Chapter 6

Love story of a foreigner

 

Chapter 6

 

“Yah! Fany-ah wake up! We are going to miss the sun rise; your dad is already there.”

 

“Oh God! What did I do to have this shorty glued against my ?”

 

“Did you say anything about a ?”

 

“ert”

 

Taeyeon just shrugged and walked away.

 

Taeyeon was sitting outside, chewing on a piece of grass.

 

“Don’t you have chewing gum around here? You keep chewing grass, isn’t it poisonous?”

 

Taeyeon turned around to face Tiffany and for a moment Taeyeon’s breath stopped.

 

Tiffany was dressed in a simple white sundress. There was nothing out of the ordinary about the dress, Tiffany wasn’t wearing any make up, not even any eye-liner, yet it was the most beautiful, that Taeyeon has even seen Tiffany.

 

“Yah! Shorty! Stop staring at me like that.”

 

“Uh-s-sorry. I wasn’t staring. I was just thinking…and then I just zoned out while thinking” Taeyeon blabbered on, in an attempt to cover up her actual deed.

 

“Whatever, let’s go. I don’t want daddy to be mad at me”

 

 It was very early in the morning; the sun was yet to rise, the birds have started chirping, and so Tiffany started whining.

 

“Daddy what time is it?”

 

“It’s 6:03 honey”

 

“Taeyeon you said the sun was rising at 6:02” Tiffany complained only to find the aforementioned girl dozing off, mumbling something, leaning against the tree nearby.

 

“Yah!”

 

“Wha-what! Where is the Tuna?”

 

“Yah! Shorty! There is no Tuna. Only Tiffany. You woke me up in the middle of the night to see the sunrise, and now you are standing here sleeping! The sun is not even rising. You were lying! I can’t believe this. Daddy how could you trust a liar”

 

“Who are you calling a liar? I looked up the time of the sun rise on the internet last night. I woke up even before you and then I biked uphill for half-and-hour, with YOU on the back.”

 

“Are you saying I am fat?” Tiffany narrowed her eyes menacingly ready to take down Taeyeon in the fight.

 

“Girls I think the sun is coming up now. If you don’t stop your lovers spat, you are going to miss the sun rise”

 

“Yes Daddy”

 

“Coming Uncle Hwang.”

 

Mr. Hwang smiled at the girls and continued to enjoy the view of the sunrise that he used to enjoy so much in his childhood days.

 

------

“We are having pancakes?”

 

“Yes

 

“Gosh! Finally some American food.”

 

“Here you go”

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?”

 

“This is a Korean pancake. I thought you wanted pancakes.”

 

“Yes. But THIS is not a pancake. DADDYY?”

 

“Yes honey.”

 

 Taeyeon appreciated the man’s ability to maintain such a calm demeanor in reply to Tiffany’s rage.

 

“Daddy I wanted pancake and Taeyeon gave me these things with no syrup”

 

“You eat syrup with pancakes?”

 

“ARGGH! You shut up”

 

“Taeyeon-ah, don’t mind her. She’s not used to these kinds of pancakes.”

 

“OH”

 

“Daddy”

 

“Why don’t you try out this new type of pancake Tiffany-sshi? You might end up liking it.”

 

Taeyeon suggested and looked at the father and daughter, who looked back at her with completely opposite expressions.

 

While Tiffany’s expression was more on the ‘say one more word and I will kill you’ side, Mr. Hwang looked at Taeyeon with a pleasant smile and mouthed a ‘thank you’.

 

Taeyeon avoided Tiffany’s glare and nodded with an awkward smile in response to Mr. Hwang.

 

Tiffany took a tentative bite on the foreign food item, and slowly chewed on the material, from the corner of her eye she saw Taeyeon looking at her expectantly so scrunched her nose to give Taeyeon the impression that she didn’t really like it.

 

 Tiffany patted herself on the back seeing Taeyeon sigh as she walked away with slumped shoulders.

 

Tiffany giggled a little at the sight thinking how much Taeyeon’s actions resembled her puppy Snowy.

 

“So do you like it?”

 

“Yeah”

 

“Then why did you make Taeyeon think you didn’t like it?”

 

It took a moment for Tiffany to register what her dad was talking about. She smiled uncomfortably realizing that her father was more perceptive than she thought he was.

 

Tiffany shrugged in response.

--------------------------

 

The next morning as usual Tiffany woke up to the knocking sound on her door.

 

She took her sweet time to get ready, knowing fully well that a certain girl was waiting patiently for her outside.

When she finally came out of her room, Tiffany giggled at the sight that she was greeted with.

 

“Finally! Pretty noona is out” Taemin huffed.

 

“What are you guys doing with those?” Tiffany asked the duo, who were standing in front of her door, with sticks that were taller than them.

 

 

Tiffany stared as Taeyeon bit off the top of the stick and started chewing.

 

“You eat sticks?” Tiffany frowned at the weirdness of her own question.

 

“Noona this is sugarcane. You want to try some?”

 

“Uh no. I’m fine.”

 

“Noona its really good! You have to try this. Tae-noona picked out the best ones for the both of us.”

 

“I don’t want to break a tooth. I don’t know how to eat it.”

