10

Of Desires and Dreams

 

Chapter 10:

 

"So you went to a theme park with your brother and his friends?" Lu Han asked. Yoona had told him all about her little outing with her brother, and he seemed to be entertained by her story.

"Yes. I've never been particularly fond of theme parks before, but I guess it's fun because my brother really made an effort to make it fun. That and his friends are simply great mood makers," she said.

Lu Han nodded. "A lot of things are more fun with friends."

"But I might have enjoyed it more if you were there. Have you ever gone to a theme park?"

He shook his head. "I've always been preoccupied with a number of things, so I don't have the luxury to go to a theme park."

"You should. We should. One day."

"Alright," he said. "I shall make the time for it."

"Thank you," she replied.

Sometimes, it was easy for them to forget that they could never do a lot of things together, given where they were and the distance that was between them in the waking world. Despite that, they still said they wanted to do those things together.

"What's it like having a brother like yours?" he asked. "You tell me a lot of the times you spend with your brother, but I cannot understand how your brother can be like that. It's a conundrum."

"Aren't people like that?" she asked. "They sometimes do things we don't understand, but we end up appreciating those things anyway."

"That is true," he replied, thinking of Kris who was as close to a brother like Kai as he could ever get.

"Don't you have siblings?"

"I have...half-siblings," he replied. "But none of them are quite like your brother, and I rarely ever get to spend time with them."

"Why not?"

"Their mothers have not always looked at my interactions with them with joy. My father says that it is because they are not... How do you say it? They are jealous?"

"Of you? Their mother is jealous of you?"

"No, no. I believe it is that they were jealous of my mother, and that they--those of my generation--are jealous of me? I think... Yes. That was how my father explained it. And it is mothers. Plural."

"Mothers? How many wives does your father have?" she asked in shock.

"One. My mother. She was the only one that my father officially married."

"And the others?"

"They are his concubines. He does not have a harem of sorts, but since there is more than one it is plural, is it not?" he asked.

"...Yes."

He laughed. "The number is not daunting. Three? And from them, I have nine half-siblings: seven younger sisters, two brothers. Spending time together is a rarity. Once a year, at a very formal gathering. There is not much to go by with that."

"It isn't. Do they live separately?"

"You could say so."

He didn't make a move to say anything more, and Yoona could feel his reluctance. She was a bit downcast by the fact that that was a detail he could not share to her freely, but if it was something sensitive, then she could forgive him.

"Having a brother like Kai is amazing," she said, disrupting the silence that had enveloped them. "He's my little brother, we have a four year difference, but sometimes, he's so mature that I wonder who's the older one."

"That's a great brother," he commented.

"He is."

 

~°~

 

"I'm leaving tomorrow," Kris said.

He and Seohyun were sitting in a pizza parlor with a few slices of pizza between them. He had an apologetic look on his face, but he wasn't sorry for needing to go back two days early. He was sorry because he didn't have as much time to spend with her as she wished.

"I understand," she replied, slicing some of the pizza gently. "I just wish we had more time together. This week was so much more fun than any other week I've had since I stepped in this country."

"Is it?" he asked, amused.

"Yeah, and I wished it didn't have to end," she said, poking her pizza absentmindedly. "I wish you could stay here a bit longer."

"A bit longer? How long is that?"

"I don't know," she replied honestly. "I just wished. I can't ask you to stay, but I wish I can see you soon."

"New year?" he suggested. "I'm here during new years and somewhere in the other half of the year to visit my parents. That's about it."

The gears in Seohyun's head were turning, trying to process the information it had just soaked up. "Wait. You're not supposed to be here."

Kris had a smirk on his face as the realization dawned on Seohyun.

"You're supposed to be in China doing your job!"

"Bull's eye," Kris said as he made the motion of firing a gun with his fingers. "But not to worry, it's all covered, so they don't mind. I doubt I should be doing this a lot, though. So think of this as a sort of first and last; I can't afford to do this often. My dear friend needs me."

