Summer Vacation, a potential rival and a bad sign

Vanishing Acts

"Best day of my life." Sandeul sighs happily as we step out of the car to face the blazing heat of the summer. Since we had summer vacation, we decided to come to Busan where Sandeul's grandmother lives. He loves Busan so much, and this is the first time i've been here with him. And of course, I also decided to leave Seoul for a while to get rid of Dayoung. She's becoming a bigger threat.

"So warm." I complain, putting on my shades. 

"My grandma's house just there! LEGGO." He grins excitedly, hopping towards the traditional house. It's big, brown, and it looks pretty cool. You know, all traditional and all that, but i'm nervous. What type of person is his grandmother? I kick some pebbles around as Sandeul knocks on the door, and what greeted me was something i never expected.

An old woman, aged around 60, wearing a huge cool pink T-shirt and baggy shorts. Her hair was nicely cut in a cute pixie haircut and boy, she looked energetic.

"Omo, jung hwan ah!" His grandmother hugged him as she patted his . "You're finally here!"

"Neh!" Sandeul beams as his grandmother steps aside to let him in. She looks at me in surprise.

"Is that your girlfriend?"

"Yes, beautiful isnt she?" Sandeul grins proudly, and I bow.

"Hello, I'm Jinnie Lee, it's nice to meet you!"

His grandmother breaks into a radiant smile for me as she pulls me into the house. "Our junghwan has finally grown up... Your parents raised you well, jinnie!"

"Thank you." I smile. I like her already. She's probably the best family member of Sandeul. 

"Grandma, we'll be living with you for around 3 days, okay?" Sandeul asks with his puppy eyes, and his grandma sighs.

"Aye, what a relief that there's someone to take care of you this time. I wouldnt want you following me around!" His grandma announces, making Sandeul blush. She turns to me. "He was just so annoying when he came alone, he followed me everywhere! I couldnt even go out and have a social life without his annoying brat tagging along!" She hit his thigh affectionately. "You two look so cute together. He must be a hard baby to take care of."

"He sure is a giant baby." I giggle, and Sandeul sobs playfully.

"I'm sure you want to show her around Busan. There's a new red bean ice cream shop beside the beach, i think you should try it. Oh, and i forgot to mention that my friend and her son is staying in here too. They're not in right now, i'll introduce you to them at night when they get home." Sandeul's grandma says to him, and Sandeul's eyes widen with delight.

"Really?! Omo, we should go right now jinnie!"

"Is grandma coming along?"

"Do you have any idea why she's already chasing us out?" Sandeul jokes. "Because she wants to go dating with all those ahjussi with big bellies!"

"YAH YOU INSOLENT BRAT!" His grandma grabs a magazine lying on the table and pretends to get up. Sandeul sticks his tongue out at her before grabbing me and running out of the house, accidentally slamming the front door in process. I laugh at the unique yet affectionate interaction between sandeul and his grandmother.  

"Your grandma's so cute!" I exclaim, holding his hand as he puts on his own shades. 

"Marry me and she's your grandma too."

"And we'll hold our wedding here." I finish for him. He stops abruptly, his mouth wide open as he gawks at me, stunned. He was probably joking. I just felt like I had to catch hold of him now, since it felt like i was losing him to Dayoung more and more each day. They just... seem to get along well. 

Yeah. I'm jealous. Very jealous. And trust me, it's not gonna be cute jealousy.

"You mean it?" He asks as i place my palm against his soft cheeks.

"Of course. Who else do you think i'd want, deul? It's only you." I caress his chubby cheek as his lips slowly curved up into a huge smile.

"Babo will be the best man! Dayoung can be the bride-maid!" He suggests brightly, and the mention of Dayoung's name kills my spirits instantly.

"No, deul. I want Bomi to be the bride-maid, not dayoung."

"Bomi?" He his head. "Who is Bomi?"

