My Valentine

Promises, Promises

Narrator's POV

Kyungmi was hurriedly running through the halls of Lee Soo Man High School, trying to catch her breath as she went along. She had arrived late to school... again. Lately, she had been arriving late, due to her pulling off all-nighters or came close to, at least. Her best friend, Cho Kyuhyun, had been keeping her up on webcam while playing his precious Star Craft into the night. As much as he loved the game, he hated staying up all night by himself, so, naturally, he would call her up.

But, in truth, last night, Kyuhyun didn't call Kyungmi.  And she was glad for it too. Last night, Kyungmi was actually preparing for today. Kyungmi couldn't exactly bake. Heck, she didn't know how to bake, period.

Nevertheless, Kyungmi was up at 1:00 A.M., last night to bake cookies and make home-made chocolates for her 'valentine'.  Well, for Kyuhyun. It's not like they were going out or anything, or did she plan on confessing to having this eternal, undying love for him (which she didn’t have, really!). It was just this sort of tradition they had. They did this every year; February 14 and March 14, they would give each other candies and chocolates, since 6th grade.

*FLASHBACK*

-Five Years Ago, Valentine's Day-

Your POV

Ding Dong.

Ugh...

Ding Dong.

Meh...

Ding Dong Ding Dong.

Grrrrrr.

RING DING DONG RING DING DONG DIGGI DING DING DIGGI DING DING DING!!!

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!! CAN'T THEY TAKE A HINT?!?! SERIOUSLY, WHOEVER IS AT THE DOOR RIGHT NOW WI-

"Kyuhyun?" I asked, confused.

Well, even if he is my neighbor, I had a reason to be surprised. He was supposed to be bedridden with a very horrible fever and cough today. And every Valentine's Day. I quickly recovered and added a snappy, “What do you want?"

He gasped and feigned a shocked, hurt expression, and replies,"Is that any way to speak to your best friend?" I scoff, and his features relax to that smirk he wears so often.

"So, Kyungmi, how was your Valentine's Day?" he asked, letting himself in.

I rolled my eyes, and shut the door. There's no use in trying to get rid of Cho Kyuhyun, even if you know you'll become pissed off with his presence. Yeah, yeah, he's my best friend. And he is the most annoying best friend a girl could ever ask for. What more could I want, right? Tch, yeah. Right.

"Yah. How do you think it went?" I grumbled.

Okay, so you probably guessed by now that I didn't have the best of Valentine's Days. It's not like I'm still in elementary, where people just hand you a valentine, and you go home with a shoebox full of candy. No... We had to 'mature', and move on to this stupid stage where you only give valentines to the person you 'love'.

So, what if I went along with it today? It's still stupid... Fine, fine!! I'm only acting like this because I was rejected! Ugh. What a jerk. He didn't even take the chocolates, which now sat on the dining room, all lonesome and uneaten...

Kyuhyun just chuckled, and picked up the chocolates. He chuckld. Grr... I hate him. "At least I didn't chicken out, and just sit at home all day."

He glanced up at me, as he carefully chose a chocolate, and poped it in his mouth. His eyes widened, and he starts choking and hacking up a cough so bad that I would believe he was actually sick today. He runs to the sink, and spits out the chocolates, making dramatic sputtering noises.

I rolled my eyes, and promptly glared at him. He grabbed his neck, and ‘gasped’ for air. The corner of my mouth slightly turned up; I just couldn't help smiling when I looked at him, pretend dying. He glanced up, and grinned, seeing that he got me. Then his face goes sort of serious, and he slowly approached me.

I looked at him questioningly, and he looked me in the eyes. I stared into his smoldering orbs. Wait a sec, smoldering orbs? Stop kidding yourself Kyungmi, it's just Kyuhyun. "Umm, Kyungmi, since it is Valentine's Day, and all... and seeing as to how we are both not in possession of a valentine..."

OH MY GAAAWWD! He's not actually...? Ha, he's probably just messing with you. But look at his face! No! Don't fall for it! "Would you be my valentine?" Kyuhyun asked, and immediately looked down to try and cover his obviously red face.

Then, I grinned, grabbed his hand, and ran out the door, grabbing my purse in the process. What's the harm, right? It's only a day anyways, so might as well have some fun. "I'll take that as yes?" he laughed, as we sat down at the ice cream shop that was filled with all these couples, secretly making out in their booths.

Well, not so secretly. I looked at him, and we ended up having a staring contest, filled with an awkward silence. I finally ask, "Don't you know it's Valentine’s Day?"

He looked at me, and said, "Yeah, what about it? Didn't I just ask you to be my valentine?"

I sighed, and shook my head, "Idiot... The girl is supposed to ask theguy to be her valentine! If you want to ask the girl, you have to wait 'til White Day, which is next month."

"Oh... Right... But it's not like you were going to ask me…"

"Hmm... Touché…"

So, we spent the rest of Valentine's Day together, and somehow, we ended up at the park under the stars. The stars tonight seemed especially beautiful, each unique and shining in their own way. Today was really fun, but I would never tell that to anyone, because to anyone else it would seem really lame. All we did after we finished our ice cream was walk in the streets, talking, and basically just went window-shopping. But in truth, I had the time of my life when I was with Kyuhyun, no matter where.

Okay, to any other person it would seem like I'm toatally in love with Kyu. But I'm not! Really, he's my best friend, and there's no way I'd fall for that dork anyways! That's the only reason I like being with him so much! He's been my best friend since 2nd grade, so it’s only natural that I feel comfortable around him, right?

So, anyways, there we were sitting on the grass looking at the stars. Suddenly, Kyu speaks up, and breaks the peaceful silence, "We should do this every year."

"What? You plan on star-gazing only once a year?" I asked, amused.

He rolled his eyes openly at me, and said, "Noo… we should be each other's valentines each year."

"But what if we find someone to actually be our valentine next year?" I questioned.

I looked up at him, and then we burst out laughing. We end up doubled over, grabbing our stomachs.

"Woo…That was a good one, Kyungmi," Kyuhyun gasped, as he wiped away a nonexistent tear.

"But I was serious!!" I said, my voice following the gentle breeze deeper into the park.

"Oh, well then, for them, since we already have one."

I sighed. "Are you for real?"

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Are you questioning my authority?"

See? A complete dork. I thought about it. Huh. Nobody's probably going to want to be our valentines, anyways, so why not? "Sure, I guess we can do that."

"Okay, good. But you have to swear on it." He eagerly holds out an expectant pinky.

"Tch. You've got to be kidding me," I scoffed, "What are you, eight?"

"Yah! It's either this or we spit on our hands, and shake on it."

AWW, GROSS. "Okay, fine, fine." I wrap my pinky around his, and we pull down until our thumbs connect at the top.

I guess this is a good thing. I won't have to be all alone on Valentine's Day, anymore. And there will be someone to give me chocolates on White Day. Now that I think about it, this was a pretty good plan. I guess SweeyKyu really does exist.

*END OF FLASHBACK*


(A/N): So how was it? I'm really nervous.. But please comment!! Anyone! [And I know that the end of this chapter , but I'll be sure to post the next chapter soon!]