Goodbye

Revenge is Bittersweet


"Brother, where did you go today?" Luhan asked, as his brother walked through the door. He gazed at his last relative with curious eyes. 

 

"I just went to pick up some apples from the grocery store. There were only a few more in the fridge, so I decided to buy more." Yuzhe placed the bag of apples on the kitchen table. "You like the green ones, right?" 

 

Luhan frowned and pulled out the transparent drawer at the bottom of the fridge. There were a mix of medium sized green ones, and large, dark red ones. There were clearly more than just 'a few' of both kinds. "Yuzhe, if you don't help me eat these green ones, they'll go bad." The thin boy opened the drawer next to the apple drawer and poured the newly-bought apples into it, leaving one in the bag. The green globes tumbled onto the oranges. 

 

Yuzhe looked over Luhan's shoulder and laughed quietly. "I guess I forgot." 

 

The younger boy looked at his brother in concern. "Is something wrong?" 

 

Yuzhe blinked in surprise. "What do you mean? Did something happen?" 

 

Luhan took the last apple out of the bag and ran it under the sink, scrubbing at the light green skin until it shined. Then he dried it with a clean towel and took a bite. "First," he started to speak, his mouth full of apple, "you wouldn't make petty errors like that." He swallowed and took another chunk out of the white flesh. "Second, you said, 'did something happen?' That reveals that something did happen, because in response to my question, 'Is something wrong?' you wouldn't ask that unless you knew that there was indeed something wrong." 

 

The older male was speechless for a moment before his gaze softened and he smiled sadly. "You really are my brother, aren't you? To be able to read me that easily... I'm proud." 

 

Luhan grinned. "Of course! I've known you for my entire life. Honestly, Yuzhe, you have stop treating me like a child." He walked to the couch and plopped down with a bounce. "Come, tell your little brother what's wrong." He patted the seat next to him. 

 

Yuzhe slowly walked over and sat down with much more dignity than Luhan. He was silent, his eyes churning with angst and indecision. Luhan grew scared, and prodded his brother's arm. "Yuzhe? What happened?" 

 

Yuzhe turned to Luhan with turmoil in his eyes. "If you truly, truly understand me, then please forgive me for what is going to happen. I'm doing this for your sake, because I don't want you to get hurt. Please, promise me you'll stay safe." 

 

"W-What do you mean? What's going to happen?" Luhan stared at his brother with wide eyes. "Yuzhe, you're scaring me. Tell me what's going to happen." 

 

Yuzhe grabbed his little brother's shoulders with more force than he intended to and looked him straight in the eyes. Luhan yelped in surprise and pain. "Promise me!" Yuzhe shook the smaller boy. 

 

"I won't promise until you tell me what's going on!" 

 

The older boy let go and stood up. "I knew you were going to say that." He smiled sadly at his beloved sibling. "I'm doing this for your sake, because I want to keep you safe. Don't come after me, please."

 

Luhan stood and took a step towards his brother. He was almost the same height as him now, after hitting a growth spurt in ninth grade. "Where are you going?" He searched his brother's face frantically, looking for any clue that could reveal his secret. "You make it sound like you wont come back." 

 

Yuzhe turned his back towards Luhan. "Revenge is bittersweet, little brother. Never forget." 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Luhan waited at the edge of the roof, looking over the tops of large shopping centers and at the glass sides of skyscrapers in the distance. The clouds hid the tops of the buildings, making them seem to stretch infinitely into the sky. I haven't forgotten what you told me, brother, he thought as he stared into the overcast weather, watching a lone bird glide into the horizon. Will I be free like that one day? 

 

The door leading to the roof slammed open, but Luhan didn't turn. The malice and aggression emanating from the entity who just arrived was unmistakable. It could only have belonged to Baixian. 

 

"This was your plan all along, wasn't it, Luhan?" Baixian spat as he advanced on the smaller boy. "I wanted you, but instead I got your worthless brother. Tell him I said hello when I send you to your death!" 

 

Luhan turned slowly and glared at Baixian with cold, quiet rage. "Don't talk about things you don't understand." 

 

He waited for Baixian to throw the first attack, deftly dodging it ducking and sliding between his opponent's legs. He quickly got to his feet, whipping around and throwing a fist at Baixian's back. Being the martial arts master he is, he was faster, and grabbed Luhan's fist, twisting it until Luhan lost his balance. Luhan pushed himself backwards out of the way of Baixian's oncoming attack, putting some distance between himself and his opponent.

 

"You've improved, Luhan," Baixian drawled, in his signature slimy voice. "However, you're still no match for me!" Baixian lunged forward with surprising speed, and Luhan noticed there was a glint of silver in his hand. Luhan ducked sideways, the knife grazing his cheek. He felt a harsh, burning sensation as blood oozed down the side of his face. When he looked at his hand, the liquid was black and steaming. What potent poison... Luhan thought to himself. Even so, Luhan knew he was not going to last much longer, regardless of the poison. He had to finish this quickly. 

