Chapter 14

Love story of a foreigner

 

Chapter 14

 

 

The shrill noise of her alarm woke Tiffany from her slumber.

 

She opened her eyes groggily and quickly shut the alarm off upon realizing that the noise would wake up the other occupant of her bedroom.

 

She peeked out of her bed to take a look at the sleeping form of Kim Taeyeon, who seemed to have her eyebrows scrunched.

 

‘Ah man! The alarm woke her up.’

 

She saw Taeyeon flutter open her eyes, but Tiffany gently put her hand over her eyes, and softly said, “It’s okay just go to sleep.”

 

She felt Taeyeon nodding against her hand.

 

Tiffany left the bed to take a shower and get ready for work.

 

She took her sweet time showering in the steamy hot water.

 

When she came out all dressed up and such, she noticed that the lump on the makeshift bed was missing. Instead the blanket was neat set along with the pillow.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

She carefully called out in vain, since no answer came.

 

She made her way downstairs to the kitchen, and found Taeyeon making some French toasts.

 

“You are up?”

 

“Yeah…I just woke up.” Taeyeon replied.

 

“Oh did the noise from the shower wake you up?”

 

“No…I am kind of wired to wake up around this time.”

 

Tiffany nodded.

 

“I made some breakfast for us.”

 

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon upon hearing that and showed the chef her eyesmile.

 

“Thank you Taeyeon-ah.”

 

“Sure, not a problem. Let’s dig in.”

 

The couple sat down, Taeyeon also made coffee for the both of them.

 

“Are you going to work as well?”

 

“I was thinking about going to work now and finish before 2, so I can spend the rest of the day with Taeminie and Sonkyu.”

 

“That sounds like a good plan.”

 

“Yeah. And those two are jet-lagged so they won’t be waking up anytime soon.”

 

“Do you need a ride to the café?”

 

“No its okay, the bus comes in half an hour, so I would just take the bus.”

 

“It’s really fine. I can take you. It’s almost on the way.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes. You are coming with me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I am back!”

 

“Tae-noona is back! YAY!”

 

Taeyeon staggered backwards when Taemin jumped onto Taeyeon’s arms.

 

“How is my little Taemin doing today?”

 

“No so fine”, came Sonkyu’s voice from living room.

 

“Why?”

 

“The little mister, here thinks that not taking a shower is really cool.”

 

“Taeminie. Go shower. Then I will take you out to eat.”

 

“Eat pizza?”

 

“Yes. Pizza?”

 

“Okay, I am going to go take a shower now.”

 

 

“That boy is food crazy.”

 

“Tell me about it.”

 

“He learnt all of it from Sooyoung. She would spoil him all the time.”

 

“How is Sooyoung doing with the restaurant?”

 

“It is actually coming along quite well. She is doing well.”

 

“How is Taemin doing in school? Did that boy from last year trouble him?”

 

“Who Jonghyun?”

 

“Yeah that one…”

 

“No, he turned out to be a nice boy actually. I don’t know why he teased Taemin last year. But they are pretty good friends. He is also friends with this other boy, but he is a couple of years older than him, he’s Onew. His parents recently moved in to the town. So Taemin and Jonghyun were showing him around. I think Taemin is more interested in dancing and music than he is in academics.” Sonkyu noted thoughtfully.

 

“Yeah I remember I saw him trying to copy one of the K-pop idol dances that Yoona showed him. Let’s see if he is still interested when he grows older, maybe I will put him in a Dance Academy.”

 

“You know, he misses you a lot.” Sonkyu said quietly.

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“I miss him too. It’s been 6 years.”

 

“Wow! Time flies.”

 

“Sure does.”

 

“Do you think it would be better if Taemin moved here with you and Tiffany? Because you still have legal guardianship over him, I am just the acting guardian. ”

 

This question made Taeyeon stiffen. It was the not that she didn’t want Taemin to be with her, it was more because in that case Taemin would have to live with her in the apartment, and they would all know that the perfect family picture that Taeyeon is trying to portray in front of them would be destroyed.

 

“Uhh…sure I would love. It might take some time to get the paper works and stuff.”

 

“Noona! Are we going to eat now?”

 

A freshly showered and dressed Taemin appeared from the guestroom.

 

Taeyeon smiled in relief.

 

‘Wooof! That was a close call.’

 

 

 

 

 

It has been two weeks since their arrival. Taeyon and Tiffany has been taking them out to see the tourist places and other places to visit over the weekend.

 

Taeyeon finished her work earlier in the day, so she could spend time with Sonkyu and Taemin.

