Chapter Three

Digging With A Stick

Jongin jiggled the keys in an attempt to jimmy the lock to his apartment. After a few seconds of pure persistence the lock gave way and he pushed the door open. Slamming the door shut and dropping his briefcase, suit jacket, and the tie he had just pulled free from around his neck, he plopped down on his couch throwing his feet onto the coffee table. His ex-wife would have never let him do such a disgusting thing, but since they were no longer together and she had left the country he felt it was safe to "live a little." Lulling his head backwards he shut his eyes and let his body relax. Today had been stressful and after tripping in front of very, very important people and his boss giving him one last chance to clean up his act, Jongin was completely exhausted; so exhausted that he almost didn't hear his home phone ringing on the table beside the couch.

He peeled an eye open and picked up the phone pressing the 'talk button' and pressing it to his ear. "Hello?" His groggy voice moved through the holes in the of the phone, through the wires and slipped out of the other end of the phone.

"Hello, Jongin-ah?" The addressed opened his eyes at the sound of his mother's voice. He picked his head off the couch and sat up straight, a small smile spreading across his face.

"Umma, how are you?"

"I'm good, Jonginnie. I miss you and I'm coming to the city this weekend, are you busy?" Jongin thought hard, nearly forgetting the show. His mouth made an 'o' shape his the memory of the early conversation. He pulled out the napkin trying to decipher the chicken-scratch Sehun called handwriting.

"What day do you plan on coming?" He asked feeling conflicted. He wanted to go the special, but if his mom only had one day to be in the city he would just have to go another time.

"I'll be there on Saturday," Jongin hoped for a 'but' and felt bad for doing so. His mom should come before a random stranger he met in a coffee shop. "But I have to be somewhere on Sunday." Jongin frowned; why couldn't it have been on Saturday.

"I, um, have, well, I guess I don't have to go." Jongin stumbled over his words uncertain of what he wanted to do or what he expected his mom to say.

"Is it a business meeting or anything for work?" His mom sounded rather blasé about the whole situation and he wasn't sure what it meant.

"No."

"Then go." She commanded, but Jongin was still indecisively biting his bottom lip-a habit he had since he was a child.

"But..." He trailed off unsure of what to say. His mom gave a huff from the other end of the phone.

"You're going. What time is it? Is it a date?"

"It's at seven and it's not a date, a friend just invited me to his show." The word 'friend' rolled of Jongin's tongue so easily and it felt nice, he had to admit.

"Okay, "not a date," gotcha." His mom laughed. "So, are going to pick me up at the airport?" His mom sounded so cheery, something that Jongin yearned to feel.

"Of course, ma." He hummed. The corners of his eyes crinkled in delight at the sound of his mom's laughter. "What's so funny?" He asked curiously.

"Nothing, baby," she giggled. "I'll see you Saturday."

"Bye." She was the first to hang up and he frowned, feeling the loneliness creep in again.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Sehun felt ridiculous. He sat at the foot of his bed anxiously staring at his cell phone in his lap. He had been sitting like this for over half an hour, just waiting. Waiting on his "coffee buddy-" as he had so cleverly came up with- to call. He told him not to wait, but it seemed as though he was. Sehun's frown deepened. Why was he getting so worked up over a call? He wasn't sure why, but he couldn't help but feel the way he was. Why was he taking so long to call? Sehun fell back on to his bed, heaving a sigh and closing his eyes. His arms were sprawled out and his feet still grounded. Sehun hadn't given up yet, though, he was sure he'd call tonight.

He looked over to his bed-side clock and groaned at the time; 10:30pm. Maybe he had to work late. Yeah, that was probably it. It wasn't like he would be avoiding him...oh god, he was avoiding him. He must have been such a creeper this morning. Sehun rolled over on his side and groaned again. "I am so uncool." He whined. Wallowing in his own self pity, Sehun rolled off the bed, making a loud 'thump' as his head hit the floor hard. Sehun rolled his head, his face still implanted on the floor. "God, why does my carpet smell this? Does a bear crap in my bedroom?" He laughed at his lame joke and slowly picked his body off the floor. "God, I need to work out more; I'm already sweating." He chuckled. "I guess I should probably get in some practice." Sehun walked into the bathroom looking himself in the mirror. He guffawed at his hair in the mirror. Part of it was stuck up in the air and the other side was laid down flat. "How did I even manage that? Maybe I should keep my hair like this, it'll help my humor." He laughed loudly and smoothed it down.

