Stuck in the Past?

Our Love's Got an Expiry Date [⌛]

------Jaejoong’s POV------

 

I was lost in thought, thinking back to when we coincidently watched Scream 4 with Eunji and LiYin. When Eunji screamed in horror, she reminded me so much of Chaehee. The way she tries to stay calm when she’s actually scared. I knew Eunji was trying to pretend to be not scared of the movie. She was definitely scared, so when I knew something horrific was going to happen, my instincts took over and automatically covered Eunji’s eyes, just like how I use to cover Chaehee’s whenever we watched a horror movie. Bit by bit, my images of Eunji were replaced by images of Chaehee. Honestly, a part of me was missing her.

“Jae, what are you thinking about?” Yunho came and sat down beside me. It was Monday and some of us were in our VIP room at school. This room was created just for the ten of us. We were technically the only ones who could come in. It was a nice place for us to rest and not have to be annoyed by all those girls. Even though a lot of the guys were playboys, most of the time, they don’t like being disturbed. During school, we’re usually proactive. The only time when we go wild is when we’re off school grounds.

“Oh, nothing. Don’t worry about it.” I replied.

“Yeah right. You’re only like this when you think of Chaehee.” Yunho knew me too well.

“Don’t worry about it.” I assured him. They were always worried about me whenever my mind was on Chaehee. There was a period of time after Chaehee left that I was in a bit of a depression. I didn’t really talk and I would try to get other girls to make me forget about Chaehee, but I soon realized that it was useless trying to do that.

“She’s been gone for so long.” Yunho said.

“I know. That’s why I’m trying to move along.” I responded, trying to assure him that I’ve forgotten all about Chaehee.

“I know what you’re doing Jae. I can tell that Eunji reminds you of her. You’re using Eunji to replace Chaehee, but I can tell that you want her only because she’s like Chaehee. That’s not moving on. That’s going back to the past.” Yunho retorted. I could tell he was quite angry. Yunho never really liked Chaehee to begin with. He didn’t know why. All he said was, “There’s something in my guts that tells me she’s not what we think she is.”

“You don’t know her like I do Yunho.” I protested. Ever since Yunho told me he wasn’t quite fond of Chaehee, I’ve been trying to prove him wrong. Chaehee had never cheated on me and we both trusted each other.

“And I never will. Okay, whatever the case is, I just want to warn you. If you’re trying to go far Eunji because she’s like Chaehee, I persuade you to stop. You’re going to hurt her.” Yunho exclaimed. It was awkward that Yunho was protecting a mere girl.

“Says the guy who breaks a million girls' hearts.” I scoffed.

“Those girls are different. Those girls only care about looks, money, and such. But really, Eunji is someone who is actually serious. You know I don’t like girls who are serious about relationships. That’s why I only like the ones who like to have flings.” Yunho smirked. I had never seen Yunho with a serious girlfriend before. He never liked being stuck with one girl, but it’s because of that reason that he never wants to date and hurt an innocent girl’s heart. They were just too soft, too vulnerable. He said he would change when he gets to the age where he should be getting married.

“Whatever you say bud.” I sighed and turned the TV on before Yunho could utter another sound about Chaehee. I didn’t want the topic of Chaehee to be brought up. It was my own matter, not others.

Suddenly, Jonghyun came into the room with the sound of the door banging shut. In his hand was a square box. Guess he had failed again. Every time LiYin rejected him, he would come back with a sour mood. I kind of felt sorry for the fella, but then again, it was his own fault for courting her. Honestly, I could tell that Jonghyun seemed to be serious about her. As far as I know, he ‘fell in love’ with her when they accidently bumped into each other during the first week of school. Just like that, he started to develop feelings for the four-eyed Chinese girl. The Jonghyun that I know doesn’t keep pursuing someone with no looks and no body. Jonghyun was the typical playboy. In fact, out of all of us, I think Jonghyun’s the one who’s ‘dated’ the most girls.

“Failed again?” Junsu asked the obvious question. Jonghyun sent him a glare.

“What’d you get her this time?” Onew asked.

“A pair of Swarovski earrings. They aren’t even on the market yet. These are limited edition too.” Jonghyun replied. (A/N: They’re actually not limited edition and they’re available on the website lol)

“And she didn’t take it?” Junsu asked with an eyebrow raised.

“She said she doesn’t have her ears pierced. Then she told me to stop buying her these gifts because it’s a waste of money and time. What the hell! What I have is money! And she’s rich. Why does she have to care about money? If it was some other girl, she would have taken it right away!” Jonghyun raged.

“That just proves she’s not like the other girls.” I chipped in.

“I ing hate this.” Jonghyun groaned as he flopped onto the couch next to me.

“Man, I thought only girls had relationship problems.” Junsu laughed.

“Hey, shut up boy. I wouldn’t have this problem with the other girls. It’s just this specific one that’s triggering my nerves.” Jonghyun hit Junsu with a pillow.

“You know what? Just give up.” Junsu said before grabbing his own pillow and smacking Jonghyun right in the face. An angered Jonghyun jumped up from the couch.

“No way! You know why? Cause I keep thinking about her day and night! This has never happened to me before!” Jonghyun shouted as he took aim on Junsu’s . That’s when the pillow fight broke out. The two immature Kim’s were attacking each other. One was armed with a dinosaur pillow and one was armed with a dolphin pillow. Everyone else in the room just ignored them. With the two boys shouting at each other, I wasn’t able to continue watching the TV in silence. Hence, I shut it and left the room without anyone noticing.

