Something Other Than Chocolates

Our Love's Got an Expiry Date [⌛]

-----Jonghyun’s POV-----

 

“Dude, just give up. She’s going to reject you again.” Key said as I picked out a box of chocolate from the shelf at Godiva. I loved their chocolates. They were the best quality around. Pricey for a box of chocolates, but they were definitely worth it.

 

Ever since that day when we bumped into each other, I had been giving a box of chocolates to LiYin every day that I saw her, but too bad she rejected me every time. For two weeks straight, she kept on rejecting me.

 

“Have I ever given up on something that I wanted?” I asked. It was more like a comment.

 

“No?...” Key responded.

 

“Correct. I’m not going to give up until I get her. It’s fun.” I smirked as I paid for my chocolate.

 

“Why try to get a girl when you can easily grab one in school? Why go through so much work just to get one dingy girl? Plus, there’s so much more girls at school who are better looking than Li… What’s her name again?” The younger male lost track.

 

“It’s LiYin. And, I like taking up a challenge.” I answered him.

 

“That’s so cliché. Did you get that out of a movie or something? All the popular guys go for the weird girls because they’re hard to get. Earth to Jonghyun, this is reality. Not fiction.” Key reminded me.

 

“Doesn’t matter. I’ve thought about it and I think I want a girl who’s fierce and powerful. Someone who isn’t afraid to stand up for herself.” I smirked.

 

“It’s not like you’re going to marry that girl.” He replied.

 

“You never know…” I chuckled.

 

“What?... Dude! You’re a player! You’re Kim Jonghyun! You’re 22 and you’re in your last year of university. You still have a long life ahead of you. Don’t just stick with one girl.” Key groaned.

 

“I’ll see what happens when I get her.” I said.

 

“Well then, try again. She’s right there.” Key buried his face into his right hand while he used his left hand to point at something behind me. I turned around to see that LiYin and her friend Eunji had entered the store. I suddenly turned back around and tried to look for a place to hide. I felt like a coward. It suddenly occurred to me that I was never this shy when facing girls. I had officially turned into a wimp.

 

“What are you doing?” Key looked at me with an amused expression. I quickly grabbed him so the girls couldn’t see us. Key stumbled onto the floor as I tried to pull him towards me.

 

“Stay quiet.” I hushed the boy. I peeped over the chocolates to see if the girls were anywhere near us. They were browsing the truffles.

 

“What the are you doing man?!” Key whispered loudly. I looked back at him to see that his hair was all messed up. Oh no… Key hated losing his posture, even at home.

 

“Shut up, there’re right there.” I started to pay Key’s arm. He had to quiet down. I didn’t want the girls to know that I was at the mall with a guy and even worse, I was buying chocolates. What kind of a man goes to the mall with a guy to pick out chocolates?

 

“Screw you Jong.” I heard Key complain as he laid back and stopped making noises. I strained my neck to see if I could listen in on the girl’s conversation. They sure looked really intrigued on the topic.

 

“Seriously LiYin. Valentine’s Day is still so far ahead. You have three months to find a guy. I don’t get why you’re so worried. I’m perfectly fine with spending Valentine’s Day by myself. I don’t need a guy to satisfy my day. As long as I have chocolate and dramas, I’m all good.” Eunji laughed as she skimmed through the types of truffles that were offered in the store.

 

“You don’t understand Ji. You have guys fighting for you. I’m different. I’m not as pretty as you, not as smart as you, and I don’t have as good of a body as you. It’s hard to find a nice guy who would appreciate a person like me.” LiYin groaned with disappointment.

 

That’s where LiYin is wrong. I think she’s better than Eunji. I had actually wondered why I started to like her myself. I was so use to the girls who had a devil-like body, perfect skin and eyes like a doll, hair fine like silk, and dressed like she was a model. Looking at LiYin, it was like looking at the opposite of what I had always liked. I guess it’s true as to what the movies say; opposites attract.

 

“Stop saying those words Yin! You’re just as pretty as all the other girls out there. Maybe if you started wearing contacts instead of those ugly glasses, the guys can actually see how pretty you are.” Eunji exclaimed.

 

“Contacts are too much of a problem. You have to rinse them, take them off, put them on, and carry all kinds of things with you. It’s so much easier to just slip on the glasses. You don’t have that problem because you have 20/20 vision.” LiYin replied with a sigh.

 

“That’s something I’m proud of.” Eunji smiled.

 

“Hey, can we get out of here? My legs are starting to get numb.” Key tapped me on the shoulder.

 

“Wait…” I mumbled back.

 

“Dude…” He replied back, getting impatient.

 

“Wait just another moment.” I whispered. There was silence. Key didn’t respond, so I got curious and turned my back to see that he wasn’t there anymore. In panic, I looked around me to try and see if I could catch him, but he wasn’t hiding anywhere near me anymore. That’s when I heard voices speak up in front of me.

