I Could Disappear

Monster (Hiatus)

"Quit my job?" Ying repeats, hoping she'd misheard him. Why would she quit her job?
"Why?"
Tao raises his eyebrows incredulously, as if the answer is obvious, "Surely you don't think I'll allow you to continue working at this place."
Huaying can't understand. Why not? How else would she make income?
"What with the way they've treated you, you must understand that I only want what's best for you."
She doesn't know what to think. She can't comprehend his thinking at all. "H-how will I make any money?"
Tao chuckles as if she'd made a joke. "Have I not shown that I have enough money to support you? You needn't work ever again." And, with his arms around the small of her back, he ushers the petite girl into the restaurant.
The moment she steps into the dining room, before Zitao, she's bombarded by her soon-to-be former co-workers. She was expecting someone to have worried for her. After all it'd been 3 days since she'd been taken by the handsome abductor beside her. Surely someone had thought her absence was unsettling.
"Where the hell have you been?!" Her boss screeches.
Apparently not.
"Who do you think you are, taking two days off without so much as a word?! The others had to pick up your slack!" The older man yells, arm flailing back to gesture at the other waitresses gathered behind him. They were lucky they'd come before the opening, otherwise they'd have made a scence. Behind the boss, Ying could see Mei Lein with a grin plastered on her face, she's happy to see Ying getting chewed out and Tao has every intention of wiping that annoying smile off of her face. The silent man, steps forward from where he stood, unnoticed, behind Ying.
The boss' eyes flicker over to Tao's intimidating form, suddenly noticing him.
"Excuse us, sir. Please, have a seat. Mei Lein will serve you."
The woman in question perks up at seeing him. He hadn't been in for the last two days. And, now he was here to see that annoying pipsqueak of a girl get her handed to her. She couldn't be more pleased, until Zitao stepped further forward, standing beside Ying. His hand settles on the small of the tiny girl's back, "I am not a customer. Huaying is merely here to inform you of her resignation and receive her last paycheck."
The authority that comes from the considerably younger man is intimidating, the venom in his tone is evident. Mei Lein nearly drops the tray in her hands. What?
The boss fumbles in speech, eyeing the silent Huaying, who only nods, refusing to look up.
She's angry. She was missing for two days. She hadn't answered any calls, or been at home, or to work, or even called in to inform them of ger absence. But, no one had even realized. To them she was merely off playing hookie. If he'd hurt her or killed no one would have known the difference. No one would have searched for her. This realization made her want to stay with her kidnapper even more. The only man to ever notice her. In a brief, short-lived burst on anger she looks her boss in the eye.
"I quit." She says, anger lacing her words. After all the hard work and dedication she'd done for this restraunt no one here appreciated her. It makes her want to retreat back into the comfort of the new world Huang Zitao had given her. A world where she was seen and heard and cared for.
She could feel his hand on her, sliding from her back to her waist, rubbing comforting circles into her side with his thumb. As if he could sense her fury and anguish, and he hadn't even looked down at her. Yes, Huang Zitao was the only comforting presence she would ever know. Perhaps whatever plan he had for wasn't so bad. After all, he was good to her. He wanted her. He cared for her.
Tao spoke, but she didn't hear, blood pounding in her ears. Her now-former boss scurried off to complete the paperwork, welcoming them to have a seat as they waited.
Her captor lead her to a nearby booth, guiding her into one side and sitting in beside her. Huaying wasn't paying attention, she mind swirling in a mix of anger, despair, and betrayal. Tao comforted her wordlessly, his arm around her shoulder. It was the most physical contact she'd allowed since he'd kissed her the first night. He was inexplainably pleased by this, despite her dazed demeanor. Tao could feel the annoying waitress watching them from across the room. Irritating woman.
Mei Lein watches from across the dining room as Zitao lead the pipsqueak into a booth and settled in beside her. She could feel herself prickling with fury, how dare that plain little girl. How dare she draw his attention. How dare she take what belongs to me.

Neither Tao or Huaying pay much attention to the angry waitress. He orders for them absentmindedly as Ying is lost in her own mind. None of these people had noticed her unusual absence. Their only worry was that they'd had to do more work in her absence. None of them cared. What of her family? She hadn't made her regular phone calls, had they even noticed? Did they even care? The manager to her apartment hadn't noticed she'd been missing. He didn't find it strange she was suddenly breaking her rental contract and disappearing. No one around her cared for her. No one would notice if Huang Zitao took her far away. No one would notice if she was gone, if she disappeared from the face of the earth. No one would miss her. No one would

"Huaying?" Zitao interrupts her train of thought, she turns to look at him with a lost expression. "Huh?"
Zitao smiles at her warmly, pushing a plate with a chocolate crepe on it, toward her. Her favorite, she realizes. But, how had he known that? She looks at him, stirring sugar into a mug of coffee. Beside him where two packs of sugar and two tiny creamer containers, both empty. He passes the mug to her and the added creamer to his own cup of coffee. How did he know how she liked her coffee?

Zitao really is the only person who'd ever noticed her.

 


 

So there's that. Short, but don't worry I've gotten the story's plot all planned out finally. But, yeah... So there's that.