Reconcilement

Misunderstanding

Bekah sat cross-legged on the floor in her room scrolling through old texts, textbooks and clothes scattered everywhere. It had been a while since she received one from Chansung. She giggled at an silly one he had sent her late that night at around 2:00 AM when she was studying for a big history test. He was pulling an all-nighter with her, helping her when she needed it even though he had absolutely no reason to be up. His texts were always fun to read.... until she realized that they weren't on speaking terms-- again.

It was the first day of lunar new year today, and her mother would be hosting a big celebration at their house; every asian family in the neighborhood was invited. Most importantly, he'd be coming today. If it weren't for the fact that her mother was so generous in inviting everyone whenever they held events, he wouldn't even be invited.

',' she thought, 'I totally forgot.' She looked at the clock on her desk to check how long she had been daydreaming about Chansung.... an hour. It was currently 3PM, if she hurried, she could clean and get dressed before all the guests begin to arrive at 3:30.

She threw her phone onto the ground and scrambled to clean her room, just in case he (or anyone for that matter) would be visiting her room. In no time, she was ready to go; dark skinny jeans, a white v-neck and her hair in a messy braid-- nothing special.

"Bekah! Guests are arriving. Could you come down and help, please?" Her mother called from downstairs.

"Yeah! Be there in a sec!" She replied loudly before she grabbed her phone, slipping it in her pocket, then running down the stairs.

There was a moment of disappointment when she realized that it hadn't been Chansung and his family arriving, but nevertheless, she still kindly brought the family to the backyard where the party would be held and chatted with them like a good hostess.

The doorbell rang again, and she excused herself from the backyard to receive the incoming guests.

Still no signs of Chansung.

It wasn't until the fifth ring of the doorbell that he and his parents stood upon their porch happily greeting her with a "Happy New Year!" and complimenting her on becoming more beautiful since the last time they saw her. He smiled at her as if nothing had ever changed-- like they had never stopped talking. Not knowing what to make of it, she simply decided to shrug it off and follow her plan: ignore him for the duration of the night. It was painful enough to have the person you like to suddenly act as if you didn't exist and date other girls, clearly knowing of your crush. She didn't want to go through it again for the fourth time.

In a way, she was happy enough, liking him from afar. Plus, at this point she didn't even like him that much anymore. She had her eyes set on multiple other guys. It was part of her "get over Chansung" plan. Maybe being less emotionally attached to a single boy would be better... less heartbreak.

Bringing his family to the backyard where the other families were socializing, she realized that Chansung had been casting a steady stare upon her as she was walking side-by-side with him. But she was used to it. 

When they settled, she made her way back to the kitchen where her mother was preparing dinner.

"Bekah, could you gather some of your friends to help wrap dumplings? I really don't think I can single-handedly finish wrapping all this and barbeque everything in time," Her mother asked with worried eyes.

"No problem, mom. I'm on it," She smiled sweetly at her mother and quickly walked back to he backyard.

Approaching each family one by one, she asked each if she could borrow their sons and daughters for some help in the kitchen, to which all gladly sacrificed their children. When she reached Chansung's family, she didn't even need to ask. His mother seemed to have read her mind and offered her son up.

After a little fuss, he sighed and followed her to the kitchen.

Not a word was spoken.

Again, all he did was stare at her as they walked, but she didn't bother turning her head. He periforal vision was good enough for her to determine the expression on his face. Any clueless person would have said that he was in love with her by the way he was looking at her, but she knew that that was not the case.

When they got to the kitchen, she saw that whether they were kneading the dough, mixing the ingredients, or chopping ingredients, everyone was hard at work. Everyone except for her and Chansung of course.

"Bekah! Could you take over the chopping? Nichkhun's doing a terrible job. I think he'd be better off mixing the ingredients. You too Chansung, could you help Bekah?" Her mom ordered as she tried to joke around with Khun.

"But--" Khun tried to defend but couldn't come up with a good defense for his awful chopping skills.

He was one of her multiple crushes, a part of her big plan to get over Chansung. His kind heart and perfect features made her heart melt whenever she saw him, but in a particularly different way than the way Chansung made her heart leap.

'This could all work out,' she thought to herself as she rushed to Khun to help him pick up the pieces he chopped.

