Chapter Five

Mysterious Friendship


School was awful for me. I could barely stay awake. Lunch was the time I was hoping to catch up on my sleep. But Chunji looked extra cute in his uniform and today he was telling me about his family. I couldn't help but stay awake.
After school, I met with Ricky and we took the bus to the hospital. I fell asleep with my head resting on his shoulder. When Ricky woke me up to say we were at our stop, I kept telling him now bad I felt for falling asleep on him.
"It's no big deal," he said. "At lunch today you looked ready to pass out."
We headed inside the hospital and he led me to JongHyun's room. The boy in the bed was covered in bandages. I couldn't even see his face. 
"He isn't like, mangled beyond belief under those bandages right?" I asked.
"No. They are actually supposed to take them off tomorrow," Ricky said. "But basically, this is our friend. The doctor said its good to come visit and talk to him because I guess there is a chance he can hear us despite his coma."
I walked over and took a seat by JongHyun.
"Maybe I could talk to him? I know he doesn't know me but..."
"Sure. Go ahead."
I turned back to face JongHyun and reached for his hand before realizing it felt weird. I folded my hands in my lap and took a minute to look at him.
"Hi there," I said, "I don't really know you but I know your friends."
I turned to Ricky for approval and he gave me a thumbs up and told me to continue on. 
"Your friends are great and I know they would love for you to wake up and hang out with them again. Even I would love to hang out. You're probably a really cool guy. So... Yeah."
I turned to Ricky again who ran to give me a hug. 
"Thank you for doing this," he said. 
"Oh, really Ricky, I don't mind."
After Ricky said a few things to JongHyun about his day we went to his house.
"Mom, I brought a friend," Ricky announced as we walked in.
His mom soon appeared out of what I took to be the kitchen with a bowl and spoon in her hands. 
"Hi, I was just finishing up some cookies. Do you both want some."
"We do," Ricky said answering for me. "We'll wait for them in my room."
We went into his room which was your typical boys room. 
"I'd ask if we could do something fun but I have homework," I said. 
"Unfortunately, so do I."
We worked on some of our homework and I helped out Ricky a bit with his until his mom said the cookies were ready.
We left his room and sat in the dining room while we ate the cookies. 
"Now Ricky, why don't you properly introduce your new girlfriend to me," His mom said taking a seat with us.
He started choking on the cookie he'd just shoved into his mouth while I mentally freaked out.
"We aren't dating," I told his mom.
Ricky nodded in agreement while he took a sip of his milk and tried to stop choking.
"I'm sorry. It's just Ricky told me about this girl and I thought you were her."
"Mom, that was someone else," he said, the cookie now gone.
"I feel so silly. I just assumed since you brought this girl over- I'll stop."
Ricky's mom got up and left us alone at the table.
"My mom tries to keep up with things but it doesn't really work," he said. 
"It's fine. But maybe I should get going."
I didnt really want to but I didn't know what else to say or do about it. He looked sad at the fact I was going, making me feel worse. 
"Maybe we could hangout this weekend?" he asked.
"It's a date," I said.
Ricky looked up from the table and I panicked.
"Not a date as in, well, date. Date like plan. I'm going to go."
I hurried out as fast as I could and gave myself a good slap. Why did I have to say that? Heading back home, I groaned seeing Changjo sitting on my front porch. After what happened with Ricky, I didn't want to deal with him right now.
"Why are you here?" I asked him.
"I was waiting for you to get back so we could hang out. It's me you need to be hanging out with, not Ricky."
My jaw dropped and I could feel myself getting angry. I took a second to calm myself down before I spoke.
"How did you know I was with him?" I asked placing my hands on my hip.
"I saw you leave with him after school. Did Chunji reject you or something? I thought you liked him and not Ricky."
"I don't like Ricky!" I shouted. "I like Chunji and none of this is your business in the first place."
"ChaeYoung..." Changjo said standing up. 
He reached out to place his hand on my shoulder. I smacked away his hand and took a step back.
"No!  You're a stalker, okay? The reason no one wants to hang out with you at school is because you stalk people."
"ChaeYoung, you don't understand," Changjo said.
I rolled my eyes as I pushed passed him and made my way inside my house. Changjo came in after and closed the door behind him, leaning against it.
"What could I possibly not understand? Changjo, you show up where I am, know who I'm with, and I don't think I could be friends with a stalker. Let me rephrase, I won't be friends with a stalker."
Changjo sighed and surprised me as he opened the door.
"Then I'll see you around school," he said.
I watched him leave in disbelieve. It wasn't that easy, was it? Changjo just left.