I walked along the halls of the school. I was trying to go somewhere, but I didn’t know where to go. I was stuck in my own little world, thinking about what Yunho had said earlier about Chaehee and Eunji. I, myself, wasn’t sure if I actually liked Eunji or not, but I knew that she had a very familiar aura surrounding her. I knew it wasn’t right for me to court someone who I might not actually like, but honestly, I felt like I needed someone to replace Chaehee. I’m selfish, but I can’t deny the fact that I might still be in love with Chaehee. I hate to admit it, but Yunho was right.

In the process of walking around like a lonely soul, I accidently bumped into something or rather, someone, as I turned around a corner. That person fell to the ground with a thud. I looked down to see that it was Eunji. Surrounding her body were all her textbooks and notebooks. I quickly knelt down to pick up her stuff.

“Sorry about that.” She apologized without looking at me. She had no idea it was me who she bumped into.

“No, it’s my fault.” I spoke up. That’s when Eunji looked up and saw that it was me. Her eyes widened for a mere second, but it was long enough for me to notice the surprise in her eyes.

“It’s fine.” She said sternly before gathering her stuff quickly. She seemed like she didn’t want me to be around her. After picking up all her stuff, the two of us stood up.

“Thanks.” She simply said before grabbing the materials from my arms and started to walk away. I was going to just reply with a simple ‘no problem’, but then I suddenly got an idea.

“Wait, Eunji.” I said, hoping to grab her attention. It did. She turned around, staring at me.

“Do you think you can accompany me on a dinner tonight?” I boldly asked. I was actually not really confident in myself, but I decided to give it a shot anyways.

“Sorry, but I’m not interested in eating dinner with you. Plus, I’m going out for dinner with LiYin.” She replied with a straight face before turning around and walking away.

‘LiYin… Zhang LiYin….’ I thought to myself. I had a plan stuck in my head. I needed to find LiYin in order for my plan to start. I ran back to where the guys were and found Jonghyun under Junsu, who was pulling Jonghyun’s legs in a way that looked hurtful.

“Jonghyun, give me your cell phone.” I said to the male who was in a lot of pain.

“Can’t. Fighting. Junsu.” He groaned in pain.

I groaned and walked behind my brother and pulled him off of Jonghyun.

“Hey, I was going to win!” Junsu whined. I ignored him and helped Jonghyun sit straight.

“Phone.” I stretched my palm out, waiting for Jonghyun to give me his phone.

“Why do you need it? Yours is in your hand…” Jonghyun pointed at the iPhone that was in my palm.

“I need Zhang LiYin’s number.” I honestly replied. Everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and stared at me with surprise.

“What do you need it for….?” Jonghyun stared at me as if I was going to him.

“I just bumped into Eunji and I tried to ask her if she wanted to have dinner with me, but she rejected me. She’s having dinner with LiYin. If I can find out where they’re having dinner, then you and I can ‘coincidently’ bump into them.” I explained.

“What?... That’s not going to work because LiYin will freak out if she sees me.” Jonghyun said.

“I’ll just tell her that you’re not coming.” I replied.

“Are you sure this is going to work Jaejoong?” Yunho asked me.

“It’s worth a shot. Now give me her number.” I urged Jonghyun.

He nodded and looked through his contact list until he found LiYin. I quickly dialed that number. The phone rang a few times before a female voice answered.

“What the hell do you want?!” An angry voice answered. It sounded like she wanted to shout, but she was purposely trying to keep her voice down. She must be in the library.

“Zhang LiYin? This is Kim Jaejoong. Don’t say my name. Is Eunji around you right now?” I asked her. I didn’t want Eunji to find out that I was calling LiYin.

“Uh… no. Why are you calling me?” A confused LiYin asked.

“All that I want to know is, do you think I can make Eunji happy?” I asked her.

“Huh? Why are you asking me this?” LiYin wanted to know.

“What if I told you that I want to court your best friend? Would you help me?” I asked her.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim Jaejoong, but what is up with all these weird questions? What are you trying to do?” She asked me.

“I’m asking if you can tell me the address to the restaurant that you and Eunji will be at tonight. I want to have dinner with her, but she keeps rejecting me. So, I was wondering if I can join you two tonight.” I told her.

“Uh… Let me ask you a serious question Jaejoong. Are you serious about this? Do you actually like Eunji? Because I’m not going to let you hurt her. I don’t want you to just be fooling around with her like the rest of the girls your group of boys hang out with. If you’re going to treat her like another fling, I want you to forget about it. I’m not giving you a single chance of hurting her.” LiYin sounded dead serious.

“And how are you so sure that I’m not like the other guys?” I asked her back.

“By the fact that you always seem to be the one that’s not flirting with girls in the hallway and not have rumors or scandals break out.” She replied.

“I see…” I said automatically. I never knew she noticed these things.

“So Kim Jaejoong, you haven’t answered my question yet.” She was waiting for my answer.

I actually had to take a few seconds to think it over. What I wanted was to just fill the gap that Chaehee made. With a selfish thought in my head, there was only one answer that I could give.

“Yes.”