Chapter 10

Love story of a foreigner

 

Chapter 10

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

It was almost closing time. Taeyeon was wiping the tables when she heard her name being called. She stopped humming and removed the earphones from her ear.

 

“Yes, Ma’am?”

 

“Oh you don’t need to call me Ma’am.” The older lady said to Taeyeon. “Just call me Susan.”

 

“It’s just that it feels awkward to call someone elderly by their name.” Taeyeon pointed out shyly.

 

The American lady nodded in understanding. She knew that Taeyeon was new in the US and that she was still adjusting to the culture change.

 

“Then just call me Auntie. How about that? And I am about the same age as you mom anyways. What do you say Taeyeon?”

 

“I like that better!” Taeyeon said with a smile.

 

“And your accent is getting better too. You are starting to sound like an American!”

 

Taeyeon just chuckled and scratched the back of her neck, as the blush creeped up her cheeks.

 

“So I heard from Nana that you don’t like the smell of the burgers and pizza, and that’s why I decided that we are going to go to the new Korean BBQ restaurant so celebrate for out success in opening the catering brunch. What do you say?”

 

“Ma-, I mean Autie its okay, you all don’t have to go there because of me. Plus I am starting to like pasta.”

 

“Who said it’s because of you huh? It’s because I want to try Korean BBQ, that’s why we are going. I don’t want to hear any negatives. Go get ready; we are all leaving in an hour.”

 

“Tsk kids these days think that the world revolves around them…” The older woman walked off muttering, leaving a smiling Taeyeon behind.

 

‘Well, my love and marriage didn’t turn out nicely; at least I have Auntie and the café crew here, who are nice to me.’

 

-----------------------

 

Jessica sighed in annoyance realizing that yet again she forgot her towel in the bathroom.

 

“Yuri-ah?” She yelled out from the bathroom.

 

“Yes, Sweetheart?” came the reply. 

The endearment made Jessica smile, even though she would try to hide her smile in front of her other half, little things like these always made her smile.

 

“What is it Sica?” Yuri came in their bedroom, looking for Jessica.

 

Jessica saw Yuri looking around for her, she even looked inside the closet and everything. Somehow Jessica found that confused yet concentrated look on Yuri’s face really cute.

 

“I am in the bathroom pabo!”

 

Yuri turned around upon hearing that and made her way toward the bathroom.

 

“Oh! I didn’t see you there.”

 

Suddenly Yuri’s confused expression turned into a seductive one.

 

‘Uh-Oh! Here we go again. I know exactly what she is going to ask. How can someone turn from being confused to seductive in a matter of a second?’

 

 

“So Sica…since you are already-”

 

“Yuri. No. Don’t even! I called you to get me my towel. If we get started, we would not make it to your office party, and you know better than me how important this is for you. You have been anticipating this for the whole year.”

 

Although it was indeed a tempting offer, Jessica had to be the mature one and think logically.

 

“Here.” Yuri handed her the towel and walked away sulking.

 

 

 

Yuri was already done getting ready; she was just lazing on the couch waiting for Jessica to get done.

 

She was almost dozing off while watching some drama, when the familiar clicking of the heels woke her up.

 

“Oh you are done, let’s go.” Yuri was still sulking about earlier.

 

“Wait, Yuri.”

 

Yuri ly to receive a passionate kiss from her girlfriend.

 

Yuri blinked a couple of times, “What was that for?”

 

“That’s to make you stop sulking like a little kid. I promise I will make it up to you after we come home.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really.”

 

“AAH” Jessica let out a scream when she was suddenly pulled by Yuri.

“Yah why are you pulling me?”

 

“So we can go there and get it over with as soon as possible and come back home and have our Y times.” Yuri replied with a wink.

 

“Oh my gosh! I have a ert girlfriend.”

 

“But you still love me!”

 

 

It was a busy night for Taeyeon and the crew.

 

This is her first time out in catering a business party. It was not really a new experience for Taeyeon. She was used to doing these back in Korea, ‘cause her restaurant used to cater as well.

 

She wondered how the restaurant was doing. She didn’t call back home ever since she moved out of Tiffany’s house.

 

The realization made her feel guilty. She felt like she was avoiding her responsibilities, getting caught up in her own reasons.

 

She made it a point to call Taemin, Seohyun, Sonkyu and everyone tonight.

