Lento

Floating

"It's going to rain.", Luhan thought as he stared out the window, his head laying on his outstretched arm. The clouds hung heavily in the sky, moving at a snails pace. Most people wouldn't even notice their slow march across the sky because they were to busy living, but not Luhan.  He loved watching clouds. Soft and delicate, they floated across the sky, evolving from one beautiful shape to another before your eyes. If you look away even for a moment, you may not be able to recognize it when you look for it again.  Luhan believed that watching the change happen was so much enjoyable than just seeing the final result.

The teacher came into the room, "Attention, everyone! Attention! Chanyeol! Please, stop bothering Baekhyun and take your seat! Now, we have a new student today... come in, please."

Luhan turned toward the front of the class. Even though he already knew who was going to walk through the door he was still surprised. He was so sure the boy he had met this morning was in a lower class than him. He looked way too young to be a senior. 

Minseok walked into the room and greeted the teacher with a bow then turned to the class, his face blank.  

"Please, introduce yourself.", the teacher said, sitting down behind his desk.

"Hello, my name is Minseok. I just moved here from The States. I love music and my favorite food is daeji bulgogi. Please, let me know if you know a good place for it." He gave another quick bow and then scanned the room, when he saw Luhan in the back by the window his face split into a smile and he winked.

Luhan blushed and ducked his head, hiding behind his hair. Biting his lip he squeezed his eyes shut. "The teasing has already started.", Luhan thought. As soon as Minseok makes friends with the other kids he will tell them about his singing, and then they would taunt him. He had flown under the radar for the last 6 years. The other kids had given up on teasing him back then, saying it was no fun anymore because of his lack of emotion. Because he had stopped reacting as they wanted him too. But, just because he hadn't show any emotion didn't mean it hadn't made him miserable.

Day after day he would go home after school and hold a razer over his wrist while doing a mental checklist of why he shouldn't just end it all. The only thing that stopped him every time was his mother. He couldn't bear the thought of her being sad. The image of her crying and beating her chest at his funeral broke his heart and he would put the razer back into the box and slide it back under his mattress. Then he would make his way downstairs to the restaurant his mom ran and kiss her on the cheek. He did this everyday, but his mom never took his affection for granted. She would always brush his hair away from his face and smile at him, her eyes full of love, then stand on her tip toes to kiss his forehead for as long as her calves would allow it. That was why he never did it. Her unconditional love and acceptance for him.

"It's going to start again. I can't do it.'"  But then he remembered that there were only 2 months left of school. He could handle that. He could hold out that long. What is 2 months compared to 6 years? Luhan straightened up and looked back at Minseok, mentally steeling himself.  The new boy was still smiling at him, trying to communicate something with his eyes.

"Take the seat behind Lay, Minseok"

Minseok  moved to the empty desk.  It was 2 seats ahead and one row over from Luhan.

"OK, everyone. I need to go finish Minseok's paperwork so this will be a free period. Use it wisely. This means you, Chanyeol."

The boy with the unruly curls looked up from his manhwa and around the room, his eyes wide, "What'd I do?"

"It's only a matter of time", the teacher said as he left the room.

As soon as he left the classroom erupted into chaos. Everyone surrounded Minseok, asking questions about America and what it was like there. He turned to sit sideways in his seat and answered as well as he could, nodding now and then to confirm things. Luhan just sat there watching for any sign of him spilling his secret. As if sensing his stare, Minseok turned his head to look at Luhan. With a small smile he put his finger to his lips and mimed shushing. Then he smiled, biting his bottom lip and went back to answering the other kids questions. 

Luhan's heart jumped. "What did he mean by that?", he thought. "Does that mean he isn't going to tell anyone?" He wasn't going to let himself believe it until he heard it from the other boys own lips. "Until then, he is just one of them."