"Yah lee sandeul!" I hit his head softly. "I have alot of friends, okay! Bomi is someone i'm closer to." I explain, urging him to continue our journey. Just the thought of placing something icy into my mouth is making me want to drool all over the burning pavement. We talk and gossip as we walk, and it's been a while since i had this kind of relaxing date with Sandeul. A date where i don't have to worry about this or that. Relaxing. We reach the ice cream shop located just opposite the beach. It's a humble little shop that provides shade, but it's rather empty. Most of the people are playing on the beach. Skimpily dressed skinny girls running all around, getting their tan and gorgeous half- boys playing beach ball on the sand which i guess must be pretty warm as well. Sandeul and I choose a table near the back of the shop, to get away from the annoying summer heat.

"I wanna order for you!" He insists childishly, trying to get the attention of a waiter. The waiter, i realize as he comes closer, is really good-looking. Chesnut brown hair and deep eyes with a y smile.

Ooh, seductive.

"Welcome." He winks at me, and I smile.

"Hello, attention here!" Sandeul cuts in rudely, and i cant help but smile even wider. The waiter turns to him, raising his eyebrows. "Two red-bean ice creams with marshmallows."

"Be right back." The waiter says to me, winking again before he leaves.

Sandeul is absolutely furious.

"Did you see his face? Oh my God, he's even uglier than Chunji!"

"Chunji oppa isn't ugly!" I frown, and he pouts.

"I'm gonna cry if you continue being like this." Sandeul threatens, and he looks so cute i just had to laugh. The waiter returns quickly with our ice creams, because they isnt much customers anyway. He continues to linger around our table even after handing us our orders.

"I'm Kris." He finally introduces himself, much to Sandeul's dismay.

"I'm Jinnie." I introduce myself. "And he's my boyfriend, Sandeul."

Sandeul grins. "That's my girl."

Kris doesn't seem to mind as he continues to gaze at me. Damn, his eyes are so beautiful. "Do you live around here? I've never seen you."

"Nope, i'm here for summer vacation." I answer frankly. Kris gets a chair and sits down beside me.

"Where are you from?"

"I'm from Seoul."

"And why do you care, Kris? If you don't mind, we're eating." Sandeul snaps. 

"Are you enjoying your stay here? I can bring you around to tour. I know busan pretty well." Kris offers, completely ignoring Sandeul, and I get kind of annoyed now. 

"No, thanks." I decline. "Sandeul oppa knows Busan very well too."

"Just go away, you motherer." Sandeul warns Kris. Kris just raises his eyebrow, standing up.

"My shop will always be open for you, babe." He winks at me again before going to serve the other customers.

"Slimy son of a ." Sandeul growls. "Dont you dare talk to him anymore."

"Aish, you! I wont. Are you finished? Let's go. I cant wait to explore this beautiful place." I smile blissfully. He finishes his last spoon and stands up. I hold his arm tightly in case he finds trouble with Kris or anything. Thankfully, he doesnt as we walk past Kris. Kris doesnt say anything, just looks at me with a weird expression as he mouths 'bye' to me. I turn away from him, focusing on my cute baby hippo instead.

"Where are we going next?"

"The best way to beat summer heat... IS THE BEACH!"

===

By the time we arrived back at his grandmother's house it was already dark, and we were both wet. Literally wet. We spent our day lazing around on the beach, building sandcastles and finally we decided to just go and play in the cooling sea. 

Yeah, we didnt bring clothes to change.

His grandma opens the door quickly, welcoming us as I shiver. At night, the temperature sure goes down by a bit. And i'm wet, so it's really uncomfortable.

"Isnt the beach nice?" His grandma asks me, and i nod happily.

"Busan is such a beautiful place."

"Yes. The beach you just went to is Busan's famous attraction; haundae beach. Go and change, or you'll get sick."

"Neh, thank you~"

She guides us to a room on the second level, and opens the door for me. I enter, and just when Sandeul was about to enter, she stuck out her foot to stop him.

"Your room is over there!" She points at the room beside mine.

"Wae!" Sandeul pouts. "We're a couple, we sleep together."

"This is to punish you for being rude to me, PUNK! Quickly change and come out, i want to introduce my friend and her son to you."

