05

Of Desires and Dreams

 

Chapter 5:

 

Yoona woke up the next day feeling like she'd forgotten something. She got up and got ready for school, did everything she normally did, but none of those removed the feeling of a missing something.

"Morning, Sis," Kai greeted.

Today, he was already ready for school before he ate breakfast. He was in his uniform, all awake and ready, and she wondered why.

"Nothing," he replied. "I just thought of a little change."

"Had I said that out loud?" she asked.

He nodded, chomping on a sandwich. "Is something up?"

"No, I feel like I just forgot something," she replied.

"You forgot to text Seohyun?" he suggested.

"No, I-" she said. "Ah! I didn't dream last night."

"Eh?"

"Recently, I've been having dreams," she explained. "Now I remember what's missing. It's that."

"Oh. What've you been dreaming of?" he asked.

"Nothing much. Just that I keep going to gardens. Pretty gardens."

"Cool," was all he said, before chugging down his milk and running up to his room to retrieve his things and brush his teeth. He knew Yoona would tell him if she wanted to; he'd learned not to pry, it just tore them apart. He'd only wheedle if it was important. Really important.

The day passed by uneventfully, at least until the boys came over.

"One more day, Baekhyun! One more day. Aren't you excited?" Sehun asked.

"You're leaving tomorrow?" Yoona asked. She was a bit surprised to find out. She knew he was going to China, she just didn't know it was that soon. It's only been roughly two months since he'd gotten the letter.

"Yeah, but I'm probably going to come back in a week," he said. "It's just the preliminaries. In that one week, all the contestants are to going to spar and losers will get eliminated. That's going to leave about 50 contestants. Then we've got time until sem break to practice the more artistic moves. You know, make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. That would leave 10. Those 10 martial artists will get the chance for a scholarship in any of the martial arts schools there, if you catch the eye of the professors."

"That sounds brutal," Yoona quipped.

"It's not," Baekhyun assured her. "No one's going to get hurt. Think of it like auditions. First round is cut-throat. It's best to be as clear as possible at presenting your strengths. The succeeding rounds, you've got to show them how much you can grow."

"How long will you stay there if you get accepted in the last round?" Suho asked.

Baekhyun thought for a bit. "I don't know. I think next summer, if I make it, I'd have to go to China and spend the summer training there. Then, if they really want me, they'd give me a scholarship. Though if they're going to give me a scholarship for college or high school, I'm not sure."

"But you're already a third year student," Minseok said. "That'd be unfair if it's high school, you know? After all the hard work."

"Or they could give me a college scholarship. For a double major. I don't know, though. It depends, really. But at most, I'd be likely to spend my college years there if I impress them enough," he said. There was an edge in his voice, and they all knew he wasn't sure of himself at this point.

"You can do it!" Kai encouraged. "They're blind if they don't you've got what it takes."

"Kai's right," Yoona agreed resolutely. "You'd definitely pass."

"But you forget. Some of the kids there might be from there. They'd be likely to have an edge," he said.

"Nonsense," Suho began. "Just 'cause they're natives doesn't mean they can get cocky, 'Hyun. You can do it, we believe in you. Show them what Koreans can do!"

"Thanks guys, but I just don't want to have my hopes up for nothing, you know?"

"But it's not good to be too negative either," Kyungsoo reminded.

 

~°~

 

"Hello, Yoona," a voice greeted her even before she could open her eyes.

Today was different. She wasn't immediately awake, unlike the other times. Today, she transitioned into this place through sleep. However, even with her eyes closed, she knew that voice. It was a voice that she'd come to know, and she'd come to appreciate.

"Hello, Lu Han," she replied.

That was their routine. Yoona, for some reason, loved routines, and Lu Han appeared to recognize this. He had a routine for saying goodbye to her, it was by telling her that the morning had come. But now, they had a routine of saying 'hello' as well.

"I missed you yesterday," he said as he sat down beside her. If she always woke up there, as if glued there, he always arrived here by walking. She didn't know how he left, she had yet to see him do so.

"I wasn't able to come. I don't know why," she said.

"There's nothing we can do about that," he shrugged. "I don't know how you come here, either."

"How do you come here?" she asked.

"I go to sleep thinking of the river," he said. "And I always find myself here. Well, actually, in the forest, but always in earshot of the river."

"So there's something more?" she asked.

"Of course there's something more. There's always something more to things you can never buy," he said. "It's only the things that have a price tag that have obvious limits. The natural world always finds a way to surprise you, no matter what. That's how Heaven designed it."

