watched as Hongki dragged his feet away to the couch without bothering to ask him why is he even here.

               “Hongki?” Taemin closed the door and walked towards him. “How do you feel?”

              Hongki closed his eyes and lay dead on the couch. Taking a deep breath, his lips cracked open, “Dying.”

              Taemin sighed, not knowing what to do or say after seeing how Hongki was like now. It’s not like he care anyway…it’s just…curiosity? Yeah that’s what he told himself.

               “You know,” Hongki started a conversation. “Rein was the first human friend I’d made.”

              Taemin’s eyes widen at his sentence. He’s not surprised that Rein was his first human friend; he was surprised that Hongki is trying to strike up a conversation and it’s about Rein. Upon that, Taemin take that as a cue for him to sit down and listen.

               “Rein was different from others,” Hongki sighed with a small weak smile.

 

“Hey.”

              Hongki looked up from his plate of food. It was lunch break now an as usual, he was eating alone. The moment he looked up, he saw a girl holding a tray of food and staring at him. With the food full in his mouth, he looked behind him to check if the girl was talking to the person behind him. It was weird, considering that no one talks to him.

               “You’re talking to me?” He asked the moment he swallowed the food. He almost choked on the remaining because he was so anxious to know the answer. The girl raised one of her brows and smiled awkwardly. “I guess you’re the only one here?” She said.

              Hongki was stunned for a moment; he was surprised, before noticing that the girl was still standing before him with a tray of food. “Do you…do you want to sit down first?”

              She glanced at her food and back at Hongki. “Yeah that’s what I’m here for,” she mumbled to herself and sighed before sitting down. Hongki lowered his head again to continue eating. He didn’t think much about it, he just thought that maybe there are no seats around and she had to ask if she could sit with him.

               “So,” she started, “I heard you’re Hongki.”

              He looked up from eating again. His eyes were wide opened by the time he realized what she just said. “Yeah? I’m Hongki. Do you need something from me?”

              The girl bit her bottom lip, “Do I need something from you if I wanted to be your friend?”

              Hongki almost choked on his food. He didn’t answer immediately because he’s not sure if he was hearing things right. Until when the images of a new girl coming into his class this morning, then he realized she was the new girl.

               “You’re Rein Kingsley?” He asked after swallowing.  

 

Taemin bit his lips and look at the side of Hongki’s face. It was weird, but he could feel the loneliness lingering around Hongki whenever he was around. It was like Hongki was destined to be alone but then again this girl called Rein is willing to come into his world, and maybe that was what made Hongki fall in love with her. Strangely, Taemin felt the pit of his stomach flipping, like something was reacting to what Hongki said and made him feel the same way as Hongki does.

               “She was so kind,” Hongki continued as he took a deep breath.

 

“Why are you always alone?” Rein asked when the both of them walked to the class together after lunch. Hongki was still confused, as to why this girl was talking to him out of a sudden and acting like they’re friends, or maybe they really are.

               “Because no one wants to befriend with me,” he answered casually like it was the most natural thing on Earth. He was used to it already, sadly.

               “Well, why? Are you arrogant or not human or something?” Rein asked jokingly with her hands hugging her books together tightly against her chest.

              But Hongki doesn’t take that as a joke, although he still laughed it off. “Yeah maybe I’m not a human that’s why,” he mumbled.

               “It’s okay; I’m your friend now.” Rein patted on his shoulder with a grin, and Hongki was staring at the hand on his shoulder so much that it kind of creep her already. “Thanks,” he mouthed to her before the both of them entered the classroom.

 

“The more often we are together, the faster I realized that I was falling for her already.” He said with his elbow on the arm of the couch and half of his face buried in his palm. “I really thought she loves me too, until I saw how nice she was to you and your brother.”

              Hongki’s face was extra paler by the time Taemin looked at him again. He closes his eyes and covered it with his other hand and that was when Taemin saw tears streaming down Hongki’s face.

               “The way she looked at Jinki was different,” he said with his lips trembling, “It was like he planted the stars in her sky, and my heart was aching so badly.”

              The younger one remained quiet and the sound of Hongki sobbing could be heard in the living room.