Legend 11

The Fox Legend

“What did you say?” Jinki stood up from the seat as soon as Taemin stepped into the mansion. It wasn’t long before Rein was gone and now, another breaking news decided to fall on him.

               “Luna told the King about us, about you especially, regarding Rein.” The lad stood before his elder brother with a serious expression that he hadn’t been putting on for long. “—and he’s coming out now.”

              The older one gasped, his dried lips while putting a hand against his forehead. “,” He cursed quietly before dropping back down and slouched into the seat. “Wha— Did…did he say anything about Rein? Like her life or something?” He asked, looking at the floor with a despair expression, what if Rein got into trouble because of him? What if the King wanted Rein dead? What if—

               “No, I don’t want her life.”

              A huge and long bushy tail appeared before the brothers’ eyes, and out came the King.

              Jinki and Taemin immediately move themselves in order for the great white fox to jump onto the couch.

               “King,” They greeted, bowing their heads in silence.

               “Father, you mean.” The fox had his tail swinging at the back of him as he straightened his back with his forepaws in front of him as a support.

               “Father, what is it you want from Rein?” Jinki asked as though he’s interrogating his father, which Taemin felt scared for him. No one interrogates the King.

               “Rein? What is she? Why do I want anything from someone like her? She’s nothing, son.” The light gold eyes sparkled, “But I want the both of you, back, now.”

               “What? I thought we still have—”

               “I decide the life span of your human forms,” King cut in before Jinki could finish what he wanted to argue.

               “This is unreasonable,” Jinki said it flatly, “Just because you’re King? Really? Am I supposed to be like you if I take over your throne? An unreasonable old fellow?”

              Both the King and Taemin were shocked by Jinki’s words, especially Taemin, who have never seen Jinki talk back to the almighty King, and he knows jolly well what will happen if his brother angered their Father.

              Crap, Taemin thought, panicking for his brother’s safety. “I…I don’t think hyung mean it that way, I mean—”

               “I mean what I said.” Jinki took a deep breath before exhaling, “So I’m not going back, not yet. I’ve things not done.”

              Taemin swallowed his saliva as he took a glance of the King’s expression. He neither looked happy, nor pissed, and it was confusing him.

              Jinki gritted his teeth and did a formal bow out of a sudden, “This is a how human did their formal bow, and it’s a way of showing respect.”

              After he got up, he headed straight to the door with no words from anyone of them.

               “I respect you, and you know that. So I hope you will respect me too, for once. Just two more days, please, Father.” And he left the mansion without looking back.

              Just two more days, Rein, please be back by then.

Hongki’s claws were hurting Rein’s wrists so much that it started to bleed. “Pix—” She wanted to call for Pixie, she had no choice now, but her lips were once again captured by Hongki who them so hungrily that her lips turned swollen and red.

              Pixie knew that something wasn’t right, she sensed Rein’s overwhelming fear, and she knew she had to do something. Even though Hongki was the brothers’ friend, she couldn’t care less now.

              Rein heard the wolf’s growl before letting out a scream when Pixie suddenly pound on the weight above her, and when she saw how Pixie pierced into Hongki’s neck with her sharp fangs,  she screamed even louder.

              Hongki fell onto the ground and groaned, with his hands on the bite mark that Pixie left. It seemed like he was normal again.

               “Hongki!” Rein stumbled down the couch and crawled towards Hongki, with the wolf padding around her defensively, ready to attack if Hongki ever do anything to hurt her  again.

              Hongki’s pale face became even paler, almost like the colour of his blond hair. “Can you hear me? Hongki!” Rein shook his shoulder and gasped when she saw blooding oozing out from the bite mark.

               “Whaa—” Hongki frowned, “What did I do to you…” He managed to squeeze out the words from his throat, and exhaled heavily after that. “You did nothing, you were good, Hongki, you were a good boy.” Rein ruffled his hair and smiled at him, she knew that wasn’t him, she knew it’s the beast inside him that’s acting up.

              Poor Hongki, you failed to own her. And now, you’re being treated as a retarded kid.

              He closed his eyes and when he opened them again, it featured pupils that appeared as a vertical slit. And Rein backed away at once.

              It was all because you were too weak.

              Hongki closed his eyes again, closing them so tightly that tears were squeezed out and slid down his face.

              I hurt Rein, he thought, because of the beast that I couldn’t control, I hurt her.

              He was quiet for a moment, a moment too long, and that’s when Rein decided to approach him again. “Hongki?” She nudged him on the shoulder.

              His lips moved, like he wanted to say something but was too tired to voice out. So Rein moved slowly and put her ear near Hongki’s mouth. At first she could only felt his breathing but after a while, she managed to form words in her mind of what Hongki’s was trying to say. And before she realized, his breathing died down.

