Chapter Four

Of Bubble Teas & Lectures

             I wanted to be Mexican for a couple of hours, that's why. 

                  (x) Shinhwa - The Return [full album] 

~ ~ ~

After a tormenting weekday; it's finally Friday and everyone was out of the campus the very second the bell rang like Beyonce was waiting at the far end of the parking lot. In the count of twenty; the school grounds were nearly empty. Students of different grades are bolting out feverishly towards freedom, two days of holidays and planned dates. Atop the nerve-wrecking chaos, Luhan peers down through his four-paneled window; wondering what it's like to have something to look forward to during the weekends. His thin fingers slides against the glass as he recalls all the times he wasted in college trying to study hard and refrain from having fun.

A better smile etches his face when he recollects how much of a bookworm he was-- and still is. Getting enraptured by a book seems to be something he cannot get rid of. For Luhan, it's all words and feelings that jump out of the paper and rattle your calm insides. 

He feels a vibration in his left pick and he takes his phone out at once to answer withy even bothering to known who's at the other end of the line. A deep, familiar voice speaks. "Hyung, how are you?"

"I'm fine. Let me guess, you want me to take you out tonight for dinner and bubble teas?"

"You know me so well but yeah. Lets meet at Papa B's later at eight." His brother, Sehun instructs and waits for the elder to hang up. Luhan nods in agreement before realizing that Sehun couldn't see him so he mutters 'okay' before ending the call.

If it wasn't for Sehun and their weekly rounds of bubble teas, Luhan wouldn't know what's else to look forward to during the weekends.

                                                                       ~ ~ ~                            

Doe-like eyes that belong to Im Yoona skims along the length of her cluttered desk. She rewards herself with a pat on the back for being free from the tedious chains of home works and projects due next week. She stands up from her desk and does a series of jumping jacks before taking her phone to call Tao.

"What do you say about getting ourselves drunk to oblivion?" She suggests the moment he picks up.

"This is Tao's mom. Hello, Yoongie." A soft, motherly voice answers and Yoona simply laughs. "He left his phone downstairs. Hold on, I'll give it to him."

On the other end of the line, she hears scuffling footsteps and something being knocked down. It must be Tao's sister, Mei. That fifteen year old beauty is clumsy by nature and at this period, everyone around her had already been us to her accident-prone ways, including Yoona.

"Mom says you want to go out for a drink?" Tao's voice greets her and she replies immediately. "Yeah, where do you wanna go?"

"There's this new club opening downtown and I had its going to be an open bar as a celebration."

Her ears pick up by the mention of 'open bar' because nothing beats alcohol unless its free and unlimited alcohol; she lives by that motto. Not that Yoona is completely addicted to it, it's just something that she wouldn't mind doing every once in a while; or so that's what she tells herself every single time she drowns a bottle down. "Give me the address and I'll meet you there in an hour."

Tonight, she can't wait to get out of this man-made hellhole.

                                                                    ~ ~ ~

 

Right in the midst of the chaotic yet petty alleys of Seoul, two obviously drunk and out-of-it teenagers  swagger arm-in-arm beside the busy road. As usual, there were people everywhere and it's frosty cold tonight, the kind of cold that chills your system and will cause your breath to morph into smoke the moment you exhale. Tao is dressed in a pair of dark skinny jeans with a crumpled button-up shirt and Yoona is clad in her signature black ripped jeans and loose tank top, in stilettos of course and these two obviously don't mind the chilly air, nor the people who turn their heads to look at them with eyes that does nothing but judge.

Yoona leans on Tao's neck as she walks (or tries to) because trying to balance yourself in three inch heels while acting sober isn't really an easy feat to accomplish.

"Can you take that sombrero off? I can't breathe." Tao pleads and winces as her sombrero hits his neck and scratches his cheeks. "Where did you get that anyway?"

"I got it from one of those seats in the bar. I wanted to be Mexican for a few hours." She sets her sombrero straight on her head and Tao thinks she's pretty ridiculous but who is he to talk since he's the one who had make out with total strangers before getting himself saturated in dozens of drinks.

