Dramas

How the Day Met the Night

Zhou Mi developed an habit to go to the café next to the University. Not that the coffee was really addicting, it was more because of the atmosphere, and because the fresh air was actually helping him concentrate. The fact that the café was offering Wi-Fi internet helped a lot too. Anything was better than his room, he spent to many hours in that place, it was suffocating. He was working on one of his homework, using mostly references on the internet and books he had taken in the library of the school, to concentrated to be aware of what was going on around him. Students were talking and joking around, socialising while they could. Zhou Mi wasn't, not when he wanted to finish everything to be free the next week-end. He was going to walk around town with Kyuhyun and Henry, those two wanting to meet after hearing so much about the other. Henry was able, for once, to have a day off, and was going to push back his practice hours to have some good time.

 

 

His fingers were kept warm because of his cup of coffee, carefully away from his computer, and the chilly weather was perfect for him. It was a beautiful day, not windy, just a blue sky friday, no clouds in sigh, the sun just warm enough so he wouldn't get too cold. He didn't had the impression of being caught in a box, the fresh air was keeping him from having recuring headaches.

 

-Hi.

 

Zhou Mi jumped, surprised, almost hitting his cup of coffee. Someone grabbed it for him, making sure it wouldn't spill on the computer. He then sat in front of him, smiling.

 

-Sorry I made you jump, it wasn't my intention.

-Hi, Sungmin. I didn't see you.

-I guessed you didn't. I won't take long, I can see you are really busy.

 

Well, it was obvious he was, he had three books opened in the same time, his stuff all over the table. Zhou Mi didn't say anything, thought. He had no reason to be mean, and it wasn't in his nature anyway.

 

-Are you still working in the café?

-I was just helping out, that day. I'm not working there, Zhou Mi answered.

-Oh. I know it has nothing to do with you what happened between me and Kyuhyun, but...could you do me a favour?

-It depends.

 

The cute man back off a little, surprised. The chinese man smiled.

 

-I don't know what happened, and it's true it has nothing to do with me, but I still care about Kui Xian. He is a good friend.

-Kui Xian...he repeated, wondering why he was calling his ex that way. You mean Kyuhyun?

-Yah. What is that favour you wanted to ask me?

-I forgot some things in Kyuhyun's house, some clothes and stuff, and since he doesn't want to see me...

-I can get them for you, if that's what you are trying to ask.

-You would, he asked, doing puppy eyes.

-Yah. I'm seeing him tomorrow anyway.

 

He drank some of his coffee. The sad look in Sungmin eyes made him wonder if he didn't had some feeling left for Kyuhyun, afterall. Unless he wanted to stay friend with him afterward, which was, in all the love drama he knew, an impossible things because of all the memories and feelings still present. He put his cup back on the table, looking at his hand as he was doing it, more to snap himself out of his curiosity than because he was looking at where he was putting it. It had nothing to do with him, but he still got himself into it anyway by being kind. It would always start that way, and even if he knew it, that never stopped him from being nice.

 

-I'll call him, said Zhou Mi. I'll just tell him to bring me the stuff. I'll give it to you afterward.

-Sure, yeah...It's just that I...don't know your name, still...So...

-Zhou Mi. I'll leave it to the front desk with your name on it, just to be sure.

-Thanks.

-My pleasure.

 

He smiled softly, drinking more of his coffee. Sungmin stood up and smiled.

 

-Thank you, and sorry to bother you again.

-It's nothing.

 

He bow, thanking Zhou Mi again, then left, leaving the medical student alone again. He grabbed his cup of coffee, but didn't drink any, only warming up his cold fingertips. It was the first time he was that cold with someone. Not that he wasn't answering or anything, but he felt like his answers were cut short only for him to leave sooner, because in the back of his head, he knew that Kyuhyun would be hurt by the fact he had seen Sungmin.

 

But then again, why would he be hurt? He was probably thinking that Zhou Mi was straight, since nobody, unless it was written on someone's face or hints popping everywhere, was thinking the other person had seuxal preferences out of the ''ordinary''. It wasn't his case, of at least he was convincing himself that others weren't thinking of him as the stereotypical girly type gay guy, which was pretty much an insult for every gay person in town, if you asked him. Still, everytime he talked with Sungmin, he felt that little guilt inside, knowing he should be getting himself involved, it never ended nicely. He wanted to bang his head against the table, but that would be weird, first, and he didn't ant to break his computer because he wasn't able to not be helpful.

 

Or was he simply not selfish enough.

 

Either way, he still had to call Kyuhyun, and that was better to be in his room, and not in the middle of a café. People hear and people talk, knowing how much people loved to gossip was enough to go take his things and go back to the dorm. Not that he didn't want people to know, it was more because he considered that the conversation he will soon have was a personnal matter, something you cannot talk about on a cellphone where everyone can hear you, especially when the volume had to be really high so he could understand the whole conversation.

 

It was only when he got in his room, the door locked, that he took his cellphone out and called Kyuhyun. Zhou Mi was walking up and down his room, nervous of Kyuhyun reaction.

 

-Hello?

-Hi, it's Zhou Mi.

-Hey! What's up?

 

Kyuhyun was in a good mood, it seemed. When wasn't he?

 

-Still up for tomorrow?