               “I’m sorry, forgive me.

              That was the last thing Hongki said.

Jinki stared at the door in front of him before looking around to see if there’s anyone in the surrounding.

              He’s here, at Rein’s house, and he wasn’t expecting to find Rein here for he knew that she was at Hongki’s place. Sighing, he raised his hand but it came to a sudden halt near the doorbell.

              He heard noises from the inside, and it seemed like the person he was finding, was talking on the phone.

               “I told you I’m doing the report right now— I know it took a very long time but this is a very important research and I had to make sure that I do it without any flaws! – Of course I must have a lot of research if not how am I going to produce the report?”

              Jinki dropped his arm and leaned his forehead against the door. It was like he no longer have any strength, or bones, and he was leaning on his forehead against the door for support. Even his arms were dangling on either sides of his body, he sighed again.

              All the research that he heard from the voice inside, it means hunting. More research means more hunting, and more white foxes will be gone.  Which is why he had to do something about it, and that’s why he’s here.

               “Please, just give me few days I promise I will email you as soon as I finished it. I just need a little more info and I’ll be good! – No please! Please I really need the money, please let me finish this, I promise it’s really just a little bit left.”

              The word money made Jinki stood straight again. What has this got to do with money?

               “Yes, thank you very much. Really, thanks.”

              Before Jinki could press the doorbell, the door flew opened with Mike Kingsley having his equipment, looking as though he was going on a hunt.

               “Going for a hunt, Mr. Kingsley?” Jinki bowed at him at the first sight before questioning him. “You’re…ah, Jinki, what are you doing here? Rein isn’t home right now.” He said as he came out of the house. Before he could turn and lock the door, Jinki grabbed him by his arm and gave him a stare.

               “I’m sorry, I’m not finding Rein. Can I have a word with you?” He asked politely as he pushed open the door and dragged the older guy in. “What do you think you’re doing to an older guy? And I’m not free right now, Jinki.” Mike tore his arm away from Jinki’s grip as he gave him an irritated look.

               “You’re going to hunt more white foxes now?” Jinki said bluntly, leaving Mike in gasp.

               “How do you—“

               “Money,” Jinki cut in, “What does writing your report got to do with money?”

               “Wha—You eavesdropped on my conversation on the phone?” Mike snickered, “Really, who do you think you’re? You’re just a brat that’s interested in my daughter, why are you even speaking to me like that?”

               “I didn’t eavesdrop on you; you were talking on top of your voice. And yes I’m interested in your daughter, in fact I love her, but no I’m not a brat.” He retorted. “And you have not answered my question.”

              It has been forever since Jinki’s been this serious. The other time when he decided to disclose the truth to Rein, he wasn’t even this serious. It has now reached to the point that he doesn’t even have any expression on his face. Yes he can be cheerful and clumsy but when he’s serious, you won’t want to mess with him.

              Even Mike could sense the difference in his attitude. The last time he checked, Jinki was a polite and good kid, with a nice smile, not an ill-mannered and emotionless lad.

              Mike cleared his throat as he dumped his belongings on the ground before facing Jinki again. “Because I’m bankrupted.”

              Jinki was surprised, but he didn’t display any emotions. “Does Rein know?”

               “No, she doesn’t. She doesn’t have to. I’ll solve it myself.”

               “By what? Hunting white foxes?” Jinki glanced at Mike from the corner of his eyes, “And from what I remembered, you were doing it with a team of people. The credits will be split; it won’t be enough to cover your bankruptcy isn’t it?”

               “They are my friends and they’re willing to give their shares to me.” Mike rubbed his temples as he closed his eyes. “I know it’s not fair to them but I did a lot of job, I did most of the hunting and—“

               “Yes, you killed a lot of white foxes, so why do people like you get the most amount of share?”

               “What?” He raised his head and met with Jinki’s stare.

               “I said, why do people like you—” He paused while taking steps toward Mike until he was on the same eye level as him, “—get the most amount of money?”

              Mike stared into Jink’s fearless eyes and for some reason it made him feel scared for a second. “Why are you so concerned about white foxes?”

              Jinki stared at him for a bit more before he sigh, “You’re not going to believe it even if I tell you. Anyway—” He reached for the thumb-drive that was lying on the coffee table and headed to the master room, “I’ll complete your report for you, so stop hunting for white foxes because I know them better than you know your daughter.” He said it aloud along the corridor.

               “What? Hey, wait, what makes you think I believe that you’re more capable than me to complete the report?” Mike pounded on the door to his own bedroom after realizing Jinki locked himself inside.

               “Just give me one day. Tomorrow at this timing I’ll give you a completed one.” Jinki said as he leaned against the door, playing with the thumb-drive in his hand. 

              Please Rein, come back, I want to see you.