 "Alright. Time for you to move, Khun. This is how a real chef does it," Bekah teased.

He flashed his puppy eyes at her, making her heart beat faster.

"Khun! We need you here to help wrap the dumplings!" His sister, Sherleen called to him.

"Be there in a sec!" He said as he looked to Bekah, apologizing with his eyes.

She smiled at him before he dashed away to help the dumpling-wrappers.

Bundle by bundle, Bekah and Chansung made their way through mounds of vegetables. When they finished, Chansung took the chopping boards away to wash and cleaned everything up before she could tell him not to as he was a guest, and it was her job as the hostess.

The dumpling-wrappers soon finished off their job as well. All that was left was to wait for the dumplings to be steamed.

Just as she was walking away from Chansung to hang out with Khun and his siblings, Chansung called her name.

"So you're really not talking to me?" He asked.

She looked at him blankly.

"What ever happened to us?"

'What exactly do you mean by "us"?' She thought.

"I mean, we used to be such close friends. We had so much fun together."

'Well let me think about that one... oh right. I remember now. You're the one that mysteriously stopped talking to me.' She replied to him in her head.

He paused and thought for a second, "Can we be friends again? I feel like I don't have very many of those nowadays."

She sighed as the bad memories all came back again.

The time he had just found out that she liked him and replied by telling her that he had a huge crush on the girl that she had clearly told him she hated. Or that time told her that they'd hang out on a school trip, but left her without anyone to talk to because he was too busy flirting with Goo Hara.

Bekah rolled her eyes, "No. And I hope you're not serious about this being friends again business. If you are...." She bit her lip, "You're insane."

He widened his eyes at her blunt response. By no means had he expected her to reply that way.

He watched as she walked away but was determined to make her fall for him again. It was always nice having that feeling of being wanted by a girl like Bekah.

At dinner, everyone was scattered about the house. There were people in the backyard (mostly adults and young children), living room, kitchen and in the basement.

She plopped herself down on the carpet in the basement as Khun, Nana and Taecyeon followed them her in, doing the same.

They gossipped about their classmates as they ate the food that they made themselves.

Not long after, Chansung came down to hang out with them.

"Hey, I was looking for you guys!" He sounded mildly annoyed that they ditched him.

"Ah, sorry man," Taecyeon tried to apologize.

He sat down next to Bekah joining in on the conversation.

As time passed, it became more and more obvious that Chansung was trying to get Bekah's attention. Everyone could tell. 

But she resisted. She had to. Or else... it would happen again.

More bad memories came back:

That time he told the entire basketball team about her crush on him, making her look like she was madly in love with him-- which she was. Even that time he totally forgot her birthday even though she remembered his. 

The more she thought about it, the more livid she became. It was supposed to be a happy day, so she ignored him and his attention-seeking ways.

"Bekah, stop ignoring Chansung. He's bothering me now..." Taecyeon said as Chansung latched himself onto his arm playfully like a child.

She couldn't help but to giggle a little at Chansung's cute act.

Chansung laughed a little too. And for a moment, it felt like they weren't fighting.

"Truce?" He asked again.

Rolling her eyes at him, she finally said, "This is going to be your last chance. No more of this silent treatment business."

He gave her his best imitation of Khun's puppy eyes and nodded.

 

As the guests left, Bekah stood at the front door waving goodbye to the cars that drove away; Chansung's was the last to leave. When everyone was gone, and she had finished helping her parents clean up the house, she ran back up to her room throwing her phone onto her bed, waiting for a text.

It was hard to admit....but she was still completely infatuated with Chansung. She knew that she couldn't be. It just wasn't right. Somehow it felt like they wouldn't be friends for very long before he stops talking to her again. It was just hard to not like him. He was so charming, and he always knew how to charm her and get to her heart.

She sighed as she lay there staring at the ceiling, clueless as to what the next step was. She would have gotten on to facebook and maybe started a chat with him... but then she remembered how he unfriended her after their last fight.

What a jerk. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha. Hey guys. I hope you all liked this first chapter. This would be my second fic now.

umm... hopefully this storyline will keep you all interested ^-^

please subscribe and leave comments. THANKS!

--yellowbee