"..what's in the box?"

This Little Cafe

 Chen 

 "..what's in the box?"

 

________________________________________

 

The next day, business was usual. Joonmyeon opened the cafe and, as always, Yui came to keep him company. But today was different..

"Ahjusshi! I told my best friend to come to the cafe. I hope that's alright with you."

"Oh, of course it is!" Joonmyeon smiled. "I love having people over!"

Yui giggled as she sipped her hot chocolate. "Yay, goodie! She's bringing her oppa with her too! Maybe you can help him with his love problems as well!"

"Well," Joonmyeon said as he wiped the whip cream off of Yui's face, "Let's hope I can!"

--

*ding ding* Two customers have arrived.

--

Joonmyeon looked over Yui's head as Yui spun around in her chair at the bar. There stood a fairly tall boy with a distinct jawline. His arm was held onto by a little girl, who seemed much younger than Yui. The girl had big and rich brown eyes that, as the rest of the body was, hid behind the older boy's body. Yui squealed with excitement as she jumped from her seat and attacked her friend with a hug. "Hi, Hyunnie!" Yui exclaimed.

The older boy slipped his arm out of Hyunnie's grip as she slowly hugged Yui. "Hi," she replied quietly. Yui grabbed her friend hand and walked her up to Joonmyeon. "Ahjusshi, this is my best friend, Hyunnie!" Yui introduced. Hyunnie gave Joonmyeon a warm smile and bowed.

"It's nice to meet you, Hyunnie!" Joonmyeon said returning the bow. "Welcome to the Love Cafe!"

Yui turned her head to the older boy. "You should talk to Ahjusshi about your love problems while me and Hyunnie go to a table and eat cake," she then lead her friend to a booth near the big window on the right to people watch.

The older boy turned his head to Joonmyeon. "My.. Love problems?"

"She didn't even tell me to prepare a slice of cake for them," Joonmyeon added. Both of the guys laughed. "You can sit down while I get cake for the girls," he said as he went to the back to get to the fridge where he stored the cake.

The boy nodded as Joonmyeon left. Meanwhile, the boy pulled something out from his pocket. It was a box. A small royal blue box covered in velvet. He moved the small box in his hands and sighed. Just then, Joonmyeon popped from the back with two plates with cake on them."I hope they don't mind eating leftover wedding cake," Joonmyeon said to himself. "I can't let my beautiful creations go to waste.."

"Wedding..." the boy muttered to himself.

"Chen oppa!" Hyunnie shouted. The boy turned around. "Are you gonna get cake as good as this when you marry Yezi unnie?"

The boy blushed. "YAH!" he screamed back as the little girls giggled and continued eating their cake. 

"So..who's this Yezi, Chen?" a voice asked from behind the boys back. The boy jumped from surprise and turned his head to see Joonmyeon back behind the counter.

"Um.. She's my girlfriend," Chen replied.

"Oh," Joonmyeon responded as he leaned his arm on the counter. "Do you mind telling me about her? I'd love to hear your story and how you guys met."

--

"You know she likes you too, right?" his friend simply said. This caused Chen to spit out the water he was drinking and choke a little. "Don't be surprised! Isn't it obvious?"

"She doesn't like me, though. I know she doesn't.." Chen said calming down and wiping his mouth.

His other friend hit Chen on his back. "Oh, shuttup!" his other friend exclaimed. "You guys have been friends since like forever, and both of you don't realize how much you like each other."

"But she doesn-"

"DUDE, IF YOU DON'T GO UP TO HER RIGHT NOW AND TELL HER YOU LOVE HER, I WILL STAND UP ON THIS TABLE AND TELL THE WHOLE CAFETERIA ABOUT IT."

"Okay! Okay! Don't take it that far!" Chen grabbed his friend's shoulder trying to calm him down.

"Sorry, about that," his friend said calming down. "I'm just saying, you should get her before someone else does." Chen looked leaned his elbows on the table, letting his face rest in the palm of his hands. He let out a big sigh. "You shouldn't worry so much," he friend assured him. "Dude, you'll never know what'll happen unless you try.