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

“Yes, what’s up Nana?”

 

“I am tired!” the older girl complained to Taeyeon as she rested her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

“Is that your way of trying to send me out with the drinks?”

 

“Wow! You know me so well!”

 

“Tsk tsk. This girl! Always making me do work.”

 

“I saved some of the ice-cream for you.”

 

“Ah really? Then I’ll go know. I want my ice-cream when I am done.”

 

“You are such a kid Taeyeon.”

 

“I bet you saved some for yourself as well. Who are you kidding Nana?”

Taeyeon replied with a knowing smirk. That shut Nana up as the older girl pouted.

 

“Aww don’t pout ajhumma.”

 

“Yah! Don’t call me ajhumma! You little halmoni!”

 

Taeyeon just shrugged and walked away showing her tongue to Nana, when she spotted someone asking for drinks, however, what she didn’t notice was a pair of eyes glaring at her recent interactions with Nana.

 

 

After moving out of Tiffany’s house, Taeyeon moved in with Nana, sharing the apartment with her.

It worked out quite well, since Nana was a very nice girl, and they worked in the same café. Nana was also Korean, so she helped Taeyeon with the spoken English.

 

Taeyeon was bringing around the drinks when she noticed a familiar feminine face in the balcony talking to a man.

 

Taeyeon raised her brows in surprise upon realizing who it was. The lady called her over probably to get drinks.

 

Taeyeon immediately made her way toward the duo and almost yelped in surprise, when she heard Jessica’s high pitched voice called out for her name.


“Oh Taeyeon! You are here! I am so happy to see you.”

Sure Taeyeon was glad to see the other woman as well, but she failed to understand Jessica’s over-excitement upon seeing her.

 

In the very small time that they have known each other, from Jessica’s occasional visits to the café, and those few times when she was out to have lunch or dinner with Tiffany, Taeyeon and Jessica never really had much interaction. And that’s why it astonished Taeyeon when Jessica almost jumped onto Taeyeon acting like they were lovers being reunited.

 

“Err..Jessica! It’s nice to see you as well.” Taeyeon said politely, while staring at Jessica with curious eyes.

 

It seemed like Jessica completely ignored Taeyeon’s questioning eyes, and somehow forced Taeyeon into, what looked like a rather intimate embrace

 

Taeyeon tried to free her arm from the grasp of the blonde girl, but stopped her futile efforts when she felt the hold tighten.

 

‘To think that Tiff cries over this clueless Pabo everynight.’

 

“Play along idiot.” Jessica muttered under her breath.

 

Taeyeon shivered hearing the icy voice. She looked up at the man who seemed utterly displeased with Taeyeon’s intervention.

 

The scowling look on his face made Taeyeon realize the situation.

 

“Jessica, I think someone was looking for you in there.” Taeyeon arbitrarily motioned toward a random direction in the crowd.

 

Jessica smiled at the waitress as she happily walked away from the displeased gentleman who was trying to court her with Taeyeon on tow.  

 

The duo bee-lined through the crowd, in search of the ‘someone’ who was apparently looking for Jessica. They failed to notice the menacing glare coming from the usually cheerful eye-smiling girl, who grunted in disapproval at Taeyeon’s recent skinships with the ladies.

 

‘What does she thinks of herself? A player or what!’

 

Tiffany has been around the crowd talking to their potential partners in business. She and a few of her colleagues were representing her firm. At first Tiffany wasn’t too keen about this party, which was highly uncharacteristic to her nature.

 

Socials and parties of any kind were Tiffany’s forte. She loved to mingle with people, however, recent events in her life has taught her to have a different view on life and such.

 

So when she heard the familiar catering name being mentioned at one of the meetings, suddenly she started anticipating the day of the party, in hopes of seeing the girl that she has become so fond of.

 

Although Tiffany was very happy at first to spot Taeyeon; however, her happy mood soon turned sour after seeing Taeyeon’s interactions with this one girl who also seemed to be from the same catering company.

 

Tiffany went around talking to a few people, and didn’t like how some of the men were trying to call over Taeyeon, only get served by the cute waitress.

 

And then she spotted her best friend who was also somehow present in the get together, leeching onto Taeyeon’s arms using her as a leverage to avoid some guy’s advancements toward her.

