Where is she?

Anything but routine.

The next day, she wasn't at school. Neither was Chanhee. It not like I care particularly, but its quiet. The girl that makes me laugh and my face heat up isn't here. It's strange. School went by like a blur. The teachers talked relentlessly and my patience wore thin, so I slept. Soon, it was lunchtime and I headed to my spot beneath the tree. I found myself looking around. Have I really become this dependent on her?

Aish! I ruffled my hair and sat down. I soon drifted off to sleep and found myself waking up when the bell rang. I walked off to class very slowly. The rest of the day was very dull but I couldn't shake this nagging feeling. Where is she?

I walked out of school very tired somewhat worried. That is until i saw a familiar face.

"L!" Sunggyu waved at me. I practically ran to him, hoping for some sort of explaination.

"What's up?" I asked as nonchalantly as I could muster at this point.  

"Ahh. Well, just come with me. I'll explain on our way."  I nodded and followed him. We got on a bus without a word and i could tell he was thinking about something. I'm guessing whatever he's planning to say he's trying to think about how to say it. Whe we took our seats on the bus he fi finally spoke.

"You may have noticed that Sunhee hasn't lived with her father her whole life." That's for sure. I just nodded. "Well, there's kind of a story to it." I blinked at him as if to say 'go on' He sighed. "I'm just telling you this because at this point, you're one of us." The corners of my lips turned up and I nodded.

"Okay well, ther's no way to break this gently. Her mother died recently." I was shocked. 

"How recent?" He looked down.

"Well, This February." I gasped. It's barely September. "Yeah, you may be thinking about why she seems so happy, well I really think most of the time she's just like that so it won't be so hard you know?" I nodded.

"What did she die of? How did she end up living with her dad? Why are you telling me this?" He looked up.

"She died in a car accident. On her way home from work and she never saw it coming. She was an amazing woman and she loved her daughter dearly. You see she her father LOVED Sunhee's mom. He had an affair with her and she loved him as well but he found out his wife at the time was pregnant, and Sunhee's mom broke off all ties with him. Later she found out that she was pregnant as well. He didn't know until he found out she had died, he regretted everything greatly and immediately took Sunhee in to try and make up for lost time." I blinked in shock and he continued, "Like I said before, it doesn't matter if we've only known you for a day or two, you're one of us and you're the only one that can take care of her during school." He said putting a hand on my shoulder. I searched his eyes for a hint of bad intent, but found none.

Its strange, I've grown up with such mistrust for people, my parents, adults, my peers, but along comes in Sunhee and these people are truely genuine. Unlike my cold upbringing full of people with ulterior motives. It feels kinda nice to be trusted like this. 

"So where are we going right now?"

"The cemetery. It's her mother birthday. Well, first we're getting Sunhee's favorite food because I doubt that girls eaten all day. Then we'll head to the cemetery." I nodded. 

The bus came to a stop and we were around the same area we were yesterday. We walked into the cafe and got greeted by Glasses Ahjusshi.

"Hey boys, shouldn't you be at the cemetery? I was about to head over there myself."

"We need food for Sunhee." Sunggyu spoke up. Glasses Ahjusshi looked at him as if he knew exactly why and head to make a drink.

"Alright I got you. You want anything Myungsoo?" 

"No thanks, I'm fine." He nodded. 

He came back out with a brown paper back and a warm drink and handed them to Sunggyu. The latter proceeded to take out his wallet and Glasses Ahjusshi shook his head. 

"Nope. That there is on the house. My little ball of sunshine needs to eat something." Sunggyu nodded.

"Thanks Glasses Ahjusshi." He smiled and waved us off.

"Bye boys! I'll see you later~" We then headed further down the street and stopped off at a small flower shop.

The sweet smell of roses and jasmine filled my nose as we stepped in. I pointed to some freshly cut sunflowers. 

"Oh how did you know sunflowers were her favorite?" I didn't. They just reminded me of Sunhee.

"I dunno." 

"We'll take these." Sunggyu said pointed to the same flowers I had pointed out earlier and I quickly took out my wallet to pay.

"It's fine- you don't have to pay." I feigned ignorance and took the flowers from the lady from the shop.

We got onto the bus yet again and chatted a bit.

"So how long have you guys known Sunhee?" 

"Well we met her and Dongwoo in middle school, but her and Dongwoo used to be neighbors." I nodded. "To be completely honest, she was the one who brought us together. Her personality is something thats infectious is the best possible way." It sounds like he's in love with her.

