Adante Moderato

Floating

The boy in the mirror looked back at Luhan, his eyes wide.

"That's me.", he said, touching his hair.

At the last minute he had changed his mind and gone to a salon instead of his usual barber. The old man really wasn't one to keep up with the latest styles. The stylist at the salon had talked him into coloring his hair as well, to a strawberry blonde. The cut itself was layered in the front and sides and short in the back. His fringe was kept a bit long so that it was just swept to the side but still covered his eyebrows. Luhan was pleasantly surprised at how much he like it. He smiled at his reflection. Now to head home and see his mothers reaction.

When Luhan got home he went in through the restaurant. As he started to make his way back to the kitchen, Kyungsoo, one of his mom's assistants, tried to stop him.

"I'm sorry, you can't go back there, it's dangerous. I can get the chef for you if you like."

Luhan smiled at him and shh'd him. "It's me. Luhan."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open. "Luhan? What happened? I mean, no, it looks good. I just... what brought this on?"

Shaking his head, he patted Kyungsoo on the back and walked back to the kitchen to greet his mother.  The other man just stood there, shocked by Luhan's new look.

His mother was laying out dishes to plate when he entered the kitchen. She looked over at him and did a double take. It took her less than 3 seconds to take in Luhan's change before she smiled so wide that if almost split her face in two.

Luhan walked over to her and took her hand in his. "Do you like it?" he asked watching her eyes take in his new hair.

"Oh, honey, how was it possible for you to get even more good looking?" she laughed and pulled him into a hug. "But, I do have to wonder,", she said, pulling back to look at him with a side eye,"What brought on this change?"  

He ducked his head instinctively to hide behind his bangs, which were no longer there. "I...", he whispered," made a friend."

His mom smiled and laid her hand on his cheek. "That makes me happier than you could ever imagine, Baby. I hope to meet your "friend" soon." She kissed him on the forehed and pushed him toward the stairs. "Now scoot! I have to get this food up before it gets cold." 

Once upstairs, Luhan went to the kitchen and made himself something to eat. He rarely ate dinner. but for some reason he was famished today. After he ate he cleaned the kitchen, then grabbed a bottle of water and went to his room.

Looking at himself in the mirror, he was again taken aback by how different he looked. He looked... "Comfortable", he said out loud. He pulled out his phone and the camera. Luhan had seen the other kids doing this at school, so why not him? About 10 pictures later, Luhan finally got the hang of it and took one he was happy with.

Suddenly, his phone vibrated and a message popped up. He opened it to see a picture of Minseok smiling up at him. He scrolled down to the message. "Give me your address so I can pick you up tomorrow. You will need to be ready by 10am. Wear something you don't mind getting dirty. ㄱㄱㄱ."

Luhan  hesitated for a moment and then sent the picture to of his new look and his address to Minseok. Then he held his breath, wondering what his reply would be, if any. After a few minutes Luhan was convinced he wouldn't hear from Minseok but then his phone went off again.

"As if I wasn't already going to dream about you tonight. Now I will for sure."  

Luhan felt himself blush to the tips of his ears. "So you like it?", he wrote back.

Almost immediately he got a reply.

"So much that I don't know if I will be able to wait until tomorrow to see you."

Luhan's heartbeat sped up and wiped his palms on his jeans before replying, "I'm glad you like it. I'll see you tomorrow. Good night."  

Minseok texted him back with another picture. He was laying on what looked like his bed, smiling at the camera. "Good night to you too. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Falling back onto his bed, Luhan sighed at the ceiling. His heart was still hammering in his chest and his palms were wet with sweat. He had never thought much about love or lust, or any of those other emotions involving two people who liked each other.  He had never been attracted to another person, or even thought about the possibility of liking someone. This was all very new to Luhan and he felt like he was on the verge of dying. Those words, not even said with Minseok's mouth, were enough to make it hard for him to breathe and his heart to beat like mad in his chest. How did this happen to him? And in just 2 days? Is this what people called infatuation? Luhan didn't know, but the butterflies in his stomach told him that he was very excited about seeing Minseok the next day.