 

“Well, hello there.” Key just spoke to the two females. I stood up in surprise.

 

“What the hell are you doing Key?!” I whispered loudly to myself. I turned back to the three individuals.

 

“Hello?” I heard LiYin reply back with a look of disgust.

 

“What a nice coincidence, seeing you here.” Key flashed his 100% watt smile at the two ladies. The smile never fails to attract the opposite .

 

“Great…” Eunji nodded her head.

 

“So, I’ve been wondering, Zhang LiYin. Why have you been rejecting Jonghyun?” Key suddenly said. He was so blunt.

 

“God I’m going to kill you Key.” I made a mental note in my head. I had to stop him before he said anything else. I quickly walked towards the group. When I got there, I quickly pulled Key so he would shut up before saying anything else.

 

“Sorry about that. He’s drunk.” I apologized to the girls, but I was looking directly at LiYin. I could feel my heart beating fast. I was being such a sissy right now.

 

“Ew… Why are you here? Are you stalking me or something?” LiYin looked at me with disgust. I had to try and keep the chocolate hidden behind my back. No way was I going to let her seeing me with a box of chocolates. She was going to reject them even before I was able to give them to her.

 

“Uh… Key had to get some chocolates for his mom.” I lied.

 

“What?! My m—“ I cut Key off by covering his mouth with my free hand.

 

“Your mom? Haha… That’s thoughtful of you.” LiYin snickered.

 

“Yeah, and speaking of his mom. She just called and wants him home for dinner. See ya!” I smiled before pulling Key with me. I threw the chocolate into a basket on my way out without letting the girls see.

 

“Dude… That was so not cool.” Key looked at me with a raised eyebrow. The two of us were walking towards my car that was parked outside.

 

“Shut up.” I pushed him as I unlocked my black Maserati GranCabrio.

 

“By the way, you have no chocolates to give to her tomorrow unless you want to go back into the store and grab a box.” He pointed out. He was right, if I don’t go back into the store, I won’t be able to give her chocolates the next day. Then she would think that I was just playing around. An idea suddenly popped into my head.

 

“It’s fine. I have something else for her.” I smirked as my brain started to plan things out. After dropping off Key, I went back to the mall. There was something that attracted Jonghyun's attention when he saw what seemed to be a phone chain, hanging out of LiYin's bag.  Instead of grabbing a box of chocolates, I went to go buy something else.

 

The next morning, I had to go to school earlier in order to find a place to hide my gift. I had to wait until lunch to give it to her. Since my father was the principal, it wasn’t a problem to put my gift in his office. He just told me to be careful and not cause anything bad to happen. I thought about it and by giving her a box of chocolates every day, it didn’t seem sincere enough. I planned on getting her a different gift every day until she says yes. When lunch came, I went into the cafeteria to make sure that she was there before going to my dad’s office to grab the gift. I knew I looked like an idiot walking down the hallways, but it was okay. Girls and guys were all talking about me.

 

“I wonder who the girl is this time…”

 

“Hey, hasn’t he been trying to court that LiYin girl for a while now? Lucky her…”

 

“He’s too good for her.”

 

“How can he like someone like her?”

 

Before I could hear anymore bad comments, I reached the door and pushed. After taking a couple steps, all the voices in the room died down. Everyone’s attention was on me and my big gift. The gift was so big, it covered my face.

 

“That’s the cutest stuffed animal I’ve ever seen!” Girls screamed. Yes, I had indeed bought LiYin a stuffed animal. I had no clue what her favorite animal was, but I decided to get her a dinosaur because people said that I resemble a dinosaur. I approached LiYin’s table and when I got there, I moved the stuffy so that she could see my face.

 

“Will you go out with me?” I smiled shiningly at her with the dinosaur stretched out towards her.

 

“What the…” LiYin stared at the animal in front of her. She was probably expecting me to give her another box of chocolates.

 

“What? You don’t like it?” I asked her.

 

“No, I just don’t like you.” She replied before turning back to her lunch and eating it as if I wasn’t there. Rejected again. I wasn’t surprised.

 

“Well… I’m going to leave this here whether you like it or not.” I sighed as I plopped the animal beside her before walking to where the guys were sitting.

 

“Rejected again… Tough love.” Junsu laughed.

 

“Great gift bro, too bad she doesn’t like it cause it looks like you.” Key snickered.

 

“Hey! That dinosaur looks pretty good if you ask me.” I retorted.

 

The rest of the guys at the table just laughed. They always found a way to make fun of me.

 

“Whatever. I’m not giving up. At least not yet.” I exclaimed with confidence.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

SUBSCRIBE & LEAVE A COMMENT!