"Alright, fine. I'll do it. After school. Today.." Chen proclaimed.

-

"Um, hey Yezi?" Chen asked behind Yezi's opened locker. She closed the door and smiled when she saw Chen standing there. "Do you have a sec?"

"Of course, Chen. What's up?" She responded. They both started walking out of school together catching up on how their day was, which was a daily routine. Chen would always catch Yezi up at her locker and he would walk her home, fearing that something bad might happen to her. Everyone knew how much they cared for each other, except themselves. Neither of them knew their feelings for each other. But today was going to be different. Chen was going to confess.

They took the long way home, walking through the park which was close by. They walked side by side, not saying a word to each other.

"Yezi?" Chen asked again. She looked at him, which made Chen blush. He's known Yezi for a while, but after he realized his feelings for her, every little thing she did made him blush or his heart pound rapidly. He couldn't help it. "Um, can I tell you something?"

"Sure!" she replied. "Can I tell you something as well?"

"Oh," Chen dumbfoundedly said. "Sure?"

"Okay.."

"I LIKE YOU," They said in unison. They both looked at each other in shock, both covering their mouths with dialated eyes. 

"What?" They questioned in unison. "How-"

They both laughed at how syncronized their speech was. "So the guys were right about your feelings towards me," Chen chuckled.

"Well of course, I told them about it," Yezi confessed. Chen looked at her even more surprised. "I've been feeling this way for a while, Chen.."

"Why didn't you say anything earlier?" he asked.

"Why didn't YOU?" she asked back.

"Well.. I.. I don't know. I think I was scared because I didn't want to lose a friend."

"See?" she giggled. "I felt the same way. But the guys said to confess to you now before somebody else steals your heart."

"THAT'S WHAT THEY TOLD ME!" Chen exclaimed.

"So it's their faults.." Yezi muttered. They both let out a small chuckle.

"And besides, you stole my heart from the moment I met you," Chen cooed.

"Oh shush!" Yezi blushed, lightly hitting Chen's shoulder. 

"So, Yezi, I have something to ask you?"

"And what would that be?"

"Would you be my gir-" Suddenly Chen was interrupted by a tight hug around his waist. 

"Of course, I will," she smiled muttering into his chest.

--

"Wow, that's amazing.." Joonmyeon said in amazement. 

"I know right? And look at us now. We've been dating for five years, and I love every moment I spend with her."

"And I'm guessing Hyunnie over there likes her too?" 

"Are you kidding? She's like a sister to Hyunnie. Since my sister's a bit shy, she can be difficult to talk to, but Yezi certainly didn't find it challenging."

Joonmyeon saw the sincere love Chen emitted from his story and body language. "So, Chen, what's in the box?"

"Oh, um.. y'know.. just a.. ring." He muttered playing with the small thing.

"May I see it?" Joonmyeon asked. Chen nodded and slowly handed the box over. Joonmyeon examined the box from the outside, yet he didn't open it.

"Um, Mr.."

"Suho," Joonmyeon replied.

"Mr. Suho, um, if I may ask, why aren't you opening the box?"

"Well, Chen, why haven't you asked her to marry you yet?"

Chen felt something heavy inside of him fall, causing him to bang his head on the table. "Because I'm so scared," he loudly said on the counter.

Joonmyeon examined the box again. "Well, it's not like she can reject you.."

"I know that!" Chen scoffed. "But.. I just.. I-"

"You don't know whether it's the right time or not?" Joonmyeon interrupted.

Chen sat there is shock and nodded. It was as if the man behind the counter was reading his thoughts.

"You'll never know what'll happen unless you try, Chen," Joonmyeon said. "Your friend may have told you that years ago, but it still applies today. You really have nothing to lose. If she says yes, BOOM, a big celebration. If she says not yet, then you know she's not ready yet."

