Progression

Monster (Hiatus)

Tao ate his crepe in silence, watching the petite waitress bustle about her section as the restaurant grew more and more busy.

He suppressed a chuckle, at the cute expression she was making as she dashed into the kitchen to pick up the finished orders.
Taking a sip of his coffee, he shook his head. "So cute." he said, under his breath.
 
"Wouldn't happen to be talking about me, would you?" a woman asked teasingly.
 
Tao looked up to find his usual waitress plopping down in the opposite side of his booth.
What was her name again? Mai? Mai Lei? Mai Lai? Tao looked down at the name embroidered on her uniform, Mei Lein.
 
"You're not in my section today, Huang Xiansheng." The pretty Chinese girl said with a flirty tone, as she crossed her legs, tapping the table with her long, acrylic nails.
 
"Chang Xiaojie seated me today." He replied plainly, taking another drink of his coffee.
 
"I see you ordered something different. What's the occasion?" she exclaimed, smiling at him.
 
Off to their right, Huaying exited the kitchen balancing a tray with several different orders on it, and carrying a pot of coffee in her free hand.
Tao allowed the smallest of smiles to grace his lips as he watched her work, "Today is a good day."
 
Mei Lein directed her attention to the source that seemed to capture Tao's attention.
A sour look grew on her face, as she watched him watching Huaying.
She'd never seen him smile before, not once in the several months since he'd become a regular.
 
"Oh?" she questioned in a cute voice, hoping to pull his attention from the tiny waitress, "And, why's that?"
 
Tao turned back to her with a blank face, before looking over at Ying again, another smile spreading across his face, "Progress."
 
 
 
The waitress raised an eyebrow at him in question, but said nothing, standing up from the booth, "Have a good day then."
 
She shot a look at the busy waitress, and marched into the kitchen and picking up the trays to deliver to her own tables.
 
When she excited, she spotted Tao talking to Ying by the cash register. He paid the tab, as he chatted quietly with her.
Mei Lein crossed her arms. How had that plain, boring girl been the one to catch his attention?
She watched as Tao slipped a 50 yuan bill into Huiying's palm as a tip. The small girl shook her head, but he insisted, giving her a small wave as he left the restaurant.
 
The older girl, narrowed her eyes at Ying, as she scratched the back of her neck in confusion, shrugging and slipping the tip into her apron.
A light blush graced the petite girl's face, and she shook her head, smiling.
 
Mei Lein let out the tiniest of growls, strutting toward her.
She already had her eye on the man, and was not about to let that simple girl snatch him away.
 
As she passed Huaying, she rammed into her shoulder causing Mei Lein to accidently drop her tray.
 
"Aiya!" she exclaimed, "Watch where you're going!"
 
Huaying began spouting apologies, bowing frantically.
 
"Well what do you think you're doing, newbie?" Mei Lein hissed, "Clean it up!"
 
---
So yeah, Mei Lein is a hahaha.
Some notes:
*Xiansheng - used most commonly as "Mr."
*Xiaojie - literally "Little Miss" used as "Miss" or "Miss" to address a young, unmarried woman.
*50 yuan bill - chinese currency. 50 yuan is approximately 7 to 8 american dollars.