"But Kris..." Seohyun began. Her face was scrunched as she thought of the implications of his actions.

"Hey, it's nothing. I've been working like that for quite some time that they're kinda happy I'm taking some more time to live," Kris told her as he held her hand. His palms were warm, his hands large, holding her smaller ones gently but firmly, reassuringly. "I promise I won't do this again, Seo, not unless it's really important and it has to do with my parents. I just couldn't help but do something about what I thought I felt about you."

"And that is...?"

"I like you," he said, looking straight into her eyes. "Right now, I think that although we're not really in a relationship yet, it was worth the trip.

"I'm not the kind of guy to jump into things, especially things like relationships. I like to get to know people and think before anything, because feelings are quickly lost, but decisions aren't, you know? They have effects, either good or bad, or both. And, I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

"I like you, but if you think that this isn't a relationship--and I'm talking about the near future not exactly the present--worth going into, then I understand."

"Is this how boys court girls in reality?" Seohyun asked with a weak laugh. Throughout the week, she could feel that he liked her, and truth was, she liked him, too. However, he never really said anything, and assuming things was a difficult task and a potentially very embarrassing one.

"I don't know," he replied with a shrug. "Some guys don't court properly, they just jump into things stupidly. Forgive my language, but it is the unfortunate truth and a lot of girls are poor unfortunate souls for meeting those kinds of males who, in my humble opinion, are not worthy to be called real men."

Seohyun giggled a bit. "You know, you're so weird. One moment, you're speaking casually, the next, you're speaking as if you came from a Shakespearean novel."

"Habit," he replied curtly. "The only reason I speak casually around you is because you speak casually to me, but in China, you'd think everyone came from a Shakespearean novel because of formalities. It gets carried over, you know?"

"Habits die hard," she said in agreement.

"And some guys can be pretty charming to the point that they're quite deceitful already. So be careful," he warned.

"You know, you're indirectly telling me to be careful around you."

"Pssh. Me? I am not charming in the least bit. I am polite and I mind my manners, but charming? Please go speak to the actor of the first commercial you lay your eyes on tonight."

"As I said," she said. "Charming."

"I cannot accept that, unfortunately."

"Whatever, Kris. Accept it or not, know it or not, you are. At least to me. And...to answer your question earlier? I don't mind. It's sad we won't be able to see each other a lot, but relationships don't have to be all about seeing each other, right? It's about knowing each other and falling for the person behind the face. Isn't that right...?"

"I'm glad to hear you say so. I think the same way," he agreed with a big smile that seemed to brighten up his whole face.

 

Kris sat on his bed staring into space. His elbows were on his knees, and in his hand was his phone. On the screen was a text message. He shifted his attention to the bag in front of him which contained his clothes.

Now...what?

 

~°~

 

"Kreeeeeeeees!" was the greeting he received the moment he stepped off the plane. His head immediately snapped to the direction of the voice and saw Henry frantically waving at him. He wondered why, but moved quickly to meet the older boy anyway.

"What's up, Henry?" he asked, greeting the man in the process.

"Nice to see you again, Kris," Henry replied with a curt nod. They briskly walked out of the airport, avoiding lines with the help of the papers that Henry had. As they walked, Henry explained. "The competition... The Emperor wants to watch the last few performances. He has talked to the representatives of different countries, the countries of origin of a number of the remaining competitors, and it seems that there was an agreement with all of them.

"Kris, the thing is, the waiver they signed? They agreed to be something like a bargaining chip for their country. We are in the 21st century, but this. This is like the trading of representatives in Western Medieval cultures to preserve peace."

"...And none of the contestants really know what they've gotten themselves into?" he asked.

"Yes. They think that they will simply be gaining a scholarship to our best martial arts academies, but-"

"Our best academies lead to the service of the government," he muttered in realization.

"Yes," Henry replied seriously. "The thing is, Master Chen Long was not informed of this little detail. A lot of people were not--including the judges."

"Why?" Kris asked as they hopped into the car with Henry behind the wheel.