 

Tiffany would come home from her work every evening and have coffee with Taeyeon and SOnkyu and play with Taemin, or take him out to the park.

 

 

Taeyeon got off work a bit earlier today, since she picked up someone else’s shift the other day. So she took this opportunity to bring them to the big mall near their house. They didn’t really buy much, just walked around seeing all the different stores. Taemin was holding Taeyeon’s hand while focusing on the ice-cream on his hand.

 

He wasn’t really looking where he was going and ended up crashing into a beautiful lady.

 

“Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! Did I hurt you?”

 

“Nana?”

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Not much, just showing them around the town. This is my friend from Korea, and my little brother. Remember I told you they were supposed to come and visit me?”

 


“Oh yeah! Your brother is so cute. I am sorry for being rude, I am Nana, and I work with Taeyeon at the café.”

 

“I am Lee Sonkyu.”

“Nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice to meet you too.”

 

“Do want to join us Nana?”

 

“I guess I can join you guys for some time. Jisook texted me saying he got caught in the traffic so he is going to be a bit late.”

 

“Oooh! So you guys are finally official or what? Why didn’t I get this news?”

 

Taeyeon teased, making her colleague blush deeply.

 

“No he just asked me last night.”

 

“I like how fast you guys are progressing.”

 

“Shut up! TAeyeon-ah! Don’t tease me.” Nana said pushing Taeyeon playfully.

 

Sonkyu looked at the two and smiled.

 

‘I am glad you made new friends Taeyeon-ah.’

 

Knowing that Taeyeon was a shy person, Sonkyu was a bit worried about TAeyeon when she told Sonkyu that she would be moving to America. Although she knew that Tiffany was there for her friend. She hoped that Taeyeon would make her own friends.

 

All through high school Sonkyu has been Taeyeon’s best friend, and since Taeyeon was very shy and quiet, Sonkyu had to take the initiative to interact with the quiet and lonely girl at first.

 

This Nana seemed like a nice person and Sonkyu was happy that her best friend was finally getting out of her shell.

 

 

They roamed around some more, since it was raining Nana offered to drop them off, before she had to go for her date.

 

It was a gloomy day accompanied by heavy rainfall. Taeyeon was sitting on the passenger seat beside Nana. They were stationary due to the traffic light.

 

Taeyeon saw that a little girl was peeping out of the window trying to drink the rain water. It reminded her to Hayeon.

 

It has been a while since she thought about her sister and her parents; she has been so caught up in her own life. It made Taeyeon feel guilty.

 

She little girl saw her watching and went back to her seat. Taeyeon smiled and waved at her. She waved back.

 

The light turned green and they entered the highway. Taeyeon was looking at the side mirror on the passenger side, and noticed that the red car with the little girl was right behind them.

 

She frowned when she saw the car swerving a little in between the lanes.

 

“The road is really slippery today.” Nana said.

 

“Drive slowly Nana-sshi!” Sonkyu said, as she put on the seat belt on the now asleep Taemin.

 

Taeyoen’s eyes were fixed on the red car, which now seemed rather steady. She was going to take her eyes off the mirror when she saw a pick-up truck bumping into the red car causing the car to skid and spin ahead of them.

 

 

 

“Nana slow down.”  Taeyeon and Sonkyu both yelled.

 

“OH my gosh!” Nana also saw the ordeal on her rear-view mirror and was slowing down to keep her distance.

 

Taeyeon held her breath, as she watched the car bumping into the wall of the tunnel ahead and coming to a stop.

 

She closed her eyes and images and scenes from 12 years ago flashed in front of her eyes.

 

She closed her eyes trying to make those images disappear, but they kept on flashing in her mind. She clenched her fists trying to get those images of her family out of her mind.

 

She was brought back to the present when she felt Sonkyu’s hands on her shoulder.

 

“You okay Taeng?”Taeyeon opened her eyes and took a deep breath.

 

She felt Sonkyu rub her arm from the back seat to calm her down. She turned around and smiled at her best friend to assure her that she’s okay.

 

Nana seemed to understand that somehow the accident had shaken Taeyeon up a bit.

 

“It’s all good Taeyeon-ah. Look they are all okay.” Nana pointed out the window in an attempt to make Taeyeon feel better.

 

 

Taeyeon looked outside and saw that the family in the car was standing outside, the car was totaled.

 

The mother was on the phone, while the father was trying to calm down the crying girl who was clinging tightly to his neck.

 

She saw a lanky boy standing at the side of the car quietly. Somehow the lost and shocked look on his face reminded Taeyeon of her 15 year old self.