"Do you think I can see?"

"You can, if you wanted to. But that depends on the river if it allows you."

"The river?" she asked.

"You seem pretty attached to the river. Do you think you can leave it for a bit? I never meant that the river has a supernatural hold on you, I just meant your heart's attachment to it."

"I think. The river is lovely, and for some reason, I never get sick of it, but I think I'm ready to see something a little different," she said.

"If you say so."

Lu Han stood up and brushed his pants and offered a hand to Yoona, which she gratefully took. It was the first time she'd ever held his hand, and she found it soft for the most part, especially his palm, yet calloused in some parts, particularly his fingers.

"Follow me," he said, holding her hand and leading the way into the forest.

The forest hides the river, and the river gives life to the forest. The forest is b with life. Its flora is diverse, colourful plants bloom here and there, though not necessarily everywhere. The trees are broad and tall, their leaves give so much shade that there was barely enough light to encourage growth near the forest floor, yet there was life.

Here and there, Yoona could hear the chirping of birds, the crunching of leaves. Even as they moved, the sound of the river remained. She could hear it, and she knew that she would never be lost for she could hear the river, the place where she would come from and she would go to.

The air in the forest was cool, and smelled wonderful. The aroma of flowers, trees and other flora wafted into her nose in the form of a beautiful and delicate scent. It was a scent she was likely to remember for the rest of her life even if she were never to smell it again.

"Do you like it?" Lu Han asked.

"I love it. It's beautiful here," she replied with a beaming smile.

"I'm glad to hear it. It is beautiful, isn't it? That's why I'm always excited for night to come. I get to sleep and see this beauty, experience it everyday, and grow from it. There are just some things that you can have only when there's peace and quietness."

I grow by the serenity that surrounds me, Lu Han thought. And a large part of that serenity comes from the three people that I call my friends. They've always done so much to protect me, not only from outside dangers, but also from myself. Because after all, the scariest enemy is yourself. You're the only one that can really completely destroy yourself.

For some reason, it felt like Yoona could hear his thoughts, for she said, "I guess people really do grow better in serenity, don't they? They become better people and they get to learn to appreciate the people around them. Maybe that's the power of nature."

"Perhaps," he shrugged. "But I don't know either. What I do know is that I'm enjoying this moment."

"Why?"

"Because I'm spending it with someone who has become an important part of my life. Yoona, although you and I only get to meet in dreams, you have become a precious friend to me. If only we could meet in the waking world..."

She smiled at him, entertaining the idea of it.

"It would be nice. Then we can both see what each other's world is really like," she said. She wasn't sure if she was thinking of him as a dream character or as a real person, but she knew her words reflected what she felt at that moment. Truly, she wanted to know more of Lu Han, more of what made him him. She wanted to know, but answers were elusive. She only had these moments with him.

 

~°~

 

"Lu Han," Kris greeted with a smile. He was carrying his bag, still, and his passport was in his hands, but clearly, his smile, which had barely left his face since he arrived in Canada, told Lu Han that his friend's trip was one worth remembering. Perhaps not one full of wonderful adventures, but one full of those happy moments that, no matter how dull they may seem, you just want to keep them in your heart and mind forever.

"I hope you enjoyed your trip," Lu Han said.

"I did, I did, as always."

"How are your parents?" he asked as they walked down the hall. He didn't know that Kris was returning that day, but he just felt the urge to walk in the garden. Now that his friend was back, the garden was once more neglected.

"They're well, thank you," he replied. "But you know what?"

"No, what?"

"I met her. Ms. Joo Seohyun. I met Ms. Yoona's friend while I was there," he said.

They entered his room, which was right across Lu Han's room and near Tao's and Lay's rooms so that they could easily access Lu Han or he could easily access them if needed.

"You did?" he asked, a bit shocked by the revelation.

"Yes, and she was as pleasant as Ms. Yoona made her to be," he said. "It turns out that she is my parents' new neighbour. She and her parents, I mean."

"What a coincidence," he mused. "Heaven really... It's a small world after all."

"Yes. But it is good. They are good neighbours. Though my parents have suggested that they want another child," he commented as the memory came back.

"You do not visit them often enough," Lu Han joked.

"Perhaps. But I hope that it is not because I am a bad son," he said.

"Nonsense! You're a really good son to your parents, and you're working hard for them. Isn't that what good sons do? Do their best for their parents?"