 

‘Where is Yuri when you need her? Jessie could’ve just texted Yuri to come get her…no need to bother Taeeon. She is already busy and tired.’

 

Tiffany thought it would do her some good to just visit the rest room and freshen up a bit. All of this was giving her stress.  

 

When she was at the stall she heard two ladies enter the restroom giggling.

“Oh my gosh! You were being so obvious, when you asked for that drink from the cute waitress.”

 

“Shut up! She was so nice and polite. It’s a nice change from the sleazy guys and the snobby girls scene.”

 

“I second that.”

 

“She even had a slight accent, when she asked if I wanted anything else.”

 

“Accents are hot!”

 

“So is she…What did she say her name was?”

 

“I think it was Tae-”

 

‘Okay that’s it! That’s enough people!’ with that Tiffany barged out of her stall, slightly scaring the two gossipers.

 

But they seemed to resume their previous conversation ignoring Tiffany’s presence.

 

“By the way, did  you see the ring on her finger?”

 

‘A ring?’

 

“Rin-?”

 

Their conversation was yet again interrupted as another girl entered the girls’ room.

 

“Oh you guys are here!”

 

“And you are interrupting something.”

 

“What?”

 

“Our discussion about the cute waitress.”

 

“HAHA! Well I am way ahead of the game…I got her to talk to me. She is soo sweet.”

 

“What did you guys talk about?”

 

“Not a lot, since she was on duty. I even gave her my number. But then she showed me her ring…which I guess looked like an engagement ring.”

 

“See I told you she had a ring on.”

 

“Hmm…”


“But I don’t think I would mind having an affair with her. It would be even hotter.”

 

“Mmm! I like that.”

 

That was probably the longest time Tiffany took to wash her hands, which was her cover job because she was actually eavesdropping in the conversation about Taeyeon, who seemed a bit too popular among these ladies this evening, much to Tiffany’s displeasure.

 

It caught Tiffany by surprise when she came to know that Taeyeon was still wearing the engagement ring.

 

Somehow she like that Taeyeon was still didn’t let go of the idea of them…it made her feel guilty that she never wore the ring.

 

Her trance was broken when she heard the a chorus to squeals.

 

‘Great the ‘Kim Taeyeon fanclub’ that was founded in a random restroom is out to hunt down Kim Taeyeon.’

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes and purposefully bumped shoulders with two of the girls in her efforts to make it out of the restroom before them.

Although it was a business party after all and she was supposed to be all polite and nice, Tiffany didn’t care anything.

 

On her way she was met with her best friend who was closely followed by her tanned girlfriend, both of them looking gorgeous.

 

“Jessie?”

 

“Tiff? What are you doing here?”

 

“I am here to represent our firm, but you sure wouldn’t notice that because you were busy being all over my Taeyeon, using her to fend off some man.”  Tiffany retorted.

 

She was usually not so snippy, but that side of her personality usually comes to display when someone shows a bit too much interest on what she deems as exclusively hers. Tiffany was very possessively and jealous. It was just how she was since the origin of her being.

 

It was just that she herself wasn’t aware that she somehow started considering the small town Korean girl as hers. She didn’t even realize it herself until right now, and as this realization dawned upon her it made Tiffany suffocated.

 

“I need a drink.” She said to her best friend, and made her way toward where the drinks were being served, hoping that Taeyeon wouldn’t be the one bringing out the drinks for her.

 

Because right now Tiffany needed to clear her mind.

 

Thankfully the waitress who brought around the drinks wasn’t Taeyeon, but what irked Tiffany was that this girl was the one who was getting all touchy with Taeyeon earlier.

 

 ‘I never want to see that player’s face. Stupid, idiot Kim Taeyeon, going around stealing people’s hearts. Being all nice and kind to those stupid girls…’ Tiffany thought as she drank almost all of the wines in her glass on one go.

 

Tiffany let her colleagues know that she would be stepping out for a few moments.

 

Tiffany’s main work at the party was pretty much done; she was just hanging out to keep an eye out for a certain someone who has been clouding her thoughts recently.

 

Tiffany almost jumped out of her own skin when she heard the voice that she has been longing to hear.

 

“Tiffany-sshi is that you?” came the familiar voice in perfect Korean.

 

Tiffany took a deep breath before turning around to face the subject of her affection.

