I'm Not Ashamed

Mrs. Kim

Kangin couldn’t focus on practice and that was a detriment to him and all the people that put their hard work into this play; but how Olivia’s father felt about people who weren’t black plagued his mind and heart. He thought he was the one who was going to have a hard time convincing his family about Olivia being black but that wasn’t the case.

After practice he was to meet Evelyn, the cool younger sister. He stopped by the dorm first to shower and change. He cleaned up nicely rocking jeans, shirt and blazer. He was excited and hoped that at least she would like him. He rang the door bell.

“OPPA!” Evelyn didn’t waist anytime. She gave him the biggest hug, “You are so squishy…in a good way. You have a warm aura,”

“Don’t spook the poor man,” said Sasha

“I was just kidding, I don’t believe in that aura crap but you’re very warm and very good looking. Good teeth, manly presence and you got that I’m going to protect my woman vibe,”

“Thank you Evelyn. I like you already,” he smiled at the younger girl

“I like you too,”

“All right now don’t go getting any ideas of stealing my man,” Olivia wrapped her arms around Kangin and kissed his cheek

“I have no intentions of doing that. You don’t have any siblings do you?”

“No I’m an only child,” he chuckled

“Why is it that the really good looking guys with their stuff together only children?”

“Well I have some cousins,”

“Sign me up please,” they all laughed until Rachel suddenly appeared from her room looking suspicious

“Did you bring it?” she asked Kangin

All the girls gave them confused looks

“Yeah it’s in the car,”

“Well what good is it in the car. Go get it,” she shoved him towards the door with a serious expression on her, “I don’t know why you would come in this apartment without it,”

He laughed loudly as he left the apartment.

“What’s going on? What was that about?” asked Olivia

“He told me he would bring it. I don’t know why he would come in here without it,”

“Omg, drugs?” Evelyn was shocked

“Get a hold of yourself,”

“Well what is it?”

“This,” Kangin came back with a bag and a smile on his face, “Honestly Rachel you really need to get a grip,”

“You don’t understand. After my grandmother passed I haven’t been able to find anyone who can make it like she can and then Oppa brought some leftovers and I found it and instantly fell in love,”

“Must be food. That’s the only reason Rachel would be rambling on like a nut,” said Evelyn

“You know me so well E,” she smiled as she put the Kimchi in refrigerator

“You mean to tell me you were tripping over some Kimchi?” Olivia laughed at her roommate who sat next to Sasha on the couch

“So Evelyn I’m anxious to know about your new job?” Kangin made himself comfortable

“I’m the new intern for my sister. I’m assistant English teacher. Hey I speak fluent Korean and fluent English, of course and I think Lee So Man pitied our crazy situation,”

“I’m surprised the old man hasn’t called yet,” said Sasha

Just as she spoke those words Olivia’s phone ranged. It was their Dad.

“Oh crap,” said Evelyn

“I’m going to answer it and put it on speaker. Ok? Absolute silence guys,” she put the phone on speaker, not sure what she was getting herself into

“Olivia,” her Dad was stern on the phone Kangin actually got nervous

“Hey Daddy. It’s so good to hear from you. How are things?”

“They would fine if I could find your sister,”

“Which sister?”

“Oh don’t play blond with me. You know exactly which sister I’m talking about. You’re hardheaded Evelyn,”

“Oh Dad you make her sound like she’s 12. What has she done now,” she looked at a nervous Evelyn

“Disappeared,”

“What?” she tried to sound concern, “OMG what happened Dad?”

“I don’t know,”

“What did you do to her which is more the question?”

“The only thing I ever do for my girls. I’m being a father who wants his girls happy and married with a loving husband and family,”

“Daddy she’s too young to get married. She just graduated from college with no job which and tons of school loans…”

“Please she has only a $5,000 loan she got for school because the rest were grants. She needs to take responsibility of her life and I don’t want her fiddling around with other nonsense when she has to secure her future,”

“Daddy you make her sound like a soldier which she’s not. She’s your youngest daughter who’s young and vibrant and ready to live her own life, not be somebody’s wife. And wherever she is I hope she’s having fun,”

“You will tell me if she contacts you,”

“Is that an order or are you asking?” she was mad at the way her father was talking about how Evelyn should run her life

“An order,”

“I’m sorry Daddy. I can’t do that,”

“Olivia Renee Williams you will obey me,”

“What? All the way from Korea, right Daddy. Keep living in your little fantasy world where everyone follows your orders and does anything you say. Look Vivian and Adele may be your golden girls because they don’t have a backbone or fight in them but I will not bow to your whim and I’m sure Evelyn feels the same way,”

“You’re so like your mother. Why can’t you see what I’m doing for you girls is for the best. Don’t make me have to send my private investigators up there to look for her in Korea. You better not be lying to me,”

Kangin couldn’t really understand the conversation but from the look of Olivia’s face it wasn’t going good.

“You are unbelievable. I can’t believe you would actually do that? It’s wrong. We should be able to decide who we want to be with; regardless of race or education background,”

“Well I know for a fact a Korean man won’t want a black woman,”

Kangin heard the word Korean and he looked at Olivia with a surprised look on his face

“You’re wrong,”

“Don’t tell me you’re with a Korean man?”