"I know you might think I'm in love with her by the way I'm talking about her, but I'm not. She just brought me out of a really rough time and I love her like a little sister." I nodded and he smiled. "Oh and one thing, don't treat Sunhee any differently becuase of this." 

"I never planned to." I smiled.

"Good!" We soon arrived at a cemetery that looked more like a park than anything due to its green, lush plant life and its neighborhood setting, complete with the laughter of children originating from across the street. We walked along the dirt path for a little bit and stopped when we got to a group of people. The biys looked like they made their best effort to look presentable and sat in a semi circle of sorts around the grave stone. On the very edge was a very frail looking girl, smiling, but her eyes saying otherwise.

I looked up at Sunggyu and he nodded. I made my way to Sunhee. She wore a yellow sundress and her wavy dark hair was loose and free. It dangled of her milky white shoulders and she sat with her knees to her chest. She was facing the tombstone. I kneeled next her and she looked up at me.

"Oh! You made it!" She smiled and hugged me. "Sit here! I have to introduce you to Umma." I followed her instruction and took a seat next her. I handed her the sunflowers in my hand. "Sunflowers! That's Umma's favorite flower." She placed then on top of the greenery that topped the gravesite.

"Umma, this is Myungsoo. He's my new friend. He's kind of strange but he's really thoughful." She then nudged me to go on. I looked warily at Sunggyu and he nodded.

"Um, Nice to meet you Ms. Kwon." I said reading her tombstone, "I'm Myungsoo, Sunhee's classmate. She's doing just fine and I'll make she continues to do so." Sunhee giggled.

"I told you he was weird." I smiled at her. She looked up at Sunggyu. "It took you long enough." He held up his hands. 

"Hey, do you know how far that school is?" She just smiled. He kneeled on the other side of Sunhee and looked at the tombstone which had a picture of Sunhee's mother underneath. Along with Sunhee and the rest of the boys. "Hi Umma! I miss you! Sunhee hasn't acted up lately but I'll notify you as soon as she does!" 

"Yahh!" Sunhee said lightly shoving Sunggyu. "He's lying Umma. He's just trying to distract you from his bad deeds!" He quickly covered .

"Its true Umma!" Sungjong said with red eyes and tear-stained cheeks. "He won't mention what happened with the Choi twins!" 

"Yahh!" Sunggyu said chasing after Sungjong. We all erupted into laughter. When Sunggyu couldn't continue chasing Sungjong nymore he just plopped down next to Sunhee yet again. "Here. I brought you your favorite." He the drink and the paper bag. 

"Thanks." She said opening the bag and taking out two sandwiches. One of which she put next to the picture of her mom.  "Dig in Umma! Do you guys want a bite?" She said waving her sandwich around. They all shook their head no. After a while of chatting and laughing we left. Glasses Ahjusshi came by to pay his respects and left quickly. As we all walked out of the cemetery a chorus of rumbling stomaches was heard. Laughter rivaled that of the stomaches and we headed off to get mandu, which was apparently Umma's favorite. 

We ate to our heart's content and I couldn't help but think about how much like a family this was, and how fortunate I was to fnally be a part of one.

By the time we were walking home, the sun was setting. It was just me and Sunhee yet again. 

"Thank you." I looked up

"Huh?"

"Thank you for coming and not pitying me." She said looking straight into my eyes.

"I would never pity you." I smiled.

"You're smiling a lot more lately." She said poking my rib.

"I smile in the company of good people." 

"Oh yeah? I asked Chanhee and he said you never used to smile." She said poking my rib yet again.

"What else did you ask him about me?" I said poking her in return. 

"Nothing important."She said shrugging and poking me quickly. 

"Oh yeah?" I ended up tickling her sides and she ending up running giggling. She ran ahead and I followed closely after. Until she got to her house. SHe stopped abruptly. 

"Uhh." I looked up to what she was looking at. We looked up to six familiar figures standing along in the yard along with her father and Chanhee along with two unrecognizable faces. Dressed in mechanics' garb.

"Oppa?" Sunhee said looking at one of the boys in the mechanic attire. She pulled me by the wrist. "Come on." 

We arrived in the yard where the smell of grilling meat and familiar chatter was heard.

"Oppa!" Sunhee let go of my hand and ran towards one of the boys in the uniform. Instantly a feeling of heaviness overcame me. 

"Sunnie." He said holding her close. 

 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU FOR READING!

I tried doing a longer upate. I'm sorry if it , I'm not good at writing about somber topics.

Comments and suscriptions are always welcomed c: