Adagietto

Floating

When Luhan got to school the next morning it was still dark outside. He had slept for about 4 hours the night before. That was about average for Luhan. He always had trouble sleeping any longer than that.

Letting himself in through the janitor's entrance he made his way to the music room, half hoping that Minseok would be in there waiting for him. The room was empty. Luhan went into the soundproof booth and sat against the wall. Taking a deep breath and closing his eyes, he waited for the music to come to him.  At first he just heard waves, lapping against a shore. Shhh woooah shh, shhhh wooah shh. Luhan let go of the breath he had been holding and let himself sink  deeper into relaxation. Soon a guitar came in to join the waves.

Separate, the sound of the waves and the guitar were relaxing. Together, they created a story. He could see himself, his pants rolled up to his knees, walking along a deserted beach. The sky was clear and the sun was warm on his face. He could imagine the feel of the cold waves brushing his feet as they came ashore. He smiled to himself and sang under his breath, "Oh~, how~ very, very nice it would beee, to go~ to the sea~. To get away from it all~, and leave all our problems behind, if even for an hour~. " Luhan sighed. If only it were that easy.
 
Two hours later, He pushed himself up off of the floor and stretched. He was a little disappointed that Minseok had never shown up. There was still an hour until class actually started but Luhan went ahead and walked to class. When he neared the classroom, he was surprised to see the lights already on. As he entered he scanned the room and was surprised to see Minseok sitting at his desk, head laying on his outstretched arm. Luhan quietly made his way  over and looked at the other boy as he slept. 
 
Minseok lay with his right arm outstretched and his left hand hanging down beside him. His right cheek was pressed against his arm, causing his small bow lips to pucker out and open a bit. Luhan couldn't help but to stare at him. His features were so fine.
 
He leaned in closer to study Minseok's face more closely. His skin was smooth and white but his cheeks were slightly flushed with sleep. Luhan's eyes went back to the other boys lips and thought to himself that they were a perfect shade of pink. Almost like he had just been eating cherries and they had stained his lips. Luhan his own lips, wondering what it would be like to kiss them, how they would taste. His heart beat faster at the thought and he shook himself mentally to push the thought out of his head.
 
Minseok's eyelids were large, like his eyes. His eyelashes were also long and looked incredibly soft, almost like fur. With out thinking, Luhan reached out his hand and brushed his finger along Minseok's lashes.
 
"You don't have to wait until I'm asleep if you want to touch me."
 
Luhan jerked back and bumped into the desk behind him.
 
Sitting up, Minseok took Luhan's hand and pressed it against his cheek.
 
"You can touch me whenever you want, if it will make you happy." he said, his eyes sparkling.
 
Luhan was frozen. His heart was beating frantically and his stomach was in knots.
 
"I...I..... ", Luhan blushed and pulled away. "I'm sorry." then went  to his desk where he sat down hard and looked out the window, trying to pretend he was extremely interested in birds hanging out on the sidewalk outside.
 
Getting up from his desk, Minseok came over and sat in the one in front of Luhan.
 
"So? I assume you got home OK last night? You don't appear to be sick at all. I'm glad. I was worried." He pulled out his cell phone then typed in Luhan's name. "Give me your number."
 
Luhan shook his head.
 
"Why not?"
 
"I don't have one. A phone, I mean."
 
Minseok just stared at Luhan a moment.
 
"OK. he said, closing his phone and putting it back into his pocket. "Hey, don't make any plans after school. We are gonna hang out, OK?"
 
Luhan looked up enough to see the eagerness in the other boy's eyes, then nodded.
 
The other boy clapped his hands together. "Awesome! Don't try to run off, ok? Don't think I wont find you." Then he went back to his seat and laid back down, falling asleep almost immediately.
 
Luhan looked back out the window at the clouds, which were fluffy and white today. "Looks like it will be a nice day today.", he thought to himself.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
It was 5 minutes until the final bell, and Luhan was feeling a bit nervous. During lunch the other kids had attached themselves to Minseok again, maybe he had made friends with one of them and was going to ditch Luhan after all. It would be just his luck. The moment he decides to let someone in, they abandon him. As if reading his mind, Minseok turned in his seat to look back at him and smiled. Luhan could see the excitement in his eyes and ducked his head to hide his own small smile.
 
