What Goes Around

Misunderstanding

Walking through the hallway with more lightness to her feet, Bekah was now travelling the higher road of life. She had nothing to worry about-- school work was manageable, she and her friends were all on good terms, and most importantly, she and Wooyoung were going on a date tonight.

As the bell rang, she quickly swept up her backpack, excited to go home to pick out the cute outfit and fiddle with her hair and make up. It wouldn't be like those times when she would go out with Chansung looking mildly slob-ish for the mere reason that she and Chansung were so close, it never mattered how they looked in front of each other. She wasn't quite sure which she preferred. 

On the route she always took home she would pass by the playground; on most days, she would try to avoid the playground so that she wouldn't have to think about Chansung, but things were different today. She felt fine passing by the quaint little playground.

"B!" Khun shouted, standing up from the swings.

Bekah turned in surprise; she had recognized his voice and wondered why he had been sitting in the playground all by himself.

"Hey, Nick," she greeted happily.

"What are you up to tonight?" He asked warily.

"Uh..." she wasn't sure she wanted to tell people just yet. She always had the feeling that she jinxed all her relationships by talking about them too early. "I'm busy with some stuff."

"Ah, really.." He looked aside, nervously, "Are you sure you can't make some time to hang out with me?"

She wasn't sure what to do; Khun was her friend, it would have been wrong to lie to him.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. My family already made plans."

He laughed, "Well maybe next weekend then... or tomorrow?"

"Yeah! Tomorrow sounds great, actually."

"Okay then! I'll text you and see what you want to do."

By the end of their conversation, they had already reached Bekah's house.

"I'll see you tomorrow, then!" Bekah waved off as she walked through the gate, closing it behind her.

He waited until she was out of sight to leave. He sighed, unsure of whether or not he should go after her or not. She was always a tricky girl. 

 

Meanwhile, at school, Chansung strode through the hallways searching for his notebook. He was sure that he had lost it during his psychology class. In his mind, he prayed that no one would find it and read all the psychology journals that he had written for class. For some reason, he had always written about Bekah in those journals. Whenever their teacher would lead them through an exercise, leading the class' writing by voicing topics one by one: "Write about a song that you love", "Bees", "An apology", Chansung would always think immediately of Bekah.

"God damn it," he huffed.

Just as he was about to give up hope, his psychology teacher walked out of the classroom. 

"Oh? Chansung? You're not looking for your notebook are you? I gave it to Bekah to give to you. I just assumed that since the two of you probably see each other all the time she'd just give it to you."

His heart may have stopped beating. Is this man crazy?!

"Hm... Thanks," he mumbled before shuffling off. 

It was now his mission to get this notebook back as soon as possible.

Next stop: Bekah's house.

 

As Bekah put on a warm sweater with a pair of jean shorts, she danced and lip-synched with the music blasting from her radio.

Tonight was going to be great.

She barely put any make up on, deciding that Wooyoung would have to like her anyway without a pound of make up on her face. 

Downstairs, someone stood on the porch, knocking loud enough for her to hear.

A euphoric rush of excitement filled her as she grabbed a bag and sprinted down the stairs.

Opening the door, she was greeted by Chansung who was huffing and puffing from sprinting to her house from school.

"Chansung?" She mouthed, confused.

"Sor--" He took a deep breath, "Sorry to bother you, but I heard you had my psychology journal." 

"Yeah.. I do..." She asked, suspcious as to why he was so eager to have his journal back.

"Can I have it back?" He asked, now caught up with his breath.

"Um. Sure." She squinted at him before turning around, "Stay here."

She made her way up the stairs, into her room, scanning the room for her backpack. Could she have looked through his notebook to see what exactly was going on in his mind? Yes. Should she? Probably not... but in many ways, Chansung owed her some explanation. She grabbed the notebook from her backpack, still debating the matter.

Why not. She said to herself, casually flipping the journal open to the most recent entry.

"I'm sorry, Bekah."

Wait-- what.

"I'm really sorry. I don't know what I'm doing, throwing you away like this. I really want you back-- and I don't know what's stopping me--"

"Um... excuse me. What are you doing." Chansung's distinct voice made her jump a little. "Are you reading my journal entry?!" He reached over her shoulder, snatching the notebook out of her hands.

"Chan..."

He looked away.

"Wha--What..."

He still refused to look at her.

"Which one did you read?" He asked, preparing himself for the worst.

"The most recent one..." She said.

They stood silently in her room.

"If... If that's how you feel. Why...."

