Food

The Howling - Part II: The Curse of the Full Moon

 

Jongin traced the pads of his fingers down both arms, a bit more relieved at the simple realization that his arms and skin weren't about to fall off in bloody strips, and he looked up at Joonmyun at the elder's voice. "Yeah, I'm okay..." his voice was soft, but he smiled a little before pushing himself up off the floor and turning his head to watch Taemin.
 
"I'm sorry about that, Tae, if I startled you..." he stepped closer to his little brother, accepting the hug that the teen offered as his eyes followed Joonmyun's path to the fridge. He ofund himself smiling more when the elder male produced a sandwich for both himself and Taemin, as well as some fruit and he gently nudged Taemin who chirped a thanks at Joonmyun and toddled off towards the balcony where he'd been sitting with his books.
 
"Thanks, Joonmyun," Jongin crawled back onto the bed, sitting at the end, before he unwrapped the sandwich and took a bite. "And sure... I don't see why it wouldn't a problem. She's not in there all the time, and she certainly doesn't claim the kitchen. I can take you down after the full moon has passed..."

 

Joonmyun hummed softly in reply as he bit into his sandwich again, chewing thoughtfully and swallowing before giving Jongin a grin. "Thanks," he chirped and took a smaller bite this time. "I just.... think it'd be nice to make something for Sunny for taking care of me... us... this week. Her, and the boy, and even you. I owe a lot to you all, and I just.... " He trailed off, unsure of where he was going from there, so he just let it drop.
 
He turned his attention to the sandwich, nibbling here, biting there, and, near the end, he shoved what he could in his mouth, chewing as he moved to open the container of fruit. While he waited until he could actually fit more in, Joonmyun held a piece out to Jongin. A blush crept up to his cheeks as he realized how full his mouth actually was and that he probably looked ridiculous, and he had to look away to keep from choking on what he hadn't swallowed. 
 
"Sorry," the elder mumbled once he'd managed everything, turning back to Jongin and offering him an apologetic smile. 

 

An amused smile met Jongin's lips as he watched Joonmyun eat, watched how the elder swapped between taking small bites and big bites, and then had to bite on his tongue to stop from laughing outright when he saw the way Joonmyun shoved the last of his sandwich into his mouth. he didn't really manage to stop it all, and a small snicker left him, but almost as soon as it did he had a hand clapped over his mouth and his eyes were wide with shock.
 
"I-I'm sorry; I didn't mean to laugh..." he stammered, flustered and nervous that Joonmyun might be hurt because he /had/ laughed at the - well, if he had to be honest - ing adorable face that Joonmyun sported with his cheeks slightly puffed while he chewed the too big mouthful. "Y-You... actually look kind of cute."
 
As soon as he spoke, his cheeks were flushing as red as the strawberry Joonmyun was holding out to him, and he made a strangled noise before taking it from the elder's hands and shoving it in his mouth in hopes that it might shut him up and stop him from saying stupid things like that. He chewed in silence for a while, and smiled sheepishly as he swallowed.
 
"I'm sure Sunny will like that. I've always been meaning to do the same, but... unfortunately my strong points aren't my cooking ability. I could probably burn water."

 

Somehow, the way Jongin snickered at him was comforting, because it meant he hadn't made a complete fool of himself as he stuffed his face. Or maybe it was the way he stuttered and blushed, the apology broken as it slipped off his tongue; maybe even because Joonmyun had been called cute. The elder hadn't been called 'cute' since he was little, everyone always preferring pretty or handsome, but having Jongin call him that hit a soft spot and a soft grin broke out on his lips. 
 
In the silence, Joonmyun pulled out a grape and popped it in his mouth, chewing quickly before pressing another to his lips. He didn't get to another one as Jongin spoke, his words bringing a wide grin to the elders face. "You can't burn water, silly," Joonmyun chuckled. "You can only boil it until there's nothing left, and then you burn the pan, but that takes a lot of time."
 
This time, he pulled out a chunk of watermelon, passing it to Jongin as he spoke again. "Maybe we could make something for the others together. I might not be the best, but I know a few tricks, and I could help you." Joonmyun was hopeful, even if Jongin didn't seem like the type to spend much time in the kitchen unless it involved eating, but he could still hope.