Kris laughed. "I might not be doing well enough."

"Or your parents, your mother especially, misses doting on someone. You are all the way here, how can she dote on you?"

"You make it sound so bad."

"But it is not. Why, don't you want a younger sibling?"

"Then he or she would be old enough to be my own child. It is just weird, but if they wish, and I have told them this, they can go ahead and have another son, or daughter, I don't mind. They raised me well and loved me, I'm sure there's still lots of it where it came from for the new kid, if there will be one," he said.

"Then why not get married and have your own kids and give them to you mother to rear?" Lu Han oddly suggested.

"Are you alright, Lu Han?" Kris asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"You're forgetting we're still too young to have a family of our own; we're just 18," he reminded.

"It was worth a shot," Lu Han shrugged. He playfully shoved Kris' shoulder as they laughed about it. The younger's face was priceless when he'd mentioned marriage.

 

~°~

 

"You have everything?" Jongdae asked. "You know, everything you're going to need while you're there?"

"Yeah, and if I missed anything, I think I can just run to the convenience store or something," Baekhyun replied.

Jongdae had been pestering him about things that he should remember to bring with him, forgetting than whatever it was, he could probably survive without it for the week. Besides, his mother had checked if his things were complete. The guys were, along with his family, sending him off. Today, he was going to China.

"Be careful, okay dear?" his mother reminded, giving him a hug.

"Yes, Mom, I promise," he said with a laugh.

None of them were squirmish of being affectionate with their parents, at least not anymore, unlike their other classmates. Kai's affection towards his parents and his sister was always on display, and he wasn't embarassed of it. (Kai is a member of the varsity team, and he always had that 'cool' image which a lot of the girls in school swooned over, but he always was affectionate to his family members. When he was once asked if he wasn't embarrassed, he simply asked, 'Why would I be embarrassed? That's my Mom.')

"Make us proud, son!" his father said, clapping him on the back.

"Thanks, Dad. I'm glad you're okay with it," he replied.

"Why wouldn't I? You're a -kicking dancer, what's wrong with that? It doesn't affect your grades anyway," his father said with a wink and a laugh.

"You best get going," his mother said after hearing the call for boarding. "Take care, Baekhyun."

"Thanks. Bye, Mom, bye, Dad! Bye guys!" he said.

"Bye, Baekhyun! Take care!" they replied.

"Show them how you kick !" he heard Sehun quip.

He laughed at his friend's comment and nodded his head. "I will, I promise! Wish me luck!"

 

 

A few hours later, Baekhyun arrived in Beijing. There, he met a man named Li Qing Lin. Li was a tall, gangly man clad in a sky blue, long sleeved button up shirt and slacks. Resting on the bridge of his nose were a pair of glasses, black and square-rimmed. He had a shy smile plastered on his face, but a positive energy radiated from him. In his hands were a clipboard and a pen.

"Byun Baekhyun?" he asked, glancing at the clipboard then  at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun nodded. "Yes, I am."

Li extended a hand to him and shook his hand. "I'm Li Qing Lin, but you can call me Li-gege. I'm not really the one assigned to you, but as your team leader is unavailavble today, I must ask you to join my team for the time being."

"Your team?" Baekhyun asked.

"The team that would be coming from the Philippines," he explained.

"I see. I have not met the others from my team," he said.

"I doubt you have," he said with a smile. "The other two are a lot older than you. South Korea sent only three representatives and all of you are male."

"Some teams are mixed?" he asked in shock.

"And some teams are young," Li added with a nod.

Just then, two boys came out of the baggage retrieval area. One was quite tall and well-built. He looked quite formidable, and he was dressed sharply, as though he was prepared to go to a meeting of sorts, while the other looked feminine, really. He looked cute, and reminded Baekhyun of Minseok. He swore that the two could've passed for siblings if they wanted to, the newcomer and Minseok. In contrast to the taller man's sharp attire, he was cald in a laid back fashion, wearing a shirt, jeans and sneakers. His shirt even had a large print on it in the design of a big, smiling sun, and a caption that says, 'Have a good day'.

"Choi Siwon and Lee Sungmin?" Li asked.

The two nodded, and Li proceeded to introduce himself. The tall one, Siwon, spoke Mandarin well, but he had an accent and Sungmin hardly even spoke. Li introduced them to each other and the two of them were really older than him. Siwon was born in '87 while Sungmin was born in '86 and he was born in '92. Both were his hyungs. When they'd gotten introduced, Li beckoned them to follow him, as he still had his own team to fetch.

