chapter 4

Love story of a foreigner

 

Chapter 4.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Mr. Hwang? You wanted to talk to me?”
 

“Oh okay Mr-I mean Uncle Hwang. Sure. Will do that.”

 

“No it won’t be a problem.”

 

Taeyeon said that with as much confidence as she could muster. But immediately regretted her forged courage when she noticed Tiffany sprinting toward her in full speed, and knew immediately that there is a problem, and this is just the beginning of an endless episode of ‘problems’.

 

“No sir! I assure you it won’t be a problem.” Taeyeon shook her head, knowing that, by this point, she’s just digging deeper into her own grave.

 

“AAAAAAAAAAAh”

 

Taeyeon scrunched her face at the familiar screech and braced herself as a mass crashed into her body.

 

“Nothing is wrong sir. Nothing I can’t handle. I think I need to go now. I will talk to you later Mr. Hwang.”

 

“Alright! Bye.”

 

“Taetae, there is a thing chasing me.”  Taeyeon’s eyes scanned the vicinity in hopes of spotting ‘the thing’ that was ‘chasing’ and rested on Tiffany’s scared ones when she found nothing of potential threat.

 

“I don’t see anything”

 

“I swear there was a bug chasing me.” Tiffany looked back and failed to find the offender that had her screaming on top of her lungs.

 

Seeing Taeyeon’s teasing smile she tried to straighten up feeling embarrassed.

 

Taeyeon tried her best to hold in her laughter, but seeing the priceless expression on Tiffany’s face coupled with the terrified look in her eyes, Taeyeon broke in to her trademark ajhumma laughter.

 

“So what caused our Taengoo to switch into her ajhumma mode so early in the day?”

 

Taeyeon turned around to see Sonkyu approaching her with a live rooster in her hand.

Tiffany jumped at the noise made by the strangled rooster and stood closely behind Taeyeon.

 

“Don’t even bother Sonkyu-ah. This foreigner pink princess here claims that a bug was chasing her.” Taeyeon broke into another fit of laughter.

 

Sonkyu stifled her laughter upon seeing Tiffany’s not-so-happy expression.

 

She understood that Tiffany might be having a difficult time trying to adjust in the new land and she can only imagine how her best friend would not be missing any opportunity at poking fun at the poor foreigner.

 

“Taengoo-ah don’t be mean to your guest.” Sonkyu warned her best friend and turned towards the unfamiliar face. “I am Lee Sonkyu. And I am guessing you are Uncle Hwang’s daughter from the States?” Sonkyu said with a happy smile.

 

Tiffany found herself smiling at the energetic short girl, who seemed to have the power to put Taeyeon in her place.

 

“Hello Sonkyu-shhi. You guessed right! I am Tiffany. I hope I said your name correctly.”

 

“Ah Tiffany, we are also friends here so please drop the honorifics. As for the pronunciation of my name goes, you are doing a damn good job.” 

 

“It is nice to meet you Sonkyu”

 

“Same here! I hope my best friend here is treating you right. Feel free to come to me in case this kid is out of line.”

 

Tiffany at once took a liking to this girl.  

 

Taeyeon has very nice friends.

 

“Yah Sonkyu-ah you are my best friend. Why are you taking her side?” Taeyeon raised her complaint at the unfair treatment.

 

“I am your best friends that’s why I know how much of a tease you can be. I was just warning Tiffany about what she is about to get herself into. If she tries anything, just let me know Tiffany! I make sure all my roosters eat her alive.”

 

“Yah! What kind of friend are you! You chicken catcher. Go do your work! And I do mine! Uncle Hwang personally appointed me to take care of Tiffany until he arrives. Now shoo!”

 

“You were always his favorite! Anyways, I better go now! Bye Taengoo! Bye Tiffany!”

 

“Bye Sonkyu!”  Taeyeon and Tiffany said in unison and laughed at their own timing.

 

“You have nice friends.”

 

“Yeah I do! Sonkyu is the best.”

 

“How come I don’t remember seeing her the last time I visited.”

 

“Oh…I don’t think they moved here at that time. Sonkyu moved here a few months after I did.”

 

“I don’t seem to remember you very well either.”

 

“Yeah you shouldn’t because the time when you came here to visit was the time when I just moved here.”

 

“Ah! Makes sense. So where did you live before?”

 

“Seol”

 

“Don’t you like it better in the city?”