Again, silence.

"I don't know." 

They stood in the same place for another two minutes-- just him, avoiding her stare and her, lookinga t him, waiting for a response.

"Chansung; I just want to make it clear: you've done your damage. My reading this journal is not going to change how I feel about what you've done to me. I'm still putting together the pieces of my heart. I have a date with Wooyoung tonight; and--"

"I know."

"Good."

"But that doesn't mean we can't be friends, right?"

"I don't know. I'm afraid that I might just give into my feelings for you. When you're involved... everything gets so... complicated."

"Bekah..." He finally looked at her, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I'll think about it." She said, reaching out to place her hand on his shoulder. "Just get your mind off of this. It seems like you've been putting too much thought to this as I have been. Go see other girls."

The doorbell rang-- something Chansung never used. She should have known from the knocking earlier that it was him at her door.

"That's probably Wooyoung. If he asks, you're just here to pick up a notebook."

Chansung nodded compliantly, following her down the stairs.

She creaked open the door so that whoever was standing on the porch could see only her, but to her surprise there stood NichKhun before her.

"Khun? What are you doing here?"

"I... um...." He scratched his head, "I was just going to convince your mom to let me take you out tonight and let you avoid whatever activity she had planned for your family."

"Oh..." Bekah just knew that Chansung was smiling at the rut she was in. "She's actually not going to be home for a while..."

"Perfect! We can go out and grab something to eat, and I'll bring you home before she gets home."

"Heh.." Bekah laughed nervously.

Without any warning, Chansung opened the door wide so that Nichkhun could see him standing behind her.

"This is awkward. I was actually just going to take her to do just that." Chansung said as he put his arm around her.

Nichkhun, to say the least, was shocked; there was something about this situation that seemed fishy. It was the way Bekah was looking at Chansung, the disbelief in her eyes as she shot him a subtle glare.

"Really..." 

Though she was glaring at him, she was quite glad that Chansung had just read her mind. 

"Yeah, really. Go on. We're just getting ready to leave." Chansung shoo-ed

In his mind, nothing made sense. Hadn't he asked her to forget about Chansung? It was, afterall, for her own good. He knew that she knew this fact without being reminded.

"You know, Chansung. You're pretty shameless for doing this to Bekah."

"Doing what, exactly, Khun?"

"Throwing her feelings around like they don't matter." 

Ouch. He really hit home with that one.

"Thanks for butting into our relationship, but I think we have it handled."

"No, you don't. You need to leave her alone."

But that was exactly what he had been doing for the past couple of days.

"Stop coming to her house to pick her up for dinner; stop taking a place in her life that someone else more capable should be."

"And are you her guardian, now? Do you dictate her life?" He tried to refute Khun's attacks, but couldn't.

"No; she's an idiot. She doesn't know what is right and wrong."

"You know, jealousy is an ugly trait, Khun." Chansung tried to pull the best insult he could. "If you're so angry that I'm taking what you think is your rightful spot, then you should work harder, or-- here's a good idea-- understand the idea that some people just get along better in certain ways than others. Maybe your personality just doesn't fit with hers as mine does."

Khun, stood there silently, as did Bekah.

She had learned to keep shut and avoid involvement whenever these two had gotten into fights.

"Now if you don't mind, and I really don't care if you do or not, please kindly leave and wait until she texts you," He finally said, shutting the door in Khun's face.

"Ouch, dude."

"I'm sorry. Someone needed to say it."

"But still..."

"Just thank me. He needs to know that you're never going to like him like that."

"Why are you assuming that I'm never going to like him like that?"

"Because i know you. i know you well enough to understand that he's not your type. He needs someone to tell him off."

"One of the two things you just said was true."

"Really... Which?"

"Guess."

"Well I'm hoping that it's the first part of what i said."

Bekah shrugged, plopping herself down on the third step of the staircase. Chansung sat down next to her.

"So you're really serious about telling me to experiment with more girls?"

She nodded.

"But I've had my time to experiment with other girls."

"I haven't had that same time to experiment with guys."

He laughed, "I guess then I should let you try."

She nodded.

"Alright."

The doorbell rang.

He nodded his head towards the door, urging her off to her date. 

She stood up; he handed her her bag, whispered "good luck" and stood up out of sight of the open door.

 

He couldn't help but to wince a little as he saw her leave with Wooyoung, but it was the right thing to do. It was her turn to hurt him now-- it was only right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yayyyy another chapter. 

comment. 

subscribe.

i love you all.

<3,

yellowbee