Chapter Four

Digging With A Stick

A/N: Thank you to SoftCoyote for making a story poster for me! I appreciate it. X3

Jongin stood, excitement boiling over in his heart. He scanned the crowd with great focus, searching for the short stature that was his mother. He sighed, a tinge of sadness dripping off the air he exhaled, as he watched lovers jump into each other’s arms; they kissed and hugged and Jongin felt his heart give a tug. It was rather painful but Jongin ignored the nagging of loneliness.

“Jonginnie!” Recognizing the voice Jongin whipped his head around to find his mom smiling up at him. Jongin grinned brightly his heart beginning to smooth.

“Ma!” Jongin bent down taking the small frame into his arms. “I’ve missed you so much.” He squeezed tighter, his mother giving a small choke.

“Baby, too tight.” Jongin came back to reality and released her, smiling sheepishly and rubbing the back of his neck. “I’m hungry; can we get something to eat?” Jongin nodded and his mom wrapped an arm around Jongin’s arm bringing him closer.

“This airport has a cafeteria. It’s quite delicious despite the sound of ‘cafeteria.’ Brings me back to high school.” They laughed and his mom gave a small tug on Jongin’s arm, making him look down.

The walk to the cafeteria could have only been characterized by laughter. Stories and dreams of mystical lands omnipresent in the sleep memoirs were shared. The laughter between them was so pure Jongin felt nothing could compete.

Coming to a stop at the doors, Jongin turned to his mom. "They have several fast food restaurants in here. Take your pick." His mom turned her sights to an eye-catching stand. Neon colored signs rested above the stand.

"Let's go there." She pointed to the restaurant looking up to him like she was a child pointing at an ice cream parlor. Jongin tugged her arm lovingly and pulled her towards the place of interest. Reaching the stand he looked up to the choices of meals. His mom ran off and entire meal and a drink while Jongin smiled politely. "What do you want Jongin-ah?" His mom inquired.

"Number seven, thank you." Jongin bowed slightly and stepped to the side so he was out of other customer's ways. His mom followed in step.

"I'm hungry." She whined, her stomach giving a twisted growl. Jongin chuckled.

"It'll be out any second now." He assured. "Where do you want to sit?" Jongin scanned the room for possibilities.

"How about there?" She pointed to a two-seat table not too far from their current location. Jongin nodded and soon his attention was being pulled to the man behind the counter.

"Yes, this is ours. Thank you." Jongin picked the tray up and carried it to the table. Pulling out a seat for his mom, he rounded the table to take his own.

"So," she up some soda from the straw. "Tell me about this friend of yours?" She pried, making Jongin feel a little awkward. He cleared throat and his eyebrows scrunched together feeling a little pushed.

"His name is Sehun..." Jongin trailed off looking to the side in an attempt to avoid eye contact. Despite his hoping, his mother pushed for more information in a string of questions, no less.

"Sehun? The comedian Sehun? How old is he? What does he look like up close? Is he always loud? Is he as funny in person as he is on stage?" She would have continued had Jongin not stopped her.

"Ma," He began. "Calm down. He is the comedian; he's twenty-four; he looks exactly the same in person as on TV; he's actually pretty quiet, and he can be funny." She frowned.

"Can be funny?"

"Well, I've only talked to him once." He reasoned taking another bite of his rice. Her frown only deepened.

"Only once?" She repeated. "You like him, don't you?" Jongin choked on a piece of chicken. His mom leaned across the table patting his back.

"Umma, I DO NOT like him." Jongin cleared his throat that still felt a little tight. His mom raised an eyebrow to her son's reaction.

"I meant as a friend, sweetie." Jongin's eyes widened in horror as he realized he had misunderstood, and by doing so, made himself seem like a liar. Someone who was hiding something, which he wasn't.

"Y-yeah...I know that..." Jongin tried to cover for his blunder, though, his mom seemed unconvinced. Scrunching her lips together, and furrowing her eyebrows, his mom leaned in closer.

"Are you gay?" She asked skeptically making Jongin choke on his water. Choking was beginning to be something expected and Jongin didn’t like the idea.

"No!" Jongin shook his head left to right childishly. "How could you ask that?" He pouted. She looked at him, searching for something in his eyes then nodded.

"Sorry, Jonginnie, looks like mother's intuition was wrong this time." She patted his hand on the table lovingly. "Now, hurry up, I'm already finished eating." Jongin chuckled and took another bite of rice and chicken.

"How could you already be finished?" He laughed and his mom's eyebrows furrowed, again.

"I told you I was hungry." Jongin laughed loudly at his mother's response.

"It was still quick."
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Sehun walked through the big wooden studio doors, his hair flying back ever-so-slightly at the rush of cool air. "Sehunnie, you're here." Taekon ran over and grabbed his wrist pulling him to the changing room.

