Chapter Sixteen

Mysterious Friendship

 

I sat by myself at first when lunch came around. Then I was joined by Niel and C.A.P not long after.
"Where is your lunch?" Niel asked.
"I'm not in the mood to eat," I said.
When really, I just didn't want to ask for money again. 
Both Niel and C.A.P offered me some of their food but I declined. 
"You'll take Ricky's food but not ours?" C.A.P questioned.
The two raised their eyebrows at me and I merely shrugged.
"It doesn't have anything to do with who offers the food," I told them.
"We could believe that," Niel said, "or you could like Ricky?"
I laughed at him. That idea was crazy. Though it wasn't at first. But now I was sure. No feelings for Ricky. 
"I like..." I stopped, realizing I couldn't tell them who I liked. 
But I had got them curious. They wouldn't give up until they learned.
"Just tell them," Changjo said, appearing next to me. 
"I can't," I said, my sentence fitting both things I was told.
"Why can't you?" C.A.P asked. 
"You'll think I'm weird," I told them. 
I was saved by the end of lunch. 
After school as Changjo and I walked back home, he brought up the swimming thing again.
"My parents are going to be gone all weekend. They won't catch you. And like I said. I'll be there. It's not trespassing."
It didn't seem like he was giving up any time soon. 
"Fine. We can swim," I told him. 
Changjo jumped up in the air pumped his fist.
"Yes! This is going to be fun!"
I shook my head and laughed to myself. Why did I like this kid? Seriously. 
My mom was out. Probably looking for a job. That left Changjo and I by ourselves.
"So what are your parents doing this weekend?" I asked Changjo.
"They are visiting some family," he said. 
We stayed up and talked about swimming.
"I'm not really the best when it comes to swimming," I admitted. 
Changjo didn't think it was a big deal and shrugged his shoulders.
"I can teach you," he said. 
"It's not that I can't. I'm just not the best," I told him. 
The details didn't matter to him however. He was glad we would be swimming.
When it was time to swim, I told my mom that I would be with a friend and left with Changjo. The closer we got the more that I didn't want to do this. Chunji lived across from him. What if he saw me? 
"Relax. Everything will be fine. It's just a swim," Changjo said. "Don't be such a goody-two-shoes."
"What did you just call me?" I asked
"You heard me," he replied with a grin. I chased him down to his house and followed him to his backyard. He jumped into his pool without warning and I halted where I was. I shook my head and walked to the edge. I took off my shoes and stuck my feet in the pool. Changjo popped up shirtless and it caught me off guard. 
"You just..."
"Look hot?" he finished for me.
I gapped at him and instead of answering I clicked my teeth at him. 
"Come on in," he said. 
"I'll just watch you and kick my feet," I said.
"No, your coming in." Changjo got out of the pull and pulled me up. I fought against him as he tried to pick me up but he soon won and had me bridal style. 
"Three," he counted and I closed my eyes. "Two." I took a deep breath and plugged my nose. "One!"
He jumped into the pool and we went under. We shot right back up and I let out the breath I was holding. I opened my eyes and looked into Changjo's.
"That wasn't so bad was it?" he asked. I shook my head and cuddled into him. This felt right. He helped me swim down to the shallow end where I attempted to float. The attempt was a fail and I got water up my nose. 
"Not doing that again," I commented. 
I splashed Changjo who was laughing at my fail. He stopped and splashed me back making me shriek. 
"Hey I have neighbors," he said. I rolled my eyes and pushed him underwater. He was the one who started it. 
Changjo popped back up and shook out his hair. I wouldn't be caught telling him but he looked so cute. I'd like to kiss him. But I'd never be caught telling him that. It was like he read my mind - who knows maybe he did. Because he leaned in and kissed me. I wrapped my arms and kissed him back. Then nothing. I stumbled forward and opened my eyes to see Changjo was gone.
"This is not funny," I said. I looked around and waited for him to come back. But he didn't. I walked home alone and waited for Changjo. The more I waited the more sad I became.