Tao laughs so hard he thinks he might need to get his sides sown up when Yona abruptly jumps and nurses her imaginary Mexican moustache. "Aribaaaaaa! Tequila! Tequila!"

To Tao's ears, she's getting funnier every hour that they waste drunk and he isnt one to complain. Barging through random bars and staying up late, pretending to be sober until dawn just roaming around the city is their Friday night ritual.

"Do you want to see magic?" Tao raises his right hand and brings out a clasped bottle of alcohol; prying it open. Yoona's eyes sparkle as Tao brings the rim of to his lips and finishes it in three large and menacing gulps. Completely mind blown at what she witnessed, her hands start to clap together and laughter bubbles out of her system. Feeling absolutely pumped, Tao throws the bottle to a dirty, fading wall beside them and they observe as the glass shatter to a million tiny fragments. Yoona thinks that things that get broken are beautiful.

"F uck Houdini. This is where the real magic's at."

 

                                                                      ~ ~ ~

In the confines of Papa B's interior, Luhan is situated in front of his brother Sehun in one of th pristine begs seats, taking a sip out of his avocado flavored bubble tea. H bites back a snide remark as Sehun recounts his obsession with Krystal Jung for the billionth time. Now, Luhan is actually a big fan of romance and all that shindig of roses and happy ever afters, but as his brother babbles on and on abut Krystal's 'sparkling eyes' and angelic voice, he's one word away from poking his eyeballs out and shoving them down Sehun's throat.

"Why don't you just go and confess to her?" Luhan suggests. Yeah, eh don't you go and confess so that you can finally shut up about this?

"But hyung! I'm scared! What if she doesn't like me?" Sehun sounds absolutely hopeless that Luhan's sympathetic side takes over. After all, he's still his brother and Sehun is family (even though he can get clingy and whiny at times )

"Then she doesn't like you." His voice is calm and calculating. Luhan takes a breather and he scans his surroundings. Outside Papa B's, he could gather that it's a dimly lit yet calm night. Strangers walk down the concrete street, lights turn green and the cars zip by. Inside, it's warm and cozy, making it hard for Luhan to decipher how several possibilities and changes occur at the same time and the only thing that distinguishes m from the lively atmosphere outside is a thin wall of clear glass.

The zooming questions in his head screeches to a halt when he sees the very person he should have started to avoid--Miss Im Yoona. Luhan leans back on s chair with raised eyebrows and he takes in Im Yoona as she tries to walk beside Tao who looks like he's just one poke away from a deep slumber. In a way, watching them struggle seems amusing than enduring his brother's rant that seemed to go on forever. But when Yoona lost her balance and stumbled down to the ground laughing; it doesn't seem funny to Luhan anymore.

the caring and charitable side of him takes over and before he could stop to for himself to sanity, Luhan rushes out of the mini cafe to the cold and apathetic streets, leaving his younger brother flabbergasted and shocked. When he was only a few meters away, his common sense comes running back to him and Luhan is tempted to turn the other way and pretend he saw none of it; off cours he just wears the great rebuttal of Yoona's pick up lines.

"Mr. Xi!" Tao's vice calls out and Luhan mentally shoots myself stupid. He starts to k to their direction, much to the annoyance of his own brain.

"Than God,you're here sir! I need your help." Vainly, Tao tows Yoona's body closer to Luhan and the older is starting to think that things are starting to go downhill from here. T fad that two had chuck Yoona's body for Luhan to catch did not ease the feeling of dread seeping through his stomach. From a very young age, Luhan apprehended that drunks won't do him any good and he's proven right once more as he tries to make the drowsy Yoona comfortable in his arms.

"Please take care of her, sir. Don't bring her home because she doesn't go home on Fridays. No ones there. Bye,sir!" And before Luhan could formulate a witty remark, Tao tipsily waves him off and stagger away from him.

The nerve of that boy.

he scans the frail body in his arms, regrets being so kind immediately, and curses his inability to say no when a request comes shove to his face. He gathers that its not enough for th alcohol-induced Yoona to make his life miserable by having him look at her at school; she just has to come around and add salt to the woundby invading his halcyon Friday night.

 

                                                                          ~ ~ ~