"Tae-" Sehun screeched as Taekon flung him forward and in front of the dress coordinator.

"She's gonna get you dressed. Do you want me to stay?" His best friend wiggled his eyebrows and Sehun hit him on the chest playfully.

"Only if you promise to keep your eyes shut." He joked, making Taekon chuckle and turn on his heel. The latter waved humming as he exited the room. Sehun turned to the woman who was the dress coordinator. "What am I wearing?" He asked cutely, not necessarily trying to. The woman hummed and pulled out the outfit. Sehun's eyes grew wide. "I'm not wearing that." He squeaked.

"Yes, you are." She assured roughly. Sehun gulped and took a step back, only making the other step closer.

"I really don't want to wear that." Sehun whined. The woman squinted her eyes sternly.

"Fine, but that means you have to wear this one." Sehun poked his lips out in admiring as he looked over the outfit. Tight blue jeans-Sehun was sure would make the girls coo-a plain white t-shirt with "what is love?"written across the chest in blue. The sneakers were white with the same shade of blue in streaks across the sides.

"Much better than the tutu you were going to force me to wear." Sehun sighed in relief.

"I suppose." The woman nodded. "Okay, put this on and wait for the make-up artist." Sehun nodded and took the clothes from her hands and stepped into the changing room. Ruckus emanated from the small enclosure and sooner than later a thin boy stepped out from the room, the clothing fitting his body snuggly.

"Thank you." He chirped. The woman looked him over and left the room.

"The make-up artist will be here soon." She called on her way out. Sehun bit his bottom lip apprehensively. He was so nervous and to make matters worse he wasn't sure how Jongin was supposed to get in. He didn't have a ticket and he hadn't been able to give him the pass to come in. He frowned. He guessed he would have to wait by the entrance for the workmen and stars of the studio and hope to catch Jongin before he realized he didn't have a way to get in and left.

Sitting down in the chair in front of the mirror, Sehun pulled at his hair trying to make it look mildly attractive. He frowned when his hair would poof back up, despite his forceful pulling in every which way. He groaned and released his hair.

 A small knock was heard from the direction of the door and Sehun raised an eyebrow wondering why the knock was so quiet. "Come in." He called, loud enough so that the person on the other side of the door could hear him. The door opened slightly and a slender frame slipped through it.

"Hello." She blushed and Sehun furrowed his eyebrows.

"Hi." He responded watching her look down timidly pushing her fingers together. "Is there something you need?" He gave a friendly smile.

"I'm your make-up," she cleared quietly. "Artist." She finished and Sehun gawked. She didn't look like she could be a make-up artist. For one thing, she wore no make-up herself. And for another thing, she looked too shy to know how to do it, but Sehun nodded and waved her over. She shuffled to him. Sehun looked up at her and she looked down immediately blushing and looking away. "If you could just close your eyes." Sehun's eyebrows bunched together.

"Why?" He asked suspiciously.

"I have to do your make-up." Sehun gave her one last look and closed his eyes. "Now, hold still." She said. "Sorry if that sounded rude." She quickly added. Sehun's lips curved up briefly then something made contact with his eye. After a few seconds of being kept in the dark the woman piped up and gave him an update. "This is eye liner. Okay I need you to look up. With your eyes opened." She laughed. He did as he was told then she moved on to the other eye and finally, the eye liner was done with. After several minutes of pure beauty torture, Sehun was complete. "There you go. You're done." She chirped. As Sehun was opening his eyes and looking up to her something warm and soft rested on his lips and his eyes shot open. They were kissing. They were kissing! No she was kissing him; there was no 'they' here. Fearing that Sehun would hurt her feelings beyond repair he sat still, unresponsive and awkward. She pulled away and blushed. "I'm sorry." She whispered and looked him in the eye. Sehun blushed and looked away and he hoped she hadn't taken anything the wrong way. She her heel and walked out of the room.

Once the room was empty and he was alone he wiped his mouth off with the back of his hand. "Oh my god, she kissed me." He squirmed in his seat. "Why am I getting so worked up?" He paused to ask himself this. He looked up to the clock; 6:00 p.m. People would be here soon which meant Jongin would be here soon. Getting out of his seat he walked through the studio and out of the exit, peering around the corner to look at the line of people. "Jesus, that's a lot of people." He plastered himself against the brick wall and heaved a sigh; this was going to be a long night.

He his heel and walked back into the building in search of the hair dresser. He hoped she could work her magic quickly so he could get back out and wait for Jongin.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Having said goodbye to his mom nearly an hour ago, Jongin stood looking himself over in the mirror. When his mom had asked what he would be wearing, in hindsight, telling her a suit was the only thing he had was anything but wise. She had taken him out and he had somehow ended buying what she wanted instead of what he insisted on: another suit.