"I don't know," Henry replied, as he began to drive. "But what I do know is that you need to be there because Tao is called to be a judge. Victoria is as well."

"And Lay?"

"Lay was asked to stay with Lu Han, but Lu Han has asked to watch the competitors."

"Oh." Kris groaned in frustration, knowing that by doing so, Lu Han had involuntarily volunteered himself to be watched over by the new recruit.

"Which is why we have to hurry."

 

"Kris!" Tao exclaimed in relief when he saw the two stride into the room.

Lay and Lu Han's heads snapped up to see their tall friend. Lu Han beamed a welcoming smile while Lay waved in welcome.

"Lu Han, please don't tell me you asked to-"

"Want to watch the competition?" he suggested. "Not really. But I was asked to, as my father is unable to."

"Does the Emperor have to watch?" Kris asked.

"No, my father has a meeting in Korea to prepare for," he replied. "South, of course, and I think we have to join him there...soon...?"

"Next week," Kris confirmed.

"And I hear we're going to have a new friend," Lu Han mused. "Have any of you met him?"

"What new friend?" Tao asked.

"I thought he was coming from your school," Lu Han told Tao.

"But I came from a monastery," Tao replied.

"Then it must have been your school, Lay."

"I come from a private academy," Lay said. "Private academies don't send their students to work for the government. Private academies aren't even schools, they're just training centers."

"Then where did our new friend come from?" he asked.

"I don't know, but we'll find out soon," Kris assured him. I hope.

 

~°~

 

The competitors filed themselves in neat rows. The past few days had reduced their number greatly; the team elimination strategy worked like wonder.

"Remind me again why I'm one of the first five presenters?" Baekhyun asked.

"Ask your Dad," Aze said. "Why does he have 'Byun' as his family name?"

"Not helping, Aze," he replied with a defeated sigh.

Aze simply gave him a sheepish grin. "But that answered your question, didn't it?"

"Yeah, it did," he replied.

 

Baekhyun stepped on the stage. It was his turn.

When he saw the people that were there, his heart seemed to skip a beat. In front of him, on the vast place where the audience was supposed to be were five judges--Hangeng, their training head, Tao, the young host, Master Chen Long, one of the two elder masters, Master Li Lianjie, the other elder master, and Kris, a stern looking youth. Nearby, there was this young man, clad in a suit with a bright, expectant look on his face. He sat between two other men roughly around his age who didn’t seem to share his eagerness, but seemed to be amused by it.

In times like this, it was those little things that Baekhyun seemed to notice more. He saw that Kris, sitting on the right most side of the table, nearer to the three young men, had handed a piece of paper to the one in the middle. The receiver seemed delighted by whatever was written on it. He gave his approval, or what seemed to be his approval to Baekhyun, before he returned the piece of paper to Kris.

“Byun Baekhyun?” Kris asked.

Baekhyun’s throat seemed to constrict out of nervousness, and all he could do to reply was nod.

“Alright. Please, show us what you’ve got,” Kris said encouragingly.

Baekhyun nodded. He took a step back, breathed in a deep breath as he closed his eyes, and mentally prepared himself.

I can do this. I can do this.

With those thoughts in mind, he began. In his hand was a sword, its tassel dangling with the colours representative of their country. He gripped it firmly, memories of his practices with Kai flooding back into his brain and rushing through his body.

Quickly, at first, then slowly, he moved fluidly, as if he was both dancing and fighting at the same time. His sword swished around gracefully, like an extension of his arm rather than an awkward stick of metal.

Because he had planned this with Kai, and that this had unintentionally become a hybrid of their fancies, his performance lasted three minutes, a little shorter than the performance of the others, and definitely a lot less embellished. Some had asked for partners, some had made use of more equipment. His was practically bare save for the sword.

Glide, Baekhyun thought as he moved. He had found that thinking as he was moving was good for him. The adjectives that go terrorizing his brain in these times actually manifested themselves in his movements, and he looked better that way than when he was completely focused only on his movements.