 

“That’s okay. Taeyeon noona can show you.”

 

Taemin smiled at Tiffany.

 

“Here” Tiffany watched as Taeyeon peeled off the top part of the sugarcane stick and took a bite, but instead of taking it into , she took it out and offered it to Tiffany.

 

Tiffany tentatively chewed on the foreign food material and showed Taeyeon an eye smile upon liking the new delectable.

 

Taeyeon’s breath got caught.

 

Gosh! pretty eye smile at anyone.

 

“You like it?”

 

“Yeah it’s really sweet I‘ve never had this before.”

 

“Here take this one.”

 

Taeoen offered another bite to the other girl.

 

“OMO! Tae noona just gave pretty noona an indirect kiss.”

 

Tiffany spit out her portion at the comment while Taeyeon choked again.

 

“What is with the choking spree going on here?”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened in pure terror when she saw both Sooyoung and Sonkyu walk in together.

 

Today is my doom’s day! Talk about double trouble!

 

Taemin ran to his noonas, eager to pass on the newly discovered fact.

 

“Noona! Tae noona just gave an indirect kiss to the pretty noona”

 

Taeyeon chocked yet again and shook her head with all her might in an attempt to deny the statement.

 

But knew that it was a futile attempt, when she looked at her friends who were looking back at her with matching smirks.

 

Taemin went on to tell his noona’s about the details of the apparent ‘indirect kiss’, while the teasing smiles on Sooyoung and Sonkyu’s grew wider with time.

 

Tiffany just stared at the three native girls and the little boy in confusion and decided to offer some water to Taeyeon, who was still trying to recover from the never ending series of choking events.

 

Taeyeon thanked the American girl and drank the water ignoring the bypassing comments from her friends about how their ‘little friend’ was growing up and making moves on girls.

 

Tiffany, being the curious girl that she was decided to clear her confusion about the exiciting ‘indirect’ kiss that she was apparently a part of.

 

“Taetae are they talking about the kiss that night?”

 

The gossipy trio stopped talking at once and looked at Taeyeon with questioning eyes and mischievous grins.

 

There was a moment of silence until Taeyeon spat out the water on Taemin’s hair and choked again.

 

“Yah! NOONA! You ruined my hair. I put gel on my hair today to impress the pretty noona.”

 

Taeyeon stared at the clueless Tiffany, the angry Taemin and the mischievous, nosy, annoying, teasing duo that she called her friends and knew that her doom’s day was approaching, and its approaching fast.

 

“What are we doing here? It is soo hot in here. Should’ve just followed Sonkyu”

 

“Noona, I don’t think you would want to catch chicken in the poultry” Taemin smiled at the American girl.

 

“Are you thirsty, Noona?”

 

Tiffany nodded.

 

“Alright let me go find Tae noona first. She can help us”

 

Tiffany nodded as Taemin went off inside the barn.

 

She walked around the corner and widened her eyes at the scene.

 

“AAAAAH! You ert! You not only molest humans and now you are molesting cows! OH MY GOD! I cannot hand around such a ert! I can’t believe Daddy could assign a ert to take me around!”

 

Tiffany turned to leave and came face to face with her father.

 

“SO what did Daddy do this time?”

 

Mr. Hwang asked his fuming daughter, as he peeked over her shoulder to find a very confused and petrified Taeyeon, who was now standing with a milk moustache.

 

He reverted his attention back at his daughter; who looked like she was ready to burst in flames anytime soon.

 

“Daddy you told this ert to follow me around. After molesting the humans now she has moved to molesting cows.”

 

Mr. Hwang bit back a smile seeing his daughter’s enraged expression that reminded him so much of his late wife.

 

He looked over to Taeyeon who was shaking her head in silent denial.

 

“Taeyeon-ah stop shaking your head so hard or it will fall off.”

 

“Uncle, I was only milking the cows for the butter.”

 

Tiffany could swear that she saw her father’s eyes literally twinkle at the mention of butter.

 

Although the father daughter has not been able to spend too much time together after Tiffany went to college, Tiffany can never forget those excruciating days in middle school and elementary school when the only lunch her dad would back for her was bread and butter.

 

She remembered the overabundance of this particular dairy item in their fridge. That was the thing that Tiffany was most grateful for when she moved out.

 

She didn’t have to face the stock of butter when opening the fridge.

 

Her dad had bread with butter, pancakes with butter, rice with butter and a lot of unexpected food items with butter.

 

“They are having butter?”

 

Taeyeon smiled at the elderly man’s interest and nodded.

 

“Its been a while since I’ve had real homemade butter.”

 

Tiffany saw the matching twinkles in the eyes of the short girl and her father.

 

Not another butter-lover please!

 

“Taeyeon-ah I will take this milk back to the Shim’s”

 

“No its okay Uncle Hwang”

 

“Taeyeon! No argument! You have been working too hard.”

 

With that Mr. Hwang left.

 

Right then Sonkyu and Taemin appeared.

 

“I thought I heard someone yell that our little Taengoo has been molesting certain humans”

 

Taeyeon glared at the foreign girl who looked away guiltily as Taeyeon prepared herself for the torturous teasing session.