Chapter Eight

Mysterious Friendship


The restaurant was lovely and having dinner with him was super fun.
"So then not only was my foot stuck in this baby swing, I broke it and JongHyun left me to be laughed at by the little kids."
I couldn't stop laughing at his story. 
"Oh my gosh! That's so embarrassing!" I exclaimed. 
"Alright. Tell me one of your embarrassing stories."
The story was no longer funny and I froze. 
"My stories?" I asked.
"Yes, that's how it works. A story for a story."
I took a deep breath before I started my story.
"It was right before I moved and I was with my best friend. She dared me to go to the mall and dance change by Hyuna."
"Oh, so you dance."
"No..."
Ricky seemed to understand where this was going and started to laugh.
"So we brought a cd player and played the song. I was dancing and it was awful. I was awful. To make matters worse there is video evidence."
"I have to see this video," he said laughing.
"No. I refuse to let anyone see it."
"But you brought it up you have to show me."
It was a relief to have my mom text me wondering where I was.
"My mom is wanting me back home so we will have to discuss this later," I told him.
"Did you want me to walk you home?" Ricky asked.
I shook my head as I finished off my plate. 
"I'll be fine. But see you Monday."
I left the restaurant and I saw Changjo ready to give some snarky comment.
"Thought you were dating Chunji," he said.
"Yes. We have a date tomorrow. Why are you saying that?"
"Because that looked like a date back there."
I laughed at the thought. Changjo was being ridiculous.
"We were just friends having dinner," I explained.
Changjo grabbed my wrist and stopped me from walking.
"I'm serious," he told me looking me straight in the eyes. "Ricky is my best friend and he wouldn't want me saying this but I'm in a coma so what could he do?"
"Changjo, what are you talking about?"
"He likes you. Don't give him false hope by going out to dinner with him."
I rolled my eyes and continued on walking. What did Changjo know? He wasn't there when Ricky told his mom he liked someone else. 
"You want me to avoid him?" I asked.
"No. He is going through a lot. He's covering up a lot of his pain, that stupid little trooper. He thinks your his sunshine that came when it seemed the rain would never go away."
I looked at Changjo shocked to hear him say this. In a way, it was funny. I'd compared him to the sun myself. 
"You're sure he feels this way?" I confirmed.
"Positive. But you can't talk to him about it. Just continue to be his friend and try to avoid situations where it's only you and him. Suggest things like inviting C.A.P or someone when he wants to hang out."
It was weird to hear all of this from Changjo. This was a whole other side I hadn't really seen before. 
I tried to go back to my room to work on my homework but my mom wanted to talk to me. Letting out a sigh, I took a seat across from her at the dining room table. 
"About the guy I brought home," she said, "please don't think I'm dating him."
"That might be hard to do. It seemed like a pretty fancy meal," I said.
My mom sighed and rubbed her forehead.
"Well if I was to date him, would you object?"
I shook my head and my mom sighed with relief.
"Good. Because I do want to date him. I want someone and I feel like he is perfect."
"Mom, I'm happy for you. Now can I go back to my room?"
My mom let me go and I went back and worked on my homework. Changjo accompanied me and was back to being a pest.
"The answer is four," he said not even taking a glance at the paper.
I looked up from my book and glared at him.
"Shut up," I told him.
"But ChaeYoung I'm bored!" he whined. 
"Don't you have friends to spy on?"
"Ricky is at home jumping for joy at the fact you two had dinner together. Chunji is planning your date tomorrow. Niel is watching a movie over at C.A.P's house and L.Joe is already asleep. That leaves you. Doing math."
I focused back on my work and ignored the random numbers Changjo shouted out.
"Done!" I rejoiced. 
No more random numbers. 
I packed up my work and then joined Changjo in sitting on the the floor. We faced each other and sat with our legs crossed. 
"What exactly did you mean when you said that Ricky was going through a lot? Aren't the others going through the same thing?"
Changjo shook his head and looked like he was contemplating whether he could tell me.
"It's complicated," he finally said. "I think Ricky should be the one to tell you."
I understood but I was curious. What else could he be going through? 
Changjo and I wound up staying up half the night talking. We talked about my lack of ghost seeing history. We went through possible reasons as to why I saw him and only him. The two of us were stumped.
"Your mom doesn't see ghosts?" he asked.
"If she did, wouldn't she see you?"
Changjo replied with a shrug of his shoulders.
"It's not like you see every ghost out there. Maybe she could be the same way? And you know, she hasn't told you because then you'd think she was a freak."
"So your saying I'm a freak cause I can see you?"
Changjo shrugged his shoulders and my jaw dropped. I kicked his leg in response and he pouted.
"Gosh, I was just messing around. Your not a freak."
"Sorry," I mumbled. 
"For my protection, I'm moving up to the bed," he said.
He hopped up on my bed to which I pulled him off of.
"No. I get the bed because it's mine and you get the floor," I told him.
I sat down on my bed and he joined me a second later.
"I'm joining you," he said.
"But doesn't that defeat the whole getting away and protecting yourself?"
"It does," he said.
Still, he wasn't going to get off. I made him sit on the edge of the bed and got under the covers.
"Don't go to bed," he whined. "I'll have no one to talk to."
"We will talk tomorrow," I told him. 
"But-"
"Goodnight, Changjo."