Olivia quickly looked at Kangin. He was taking English classes for a surprised for Olivia. One day when he met her family he wanted to communicate with them. He wanted to communicate with her father. If her father knew how serious he was about their relationship maybe he would seek reason. So when her father asked her was she with a Korean man, he actually understood him but Olivia didn’t know Kangin did.

“No Daddy,” Kangin’s face fell and he got mad

Rachel, Sungkyung, Sasha and Evelyn were all shocked. Evelyn knew why she lied but she just hoped Kangin couldn’t understand English but telling from his face she had a feeling he could understand.

“Good so all I have to deal with is 1 defiant daughter. Well I have to go. Love you,” he hung up the phone

Olivia looked at Kangin and saw his angry face.

“Babe,”

“I understood what he said and you lied,” he chuckled angrily, “All day I was stressing about your Dad. I couldn’t wrap my head around why he felt the way he felt you know. Because he lives in America, the big melting pot. So he has to deal with people of all races. I mean he’s in the Navy for goodness sakes. But never in my dreams would I never feel like this. Are you ashamed of me that you couldn’t have the balls to stand up to your old man and tell him about us?”

“No I’m not ashamed of you but in case you didn’t understand the rest of the conversation, he said he would bring his private investigators. I’m not talking about little FBI investigators. These guys are hard core military investigators. The kind that tracks down terrorist, do you understand me. Look I don’t him hurting you or your family.

“We can handle it,”

“Babe we have to lay low about our relationship for awhile. Isn’t that what you idols do anyways?”

“Fans are one thing,”

“Um not the stories I hear about your fans,”

“Family is another. They’re your family. They support you. They love you no matter what,”

“That’s nice to have in your family; which is shocking because most Korean families aren’t going to open their arms and accept a black girl,”

“I think Kangin is just shocked that the roles are switched, you know. His family accepted you so it’s natural that your family would accept him. And when he heard your Dad would be against it, he may have thought it would be easy to convince him otherwise. But let me reassure you Oppa, that’s going to be a hard job,” said Rachel

“I just can’t believe you said no,” he looked at her with sad eyes

“What do you want me to do? Call him back and say, “Yes Daddy I’m dating a Korean man?”

“Yes,” he screamed at her

“I’m sorry I can’t do that. You just have to accept that I’m trying to protect you for now,”

“I can’t,”

“I’m sorry then,” she had tears in her eyes as he left with tears in his eyes

 

THE NEXT DAY

 

Olivia had red eyes as she getting the paper together for EXO. Evelyn was in the room writing on the board sentences she had come up with the boys to translate. She kept stealing glances at her sister. She felt so bad for her. Not only does she have to worry about Dad and his private investigators but now Kangin Oppa is mad at her. One day he will appreciate her hiding this from Daddy. He would probably kill the poor boy if he found out. As kids growing up, they would never tell their father bad news when he was already mad. Not that Olivia’s relationship was bad in normal people’s eyes but their Dad was not normal. Kangin didn’t understand but she wished she could explain it to him. She liked Kangin very much especially for her sister.

 

The boys came in the loud and excited.

“Hey Noona,” said Chen

Olivia looked at them and tried to smile. She knew she wouldn’t be able to hide her red crying eyes from them especially Baekhyun so she didn’t try

“Are you ok Noona?” asked Xiumin

“Allergies,” she slowly said as she sat on the desk. Evelyn sat next to her, “I have a surprise for you boys. There’s a new addition to our team. Evelyn, my sister is going to join is for awhile. She’s fluent in Korean and she’s going to help you guys,” she smiled as Kris sat up straighter, “I have to step out for a minute so you guys can ask Evelyn anything you want but when I return be prepared to translate those sentences on the board,” groans were heard form Exo

Olivia hopped off the desk and walked out into the hallway with her phone. She then dialed Kangin’s number for the 15th time since last night.

“Look Oppa I’m sorry. I don’t know what else to say,” she paused, “Look I love you and I would really want to talk to you later tonight. I know I hurt you but I’m not ashamed at all. But you don’t know my Dad and if you really hear me out, you will soon understand why I did what I did. Call me back please,” she hung up and wiped her eyes

“Trouble in paradise already,” he had followed her outside

“Mind your business Baekhyun,” she tried to walk from him but he grabbed her arm and held her in his arms

“He made you cry didn’t he,” he pulled her away from him so he could see her eyes which tears were coming from. He wiped her tears away

“You’re invading my space,” he smirked

“I would never make you cry. Kangin is an idiot,”

“Hey watch it. He’s your hyung. You don’t even know the situation. What if I told you I’m the reason I’m crying because I did a stupid thing,”

“You could never do anything stupid Noona,”

“You don’t know me that well,”

“That’s where you’re wrong,” he pulled her into a hug again

 

Kangin decided to go to SM and talk to Olivia. He had a night to think about this and he thought he may have overreacted but he was still mad she said no so easily. He was going to confront her when he stopped dead in his tracks because he saw the one dongsaeng he semi hated hugging his woman and he was not pleased.

 

There's trouble in paradise!