Baekhyun's performance was coming to a close. His spins were faster, his jumps higher. When the last came, he sheathed his sword, planting the hand that grasped it firmly to his hip bone, and standing perfectly still, as if he had not even moved an inch. The only thing that could betray that he had moved from his spot was his ragged breathing, and the sweat that formed in beads across his forehead.

Master Li and Master Chen had considering looks on their faces. This gave Baekhyun a sliver of hope. Hangeng had a small smile drawn on his face--always a good sign. However, Tao's eyes were burning into his soul and Kris' expression was unreadable. He looked serious, far more than when he had called Baekhyun and asked him to begin. What did that mean?

"Thank you, Baekhyun," Kris said. His voice was even, no hints of amusement whatsoever.

Baekhyun could do nothing but bow and slip off the stage. He could only hope that what he did, what he and Kai had done together, spent countless hours rehearsing over and over again, would bear fruit, good fruit.

 

~°~

 

"Do you find him particularly fascinating?" Kris asked as he was sifting through the comments that he had jotted down onto the contestants' papers. Lu Han sat in front of him.

Both of them were clad in their sleepwear, but neither were anywhere near the state of sleep. Kris was preoccupied with the competitors while Lu Han was busy mulling over Baekhyun's performance. He really found it stunning; he found Baekhyun himself interesting. He was the only one who had stepped on the stage without much embellishments. The most was the sword and its interesting tassel, a reminder of the young man's loyalty to his country, and loyalty was always a virtue to be admired and rewarded.

"Truthfully, yes. I find him very fascinating. For him to attach that tassel onto his sword considering he was going to perform in front of Chinese nationals... It takes a lot of courage to do so, knowing that the judges may have a bias towards China," he admitted. He liked to voice his thoughts to Kris, who seemed to absorb his words well and never had any of them leaked out.

"Loyalty. That is what you see in him, is it not? It takes loyalty to do something like that," Kris agreed. "But if the others decide to remove him... I have no power to say nay."

"Tao?" Lu Han suggested.

"I cannot influence Tao's decision. He respects me, but it is not right nor is it my place to influence his decisions to suit my own," Kris said apologetically.

"No, that was not what I had in mind. I meant to ask of Tao's opinion. Do you think he was fascinated by Byun Baekhyun as well?"

"Tao is a martial artist, Lu Han," Kris reminded. "He sees such things differently from the way I see them."

"Ah, yes," Lu Han muttered as he thought.

Kris let him be as he scribbled some notes on a separate piece of paper concerning the other competitors. "But perhaps we can find a way around."

"Excuse me?" Lu Han asked.

"Special exceptions may be made for those who find favor. That is one of the things that Tao had said, was it not? And Tao is a master by level, though he has never had students. He is affiliated to Master Chen Long by position, despite his background. If Baekhyun has found special favor in your eyes, Lu Han, perhaps we may talk Tao into taking him in as his apprentice. It is always better to work with people whom you trust, and he seems to have earned yours by his display of loyalty."

"Please take into consideration the thoughts of the Masters. If they think it is alright, then..."

"I shall," Kris assured him.

Lu Han never liked playing favorites, he always liked to be as objective as can be. For him to have a bias towards this one, it was quite a change. Baekhyun had something to offer, and Kris saw it as well. How could he not see? He had spent over ten years with this boy, their thoughts blended so well together that they could sometimes easily forget where the division was.

 

~°~

 

Kris deliberately held back from speaking of Lu Han's interest in Baekhyun until the contest had neared its official close. Much to his satisfaction, and Lu Han's, Baekhyun passed. His display of loyalty was noted as well by Tao and Master Li Lianjie. Master Chen Long had found his display impressive and creative, while Hangeng saw the dedication Baekhyun had put into the art. So, he was voted in, along with a few others.

It was time for them all to be sent home, and to those accepted, they were given letters addressing their official acceptance into the different academies that would have them. The people that were in the audience were representatives sent to gauge the competitors, and to each they saw fit, they gave a letter.

