Apologies and Promises

Mrs. Kim

The next morning Kangin woke up to the smell of breakfast cooking in the kitchen. While still in his PJs and with his hair disheveled he walked out into the kitchen to find Sungmin and Ryewook cooking.

“You guys shouldn’t have,” Kangin smiled

“We are doing this for everyone. We need to have a team meeting. We figured if we fed you guys there would be less screaming,” said Ryewook

“Good luck with that,” he was first to get his plate and started eating

Soon Kyuhyun, Siwon, Shindong and Donghae joined him. They were laughing and enjoying the meal when Eunhyuk, Yesung and finally Leeteuk joined them. Kangin and Leeteuk didn’t acknowledge each other and that’s what the boys wanted to talk about. Once they had finished their meal and cleaned the kitchen the men gathered in the huge family room to have their meeting.

“We have called this meeting because we need to let some things out in the open. If there is anything you would like to get off your chest, say it now,” there was silence for a few minutes until Kangin decided to share his big news

“Well I have something to say,”

“Yes hyung?” said Ryewook

“It is official. Olivia and I are a couple,”

There was utter shock and aw that covered the atmosphere of the room. Some members’ faces were unreadable while others were confused and somewhat angry.

“Don’t everyone speak at once,” Kangin said

“Well I have something to say,” said Leeteuk, “I totally disapprove of this relationship and I feel you need to end it right now,”

“Screw you,” he quickly got into his face

Kyuhyun and Siwon broke them apart.

“Everyone is entitled to their opinion but can we say something positive about this? I think hyung would like some encouraging words since this is going to be a difficult…” Leeteuk cut off Ryewook

“Yes it will be difficult and instead of dragging Olivia through with what will be such a bad idea in the first place…” this time Kangin cut him off

“Bad for whom? You? You’re going to the army soon so it won’t matter. I’m not ending things with her. I won’t. Anyone else object, just tell me now,” he sat down in defeat. He was worried the other members would side with Leeteuk. He was gone for two years and even though they loved Kangin he knew his reasons for going to the army were because of the mistakes he made in the past. He had to receive forgiveness from them, the fans and the public and he had. But now when he finally had something good in his life he was afraid it would be shot to hell by the people who mattered to him most.

“I somewhat object,” said Shindong

“Really?”

“But not with the reason you think. I met Olivia the other day and I truly like her. She’s charming and funny and very beautiful. You know how to pick them but my only concern is safety for the both of you. If word ever got out that you were dating, yes I’m going to say it because believe it or not people care but if word got out that you were dating a foreigner and not just any foreigner but a black girl; I don’t believe people would take that so lightly. While I want you to be happy with whomever you choose I also want you to protect her and be smart,”

“Thanks man. That means a lot,”

“So I’m the only one who opposes?” sighed Leeteuk

“Looks that way,”

“I still think it’s a bad idea,”

“You don’t even know her. Do you know how embarrassing you were the other day? And the funny thing is Olivia was worried about you. I called you a racist but she insists that you’re not. She says you are only worried about your members and you want the best for us. Is that an awesome girl or what? You disrespect her to her face and she still refuses to hate you,”

“I will admit that wasn’t my brightest moment,” he started feeling really ashamed of his behavior towards the both of them

“No it wasn’t and you need to truly apologize to her. I mean it. Before you think of becoming close with me again you had better apologize to her and before you go away,”

“Well I’m going to apologize right now. I’ve been selfish and not understanding. She is right. I do and am worried about you guys but you’re adults and even though it’s my duty to guide you, I think you can make your own decisions. I don’t know what came over me but I’m truly sorry. I want the best for you Young woon and I was just scared but I hope we can start anew,”

“Call her now,”

 

Olivia’s phone started ringing. It was a unknown number which she normally wouldn’t pick up but something was telling her to do it.

“Hello,”

“Olivia?”

“Leeteuk Oppa? It’s so early. Is something wrong?”

“Yes. There is something very wrong. Me,”

“I don’t understand. Is there anything I can do for you,” Olivia was raised to forgive people quickly. No sense on living a miserable life being mad at people

“Wow even after I treated you horribly you want to help me,”

“Well Young woon Oppa tells me how close you two are and since we are close I figured if there was ever a problem Young woon Oppa would want me to help you,”

Leeteuk instantly started crying which shocked the boys and Olivia as well.

“Forgive me. Honestly I being heartless and a jerk. I meant to make you feel bad because I was hurting. I was being insecure and I’m truly sorry for that. I now see what Young woon sees in you and I understand why he refuses to give you up. Please I hope after this we can get to know one another and move forward to build a good relationship. I really want that,” Olivia was smiling on the other end of the phone

“Of course Oppa. I want that too,”

“Ok well I have to go but I hope to see you before I leave for the army,”

“Of course Oppa. Have a good day,”

“You too,” he hung up as he wiped his tears. As he handed the phone to Young woon, Young woon gave him a big bear hug. All was right in the world.