They arrived at a different area, and there, gathered together was a small group of six people--4 boys and 2 girls. One of the boys stuck out like a sore thumb because he was so much taller than the rest, gangly, like Li, and he was obviously older than them. One of the girls was talking to him, seemingly pestering him, but he replied to her banter amiably, and the whole team seemed quite lively and got along together well.

"Li-laoshi!" one of the boys called. He was thin and dark skinned compared to his groupmates, but he shared so much with them, including the bright, positivity.

"How have you been?" he asked, approaching the team like old friends.

"Finally!" the oldest of the team exclaimed. "Mr. Li, I'm glad you finally came. I'm not part of the competitions, you know."

"Zhoumi wasn't able to come, so I had to pick up his team as well. But you can't leave, you're their chaperone!"

"No, you are. Here, I officially give them to you. Besides, I work to go back to," the other replied, handing Li a clipboard with their information on it. "Take good care of them. Thanks, bye."

Li laughed at the other man, as he received the clipboard. The other man walked and grabbed his bag and got ready to head back into the waiting area.

"You can live by yourself," he stated. The girl he has been talking to had given him a counter argument. "You're not a little kid anymore, now are you?"

He patted his cousin's hair as he said so. Baekhyun could've disagreed since there was nothing little about the girl he was talking to, but then again, the dude was freakishly tall, taller than even Siwon, so it seemed fitting he'd say that.

Li introduced the five members of his team to the members of Zhoumi's (who, as Li had said, was their team head) team. It seemed the five members were of the same age, all born in '94, except for one, who was born in late '93, though in their standards, still pretty much the same age (Chinese standards), and they were all from the same school. None of them were completely Filipino, which baffled the Koreans, since this was an international competition, but then again, they did hold Filipino passports, so they guessed it was okay. They were all previous members of Li's class, who was a Chinese teacher in their school. He informed them that he had plans on returning to their school after this, and they all seemed to look forward to it.

After they got checked in, Li left them alone to attend to some things that needed attending. They all sat down together for dinner that night, if not out of courtesy, then for the sake of forgetting that they were competitors for a bit. That was something they could afford to do.

The '93-'94 kids, as Baekhyun learned, were Martin, called Tin, as the eldest, Bryan, called Bry, the one who called Li, a guy whose name Baekhyun can't pronounce let alone remember, was called Aze, Kristine, called Kris, as the one who had a freakishly tall cousin, and a petite girl named Anne. He swore that Kris was more of  guy's name, and Tin more of a girl's, but they explained they couldn't call the guy Mar or Mart, as both would be very weird in the English language--where one was likened to a scar or a disfigurement of sorts and the other as the other half of a famous store called WalMart--and they couldn't go around calling both of them Tins. So, they had come to a mutual agreement. Besides, in the comic book by Hergé, the lead character was called TinTin, and that made perfect sense.

They also found out why Sungmin and Siwon (who were cousins) joined the competition though they were already graduates of (or in Siwon's case, graduating from) college. The two wanted to further their studies, and they were still under the acceptable age range, which was strictly 25 and below.

Later that night, Li appeared again, and this time, they were introduced to Zhoumi, who was the team head of the team from Korea. Zhoumi could speak Korean, though there was a slight accent, in comparison to Li who spoke English. The two of them looked similar, except Zhoumi was more lively, had his hair dyed a shade of dark red, though it wasn't eye-catching, and didn't wear glasses.

"Nice to meet all of you," Zhoumi said. It turned out that Zhoumi, who had asked to be called Zhou-gege so as not to be confused with Li (he originally preferred Mi), and Li were cousins.

"This is one weird day," Baekhyun muttered to himself just before he went to sleep, and that was the truth.

 

 

A/N: If you're wondering why just last chapter Kris said he was 17 but in this chapter, he reminded Luhan that they were just 18, it's because here, it's his knee-jerk reaction to questions, depending on where he is. In Canada, he uses international age and in China, he uses Chinese age. (Is that how you call it?) :) And I know Seohyun's real name is Seo Joohyun, but for this story, I shall use 'Joo' as the family name and 'Seo' as the first syllable of her name. (Just so it makes more sense. I doubt her parents and friends call her Seohyun in real life since her name's Joohyun.) And I'm sure you all know which among the characters are real people and who are imaginary. This chapter marks the beginning of Baekhyun's larger contribution to the story. ;)