Chapter 34

The Showdown

Yay! 4000 views and 80 subscribers.  If you told me back in March that the response was going to be like this I would have called you crazy.  Thanks fo much for your loyalty and support through this.

 

I debated whether or not to include this chapter as it is kind of filler, but it's keytae filler.  I originally did not write this chapter and and went back later to include it, which I have never done before because I always try to write my chapters linearly, but in the end I just really love the sentiment behind this chapter.  It is kind of a song-fic chapter.  The first fanfictions I ever wrote were Naruto song fics, so this is kind of harkening back to my roots in a way.  Anyway I hope you enjoy.

 

 

Chapter 34

 

Taemin hated needles.  It was about an hour into his third time awake in the hospital that he realized that there was an IV in his hand.  The bandaging didn’t fool him, there was a great big needle sticking out of his hand!  He became aware of this fact, because the nurses had come in to change out the needle, it had been in too long they said and they wanted it to switch it to his other hand so that the current hand could heal up.

 

Intellectually he understood just how stupid his fear was, but it was a phobia – logic doesn’t come into play.  Key and Minho happened to be there at the time the nurses came in to switch the IV.  Taemin felt his breath hitching in his chest painfully. 

 

“Mr. Lee, if you can’t calm down then we will need to sedate you again.” One of the dozens of nameless nurses who had paraded through his room over the last few days told him.

 

Taemin shook his head, he didn’t want to be sedated again.  He only had so much energy to be awake these days and he didn’t want to have to sleep any more than his body already demanded.  “No, no please no.  I’ll calm down I promise, just give me a minute.”

 

Taemin tried to slow his breathing and Minho tried to message the dancer’s shoulders which always calmed him down, but Taemin still was on the edge of panic and frustrated tears were starting to gather at the corners of his eyes.

 

“Let me try.” Key’s calm voice said.  He laid his thin hands on either side of Taemin’s face and turned his head away from the waiting nurse and the IV and towards himself.  “Look at me yeobo, just look at me alright.”

 

Taemin tried to loose himself in Key’s feline eyes, as he had done so many times before, but as the nurse shifted next to him he was drawn right back to the present and he clenched his eyes and whimpered. 

 

The nurse released an exasperated sigh and left to get a sedative. 

 

Taemin groaned, “No, no sedatives, please, no more.”

 

“Taemin, if you panic it could hurt your injuries.” Minho said from the end of Taemin’s bed.

 

“I know, but I can’t help it!  I don’t know why I am this way, I just can’t do it.  But I don’t want to be sedated again, I’m only awake so often lately…”  Taemin lost control of the tears and they started to fall. 

 

“Ok Taemin,” Key said, still calm and wiping away the tears.  “Remember the first time I told you that I loved you?”

 

Taemin nodded, “You took me to the park with all of the wildflowers and you sang to me…”

 

Key smiled at Taemin, who was already starting to calm down.  “Close your eyes Taemin.” And as Taemin did as he was instructed, Key took a breath and sang:

 

“There's some things I know to be true
Snow is white, and the ocean is blue
Rain is wet, when it falls from the sky
And the stars come out every night

“And just as sure as the sun will rise
This love is real, you see in my eyes
Plant a seed and it will grow
Some things I know”

 

Minho watched at Key sang to Taemin and saw the muscle loosen in Taemin’s arms and shoulders as Taemin focused in on Key’s voice.  Minho watched the trust within that couple and found himself wishing that he had something like that, or that he would one day be lucky enough to find that on his own. 

 

The nurse came in with the sedative, but stopped short seeing Taemin sitting calmly on the bed listening to Key’s voice as he softly sang the simple song.  Minho walked up to her and said, “Go quickly, Key’s got him calm, he won’t notice you if you don’t make too much noise I don’t think.”

 

As the nurse quickly removed the original IV and putting a bandage on Taemin’s hand, Key still sang.

“There's some things in life I need
Water to drink, air to breathe
A place to rest when I need sleep
When I'm hungry, food to eat

“As just sure as the Lord is above
That's how much I need your love
And I need shelter from the cold
Some things I know”
 

Taemin didn’t even flinch as the nurse put the needle into his other hand, starting up the IV on the other side of the bed near where Key was still standing.


“There's some things in life I want
To be thankful for all I've got
A friend to talk with, a hand to hold
To still be young when I grow old

“And I want all my dreams to come true
And I want to share them all with you
And I just had to tell you so
Some things I know

“Oh, I just had to tell you so
There's some things I know.”

 

Taemin was smiling as the song ended, and he took a breath and said, “Alright, I’m calm now.  I think I can take the IV now.”

 

The nurse laughed, “Well as nice as that sounds Mr. Lee, but I’m already done.”

 

Taemin’s eyes snapped open and he looked down at the hand that had borne the IV before and saw nothing but a band-aid.  Switching his gaze to his other hand, he instead found Key’s blocking his view.

 

“Hang on, you can still see the needle.”  Key explained, smiling at Taemin with happiness shining out of his eyes.

 

The nurse made quick work of bandaging the hand so that the needle would not be easily visible to the phobic patient.

 

“Well, there you go Mr. Lee, that wasn’t so bad really was it?”

 

Taemin tried to hide an embarrassed grin and nodded to the woman.  “Thank you ma’am, and I’m sorry about the drama…”

 

She smiled, “It’s alright.  I’ve had patients who pitched fits just to be nasty, you have a genuine fear.  I just didn’t want you to hurt yourself because of it.  As it is, you’ve probably tired yourself out some, so don’t be surprised if you’re ready for a nap soon.”

 

“Thank you again,” Minho murmured to the woman on her way out the door before turning back to the couple.  But they appeared to be enraptured by each other, deep in a conversation that Minho couldn’t hear from the doorway.

 

The rapper shook his head and smiled as he ducked out of the room to give the couple some privacy.

 

 

 

 

The song in this chapter is called "Some Things I Know" and I heard it sung my Billy Gilman.  You can hear it by going to the youtube link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgE9zpL3_s

I really love this song and I wanted to attribute it to this couple.

 

So fun fact, while helping my grandma around her house, I fell off of a ladder and I have sprained my wrist.  it is really hard to type right now so I don't know how quick updates are going to be.  I already had this written so it was more of a copy and paste thing.  I sorry about this but it hurts to put it in position to type, with or without the brace, so it might be a few days at least before I can get back to pounding out the chapters.  It kind of seems like there is something against me finishing this story...

 

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my little filler and please comment!