 

He pulled a small silver rod the size of a pen off his belt, and pressed the black button located on the side of the metal. A long, steel blade shot out and glinted in the cold sunlight. The sword had belonged to his father, before he passed away due to medical reasons, and was given to Yuzhe on his 12th birthday. However, since the sword was much too light for Yuzhe, the elder brother gave it to Luhan, also on his 12th birthday. Luhan squeezed the blade handle and prayed that his brother's gift would allow him to avenge his beloved sibling. 

 

Baixian laughed cruelly. "How old fashioned. Do you really think a sword can defeat me?"

 

Luhan brought himself into a sword fighting stance. "I don't think, I know." 

 

With lightning speed, the smaller male lunged towards Baixian, creating a wide arc with the sword. Baixian jumped backwards, the tip of the sword slicing a clean cut across his shirt. Luhan surged forward again, striking and parrying with incredible force. Baixian lifted his arms in defense, a metal clank sounding when the sword contacted his forearms. Luhan's eyes widened in surprise as Baixian grinned and took this opening to attack him. The metal from under his sleeves extended over his hands and sprouted sharp metal blades over his knuckles. He darted forward and slashed three deep cuts across Luhan's chest. 

 

Luhan fell backwards, fire spreading through his body as blood oozed from his wound. Those blades were poisoned too... he's a monster... He felt dizzy from the pain, as well as from the poison that was slowly spreading through his body. Added to the super poison from earlier that was starting to blur his vision, his hope was starting to fade. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Don't give up!" 

 

Luhan sighed in defeat and threw his bow on the ground in frustration. "Why can't I hit the center? I've been practicing so hard, but I only ever hit the second last ring." He glared at the target in anger. 

 

Yuzhe chuckled and ruffled his little brother's hair. "Instead of thinking why can't I do something, why don't you think about what can you do to accomplish something?" 

 

Luhan pouted and picked up his bow again, running his hand along the curve of the metal. "I've practiced and practiced. What else can I do?" He drew another arrow from the canister strapped at his waist, and fired. It struck the outermost ring of the target. Luhan growled in frustration and stared at his feet. 

 

"Try not to think about hitting the target so much," Yuzhe smiled, placing a hand on Luhan's shoulder. "Imagine you are in the mountains, where we go in the spring to train. When we hike to the top, do you only think about getting to the top, or do you enjoy the scenery on the way up?" He gave Luhan's shoulder a reassuring pat before leaving him to think about his words. 

 

Luhan blinked in confusion. "The heck... Stupid Yuzhe thinking he's all wise, talking about mountains." He loaded an arrow into his bow. "Don't think about it..." he muttered, closing his eyes and letting the arrow fly. 

 

Bulls-eye. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Luhan pushed himself to his feet and took a deep breath. Baixian snickered. "I'm surprised you can still stand. Maybe I really will have to kill you." Baixian ran foward, and Luhan closed his eyes. 

 

The slender male let his instincts take over, dodging Baixian’s attack. He imagined himself as a eagle, the wind flowing over his wings as he soared through the sky. Then he transformed himself into a lynx, in hot pursuit of its prey in the snowy mountains, claws extended and ready to kill. In an instant, he became a snake, skillfully slithering through the forest floor, fangs dripping with venom in expectation for its next victim.

 

He had his eyes closed the entire time, evading jabs and swings from Baixian while returning with his own, pushing the older male towards the edge of the building. “H-how?” Baixian growled, struggling to block and dodge. “The poison should have killed you by now!” He was bleeding heavily from his wounds, panic coursing through his body as his feet came closer and closer to air.

 

With one skillful swing, Luhan pressed the flat of his blade against Baixian’s neck. Baixian was balanced precariously on the small overhanging ledge of the roof, sweat dripping from his forehead. Luhan opened his eyes, his expression cold and merciless. “Since the day my brother died, my goal has been to kill you. You took my life away from me, and now I will take yours.” He pressed the metal harder into Baixian’s flesh. “Goodbye, Baixian.”

 

Luhan slashed the sword and watched as blood spurted from his enemy’s veins. He kicked the man in the chest, sending him toppling backwards, and disappearing into the empty air. He stepped back from the ledge as he sheathed his sword, letting out a sigh before collapsing.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey look, updating something I hadn't updated for 2 years. How lovely. *apologizes profusely*

I found the draft for his hidden in my old email address as I went to clean it out today, so I figured I should probably finish it since there's only 2 chapters left. Don't know why I haven't just finished it a long time ago but oh well haha

Enjoy, I'll post the next chapter a little later, I'm guessing no one even reads this anymore lol 

Check out my other fics if you haven't already, especially Fix You, cause I quite like that one. It also features Exo as the main characters, so if you liked this one, you'll probably like that one too :) 

Thank you for reading this, if you've been waiting for an update for two years haha 

Bye for now, I'll see you in the next chapter :)