It took all of Tiffany’s self-control to keep herself from pouncing onto the shorter girl, smothering her with kisses, apologizing for whatever was done onto her and pleading her to take her back. But that would be extremely inappropriate given the professional environment, and it’s the latter wouldn’t find it very entertaining either, or would she?

 

Thinking about her leisurely and reminiscing about their times together, and even dreaming about her wasn’t anything close to looking into the onyx orbs of Kim Taeyeon.

 

It made Tiffany feel nervous, weak at the knees. It made her feel like a high school girl trying to confess her crush.

 

But Tiffany didn’t know that feeling, being the confident and beautiful teenager that she was, she was used to getting what she wanted, other kids were flustered by her, not the other way around.


Nevertheless, this certain small town girl seemed to be a game changer. She made Tiffany feel butterflies on her stomach just by a dorky grin accompanied by the cute chin dimple that Tiffany has come to love.

 

It took Tiffany a while to admit to herself that she was indeed in love with Kim Taeyeon. In the past she was too busy to protect her pride and rebelling against her dad. And it has led her to lose Taeyeon.

 

Tiffany was a persistent woman, if she wanted something she would not rest until she achieved it. And in the strange case of the Kim Taeyeon that was the plan exactly.

 

 

‘Does she hate me? Why did she not ignore me? Did she not notice me before?’

Endless questions were running through Tiffany’s mind.

 

“Hi Taeyeon! I-I didn’t know you were here?” Tiffany lied through her teeth feighning ignorance regarding the other girl’s presence. She had to stop herself from stuttering and looking like a fool and this was the only thing that came to her mind.

 

“Yes. Our café is catering for the party.” Taeyeon said.

 

There was a moment of awkward silence, as the two participants of the conversation seemed to be contemplating how to proceed with the conversation without any awkwardness, but that alone was adding to the awkwardness of the situation.

 

“So-” “How-” They both started at the same time.

 

Taeyeon gestured for Tiffany to go first.

 

“How have you been?”  Tiffany manages to ask with a steady voice. There were so many questions that she wanted to ask Taeyeon, but this seemed like the most relevant one at the time.

 

“I have been doing well. How about you?”

 

“I am okay. I started working last month. I am actually representing our firm tonight.”

 

“Oh I see. Don’t you have to be there then? I am sorry if I am keeping you here. I just thought I saw you-”

 

“No I just got done.”

 

‘Liar! Well I can’t just tell her that I was stalking her for the past couple of hours eavesdropping on ‘Kim Taeyeon’s fanclub’ meetings at the ladies room.’

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

Tiffany noted that there was probably something that Taeyeon needed to say to her. She could tell from the way Taeyeon shuffled her weight on her feet, and bit her bottom lip.

 

“Um…Tiffany-sshi, there is something I needed to talk to you about. Do you have some time when I could meet up with-”

 

“Sure! I have time right now.”  Tiffany slapped herself mentally for sounding so eager. Taeyeon might find it creepy.

 

“In here?”

 

“We can go somewhere, I am done here anyways.”

 

“Okay, then. Let me tell Nana and pack up my stuff. I will meet you at the lobby downstairs in a few minutes.”

 

Tiffany’s mood turned sullen hearing the name ‘Nana’ whoever that was, but she was more eager to know what it was that was so important that Taeyeon wanted to talk to her about.

 

Tiffany went around telling her colleagues that she would be taking her leave. She tried to find Yuri and Jessica, who were now laughing and talking to some of Yuri’s colleagues.

 

Tiffany texted Jessica and made her way toward the elevation. She tried to check herself out at the metal wall of the elevator, cursing herself for not fixing her makeup in the bathroom before coming downstairs. She didn’t wanted to look fresh for her ex-fiance.

 

When she came downstairs she saw Taeyeon already waiting for her.

 

She had changed out of her uniform and was now wearing some blue t-shirt with black jeans. Somehow the simple outfits made Taeyeon look really attractive.

 

 “You are wearing your favorite blue t-shirt.” Tiffany pointed out.

 

Taeyeon smiled at Tiffany hearing the comment and nodded.

“You remembered!”

 

Tiffany nodded shyly, hoping that it wasn’t creepy that she remembered.

 

 

“Well let’s get going then.”

