The other side of the story

Vanishing Acts

I was woken up by a phone call. 

"Sup.." I mumble sleepily, without checking the caller's ID. Then i realize i had fallen asleep on my desk, photos scattered all around.

"Sandeul ah! It's Dayoung. Park Dayoung. Remember?" A nervous voice.

I rub my eyes, trying to freshen up as I squint at the clock in front of my bed. "I remember you, Dayoung, but why are you calling me at 7AM in the morning.."

"Can you.. come over for a while? Please. I have no one else to turn to." Dayoung says seriously.

"Text me the address, i'll be right over." I promise, and she hangs up the phone. I receive a text message 2 minutes after she hung up. Around 30 minutes away by car. I gulp down my bottle of water as I check my reflection in the mirror. My eyes are kind of swollen, but then again, they always are after I sleep. It'll return to normal after a while. Because my features are still in the swollen stage, I grab the gel and start to style my hair up nicely.

It takes a while for me to realize, but I immediately check my phone. She did reply, after all, at 2AM. 2 hours after I sent her the message.

From: Jinnie ^^ <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Text: Happy 4th Anniversary too, my prince duck! <3 I love you so much. See you later, sleep well baby! *^^*

To: Jinnie ^^ <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Text: Yah! Aren't you asleep yet? Who allowed you to still be awake at 2am huh huh HUH?!?!

I set my phone on vibration, fearing she might reply and my phone might ring, waking up my dad although he's in another room. But whatever. I don't really want to be here, anyway. I creep down the stairs and out of the house, turning on my car's engine. I wonder what Dayoung wants with me. Fortunately I was alot more sober as I drove on and on, and there weren't many cars around either.

It's 4am, for crying out loud.

I reach that place slightly after 30 minutes, and frown. A shabby building. Is it her house?

"Dayoung ah, i'm here." I call her, and she picks up immediately.

"#03-122... please hurry..." She says in a shaky voice, and i get increasingly worried as I run upstairs. I think she's crying. I knock on the door, and a Dayoung with red face and messy hair greets me.

"What's wrong?" I ask as she steps aside to let me in.

"It's... it's my sister, Minyoung." Dayoung sniffs, wiping away her tears. "Please come with me."

Wordlessly, i follow her into the house. It's small, like the one I used to live in with Jinnie when we ran away. Good old memories. But this house is darker, and dirtier. Dayoung takes me into the only bedroom where a girl around my age was lying on the bed, the blanket wrapped around her tightly as she howls and in air. Hysterical crying.

"She's two years younger than me..." Dayoung starts. "I received a call from her at around 5AM, and she kept screaming and screaming so all i could do was come here. When i arrived here, i was just about to knock on the door when a man flung open the door and stomped you. He's probably in his late-twenties, rather good-looking. Then i ran in here and her clothes were all torn and yeah to cut it short... she was ."

"?! Why don't you make a police report?"

Minyoung starts to whimper at my words. Dayoung shakes her head.

"She wouldnt allow me to. That person was her boyfriend. Ex-boyfriend. I don't know what to do, so i called you here... i'm sorry if i troubled you, Sandeul.." Dayoung rubs her face. "But i really don't know what to do.."

I put my hand on her shoulder, patting her. "It's okay, i'll try my best to help."

"Thanks." Dayoung dries her tears and I sit on the foot of the bed, looking at Minyoung. She looks really like Dayoung, but Dayoung is prettier. She looks more wild, too, with red hair with white high-lights. Her eyes were puffy from crying.

"Hey, Minyoung. My name is Sandeul." I introduce myself. Minyoung just whimpers in reply.

"You can't just let him hurt you like this, Minyoung. You have to make him pay. What if he does this to another person? Are you going to let other girls become victims as well?" I guess i should try to persuade her to call the police.

"But.." Minyoung finally speaks. "I'm sure Leeteuk oppa didn't mean to.. it was because he was angry and he couldnt think clearly..."

"Angry about what?!" Dayoung snaps.

"Because i wanted to break up with him.." Minyoung sobbed. "He didnt mean to...."

"Don't be a ing idiot, Park Minyoung! Why did you intend to break up with him, then?!" Dayoung yells.

"Because he kept asking me to have with him! But i... i... didn't want to..." Minyoung's voice got softer and softer. "Leeteuk oppa is a good man. He's nice to me, just that he never fails trying to get ual with me. But i rejected his ual advances everytime... and i got tired of telling him im not ready, so i decided to break up with him.. Leeteuk oppa loves me, i'm absolute.."