 

“I liked it over there. But here it’s a different lifestyle and I enjoy this one. Plus now all my friends are here.”

 

Tiffany nodded in agreement.

 

“Can Sonkyu actually catch chickens?”

 

“She’s the best chicken catcher in the town. Although in my opinion she’s the best in the world.”

 

Tiffany found it very sweet how Taeyeon took so much pride in her friend’s ability.

 

“So daddy called you?”

 

“Yeah I was talking to him, right before uh…you uh…ran into me?” Taeyeon tried not to embarrass Tiffany more for the previous incident.

 

Tiffany smiled at Taeyoen’s attempt.

 

“How did he know your number?”

 

“He visits here once every two years or so.”   

 

“Oh. I never knew.”

 

“Maybe it never came up in a conversation. He visits Seol for business and Seol is only a couple of hours drive from here.”

 

“Sonkyu mentioned that you are his favorite.”

 

“Oh that! She was just teasing me. He’s a good friend of my parents. ”

 

“Ah I see.”

 

Daddy must really like Taeyeon for him to call her personally to tell her to look after me.

 

“Anyways I got to get back to work. You can go with Sonkyu if you want, or stay in the house.”

 

“I will go with Sonkyu.”

 

“Alright then! I think she went in the house, then she will head out.”

 

“Bye”

 

“Bye”

 

Tiffany stared at the retreating figure for a moment and then went inside the house in search of her new acquaintance.

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“Is this for real? The lights went off and now the fan?”

 

Tiffany tried to switch on the other switch and found no success.

 

“It’s like a burning furnace inside here.”

 

Tiffany tossed and turned in her bed; she reached for her watch and saw that it was 2:30 in the morning.

 

She got off her bed and came outside. The Shim’s house was an old fashioned Korean house with sliding doors. She quietly slid the door close and came outside in the common area.

 

Tiffany took a deep breath. The breeze was a bit stronger, it was a good change compared to the stuffiness inside the room.

 

Suddenly Tiffany felt herself being pushed and pinned against the wall. She tried to scream, but a soft but strong palm covered firmly.  She squinted her eyes as a pen light was lit upon her face.

 

“Oh it’s you” came a voice that has become far too familiar to Tiffany in the past five days.

 

Tiffany tried to push the body away from her, but the insistent person won’t budge.

 

“I thought you were a thief, after taking a closer look I am thinking that you are too pretty to be a thief. Ouch! Why did you bite me?”

 

“You were covering my mouth.”

 

This time the offender voluntarily moved off Tiffany giving her the necessary personal space.

 

“I would think that you are the thief, snooping into other people’s houses at this ungodly hour in the dark, molesting woman.”

 

“A very cute thief at the least. And I am so not a molester. More of a protector, like a Spiderman, maybe Spidergirl or something”  Taeyeon broke into her signature ajhumma laughter.

 

“So full of yourself you dorky ajhumma.” Tiffany retorted.

 

“What were you doing outside?”

 

“The electricity went out and it was getting too stuffy inside the room.”

 

“Understandable.”

 

“What about you?”

 

“I was playing cards with the aunties and the oppas and didn’t realize that it was this late. I was on my way toward my car when I noticed saw a suspicious individual lurking around the house in the dark, and jumped right on-“

 

“Only to find out it was an innocent girl taking a breather” Tiffany finished for Taeyeon.

 

“I wouldn’t exactly classify you as innocent, but definitely a girl taking a breather.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened when she felt Tiffany pushing her on the wall and leaning dangerously close to her face.

 

Taeyeon gulped feeling Tiffany’s breath on her neck. The cool nocturnal breeze blew again carrying with it the sweet scent of Tiffany’s foreign shampoo that hit Taeyeon’s nose driving her senses wild.

 

“So you think that I am not so innocent, huh? You want me to show you how far from innocent I am?”

 

Tiffany pressed her body against Taeyeon’s and smirked when she felt Taeyeon’s breath hitch.

 

“N-No uhm…I was just kidding.”

 

“Good. Anyways I am going to hit the bed now. Goodnight.” She kissed Taeyeon’s cheek and walked away with a victorious smile, leaving behind a terrified Taeyeon who just stood in her spot, still trying to wrap her head around the abrupt turn of events.

 

It is sure as hell a lot of fun teasing that shorty.

A/N: Thank you everyone for subscribing....It makes me very happy! If you have time, then please do comment! It will only help me know how you guys are liking it! THANK YOU AGAIN!