Baekhyun received three letters: one congratulating him on getting so far in the competition, one addressed to him from Master Chen Long saying how it would be an honour to have him train under their young prodigy Tao. With the second letter were the names and signatures of the officials of the academies that were willing to accept him. The third was a letter inviting him and his family to a dinner with the Emperor a few days after he arrives back in Korea.

"Cool," Aze commented as they sat in the shuttle that would take them to the airport.

"Did you get one, too?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yeah, except the third. The Emperor's not visiting our country," Aze said.

"Why not?"

"I think now's a good time to tell you? The relationship of our countries is a bit strained right now. I don't know what's supposed to be, but the two countries are fighting over a chunk of land. I mean, yeah, they both want it, but the thing is, it's wrong for them to agree to war games, you know?" Aze remarked.

The reason why Bryan had been unable to come back was because he was just half Chinese. He did not want to be the person standing between two lands, not knowing what to do. He was no diplomat, and his upbringing and conditioning would've given him a bias to which country to side with. And biases normally led to displeasure and disagreement.

The reason why it had been the five of them that were sent as the representatives was because the country had predisposed the majority of non-Chinese members of society to see China as the enemy, and a lot of people, the Chinese members of their society, were eager to forego such an event in favour of staying out of the limelight. The relationship was taut, and not sending any representatives would've stretched it further.

Truthfully, none of them were really Wu Shu practitioners. Anne was a practitioner of Taekwondo prior to her injury; Kristine was a volleyball player whose cousin was trying to teach her basketball; Bryan was a badminton varsity member and Martin was an Aikido student. Aze was a student-cadet whose trainer asked him to study a martial art, and it just so happened that Teacher Li knew Wu Shu. Really, none of them knew Wu Shu, but with a two-month long intensive crash course in it, they were able to learn the basics and survive with them.

Baekhyun was, in all honesty, shocked by the revelation. He had never thought that such an innocent competition could have such serious undertones.

"Don't worry, though. If by getting this far means that they're willing to give me a chance to do something about the countries' state of friendship, then why not, right? God knows what to do," he said, shrugging it off as if it was nothing.

As he said those words, Baekhyun could not help but feel a little intimidated. Here was a boy with whom he had spent over a week with yet he knew hardly anything about what the other was going through. He had gotten into this contest with thoughts of his country in mind, and doing this was honestly a very dangerous thing. It was dangerous and stupid, seeing as China is one force to be reckon with, and he was on their territory. They could do whatever they wanted to him!

Perhaps that is where blood steps in. By lineage, he was of Chinese descent. China could not throw him out so easily and they could not get rid of him as they could of an enemy. Here was a teen, a member of their society by blood, by language and by tradition, yet also an enemy by nationality, by language and by law. Thinking about it, Baekhyun found himself thinking of the stupidity of the action. How dare they send a child to do a man's work? How dare they use such an underhanded trick, a human shield? But Aze never said if the country sent him to do it, or he did this on his own. He just said that he hoped that by being there, it could change something.

Bryan had backed out because he was afraid of being in the middle ground. Did that mean he could not take being thrown in neither team?

"No, Bryan didn't want to, even if he was a better bargaining chip, because he can't. If he stayed here, he would be locking himself in, discarding all his options and any method of play that he could have if he had all the information. He's a faster thinker than I am, and I'm a faster doer than he is," Aze explained. "As for Kris, though she could've been here, she chose to step off because she has biases. Her diplomacy skills are good, but they're not yet spot on. She can defend, but that doesn't mean she's not going to hurt the other in the process."

"What do you mean?"

"She's already predisposed herself to look at China in a better light without intending to. She's angry at our country's regime, its way of handling things because they're flailing stupidly--forgive my term--and they won't admit they're making mistakes. If she didn't have that predisposition, she'd be better here, her speaking skills are better than mine," he said with a shrug.

"But you guys think she's going to say something stupid and begin a war or something," Baekhyun suggested.

"Exactly. Sometimes, opinions are dangerous especially if you don't know how to handle them."