I laugh as i close the door. Sandeul continues to whine and whimper outside the door, and his grandmother's "You're not cute at all" makes me laugh even harder. I quickly wipe myself dry with the towel i brought along, and change into a comfortable white tank-top and shorts, then tying my hair up because it's just too warm. Sandeul wasn't done changing when i went out, and his grandma brought me down first. There were two people sitting on the couch, a guy with chesnut brown hair and a woman. His hair looks.. 

"Kris..?"

Kris looks surprised as well. "Jinnie?"

"Do you two know each other?" Grandma asks, and he nods.

"I guess.. so." I mumble, settling on the other couch. Kris's mother looks alot like him, pretty, but probably around 40. She smiles.

"Your grandson is so lucky to have such a nice girlfriend." She compliments, and i smile shyly. Sandeul came tumbling down the stairs like thunder.

"GRANDMA WHY DIDNT YOU WAIT FOR ME?!" He yells loudly as Kris rolls his eyes.

"Tch, childish." He whispers, catching my eye. "He doesnt suit you."

"Baby just ignore my grandma next time. She makes people turn bad, you know." Sandeul sits beside me. I know he's gonna flare up when he sees Kris. And sure enough, he did.

"WHY ARE YOU HERE?!"

"Sandeul ah, he's my friend's son." Grandma says firmly, in a way like she's asking him to behave. He gets it, and rolls his eyes.

"Just my luck."

"He doesnt seem to like us.." Kris's mother says, and Sandeul shakes his head.

"No, no, i just have a problem with your son flirting with MY girlfriend." He says politely, glaring at Kris. Kris's mother slaps his leg.

"Don't do that anymore!"

"Yeah.." Sandeul agrees, deliberately kissing my cheek. "What's mine is mine."

===

"Hey. Need help?" A quiet voice sneaks up from behind me and i jump in surprise, nearly dropping the bowls i was washing. 

Kris.

"No, im doing well." 

After a tense dinner, i offered to wash the bowls while the rest of them were glued to the television showing a drama that took place right here in Busan. Lovers of Haeundae. Sandeul probably didnt notice Kris's absence.

Kris becomes brave and stands close beside me, helping me wipe the bowls.

"Thanks." I smile.

"I'm really sad." He says.

"Why?"

"I should have met you sooner.. now you're taken. Love at first sight, it's incredible."

"Um. You'll have no problem finding a girlfriend." I say awkwardly, shy. "And Sandeul oppa is a great guy. I love him alot."

"I know, i won't bother you." Kris says, and my heart went out to him. He looks really disappointed. "I'm gonna leave this house until you guys go, cause i wont be able to stand this."

"I understand. Sorry for the inconvenience caused." I apologize, and he just laughs.

"Then i'm gonna go now.." 

"Take care, Kris." I say cheerfully, surprising him. "Bye."

"Bye." He starts to walk away, then stops, as if wanting to say something. He opens his mouth, then closes it again, before finally gathering the courage and timidly pressing his lips against mine. One-second kiss. "I just thought i'd probably regret if if i dont do this." And then he leaves.

===

 

"Sooo comfortable." Sandeul sighs happily. He snuck into my room after his grandma went to bed, and now we're snuggled together on the small single bed.

"Goodnight." I say, closing my eyes. His hands come tighter around me.

"I cant wait to marry you."

"Love you too babe." I mumble sleepily. "No matter what, you cant.. leave me, okay? You cant."

"I wouldnt ever leave you." His reply came immediately. "Me leaving you is almost as impossible as rain coming now in the peak of summer."

Exactly three seconds later the soft plitter-plattering of the raindrops against the window could be heard.

"Uh... that doesnt prove anything." He protests. "I'm never leaving you, i promise."

I just nod in reply.

But whenever i think about Dayoung, i can't help but wonder if the rain is really a sign instead.

 

 

A/N ; OMG FYEAH ONE MORE WEEK AND MY EXAMS ARE OVER! 

Mwahahaha. I'll update code name blue once my exams are over! :) Oh yes, kris is just sooo hot i had to add him inside mwahahahaha.