She's gonna be hard to convince. I glance at Dayoung, and she was clenching her fists. Walking to her, i put an arm around her comfortingly as a friend.

"Don't get so angry."

She smiles sadly. "I'll try."

Minyoung breaks into tears again and Dayoung moves towards the bed, wanting to hug her sister. However, minyoung flinched at Dayoung's touch, and Dayoung eyed me.

"Look away for a moment, Sandeul." She says, and I turn my body towards the door.

"YAH! PARK MINYOUNG YOU ING RETARD!" Dayoung screams, and I jump, surprised. Minyoung's howls get even louder and I turn back to the two sisters. Dayoung had wrapped the blanket around Minyoung again. "YOU'RE ING COVERED WITH BRUISES AND YOU TELL ME THAT BASTARD LOVES YOU?!"

"HE DOES LOVE ME, HE DOES! Leeteuk oppa just got too angry! And don't you think you can just... shout at me like this when you've never treated me as your sister! You've never cared for me, NEVER! I wonder why did i even call you!"

Wow, it's true that it's scary when women quarrel. Dayoung looks at me with pleading eyes and I sigh, walking over to Minyoung again. Dayoung backs off.

"Minyoung.." I say gently, and minyoung looks at me with teary eyes. "Is this the first time he used violence on you?"

When Minyoung shakes her head, i start to feel more confident.

 

 

Thanks again, Sandeul." Dayoung says, and I shake my head, beaming. "I really dont know what to do without you."

"You're welcome, Dayoung. I'm glad i managed to help her."

"Minyoung she..." She glances at the hospital room. "i guess i really failed as an older sister, failing to guide her properly. But it's just that.. we aren't close, at all. We can go on without talking for years."

"Don't think about it anymore." I pat her back. "It's over. I'm sure she will start to open up to you after this."

"Hmm, yeah." Dayoung nods, finally smiling. "Oh , it's so late already. Wanna go have dinner?"

I took a freaking long time to convince Minyoung to report Leeteuk to the police, and when we arrived at the police station, they took a long time to record her statement and everything too, and then she was brought to the hospital for check up and to retain the evidence of Leeteuk's . It's already 5pm, nearing 6.

"Yeah, sure! I know a really good restaurant, but it's rather far.. it's near the Han River. Does minyoung need us?" I ask. Dayoung stops one of the nurses and ask. Then she grins at me.

"Minyoung won't be so fast. At least a few more hours. Let's go eat first, i'm really starving. I bet you are too."

"Yeah, let's go." I laugh, taking her to my car. The journey is faster than expected, and i came to realize that I really enjoy talking to Dayoung. She's been to many places, many countries i've been to and we share our experiences.

"Hey, i've eaten here before." Dayoung laughs as she shuts the door. "The steak is really nice."

"I know, right?" I beam. "Let's hurry, my stomach is screaming."

"I'll treat you. To thank you." Dayoung offers, and I just shrug. 

Doesnt it seem unmanly to let a girl treat you? We choose a table and place our orders, and my stomach doesnt stop growling as I look at the other people eating. The food comes quickly, fortunately, and I tuck in.

"Wow, i just realized you have a different hairstyle today." Dayoung chuckles.

"Handsome, right?" I tease. She blushes. "I can marry this steak, i swear." I laugh.

"Aww, lucky steak." Dayoung giggles.

And then i caught sight of a familiar face. Oh! It's Jinnie.. with Baro? I wave at her, grinning. Dayoung turns as well.

"Lee Sandeul.." Baro speaks instead of her, his voice trembling. With anger? He does look pissed. Very pissed. "You left Jinnie waiting out in the freezing cold for over 3 hours and you're here happily having dinner with another woman?!"

That's when everything came rushing back. Our 4th anniversary. The romantic date i planned by the Han River. The food i intended to cook. The ring i intended to propose with, resting comfortably at home.

I cover my mouth as Jinnie's nose starts to redden. She's going to cry for sure. "I forgot about it!" I admit honestly.

She dabs at the corner of her eyes, tugging at Baro's sleeve as she tiptoes and whispers something into his ears. Baro nods, putting his arm around her. He glares at me and Dayoung before walking out of the restaurant with her.

"I'm sorry!" I apologize quickly to Dayoung and chase after them. I hate the sight of Baro's arm around her. Hugging her from behind tightly, i squeeze my eye shut.

"I'm so sorry, i didn't mean to..." I whisper. There's a million more things i want to say. She prys my hands apart, and my heart drops.

"I don't want to see or talk to you now." She states calmly, and i let my hand drop to my sides. 