"Why not Martin or Anne?"

"Anne is injured, if you've forgotten," Aze reminded lightly. "And Martin is too soft-spoken. He's a wiz when it comes to making videos and stuff, but he's not inclined to speak."

"So you're really the best bet?"

"No, because what I do here will not matter to them. In the end, I'm just wasting my time trying to do something that they will never appreciate nor understand, but I just can't sit by if there's such an opportunity, now can I?"

"No," Baekhyun agreed. This was an opportunity of a lifetime, and he applauded them for thinking that far ahead. Because what he said was true. He can't just sit by and do nothing; if he just sat by and did nothing, then nothing would change, nothing would end. "God guide you."

"Thank you," he replied gratefully. "You, too."

"I'm going to see you around here, aren't I?"

"That's highly likely," Aze replied cheekily.

"See ya, then."

"Until next time."

"'Til next time," Baekhyun agreed. He got something more from this trip than just a scholarship.

 

~°~

 

"Seohyun's coming to visit next week," Yoona said happily as she chatted with Lu Han.

"She has free time?" Lu Han asked.

"Apparently," she replied. "She finished enlisting for her classes this week."

"That is good," he mused. He'd been considering if he'd tell her that he's coming to Korea at the same time as Seohyun, but seeing that glimmer of excitement in her eyes, he thought against it. "But your classes have started, have they not?"

"They have," she replied with a disgruntled sigh. She pulled up her knees and hugged them closer to her chest. "But that's not important."

"That doesn't sound like you," he commented. Slowly, his manner of speaking was conforming to hers whenever he spoke to her. He was speaking casually with her, as he would sometimes with his friends, but with her, it seemed like it brought them to a whole new level of closeness, not just the removal of formalities.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you really Yoona?" he asked jovially. "The Yoona I know cares a lot about her grades and she even asked me to help her out once."

"Lu Han, you're so weird!" she said, giving his arm a playful slap.

"Hey, hey, hey, I'm only saying the truth," he replied. Then, he pulled her in for a hug. "I know it's you. You've changed a bit, you know."

"Why? 'Cause I said that my classes aren't that important?" she asked.

"Not too long ago, you would never have said that, you know."

"I know. I have changed haven't I?" she asked.

Her head was on his lap as she looked up at him. They intertwined their fingers together as Lu Han absent-mindedly played with Yoona's hair.

"But not too much. You're still the Yoona that I like," he replied.

"How sure are you?" she asked. "Now that I think about it, I think... I can't recognize myself anymore."

"Why not?"

"Honestly, I don't know why or how it came to be, but before I met you, I'd never consider having a boyfriend. It's not that I've a for the same gender or anything, I'm just--I was just--not the kind to think of such things. Studies, you know. Then I would also never have dreamed that I'd have a boyfriend like you. No, never in my wildest dreams."

"Then your dreams aren't particularly wild," he commented with a chuckle. "But this is real. It's as real as can be. I'm as real as you are, and we're as real as the reality that you and your brother have a very good sibling relationship."

Yoona chuckled. "You're not very good at analogies."

"I don't have enough practice. I don't really have the need for it, you know."

 

~°~

 

"Baekhyun!" Kai sang as he sauntered up to his friend.

"Hey, Kai!" he replied with a beaming smile. "Hi, Mom, hi, Dad, hi Auntie, hi Uncle. Eh? Where's Yoona?"

"Yoona went to look for Seohyun. She's coming for a visit. You've got great timing, Baekhyun," Kai's father commented.

"Ha! Cool," he replied.

"Baekhyun, you're back!" he heard Yoona call.

Yoona and Seohyun quickened their paces to join the group. Yoona gave Baekhyun a hug and a greeting as Kai did the same for Seohyun.

"Does this mean there's a lot of stories to share?" Seohyun asked, noting the excited glimmer in Baekhyun's eyes.

"Yes," everyone who had stayed in Korea replied in unison, followed by a collective laugh. Ah, home sweet home.