 

Their car was still, due to the heavy traffic and the accident that just happened. Taeyeon smiled when she saw that the father passed the little girl onto the arms of her brother. Taeyeon’s heart almost exploded at the heartwarming sight.

 

 

I wish that was us…’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Thank you for giving us a ride, Nana.”

 

“It’s not a big deal.”

 

“next time you should have dinner with us.”

 

“Iwill take you up on that offer sometime Taeyeon.”

 

“Have a nice data Nana-shi.”

 

“Hopefully I will.” Nana said with a big smile on her face.

 

“Drive safely.”

 

“I  will Taeyeon-ah don’t worry. I will call you when I get there safely. Okay?”

 

“Okay! Now off you go. Don’t make him wait.”

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon was carrying the sleeping Taemin while Sonkyu was holding the umbrella on their head.

 

Once they reached the door, Taeyeon opened the door and passed the sleeping boy over to Sonkyu.

 

“You go ahead put him to sleep. He seems really tired from all the walking and running around the mall…”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I will take a walk and I will be back later. I need to go to the grocery and stuff. Don’t wait up for me to have dinner. Tell Tiffany to not wait for me either.” With that being said, Taeyeon left her best friend to take care of her brother.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany was worried. She was worried out of her mind, although Sonkyu told her not to worry.

 

How could she not worry…they were watching some show together with Sonkyu. Taemin was already in bed. Sonkyu was also dozing off.

 

Tiffany didn’t feel like bothering Sonkyu, she has been asking her when Taeyeon was going to be back every 5 mins. Although the other girl has been very patient and nice about it, Tiffany didn’t want to push it. On the other hand, she really wanted to ask her again, if she would have any idea about Taeyeon’s arrival.

 

“Stop sighing, Tiffany-ah. Don’t worry about Taeyeon. She just needs to clear her mind.”

 

“SOnkyu it has been 3 hours since she went to clear her mind…”

 

“I know, but it’s good that it’s only been three hours…there has been times when she would be clearing her head for a day or so. It’s just that certain events really affect her.”

 

“There has been other incidents like this?”

 

“Not many, but a couple more. It’s just that when she sees an accident happen in front of her especially the ones that has to do with cars, she gets really shaken. Don’t worry about her, she is a responsible girl, she will be fine.”

Tiffany sighed still unsatisfied with the answer. It was drizzling outside and who knows where Taeyeon was.

 

Tiffany tried to call Taeyeon, but found out that Taeyeon gave her phone to Taemin before she left. So there was no way to reach her.

 

 

 

 

 

It was 11 o’ clock, Taemin went to bed, and so did Sonkyu. Tiffany was sitting on her bed, staring at Taeyeon’s makeshift bed.

 

‘Where are you?’

 

Sonkyu had explained to Tiffany that Taeyeon lost her family in a car accident, so it really affects her when she sees an accident. She understood why Taeyeon needed a breather, but she just couldn’t help but worry for her.

 

 

‘Please come back soon. Don’t make me worry so much.’

 

After waiting for another hour or so, Tiffany decided to just go ahead and look for Taeyeon.

 

She grabbed her eyes and an umbrella and proceeded to open the door when she was met with a drenched, red eyed Taeyeon.

 

“Hi.”

 

Hearing Taeyeon’s cracked voice again just made Tiffany’s heart burst in relief.

 

She didn’t know what to do, so she just pulled the other girls in a tight hug.

 

“Oh my gosh! You are here, you are safe. I was so worried.”

 

It took Tiffany a couple minutes to realize that the wet girl in her embrace fainted.

 

“Taeyeon-ah?”

 

There was no noise, no movement.

 

“Aish! You are burning in fever.”

 

Tiffany almost dragged Taeyeon to her bed and laid her down. She got dry clothes for the drenched girl.

 

She slapped both of Taeyeon’s cheecks lightly and called her name, ‘Taeyeon? Wake up Taeyeon-ah.’

 

She brought two small face-towels soaked in a bowl of ice water and put one of the wet towels on Taeyeon’s head.

‘Please just wake up!’

 

Author's note! 

 

Thanks to every reader for reading my fics...as for those who commented...you know how I feel about comments. I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart, for taking the time to share your thoughts. It means so much for me. I love you guys! 

 

Please do keep reading and let me know what you think of the storyline, the characters and the development of the story. As the story progresses these kinds of comments really helps me improve my writing. So next time when I proceed to my next story it would be of better quality. 

 

Thank you again!