Chapter Ten

Mysterious Friendship

Changjo accompanied me on my way to school the next morning. Ever since last night, he had been bugging me about my date. 
"What's the big deal? It was one date!" I told him. 
"And you agreed to go on another. Next thing you know, you'll be his girlfriend."
I smiled at the thought. Me, Chunji's girlfriend. Seeing how happy the thought made me, Changjo rolled his eyes. 
"What does it even matter with you? You're in a coma."
"Not for long. I'll wake up."
"Then nothing would change. You'd be against it still but this time you could actually complain to people."
Before Changjo could say anything, Chunji called my name. We had just arrived at the school gates and Chunji was looking cute in his uniform. I barely noticed Changjo leave as Chunji walked over and gave me a hug. He put his arm around my shoulder before we started walking to meet the others. Everyone became quiet as we approached.
"What do we have here?" Niel asked. 
"We're sort of a thing," Chunji said.
Ricky threw down his bag and stormed off into the building. Niel went after him and L.Joe pulled Chunji away saying they needed to talk. I remembered back to the awkward day at lunch when Ricky had said he would share his food with me. 
I looked to C.A.P who was the only left.
"Can you tell me what on earth is going on?" I asked.
"Basically, none of us were supposed to go out with you. But clearly Chunji doesn't care about what we agreed on."
In class, I thought about whether or not I really wanted to date Chunji. It wasn't that I didn't want to date him. I wanted to but I didn't want to get in the way of any friendships. 
At lunch I entered to see a crowd of kids in a circle. I pushed my way through and saw the cause of the scene was Ricky and Chunji.
"You are so selfish!" Ricky shouted at Chunji.
"Oh please. You're just jealous I did something before you."
"No. I'm mad that you did something. We all said we wouldn't!"
I tried to stop the two but random people started to hold me back as everyone was chanting for the them to fight.
"Guys, stop!" I pleaded.
They probably didn't even hear me thanks to the kids.
"Ricky won't even hit me," Chunji told everyone gathered round.
He caught sight of me as I broke free from the guys. At my sight his cocky smile vanished. I let out a gasp as Ricky socked Chunji in the eye. Chunji stumbled back in surprised and then raised his fist to punch him back. I ran between the two and there was fussing from the crowd as Chunji dropped his fist. 
"Why?!" I shouted glancing at both Ricky and Chunji.
Ricky pushed through the crowd and ran out. The crowd dispersed one by one and I took Chunji to the nurse. After giving him a bag of ice, the nurse left us alone. I could only look at him.
"Please say something," he begged.
"I don't even know what to say," I told him. 
He was really about to fight Ricky. 
"Can you at least tell me if your mad?"
"I am mad. I can't believe you were going to hit him."
"He hit me first! He started this whole thing. I was trying to talk things out but he was being sour and didn't want to listen to me."
I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.
"I hate to say this but I don't think anything can happen with us."
"Why not?" Chunji asked shooting up from his chair. 
"I would hate to know I was the reason you and Ricky aren't friends. I think it's better if we stay friends."
I turned to leave but Chunji grabbed my hand and stopped me. He set down his bag of ice and pulled me in front of him. 
"ChaeYoung, can you honestly tell me you don't want to go out with me?" Chunji asked as he tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. 
"I want to but you guys all made some promise and..."
"Hear me out. I didn't want to break the promise. But I really like hanging out with you. I couldn't help myself I had to ask you out."
I looked down at my shoes and mentally sighed. Chunji put two fingers under my chin and lifted my head up to meet eyes with him. 
"Can I just ask for a kiss?" he said coming closer.
I could feel his breath on me and I could no longer think straight. I nodded and closed my eyes as I let Chunji kiss me. I kissed him back as my hands wrapped around his neck. 
"No kissing on campus," the nurse said causing us to separate.
"You should keep ice on that," I said pointing to his eye.
He held out the ice for me and I looked a him confused. 
"Hold it on for me?" he asked.
I took the ice and placed it on his eye as we sat down. I could feel my cheeks hurt from smiling.
"You can't stop smiling," Chunji teased.
"I could stop if I want to," I said trying to act like it was whatever. 
"I don't think you could."
"Hush," I told him.
We were sent back to class once lunch was over. Chunji walked me to my class and stopped me before we went in.
"So where do we stand?" Chunji asked.
"I'm going to give us a chance and I guess I'll talk to Ricky."
I went inside my classroom and sat down in my chair. Changjo took the empty seat next to me.
"You kissed him?!" he shouted.
I gave a small nod. There were too many people in here for me to talk to him. 
"I can't believe you. You've know Chunji for a week. A week! And have you even thought about Ricky?"
I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. I was so close to yelling at Changjo.
"Go away," I said through my teeth. 
"Don't think I'm done talking to you."
Changjo left and I finished the school day distracted. I caught L.Joe on my way out and went up to him.
"Have you seen Ricky?" he asked.
"Not since lunch. He never went back to class according to Niel."
I sighed and walked home alone. I found it weird that Changjo wasn't yelling in my face right now. What I didn't get was why he was so angry? "ChaeYoung!" I heard Chunji call out.
I turned to see him running up to me.
"Why didn't you wait? I wanted to walk you home," he said panting.
I smiled at him and took his hand.
"Sorry. This whole thing has me feeling kind of down. I just feel like a bad person because I told myself being with you would hurt your friendship with Ricky."
Chunji surprised me with a kiss leaving me with that smile I couldn't get rid of.
"Now how do you feel?" Chunji asked. 
"Better," I replied.
We walked the rest of the way to my house and I told Chunji how I was worried for Ricky.
"He just needs some time," Chunji assured me.
Chunji walked me up to my door then left after giving me a hug. I walked inside and to my room. I waited for Changjo to come and talk to me like he said he was going to. But dinner had past and still no sign of him. I tried calling Ricky but he didn't answer. I called Niel to see if they found him but he told me they hadn't. Where could he have gone?
I joined my mom in the living room who was reading a book. She closed it and set it aside.
"Whats wrong?" she asked.
"You know how I like Chunji right?" my mom nodded. "Well he likes me too. But so does Ricky. He figured out that we went on a date and now he's run off. No one can find him."
"I don't see why he is so mad. If he liked you, he should have made a move before Chunji could."
"That's the thing. Everyone agreed not to so for him to hear that not only did Chunji go behind his back but I felt the same, he yelled at Chunji and stormed off."
I decided it was best to leave out the part where Ricky gave Chunji a black eye. 
"Why did they even agree to that in the first place?"
I realized now I had no idea. No one had ever given a reason. Changjo finally appeared and I saw the worried expression he had on.
"I think I hear my phone going off," I said running to my room so I could talk to Changjo.
"Where have you been? Is Ricky okay? What's going on?"
"We have to go. I'll explain on the way. Just follow me,"
I ran after Changjo and didn't bother to answer to my mom as she tried to figure out where I was going. I followed Changjo as he clued me in.