Now, as a result of his mishap, he was standing in front of the mirror in awe. Dark blue jeans, white button up shirt with an ed brow vest on top. Who would have thought his mom had a sense of style. He walked to the door and slipped on a pair of plain white sneakers.

Walking out of the door and sliding into the driver's seat of his car he slipped the key into the ignition smoothly and pulled out of the drive way.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"Where is he?" Sehun grumbled looking down to his watch. "It's already 6:45." Peering around the corner again, he frowned. Jongin was nowhere in sight. Sehun looked down to his watch, again; 6:47. "Ugh." He peered around the corner again and this time smiled. There was his target; Kim Jongin.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Jongin opened his car door and stepped out, looking around. Frowning, he realized he had no way to get in. Looking around one last time he went to get back into his car when he heard someone call his name.

"Jongin-ah!" Jongin whipped his head around to face the caller. He locked his car doors and crossed the street, making his way to Sehun. "Hello." Sehun smiled as he got closer.

"Hey." Jongin grinned looking Sehun up and down. "You look nice." He complimented and Sehun blushed unnoticeably.

"Thank you. You look nice too." Jongin looked down at himself and pulled on the vest.

"Yeah, thanks." He remarked sarcastically. Sehun laughed and turned motioning for Jongin to follow him. "Are you excited?" He asked looking to Sehun-who had now stopped-for a reply.

Turning to the elder Sehun replied. "Not at all." He frowned.

"Why not?" Jongin pried. Sehun looked down biting his bottom lip nervously.

"I'm nervous." The latter explained. Jongin took a step forward and put a hand on Sehun's shoulder consolingly.

"Somebody like you should never be nervous. You've got everything: humor, charm, a really nice smile, beautiful skin, and all around great looks. You're gonna do just fine. I'm sure all the girls will be swooning over you." Sehun blushed, and realizing what he had just told the younger made Jongin sure he was going to die of embarrassment.

"Thank you." Sehun murmured and turned, walking away leaving Jongin to catch up to his ever furthering body.

"Wait, Sehun, I'm sorry!" Jongin called after him, but Sehun didn't turn around. Jongin had really messed up; Sehun probably hated him now. "Seh-" Jongin was cut off when a man burst through the exit door and started shouting at Sehun. Jongin's ears perked up to hear the conversation.

"Sehun-ah, what're you doing out here? The show's in five minutes! Let's go." The man commanded.

"Taekon," Sehun began as Taekon took hold of his arm. Jongin took a step forward protectively. "Somebody's with me." Sehun whispered and Taekon raised an eyebrow curiously, leaning in to whisper in Sehun's ear.

"Who?" His eyes searched the dark for an outline of a body. Sehun chuckled a little and smiled.

"That friend I told you about." Sehun hummed. "Jongin-ah, you can come out." Sehun laughed and Jongin waved, then realized they couldn't see him.

"Hi." Jongin laughed awkwardly making Taekon shriek.

"What the hell man?! You scared the crap out of me!" Taekon panted releasing Sehun's arm. "Jesus." The two men chuckled at Taekon's reaction. "Okay, c'mon Sehun, you're gonna be late." Taekon grabbed Sehun's wrist and pulled him into the building, Jongin trailing behind them. "Okay, go over there, back stage and I'll take Jongin, here," Taekon pointed to Jongin with his free hand. "To the seats. He'll be in the front row."
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"Sehun! Get over here!" The producer grabbed Sehun and straightened his outfit. "Are you ready?" Sehun nodded and positioned himself in front of the entrance, ready to sprint onto the stage in front of hundreds of people.
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
"Here, I saved this seat for Sehun's guest." Taekon pointed to the seat in the front row aligned with the middle of the stage. Jongin sat down and Taekon ran out of the way and backstage.

"Welcome people of all ages and sizes," A loud booming voice reverberated off the walls and Jongin's eyes widened. He wondered why he would ever come to a place like this. It was so unlike him. "Homouals and regular people...just kidding." The crowd gave a small chuckle. "Please give a warm welcome to Oh Sehun!" Spot lights flashed against the stage in sporadic, unorganized movements. Jongin bit his lip; he wasn't sure what to expect in the slightest. Sehun ran across the stage his arms out like wings. Jongin was screwed.

A/N: After telling you guys I was going to stop writing so much for one chapter I go and write eight pages for one chapter! Ugh, I'm sorry. It's just my creative jucies start flowing and I can't stop them. :/ If this chapter is any indication the next chapter will be long too, considering it has two stand up clipits(I believe as of this point in time) and an after the show scene at Jongin's house(look forward to that. Haha.). I have the next few chapters planned out, however I'm still making changes to them. All I really have to do is write the material and edit about a thousand times. Anywhoo, here you go: chapter four. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm a little excited to write the next chapter, so hopefully I won't disappoint. Thanks for reading! XD