The bell rang and the students all clamored out of their desks and out the door. Minseok put his backpack on and turned to Luhan, "Ready to go?"
 
Luhan grabbed his own bag and nodded.
 
Once they were outside the school gate, Minseok grabbed Luhan's hand and pulled him toward the bus stop they had taken shelter in the day before. "First off, we need to get you a phone."
 
Luhan tried to pull away, "No, I don't need one."
 
"Of course you do. How else am I gonna bug you when we aren't in school or hanging out? Don't worry, I'll put it on my plan, you won't have to pay a thing. Now hurry, the bus is coming." They boarded the bus and stood side by side since the bus was packed.
 
There were two girls in school uniforms sitting a few rows away, looking at the boys and giggling to each other. Minseok smiled at them and waved. "I think those girls are checking you out."
 
Luhan ducked his head and blushed.
 
The smaller boy nudged him with his shoulder, "Why do you do that? Hide behind your hair, I mean. Your such a handsome guy. If looked like you, I'd be showing off to everyone."
 
Luhan shook his head and whispered, "You're more handsome."  
 
Minseok bit his bottom lip and put his arm around Luhan's shoulders. "You think I'm handsome?"
 
Luhan shrugged his arm off and blushed harder.
 
He nudged him again. "I am aren't I?"
 
Once they reached their destination it took less than 30 minutes to get Luhan's new phone. Then they decided to go get some coffee and sit down so that Luhan could take his time to get acquainted with his new phone.
 
"So you used to have a cell phone, why did you get rid of it?", Minseok asked, sipping his coffee.
 
"Why have a phone if you don't have anyone to talk to?", he answered quietly.  
 
"Well, you have me now, and I expect you to text me or call me whenever you need anything. Got it?"
 
Luhan didn't say anything.
 
Putting his hand over Luhan's, Minseok ducked his head to look under his unruly hair. "Got it?"
 
Luhan looked up at him, taking in his serious expression, and nodded. "I will."
 
They sat and talked for a bit longer then took the bus back to the school. Minseok slung his arm over Luhan's shoulders after they got off the bus and shook him. "Tomorrow is Saturday, so let's get together and go do something. I have somewhere I want to take you."
 
Luhan nodded and ducked his head.
 
"Come on, don't hide your face. You're too handsome to do that." Minseok lifted Luhan's face with his hand and looked into his eyes, one and then the other, then back again. "I like your eyes. You shouldn't hide them." he said softly.
 
A knot formed in Luhan's throat and he pulled away, coughing into his hand, trying to play off the blush rising in his cheeks.
 
Minseok smiled and turned toward his house," I'll text you the details tonight. See you tomorrow!", then he sauntered away.
 
 
Luhan barely remembered the walk home, his mind swirling from the events of the day. He threw his backpack onto the table and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, chugging it. Minseok's face came into his mind, the look he gave him when he said he like his eyes, haunting him.
 
He went into the bathroom and looked into the mirror. He had had the same hairstyle for the last 8 years. Long, but still above the collar per school rules. His bangs reaching almost the tip of his nose. They were a perfect curtain that he could see through but would keep others out.
 
Pushin his bangs back, just like his mother did, Luhan stared at his reflection. Large, brown, doe eyes with long lashes. Small nose and a small, full mouth. Maybe he was handsome. All the times his mother would push his hair away from his face and look at him with such love. Did she think he was handsome also? 
 
Luhan went downstairs and stood next to his mother as she prepped for the dinner rush.
 
"Hi, Honey.", she said, wiping her hands on her apron. She reached up and pushed his hair out of his face, like she always did. "How was your day?"
 
"Mom", he whispered. "Am I handsome?"
 
For a moment his mother looked confused, then she smiled. "You are the most handsome man in the world, Luhan. You look just like your father. He could light up a room just by walking into it."
 
Luhan smiled a little. His father was a fireman and had died before Luhan was born. A fire had taken him and two other men in his squad. Even though he had never met him, his mother had told him enough about him for him to look up to the father he never had.
 
"Thanks, Mom. I love you."
 
She kissed his forehead. "I love you too."
 
Luhan ran back upstairs and grabbed his wallet and the new phone Minseok had bought him, then headed for his barber, his face set in determination.