-Oh yeah, i've been working like crazy to finish everything in time. I still have some work to do, though, but I should be done tonigh if I'm lucky.

-Okay, I was scared for a second you were overwhelmed and had to cancel.

-Even if I was, Henry would have killed me for having him skip a practice for nothing. No, I'm calling for somthing else.

-What's up, then?

 

It was harder to say than he tought it would be.

 

-I...didn't know Sungmin was in the same university than me...and...

-Did he bothered you? I'm so sorry I got you caught into this!

 

Zhou Mi didn't say anything. Why was he apologising for?

 

-I said to him I would get his stuff from you and give it to him, since you didn't seemed to want to talk to him.

-Sorry about that...I'll get it for you. Sorry again for getting you involved in that...

-Don't worry about it. It will probably make you more confortable. Just put it all in a bag, I'll take care of that when I'll come back home tomorrow.

-Sure, no problems! Thank you...

-My pleasure, Kui Xian. I have to finish my homeworks.

-See you tomorrow!

-Bye!

 

He hung up. That...went better than expected. Zhou Mi was still staring at his cellphone, wondering why he was so worried about it. Kyuhyun was right : he was caught into it because Kyuhyun had been to scared of facing Sungmin in the first place, making him the guy in between. The fact that he was in the same university was just a coincidence, and Sungmin would have probably asked anyone who knew Kyuhyun to do him that favour. It was nothing to be worried about.

 

The other dramas he had been caught into was probably why he was so stressed out about it. Yeah, it probably was.

 

He finished his homework around 1AM, dead tired. He set his alarm to be up at 11AM, just to be sure he would not sleep the whole day, took a quick shower before going in bed, falling asleep the second his face hit the pillow, not even bothering to go under the sheets. He was way to tired to do so, to much efforts. He woke up around an hour before his alarm, set it off so he would not be scared by the happy song he was using as an alarm and got up. He spent the whole hour preparing himself, eating and getting dressed, getting out of his room.

 

Henry was waiting in the hall of the dorm, smiling widely.

 

-Ready, he asked.

-Sure. Are you?

-I am mentally prepared. I'm going to spent the day with not only one, but two gay friends who are going to comment on every they are going to see.

-When did I do that in the first place?

-Never, but there is a first for everything!

 

He smiled even more and grabbed his friend's arm, pulling him outside. They were going to join Kyuhyun in the subway to then go around the city, probably hanging out without a real goal, listening to their needs and wants. As long as everyone had a good time. The trio decided to go downtown and found a place to eat. Henry and Kyuhyun were talking a lot, Zhou Mi was only commenting from time to time when he could, but it didn't stop him from smiling. He was actually relieved that they were going along just fine, he was scared they wouldn't be able to befriend one another, which would have been really sad since he cared about those two.

 

-So you are a musician, asked Kyuhyun.

-Yah.

-What instrument?

-Violin mostly. I play some piano too, but I don't practice it as much as the violin. I sing a little, too, it depends on what my bosses wants me to do, well...at work at least.

-Where do you work? I want to hear you out, just to see how good you really are.

-I'll write down the adress for you, so you can see the genius at work.

-Don't be so full of yourself, Henry, suddenly said Zhou Mi, finally getting into the conversation. You aren't that much of a genius, and I have exemples.

-Hey! I'm 19 and I'm in university! I'm a freaking genius!

-That's because you skipped pre-school, added Zhou Mi laughing.

 

It didn't take long that Kyuhyun joined the chinese man, both laughing because of that fact, then because Henry acted insulted. He walked a few steps in front of them, turned around in a dramatic way and faked to wipe off a tear from his eye.

 

-You will never be able to understand a genius like myself! People underestimate my work!

 

The two others were in half, trying to breathe how much they were laughing hard. Henry finally smiled, stopping his act. They went to a museum, curiously, and mostly made jokes about everything, whispering and trying not to laugh to hard so it would not disturbed the other visitors, acting like angels when a security guard was around. It just felt...natural for the three of them to hang out. More natural than any previous friendship Zhou Mi had in his life before he met Henry. The small canadian, after the visit of the museum, ran to get something to drink, thirsty, leaving Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi behind, following him without any hurry.

 

-He's a nice guy. Henry, I mean, said Kyuhyun, smiling.

-I know.

 

He smirk. Kyuhyun laugh a little.

 

-It's really nice to hang out with people who aren't constantly judging your every move...said Kyuhyun.

-I know that feeling. It feels great that you too are going along well, it scared me a little at first that I would be in an awkward position...again.

-No worries. I'm happy it doesn't bother you that I am gay, though. I don't know a lot of straight guys who are confortable with that. It's really cool to know I don't have to hide it.

 

That would have been the perfect moment to tell him he was, actually, gay, but something inside him warned him not to. Maybe was it Kyuhyun's voice, so convinced and happy to be accepted has he was, or was it the fact he was worried that knowing that he was gay also would make him uncomfortable and scarred of having troubles again in his relationships. Or maybe was it because Zhou Mi didn't want Kyuhyun to be worried of him being too near of Sungmin and lose him as a friend by the same occasion, since he had said once that all his friends went against him during one of their fights.

 

Whatever it was, it made Zhou Mi smile, a perfect fake smile.