 

Later that day Olivia had a free afternoon so she ventured to her favorite spot near the Han River. She decided she would write up some lesson plans for the boys. They were coming along wonderfully and she wanted to challenge them. Suddenly she felt a person next to her.

“Is it safe for a beautiful woman to be out here by herself?”

“It’s light out Oppa,” she took one look at him and smiled, “Nice hoodie and shades; hiding from someone?” she laughed

“Yes, try everyone,” he laughed as turned slightly to face her

“So did you tie Leeteuk’s Oppa’s hand behind his back for him to give me such a heartfelt apology?”

“No I told him the truth about how selfish he was being and disrespectful he was to you. He finally got the message,”

“So you didn’t threaten to beat him up?”

“No,” he playfully rolled his eyes, “All the guys approve,”

“Well that’s good to hear but the question is would your parents approve?”

“I think they will,”

“Well I haven’t met your Grandmother yet,”

“She’ll love you,”

“How do you know?”

“Because Eun Bi hasn’t stop talking about you to her and she is finally able to meet you. Is tonight good?”

“Really, oh now I’m nervous,”

“You’ll do fine,” he looked at her, “I’m curious about something though,”

“Yes,” she was writing in her notebook

“You’re so worried about my parents, what about yours. Would they approve of me,” she stopped writing and smiled

“My mother, she is all for it. She is very open minded, loving, all that great mother stuff,”

“But…”

“My father is different story. He’s very close minded. I’m sure he was different in his younger years but now that he’s older and more senile, he’s very…” she was trying to think of the proper way to describe her father and since she was having a difficult time doing that Kangin got worried and his heart dropped a bit, “Oppa I don’t want to you worry. My father pretty much does with my mother says. He may cause you grief and frustration but if you hold your ground and man up to him, he can’t do nothing but respect you. Plus we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,”

“So you actually think we’ll make it that far for me to meet your parents?” he was thrill

“Yea I think you’re worth it. Plus my little sister loves you already. I told her last night to Google your picture and you turned her into putty. She was gushing and in just plain bliss,” she laughed

“Well I’m glad and about tonight. Don’t worry. Just be your sweet self,”

 

SKIP TO TONIGHT

“Oh wow you are so beautiful,” Kangin’s grandmother Hae Sung was so close to Olivia on the couch she was practically on her lap

“Oh thank you,” Olivia was blushing. She was surprised of how Hae Sung pounced on her the minute she entered the house hand in hand with Kangin

“And you have good taste. My Young woon is a catch, isn’t he?”

“Yes he is,” she blushed again

“You guys do it yet?” she whispered to her but Eun Jung heard her mother

“Mom! You can’t ask her that. I’m sorry Olivia,”

“Oh it’s fine,”

“See you hear that,” Hae Sung pulled Olivia to stand up, “Wow look at those hips,” she placed her hands on Olivia’s hips and with great fascination rubbed them, “And your are so perky,” she grabbed her , “My Young woon likes them perky,” Olivia was totally shocked but not appalled for some reason

“Grandmother, stop,” Kangin pushed her hands away

“What? If she’s going to marry you, I have to see if she passed the test. She looks as if she could carry my future grandchildren,”

“Mother you’re thinking too far ahead. They are just friends,” Eun Jung was setting the table

“With benefits?”

“WHAT?”

“Well they were holding hands when they came in or did you miss that?” she eyed her daughter and Eun Jung looked at the both of them

“Mom we have something we want to tell you,” said Kangin with a grin

Eun Jung’s heart dropped suddenly but she put on a brave face for her son. He was her only child and she has been always proud of him. In the past there were major challenges but they got through them together as a family. She knew what great challenges that were going to present it to this new age couple. She just hoped they were ready for them.

When Jang woo and Eun bi arrived for dinner Kangin and Olivia announced they were a couple and everyone was thrilled. Eun Jung did voice her concerns of course but she still excited. Kangin had never really brought a lovely girl home so this was great. She adored Olivia and was willing to do anything in her power to protect her.

Eun Bi was happy as well. She always wanted an “older sister”

“Unnie you don’t know how happy I am,”

“Me too. I can tell we are going to be great friends and if you need anything at all don’t be afraid to ask,”

“It’s funny you should say this because I do need a favor,” she smiled at Olivia

 

Later that night Kangin and Olivia were in the backyard enjoying each other. They were both cuddling on the lounge chair looking at stars.

“I adore your cousin. She’s such a crusader. I don’t know how much help I’m going to be with her proposal to her principle about starting CPR classes at the school,”

“Trust me, you’re still famous for saving my Grandmother,” he kissed her cheek

“Who is a trip by the way. I can’t believe your Grandmother felt me up,” she laughed

“She got to do it before I did,” he tickled her

“Stop Oppa,” she looked up and kissed his lips

Kangin looked deeply in her eyes and slowly but gently lowered his lips to hers.

“I promise to protect you and shower you with gifts and free vacation trips and jewelry and…” he was teasing her

“Don’t get carried away Oppa. All I want is you to adore me and shower me with love,”

“I think I can do that,” he kissed her one more time before he held her in his arms, enjoying the new bliss they were both feeling