 

~°~

 

"It's been ages, Yoong," Seohyun said as they finally lugged her bag to Yoona's room. She was staying with the Ims for the duration of the week, pretty much squealing in excitement on the prospect of spending the whole week with her best friend, with or without a textbook between them.

"It hasn't been that long," Yoona replied with a laugh. She sank down on her bed and motioned for Seohyun to join her.

The two of them lay on the bed, legs dangling off the edge, staring at the ceiling.

"Aren't you going to have complications with your visa?" Yoona asked. "Your naturalization, I mean."

"Nah, and even if I was, the most I'd get is not getting naturalized as a citizen as soon as I'd hoped," she replied. "Besides, I wanted to see you again. It hasn't been long, but you know sentimentality."

"Yes, I do," she replied laughing.

"Oh, that reminds me. I've told you I've got a boyfriend, right?"

"Yeah, your first relationship and you choose a guy who lives on this side of the globe. Aren't long distance relationships difficult?"

"You don't get to go out much, that's for sure. Kris and I talk on the phone or over the internet on weekends only. A few texts every day, but not a full conversation," Seohyun replied, describing the relationship she shared with Kris. "But it's not bad, Kris is really nice, and his parents are already like family."

"That's good," Yoona replied. "As long as you guys don't have a messy break-up or something."

"I doubt it. How messy can a break-up be if it's over the computer?"

"Won't that hurt more? It's insincere."

Seohyun sighed. "Then I'll face it when I get there. But for now, I think I'm still on Cloud Nine."

"You're so cheesey!"

"Hey, at least I'm trying, aren't I? I don't see you having a boyfriend right now," Seohyun taunted. "Oh, wait. Kai mentioned something about a drawing. Can I see your sketchpad?"

"No," Yoona replied.

"Okay," Seohyun replied. She got up, opened a drawer and pulled out the sketchpad. She flipped through it until she stopped at Lu Han's picture.

"I thought I said no."

"You did, but I have a right to see your drawings as I had been one of the people that encouraged it," she replied cheekily.

"Pssh, freak," Yoona muttered.

"You know you love me," Seohyun replied adorably. "Oh, you know, this guy looks familiar. Really familiar."

"How come you know him too? Am I the only one who doesn't recognize him?" she demanded playfully.

"I just recognize him," she replied. "But I don't know who he is exactly. Is this the guy you're crushing on?"

"No," she replied. "I don't even know who he is, how can I be crushing on him?"

I'm in love with him, Yoona thought. And his name is Lu Han.

"I don't know, I was just asking. If you don't know him, how'd you draw a picture of him?"

"He's a character from my dream," she replied with a shrug.

"Vivid dream you have," Seohyun said, closing the sketchpad and stuffing it back into the drawer before plopping herself down onto the bed.

"Same thing Kai said. But never mind that. You were saying something about your boyfriend?"

"Ah, oh yeah! He's here this week with his friends for work, and if he's got free time, maybe you wanna meet him?"

"And be a third wheel at a date?"

"Hey, you're my best friend. He might drag his friends along," she suggested.

"Even more no. But I'd like to meet him. As your best friend, I have the right to know who your boyfriend is and gauge for myself if he's trustworthy."

"Yoona," Seohyun said with a playful click of her tongue.

"You know you love me," she replied with a laugh, using the line Seohyun had just used on her.

 

 

A/N: There will be a few problems that will arise because of politics, as you all see from Baekhyun's predicament. But Baekhyun's part is mostly to make this more realistic, with real problems. Please look forward to Baekhyun + Lu Han + Aze = ??? To those who have an inkling as to the political problems Lu Han and Aze will be in, please note that this is fiction. Some things may be similar, but this is a crafted world and the inspiration is reality. I'm not trying to take sides, I'm trying to present a problem that we're all either facing now or will face in the future and I hope that when the time comes, we'll give a better answer than the one that is given today. I'll do my best to write those. :) By the way, did anyone realize? Master Chen Long = Jackie Chan, Master Li Lianjie = Jet Li. Hehehe