Chapter Three

Mysterious Friendship

I was surprised in the morning by Changjo knocking on my door.
"What are you doing?" I hissed at him.
I hoped my mom was still sleeping as he walked inside.
"I'm picking you up for school," he said as if it was obvious.
Like he even plans on attending.
"What happened to you not being good with meeting parents?"
"I don't plan on meeting your mom. I'm just picking you up. Now let's hurry before she wakes up."
He grabbed my bag and walked out the door. I hurried to put on my shoes and ran after him. 
"Give me that," I said snatching my bag and putting it on my back. "You know I don't like you, right?"
"I know that's what you think but I know you really like hanging out."
I rolled my eyes and tried to ignore him. When I reached the gates, I heard my name and saw Ricky running after me in the opposite direction. I turned to say goodbye to Changjo but saw he was already gone. 
"ChaeYoung, are you okay?" he asked looking at me with those same adorable eyes as yesterday.
"What? Oh, yeah. I just was in my head," I told him.
Ricky led me to Chunji and the others. 
"ChaeYoung's back," Niel said.
I looked over at Chunji who winked at me. I bit back my smile and greeted them all. 
"What are we talking about?" Ricky asked the others.
They all glanced at one another with unsure faces. Ricky's smile dropped and he let out a simple oh. 
"Is everything alright?" I asked.
"How about I tell her?" Chunji said.
He put his arm around my shoulder and led me away from the others.
"We have this friend of ours and he isn't doing well," Chunji said. "He's currently in the hospital."
"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that," I said. 
"It was stupid really. He was walking home from school by himself and listening to his iPod. He was too busy changing songs to even look up and check for cars. He crossed without looking and... Well you know, he- do I have to say it?"
"No I understand. Your friend was hit."
Chunji shocked me with a hug and it took me a moment before I hugged him back.
"He'll be okay," I said.
This hug was not as awkward as I thought it would be. I was really liking it. 
"I'm going down and visiting him at the hospital after school. Did you want to come with me?" Chunji asked.
I pulled back and looked to see if he was serious. Nothing on his face showed that he was kidding.
"Sure. I'll come," I said.
I tagged along as Chunji went to his locker. He explained that his friend was in pretty bad condition. The bell soon rang and we went to class.
I was surprised to see Changjo at lunch. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the cafeteria.
"You can't," he said.
"What can't I?" I asked confused.
"Go to the hospital."
"How do you even know about that?"
Changjo suddenly had no words. He started to run away and I went after him. I turned the hall and stopped seeing it was empty. Where could he have gone? 
I went back to the cafeteria and sat next to Ricky.
"Where's your food?" he asked.
I only now noticed the lack of a tray in my hands.
"I'm not hungry," I lied. 
Ricky moved his tray over so it was in the middle of the two of us. 
"We can share," he said.
"Thanks," I said giving him a smile.
Really, this kid was the sweetest. Ricky handed me his apple and as I took a bite I saw the others looking at us. There was an awkward silence as they all stared at Ricky and I.
"Apple anyone?" I asked.
I hated seeing them like this.
"No thanks," Chunji said getting up and leaving. L.Joe followed after. 
"What just happened?" I asked puzzled.
"Don't mind them," Niel told me. 
"Was it something I did?" I questioned.
"No. It was Ricky," C.A.P said. 
The three of us turned to look at Ricky. 
"I didn't do anything," he said through his teeth.
He got up an stormed off leaving me stunned. Ricky could be more than adorable. 
The rest of lunch wasn't that great and after school I went to find Chunji. 
He seemed to be back to normal and was with L.Joe. 
"Are you ready to go to the hospital?" he asked.
"About that," I said, already feeling bad, " I don't think I should. Lunch today was weird and I think it's best If I don't go."
"Come with us," L.Joe said.
I didn't even know he was coming until now. I thought it was supposed to be Chunji and I.
"So us is you two?" I asked.
"We're all going," Chunji said. "The five of us and you."
The others met up with us and I thought about it. Whatever they thought Ricky did, it still seemed like Chunji wasn't over it. 
"I'll go see him another time. I just remembered that I have a thing."
I wanted to slap myself for saying that.
"A thing?" Chunji asked.
"Yeah. It's with my mom and I can't cancel on her."
I headed off feeling awful. If it weren't for lunch, I would have gone. But they were starting to act all weird now. Is this what they were like all the time? 
I was too in my head that when I noticed Changjo walking next to me I practically had a heart attack. I brushed that off quickly as I remembered our encounter earlier.
"We need to talk," I said stopping and grabbing his arm.