"Okay." Sehun exhaled and smiled. "I...how do you do?" He pretended to lift a top hat of his hat and gave a small bow. "Okay, think. I...am a bologna sandwich! Ugh!" He was so nervous he was forgetting the words and he wasn't even on the stage yet. He inhaled deeply and exhaled calmly. "I...I...enjoy long walks on the beaches and girls with STDs! That's not true, but I'm very irritated, perturbed, if you will." Sehun frowned he was never going to get this right. "Okay...welcome people of all ages, sizes, and...and...ugh!" Sehun stomped his feet childishly. "I give up! I'm going to bed." Sehun stomped out of the bathroom, turning off the light and crawling into bed.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"Yes, three milks and two sugars." Jongin confirmed for the man behind the counter. He bit his bottom lip and turned to look at his normal spot. Sehun wasn't there. Jongin wasn't sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, but Jongin found himself missing the look Sehun would give him. A look Jongin couldn't quite describe or understand, but he knew he found it...soothing. No, that wasn't it...enchanting? Not so much. Interesting? Yeah, that's the closest word.

"Here you go, sir." The man behind the counter put out his coffee and Jongin took it in his hand lingering for a few seconds. Should he stay and wait to see if Sehun would come back today? No, he can't, he might be late for work if he does. "Sir, there are other customers." The man behind counter so rudely interrupted his train of thought.

"Sir." Jongin mimicked mockingly. "I mean...yeah, sorry." Jongin corrected his eyes wide and head cocked to the side as he hurried out of the shop. Sitting in his car, Jongin sipped at his coffee as slowly as possible subconsciously hoping he would catch a glimpse Sehun before he had to leave for work. Why he wasn't waiting inside of the building, he would never know.

Jongin watched as customers came and went; coming empty handed and leaving with a coffee and a smile. Jongin waited and waited and soon he began to feel hopeless. He should have called Sehun last night, but he couldn't, but tonight he would, for sure. Jongin looked at his watch and frowned; 8:30 am, already. He put the key in the ignition, pulled out of the parking spot and onto the road.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Sehun looked up at the clock above the counter in the coffee shop; 8:35. He looked around the room his hope dropping as he realized Jongin was nowhere in sight. Maybe there was a family or emergency, or he was sick. He hoped the latter of the two. Of course, Sehun wanted Jongin to stay healthy, but he really hoped that the elder wasn't avoiding him.

Sehun took the coffee that was pushed in front of him and moved to sit in his new spot, Jongin's spot, that is. Pulling out the seat a little too roughly, a screeching noise rang through the shop. All eyes, now, were directed at him and he gulped. "Sorry, it tried to run away...gotta keep them chairs in check, you know what I mean." A few of the customers giggled and other's rolled their eyes; it varied by age. He quickly sat down and guzzled his coffee. The specific taste of coffee beans, milk, and sugar running over his taste buds. He hummed in satisfaction. Boy, was he glad he happened to come by this place yesterday.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"Good morning, my name is Kim Jongin." Jongin bowed politely to the men surrounding him in comfy meeting room chairs. "You want an advertisement that really wants makes want people to buy your product, correct?" The men looked to each other then turned to Jongin nodding. "So this question becomes: how do you make people want to buy garlic? Even more so an issue: How do you make people want to buy your garlic?" The men hummed seeming to be following Jongin's presentation. Jongin took off the first cardboard piece with his name on it showing a brand new board with a drawing of doctor who's most threatening nemesis: the Darlics. "I present to you, the Darlic garlic!" Jongin shouted, increasing the enthusiasm of his bosses. "The garlic no longer comes in a bland shaker; it now comes in a customary Darlic container." The men clapped and looked around at each other, money-eating grins on their faces.

"Bravo, Kim! We'll take it!" A man closest to him spoke for the others. Jongin bowed repeatedly showing his gratitude.

"Thank you." Jongin smiled, not he'd have something to tell Sehun, err, his mom.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Sehun looked himself over in the mirror. His pants were three times his size and he felt exposed at the lack of coverage on his backside. His shirt was much like his pants in a sense that when he wore them, they basically drowned him. His hat was a chocolate brown with gold dollar signs and a rather large medallion adorner his neck. To set the entire outfit off a pair of red tinted, thin rimed, sunglasses shrouded his eyes from onlookers.

"Dear god, man, you look great!" Taekon came from behind him and Sehun caught a glimpse of him in the mirror. Sehun frowned and pulled out his shirt.

"You sure it's not too small?" Sehun feigned uncertainty in his appearance. Taekon took hold of his own chin with his thumb and pointer finger looking him up and down.

"Wait, I see the problem." Taekon stepped closer, too close for comfort, really, and pulled down his pants so more. "There you go, perfect!" Taekon smiled.

"You're lying." Sehun said, more as a fact than a question. Taekon slouched in defeat.

"Yeah, I am..." Taekon trailed off looking away. A few seconds passed, then Taekon snapped his head to look at Sehun, again. "Spiderman costume?" Taekon perked up excitedly.