 

“So care to tell me where we are going?”

 

“To the café where I work. I was thinking we could talk over some coffee or something.”

 

“That sounds good.”

 

Once they got on Tiffany’s car, Tiffany decided to break the silence.

 

“So how is working at this café going for you?”

 

“It’s good. I am starting to learn how to cook the American dishes, and the pasta dishes, that’s why I can come with the catering team. The Auntie who owns the café is really nice to me, and Nana helps me out a lot.”

 

‘Just who the heck is this Nana?’

 

Taeyeon probably thought that the scowling expression on Tiffany’s was a curious one and went on to explain who Nana was.

 

“Nana is the girl that I share the apartment with. She is really nice. She helped me out a lot with the English and stuff…”

 

Half-way through the explanation of Nana’s charity toward Taeyeon, Tiffany zoned out.

 

‘I don’t like this Nana.’

 

“She was at the party, didn’t you see her? She was the tall blonde girl, who was bringing out the drinks before me.”

 

Now Tiffany realized who Nana was and that didn’t improve her mood.

 

‘So Nana is the flirty chick who was all over Taeyeon, resting her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder. Who doesn’t she think she is…getting all cozy with an engaged woman?’

 

Tiffany inadvertently let out a sigh and Taeyeon took that as her cue to stop talking.

 

“So why didn’t you ask Nana to help you out with whatever you want to talk to me about…”

 

They were at the café parking lot already, and watching Taeyeon’s expression fall, Tiffany mentally face palmed herself for saying that.

 

‘I should just shut up my big mouth. This is not the time to lash out at Taeyeon when I am trying to get her back! Grr! Stupid mouth! RULE #1: Think before Talk!’

 

She saw Taeyeon quickly getting out of the car, Tiffany followed behind her.

 

“Taeyeon! I didn’t mean to say that.”

 

Suddenly Taeyeon turned around, making Tiffany come to the dime stop in order to avoid colliding into Taeyeon’s body, not that Tiffany would mind, but the older girl might.

 

“It’s okay. It doesn’t matter. If she could help me I wouldn’t abandon my pride and ask you for help, Tiffany-sshi.” The coldness in Taeyeon’s voice, shut Tiffany up.

 

But Tiffany couldn’t help her ears from getting red. Somehow she found the stern and serious Taeyeon very y. The way she narrowed her eyes with a raised brow, clenching her jaws, made Taeyeon look very edgy.

 

No one ever talked to her like that, in a commanding manner. Her dad never scolded her, and even in those situations she always pulled her watery puppy eye trick to get what she wanted. That sure as hell wouldn’t work at an angry Kim Taeyeon.

 

Tiffany didn’t dare to let that thought out of . Given Taeyeon’s current disposition, she wouldn’t find it very amusing.

 

Tiffany only nodded.

 

Once Taeyeon turned around and walked ahead of her, Tiffany fanned herself to cool down. It was getting hot in there.

 

She was surprised that Taeyeon still held the door open for her.

 

Tiffany never noticed these little things about Taeyeon.

 

‘Even though she is probably boiling mad at me…she is still courteous.’

 

Taeyeon ordered for herself and asked Tiffany if she wanted to have her usual. Tiffany nodded and watched as Taeyeon placed their order.

 

“Go sit down. I will be there with our order shortly.” Taeyeon said and made her way inside the Employees only area.

 

If it was anyone else ordering her like that Tiffany would snap the living daylights out of them.

 

 However, Tiffany didn’t dare utter a word, and made her way to the said table. Somehow Taeyeon’s authoritative tone made her really hot; it was a side of Taeyeon that she never knew.

 

 

‘I would make her mad just to see this side of her, when we get married!’

 

Tiffany thought to herself.

 

‘Aish! Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, and try to take one step at a time. At least she didn’t go from Tiffany-sshi to Ms. Hwang. Hopefully I can make it to Fany after we talk tonight. I wonder what she has to say to me, that is so important…’

 

Tiffany’s thoughts were interrupted when a tray with the 2 coffee drinks and a coffee cake was placed on the table by Taeyeon. 

 

 

Thanks a lot to everyone who commented! 

Please do comment and let me know what you think of my writing and the story in general or the chapter that I posted. It really does help me out a lot! I am working on the next chapter right now...let's see when I can finish that.