Bittersweet

Misunderstanding

A week flew by, and before Bekah knew it, she was sitting in Khun's house with him and all of his family. She couldn't help but to feel uneasy at the sight of so many of Khun's relatives, knowing she was the only one that wasn't a part of the family.

They made their way around the party, greeting all his relatives along the way. By dinner time, she was sure she knew everyone's names and relationship to Nichkhun.

Though it was a tradition at the Horvejkul house to have the younger generation sit together, Khun's parents were interested in hearing about Bekah's family and background. Though you'd expect it to be the most awkward thing in the world, it really was quite the opposite.

She was eloquent, smart and sweet, making the Horvejkuls believe that Khun had truly found his match.

It wasn't until Nichkhun whispered to them in Thai that they realized that Bekah wasn't really romantically interested in him and never had been. He was that kind of guy-- oblivious to the feelings of his friends. He did have gut feelings occasionally, but they were often times shut away by his conscious mind. He believed that nothing was better than a strong friendship. What he also shut away were his feelings-- his feelings for her. Whenever she'd giggle cutely or make romantic advances onto him, his feelings would outgrow his stream of consciousness. It was strange, though. Why hadn't she been talking to him flirtatiously as she did two weeks ago?

Bekah hadn't told him yet that Chansung accepted her confession. As a matter of fact, the only person that Bekah told was Nana, who of course told Taecyeon.

Throughout dinner, she couldn't stop thinking about Chansung. True, it had been a week, but it just seemed as if the magic of the first days of love had not quite blown over. Her heart still fluttered when she thought about their moment in the playground. When Khun's hand had brushed slightly over hers she'd blush only because she was so deep in thought about Chansung that she would imagine Khun's hand to belong to Chansung.

 

Meanwhile, Chansung was out in his backyard playing basketball by himself, hoping to take his mind off the fact that Bekah was with another boy, meeting his family.

When it became tedious, shooting one hoop after the other, he sat down on the porch in the back and sighed, wondering to himself what he was doing, letting the girl he had been secretly crushing on have dinner with another boy now, especially now that they had established a mutual feeling towards one another.

He gulped down his water, brainstorming ideas on how he could turn this all around tonight. Truthfully, he was worried, not sure whether or not she would be the kind to cheat. He never saw her that way, but you just never know. As the nerves grew, he finally made a decision to surprise her at Khun's house and walk her home.

They all lived in the same suburban area anyway, it wasn't like he had no idea where the Horvejkul household was located.

He ran into the house checking the time: 7:30 PM. The dinner would be ending soon, he had better hurry up.

Quickly, he grabbed his housekeys and sprinted down the streets to Nichkhun's house, hoping he wasn't going to miss her.

In mere minutes he was standing at the gate of Khun's house. He felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable waiting outside someone else's home. It was as if he was stalking someone. His idea probably wasn't too well thought out. What if one of Khun's neighbors thought that he was Khun's sister, Yanin's stalker? Bekah had better be leaving this house soon... for his sake.

 

Bekah got up from the dinner table as everyone was done eating. She helped Mrs. Horvejkul clean up the tables and wash dishes before she gathered her things from the living room. 

But just as she was about to leave, Khun stopped her.

"Hey, don't you want to stay for a little bit longer? We can just hang out."

She looked at her watch , "Chansung and I are going out tomorrow morning, so I should probably go home and get rested."

"Oh come on, it's 7:40; you're not going to bed now, are you?"

She laughed at her own inability to calculate the time, "Sorry, my mind's not functioning right now. It's just not been cooperating today."

"That's why you've been sort of spacey," he nodded.

"Hey!" She lightly slapped his arm.

"Alright, if you must go to bed this early, miss senior citizen, I'll walk you back to your house."

"Khun!" She whined, "Stop making fun of me."

He chuckled as he put on his shoes and sweatshirt. "Come on, let's get going."

"It's fine, Khun," she said without thinking twice, "I can walk home by myself."

"But it's late and it's dark outside!"

"I'm a tough girl, it'll be okay," she smiled as she opened the door, about to leave.

She hadn't seen Chansung yet as he blended into the darkness of the night in his black attire; Khun quickly grabbed her arm, pulling her back into the house.

All Chansung could do was watch and listen; he didn't want to yell, it would have pissed off Khun's neighbors.

"Bekah, it's dangerous!" Khun scolded.

"Oh, because the suburbs are so dangerous," she giggled. "I told you, I can handle myself, plus my house isn't even that far."

She turned to walk away again, but he grabbed her arm tighter this time.

"What?" She turned around.

And before she could think twice, he pulled her out the front door, closed it and kissed her under the porchlight.

She quickly pulled away as soon as their lips met.

"Khun, I'm sorry. I know this is going to be seem extremely y of me, but--"

"Bekah and I are a thing," Chansung stepped in, still in disbelief of what had just happened. He didn't know if Khun knew of his and Bekah's new status of relationship, but he was still angry at what he saw.

"I-I..." Khun stuttered. His heart shattered.

Chansung opened the gate and walked onto the pathway that divided the front lawn in half, making his way to the porch. He placed his hands around Bekah's waist, gently tugging her down the steps.

"Chan?" Bekah said with a surprised expression. What was he doing here?

"Hey," he smiled at her.

"Oh.. Um.. Sorry for intruding on your relationship. God.. this is awkward... I didn't know, I'm sorry," Khun said, still trying to recover from that blow to his ego.

"No worries, man. You didn't know, afterall," Chansung did feel bad for pulling the clouds from beneath Khun.

Bekah began to feel the guilt weigh down too.

"Um... then I'll just leave you two to be then, er..." He said as he began to turn away.

"Khun!" Bekah said.

"Hmm?" He looked back.

"Umm.... I'm sorry."

There really weren't any words that could mend a broken heart besides the universal panacea: "I love you".

He shrugged and quietly said "Good night" before disappearing back into his house.

 

Bekah looked at Chansung, as he did her.

"What-- What just happened?" she asked him.

"I'm not quite sure, honestly..." he replied.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" She asked after a few minutes of silence as they walked.

"I don't know, Bex."

She sighed as she exuded guilt.

He took her hand and inter-locked his fingers with hers hoping she would feel better. Swinging his arm slightly to play up his aegyo, he spoked again, "Cheer up, champ. Don't get too down about it. I guarantee you, if you felt bad for every guy that you were rejecting, you'd be in the psych ward for being depressed."

"What?"

"What, you didn't know? A lot of guys at school like you," he said as he clung onto her hand tighter.

"I had no clue," she said as she smiled to herself with more confidence.

"Hey, we're still together; just a little reminder," he said insecurely. 

"Don't worry, Chan. You're still number one in my heart," she said as she drew an "x" on her chest, over her heart.

She walked closer to him, leaning against his shoulder.

"Good," he kissed her head as he switched hands and placed his free hand over her shoulder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter for you all :)

Hope you enjoyed it!

Comments, subscriptions? 

Thank you all for your support!