I messed up so ing bad. I should just go and die for making my girlfriend wait so long on our 4th anniversary. 

There was nothing else i could do as i watch her walk away with Baro. Baro even removes his own scarf and wrap it around her neck.

Sighing, i head back to the restaurant. Dayoung was poking around at her steak as I take my seat again. She raises an eyebrow.

"Trouble?"

"It's a long story." I sigh.

 

 

I thank my lucky stars as I catch sight of Jinyoung, jinnie and that annoying chunji sitting together. Jinyoung sees me, and says something. Whatever. Hopping to them, i stop behind Jinnie, tugging at her hair.

"Baby."

She shifts towards Chunji and i bite down on my lip as I walk over to sit with jinyoung.

"Let's go, Chun." Jinnie doesn't even bother to look at me and she shakes Chunji's hand. Chunji glances at me before standing up with her.

"Bye, sunbae." Chunji beams at jinyoung, offering to hold Jinnie's bag at the same time. I look at jinyoung with pleading eyes, but that person doesnt even bother to help me. He just shrugs.

'Yah. Dont make friends with that chunji guy. He's a bad nut." I warn jinyoung, not wanting to see them walk away from me. Jinyoung raises his eyebrows.

"You're a bad nut, too."

 

 

When she opened the door i stepped in quickly, not giving her a chance to shut it before i go in.

"I'm sorry. It's my fault. Forgive me." I mumble softly.

"Yeah, thanks for the memorable 4th anniversary, baby." Jinnie says angrily, and i drag my lousy eyes up to meet hers.

"I didn't mean to. Give me a chance to make up to you." I whimper, but she just turns away coldly.

"Give me more time to chill."

I take the initative to hug her, burying my face in the curve of her neck.

"I cant wait. It's driving me mad, i miss you so bad. I can't watch you go off with that Chunji guy." I admit my heartfelt feelings.

"Yeah, and i sure had alot of fun and happiness watching you and Dayoung. How could you? She's my best friend, you stupid mutt." She pushes me away, but i stubbornly hug her again.

"Your mutt." And because i dont know what to say, i silence her with a kiss, picking her up and carrying her to the bedroom.

"Yah. I'm still really pissed." Jinnie snorts. I laugh, removing my jacket.

"Not gonna you." I assure her, and Minyoung comes into my mind. I wonder how she is now. Whatever, focus on jinnie. Wrapping my jacket around her petite body, i hug her. "You smell like me now. You smell like my property." And because she just looks too vunlerable like that, i kiss her forehead, wishing i could dig out my heart and show her that the only person i'll ever love is her.

"Whatever you say." She rolls her eyes, removing my jacket. Butterflies explode in my stomach again, and for one moment all i could think of was how life was going to be without her. But i grab her hand and put the jacket on her again. Then that familiar smell enters my nostrils, and i sniff, grinning.

"You used my shampoo!" I tease. She ignores me, shaking free of my hand and pulling the blanket over her body.

"Dont." I sigh. "We're not supposed to fight over these things. We're supposed to fight over childish things like you staring at other guys, me saying you're fat... not over this."

"Sandeul..." she whispers, making my heart go all soft.

"Hmm?" I pull the blanket off her. "Don't worry, i'd love you for all of eternity."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolute. You know something? Other people's love last for a lifetime. But our love, baby," I take her in my arms, cuddling with her. "is gonna last for all of eternity."

She breathes deeply as i bury my face in her hair. It smells so sweet.

"What can i do, you're just like my virus. There's no known cure." I turn her over, kissing her lips. I could kiss them all day if she'd let me. "But its not like i mind. I love you so much."

"I love you too." She whispers back. Good. I think she's not that pissed anymore. Our relationship is stable again.

"Little fox. Mine, you're all mine." I smile. "The one and only word to describe you would be mine. Lee Sandeul's. You're all of my love."

"Hmm.." She replies, and i her cheeks before i realize her forehead is burning.

"Are you sick?"

"Yeah. I waited in the cold for you." She replies, and i bite down on my lip, pulling her closer.

"I'm sorry, baby." I whisper, her hair, coaxing her to sleep.

Someday... I smile as i watch her peaceful face with closed eyes. Her breathing starts to slow, and she's probably falling asleep already. She must be really sick.. Someday, no, soon, i'll propose again. And i'm sure she'll accept me this time.

 

 

A/N; will try to update one more of my ff soon! Do tell me which you want to be updated if you did subscribe to my other fanfics ^^ And thanks star_strxck for the poster, love you! :)

Comments are loved! :) xxx