"You know it, bro." Sehun put his fist in the air, in an attempt to signal the other to give him a fist-bump. Taekon looked down to his hand then back up to Sehun's face, his own serious and unreadable.

"Don't do that." Taekon shook his head walking away from him.

"Right." Sehun put the information to memory and followed after him.

"Cut!" A man sitting behind all the cameras and in a chair that was rather ill formed for the seating of a human. "That's a wrap!" Sehun jumped into the air kicking his feet up and punching his fist into the air triumphantly. Workers around the studio chuckled and continued about their business. Sehun ran to catch up to Taekon. He wrapped a pale hand around his arm.

"You just ran off." Sehun whined. Shocked, Taekon turned around to see the shorter staring up at him. The elder removed Sehun's hand from his arm and clasped it with both of his hands.

"As I am your humble servant, I am also very sorry." Sehun blushed.

"Not in front of all these people, Taekonnie." They both laughed and Sehun's hand was released. The laugher stopped and Taekon lifted a hand in front of Sehun's face. Cross-eyed, Sehun watched as Taekon's hand got closer to him. "What?"

"Did you know you had something in your hair?" Taekon's hand drew closer to Sehun's hair. At his best friend's question Sehun's eyes widened.

"W-what d-do mean, Taekon?" Sehun stuttered.

"You've got something in your hair." Taekon repeated and Sehun froze, staying as still as the Earth would let him.

"Get it out." Sehun whined squeezing his eyes shut as Taekon's hand brushed his hair.

"What is it?" Taekon mumbled to himself. The fact that Taekon didn't know what it was did not ease Sehun's terror. "Oh my god!" Sehun flinched and mewled in response. "It's a coin!" Taekon shouted taking a coin from his hair. Sehun's face scrunched up in anger and he hit Taekon's chest repeatedly mumbling incoherent words that Taekon assumed to be curses.

"A magic trick, really?" Sehun shouted. "I'm not five, you-"

"Sehun, there you are!" The director approached them cutting Sehun off mid-rant. "You know, most comedians are bad actors, especially when it's their first time, but you did great!" Sehun blushed and bowed.

"Thank you, Director-ssi." The director hummed in response and walked away. Sehun turned back to Taekon, a heavy glare burned into the elder.

"Where was I?"

"Seh-" Sehun hit him on the chest again. "How could hit your best friend?" Sehun hit him again.

"Like that!"

OoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Jongin sat on the couch looking at the napkin the moving his attention back to the phone. If he's was going to do this he had to do it now. He picked up the phone and dialed the number his thumb lingering above the 'talk' button. He in a breath bracing himself for the call. As he slowly pushed his finger down his heart began racing and he panicked, pushing down on the 'end' button instead. He heaved a sigh; this was the third time he had pushed 'end' instead of 'talk' and he was exasperated.

Jongin breathed again dialing the number he hadn't realized he memorized and pressed the 'talk' button before he had time to think. He pressed to his ear and the phone made a ring. Immediately, a very nervous Jongin hung up. Whispering curses at his cowardliness, he picked up the phone again and dialed the number. The phone choked and stuttered a few times, then came the first ring and he bit his bottom lip. The phone rang twice and Jongin hit the end button throwing the phone into his lap. "Okay, relax. Come up with what you're gonna say now." Jongin inhaled and exhaled therapeutically. "Umm, hey this is Jongin; we met at Harp Town Coffee Shop. You told me to call you." Jongin sighed releasing the breath he'd been holding. "Alright, that's good." Jongin picked up the phone feeling a bit more confident. He dialed the number and put it to his suddenly burning ear. One ring...two rings...three rings. Jongin gulped. Four rings.

"Hello?" Jongin recognized the voice as Sehun's, yet, it sounded strange. OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"Hello?" Sehun repeated. "Look, I'm tired and if you don't say anything I'm gonna hang up." He stated a tinge of anger barely noticeable had you not been looking for it. "Fine, goodbye." Sehun closed his cell phone, the action automatically ending the call. He frowned; he had really hoped it was Jongin on the other end of the line.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"This Jongin, hi, we meet at Coffee place." Jongin stumbled over words, his embarrassing sputtering carrying through the phone. A loud shrill beeping noise rang through his ears and he pulled the phone away from his ear. He groaned noticing the call had ended. Jongin could only hope Sehun did hear his embarrassing episode.

A/N: Hah. Jongin acts like a teenage girl. Eheh, sorry about that. Anyway, I have come up with the stand-up snipit and it will come in chapter five. I'm trying to make these chapters a little shorter, because I don't want to bore you, but anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm not too sure about it, but I did as much editing and rewriting as I can stand, so there. For those of you in the United States of America: Happy fourth of July, here's your present. :p