"BUT I'M READY TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH HER AND I WANT HER TO FEEL THE SAME WAY SO WE CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER!" Chen shouted.

"Chen, calm down!" Joonmyeon held the boy down with two hands on Chen's shoulders. Chen took a deep breath and simmered down. "I hope you're not like this around her," Joonmyeon joked.

"Oh, Chen oppa's such a good boyfriend to Yezi unnie," a little voice said next to Chen. Both of their heads turned to see Hyunnie standing next to Chen peeking over the counter top. "Hi, Ahjusshi! I finished the cake. It was very yummy!" She placed the empty plate with a few crumbs left on the counter and pushed it towards Joonmyeon. Hyunnie turned to look at Chen with her arms reaching towards him. Chen then carried Hyunnie up and placed her on his lap. "But yah, Ahjusshi, Oppa treats Unnie very well."

"Oh really?" Joonmyeon said with a smirk as he quickly glanced at Chen whos face was hiding behind Hyunnie. "What does your oppa do?"

"Well.. He always takes her out to eat somewhere fancy. Last week, Unnie came to our house wearing a really pretty white dress. It looked really nice on her and then Oppa came down from the stairs and he had a really big smile on his face when he saw her. He kissed her cheek and held her hand and then they both said goodbye to me. And there was this other time that they both treated me out for ice cream when we went for a walk in the park. Oppa always led Unnie down some stairs to make sure she wouldn't trip and he had an umbrella with him just in case it rains because he doesn't like it when she's wet. Oppa's a good boyfriend."

Joonmyeon tried to look past Hyunnie to see Chen still trying to hide behind his little sister. "Chen.. You're a good boy." Joonmyeon chuckled lightly.

"Hyunnie, why don't you go back to Yui? She seems lonely right now.." Chen suggested.

"You could have just telled me if I'm embarassing you in front of Ahjusshi.." Hyunnie kissed her brother's cheek and slid off the his lap to return to her friend.

"She's smart.." Joonmyeon observed.

"She's almost like a mini Yezi.." Chen added.

Joonmyeon looked at how he smiled when Chen said his girlfriend's name. He could see how much he cared and loved Yezi, just from the stories being told today. "Chen, I have an offer for you," He stated.

"Um, okay?"

"I'll help you with the proposal. You can do it in the cafe. I'll clear out the whole place, I'll decorate it, I'll serve whatever food you want me to, I"ll invite anyone you want."

"Oh really? Suho, you don't know how much that would mean to me. I-"

"You just have to propose to her tonight." Joonmyeon added.

Chen's face turned blank. "Um.. Well.. I mean I could just find a nice little restaurant down the street and-"

"CHEN!" Joonmyeon barked.

"ALRIGHT! I'll do it!" Chen responded.

"Good. Call her right now and tell her you want to have dinner here at 8pm."

"RIGHT NOW?"

Joonmyeon nodded. Chen sighed and whipped out his phone. He pushed the '1' button, since Yezi is first on his speed dial. He put the phone to his ear as he leaned his elbow on the counter nervously.

-

"Hello?" Yezi's voice answered.

"Jagiya?" Chen asked.

"Ah! Yeobo! I'm pretty busy right now, is everything alright?"

"Oh, yes everything's fine. Um.. I was wondering if we could have dinner at a new place tonight?"

"That sounds fun! Where is it?"

"Um.. The Love Cafe? I'll give you the location later. Meet here at 8pm?"

"Sounds good! I'll see you there at 8!'

"Alright! Love you! Bye!"

"Love you too, yeobo! Bye~"
 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» [[Yes, THERE IS A CHEN PART 2. I LOVE MAKING YALL WAIT OBVIOUSLY. MWHAHAAH]]

» [[Omg, I haven't updated in a whole month please don't hate me yall ;A; It was my birthday yesterday anyways so WHOO! ;ALSDlashga;lsdjf I'm seriously sorry though, school and I just alshd;falsjfd okay. Expect more updates pelase and thank you!]]