Relatable

Misunderstanding

"Let's hang out this weekend-- just you and me."

"W-What?" Bekah stuttered. It'd been a while since she heard those words from Chansung.

"Yeah; I realized the other day that we rarely hang out one on one. Let's do that."

The breezy wind swept across the landscape as they sat on the balcony of the school center, watching people board buses. They had just finished dance practice-- another activity they had in common. For the weeks and months in which Chansung didn't talk to Bekah, he didn't come to practice. It was nice to finally have her dance partner back.

"You're not going to not show up like you did last time, are you?" Bekah asked skeptically. 

The last time he told her to meet up with him, she ended up waiting for a good hour before deciding that he wasn't worth waiting for. Turns out, he was hanging out with some other girl from school instead.

"Nah, of course not," He smiled at her, hoping that she'd forget what had happened in the past. He really was trying to be different.

"You better not," Bekah glared at him.

"Alright, how about this: you come over to my house; that way, there's no way I could bail, and you it."

"Fine. Sounds good to me."

Saturday. 5:00PM. His parents were leaving the house to watch a movie, and his brother was going out on a date that night; she'd be alone with just him.

 

"Bex, help me out with something?" Gahee approached Bekah as she was closing her locker.

"Hmm?"

"Here, follow me."

Gahee led Bekah to the dance studio where her books were scattered about the floor as if she had been rummaging through her bag wildly.

"Remember how I told you that Jay and I weren't talking anymore?"

Bekah nodded.

"Well... I have a serious problem; I have that showcase next week, and he's the only other person who has the mixtape. I really need it."

"And you want me to help you get it?"

Gahee nodded. "But don't tell him that it's for me... say that you're getting it because you heard from me that it's a great mix and that you wanted to choreograph something to it for fun."

"I've only spoken to Jay twice... and for ten minutes each time. It's sort of awkward if I suddenly asked him for it... wouldn't it?"

"No, not at all.. He's a nice guy, just be the sweet girl you are; he'll definitely help you."

Bekah hesitated, "Fine. I'll ask him when I see him and get it to you ASAP."

"Thanks, Bex. I owe you one!"

Gahee and Jay used to be such good friends. They were practically like Bekah and Chansung, except for the fact that the roles were reversed. Bekah could tell that Jay had a crush on Gahee, even though she clearly only liked him as a friend. She explained it to her once: "Jay and I have a weird relationship. We're not just friends, but we're not romantically involved with each other." It was better for Jay though, because Gahee actually made the effort to hang out with him and never once broke her promises to Jay.

 

Bekah made her way out of the dance studio and to psychology class, excited that she'd be seeing Chansung in a few minutes; plus she was wondering how people were going to analyze her drawing of Chansung.

But just as she was walking past a common room near the psychology classroom, she saw Chansung laying on the couch, resting his head on Goo Hara's lap. Her heart sank a little; thinking about Chansung with other girls made her jealous, but she knew that this time she had to be careful about being jealous. She had always thought that her jealousy was what drove him away. And so, she kept walking to the classroom, pretending that she hadn't seen anything.

"Hey," She greeted quietly as she walked into the classroom.

Jay was the only person in the classroom so far.

"Hey," He answered in a quiet tone as well as he looked at his iPod.

Bekah took in a deep breath, "I have a favor to ask."

"Hmm?"

"I heard from someone that you had a really good mixtape for dance.... I was wondering... if... maybe... I could have a copy?"

He chuckled, "Gahee told you?"

"Yeah... She only has the CD version and she won't give it to me... She told me that you could send it to me through e-mail or even burn it onto a CD for me."

"Yeah, I'll burn it onto a CD for you," He said as he was about to put an earbud into his ear.

"Wait... another thing."

"Mmm?" He looked up.

"I know this is none of my business.... but... I just wanted to be a good friend to Gahee..."

He sat silently looking at her.

"Have you ever thought about being friends with her again?"

"What?"

"I mean... She really liked being your friend, and frankly just as a third party looking upon this situation.... I really think it'd be a good idea to start talking to her again and work out the situation."

He just stared at her.

"Look, she told me everything that happened. You guys got into a fight... but it's not like this is the first time, right? If anything, do me a favor, okay? Just talk it out with her, I know you miss being friends too."

"But..."

"Please?"

"I--"

"Jay?"

He sighed and shook his head, "I can't anymore."

She recognized that facial expression... It was a sign of defeat. When you realize that the other person just didn't like you back, and never will, you begin to let go and cut them off completely from your life.

"Would you rather never talk to her again?"

"I'm going to make amends before we graduate, obviously... but just not now..."

Gahee and Jay were both seniors; Bekah often forgot since they both were in a few of her classes.

"What exactly is holding you back?"

"I mean..."

Just then, people started gathering in the classroom for class. As usual, their teacher was late, but Jay stopped talking anyways. It was far too private of a matter for him to be talking about in front of all these people.

"We can talk about it later, if you want," Bekah whispered to him; he was sitting two seats away from her, but there was no one in those two seats.

"Yeah," Jay sighed, "Lunch?"

At first, she thought of declining, since she wanted to have lunch with Chansung as they always did, but agreed. Chansung had Hara anyways.

Class went by pretty quickly, no one had much to say about her drawing, besides the fact that she drew his features in much detail, indicating that she's a meticulous person.

When class was dismissed, she packed up quickly and followed Jay out of the room.

Chansung was expecting her to wait for him so that they could have lunch together. Seeing her walk out of class without paying him any attention made him a little mad. She was always his fallback, and now it seemed like even she was abandoning him, just like the rest of his "close friends".

 

Sitting in the less dense area of the cafeteria, Jay and Bekah had a lot more privacy to talk about Jay and Gahee.

"Honestly, I do miss being friends with her... I just feel like it'll just never work out."

Bekah rested her chin on her palm, nodding.

"She just seems to hate my friends, and she also just doesn't really get it...."

"You like her don't you." Bekah said bluntly.

"What? No..."

She glared at him.

"Yeah.... I do..."

"I knew it. That's why you feel like you can't be friends with her, right?"

He nodded.

"You and I are in the same boat, buddy."

"You with Chansung?"

Bekah nodded. She was glad she found someone who she could relate to in that department.

"So you understand how I feel, right?"

"Yes... but to a certain extent, I feel like I have it worse. Chansung's always breaking his promises and making it hard for me to be friends with him... but at least Gahee keeps her promises and is a good friend."

"Then, why do you like him?"

"Honestly?"

Jay nodded.

"I'm not really sure. There's just a side to him where he's just all these things that I like: cute, silly, funny, smart, y... everything."

"But..?"

"But sometimes he's just such a douche."

Jay chuckled.

Bekah looked at her watch and saw that the period was ending. She had History next and there was no way she could be late.

"Hey, I have class next period, so I have to run, but if you need me to talk about this... just text me. You have my number, right?"

He nodded.

"Alright, I'll talk to you later then!" She grabbed her tray, cleaned up and sprinted away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eh. I'm working on the next chapter already. :) Hope you guys actually like this fic. I feel like it's better than my previous one.

haha

anyways. I hope you'll subscribe and leave comments for me to read.

Thanks!!
yellowbee