The Two Sides

Dark Angels With Black Souls

   "!" Jaejoong swore.

   "How'd they know?" Junsu growled.

   There was a sudden woosh of air, and Mio realized Onew had just flown down the stairs, in full dark angel form with his pitch-black wings and bloodstained robes. He wasted no time in flying straight towards Jaejoong, knocking him off his feet. Jaejoong hissed and straightened himself, but Onew threw himself on top of Jaejoong, pinning him to the ground.

   Junsu was about to go over to help him, but Key came next, wings spinning at top speed like a hummingbird, and sank his fist into Junsu's stomach. Junsu grunted and doubled over,  gasping for air.

   Yunho flew over and grabbed Key by the neck, but was ripped off by Minho, who tugged at his hair and kicked him in the chest.

   Changmin attacked Minho, his fist sliding right across Minho's jaw with a sickening crack, but Taemin came and tackled him. They rolled on the ground, punching and kicking and biting and scratching, wings rustling underneath them.

   Yoochun rushed over to pull them apart and punched Taemin square in the face. Taemin bent over, his hand clutching his nose, and Changmin took that moment to attack. Taemin gained control of himself and threw Changmin off of him. Jonghyun, with a battle cry of rage, flew straight at Yoochun, and they both crashed into the wall. They snarled at each other, swiping at each other's faces with razor-sharp claws.

   Mio watched in horror as she struggled to sit upright. In the darkness, it was almost impossible to see what was going on. Jaejoong and Minho were fighting each other now. Each time they crashed into each other, a sound like a boulder splitting in two echoed through the empty room. Key had tatacked Yunho, who had thrown Jonghyun off of Yoochun and kicked him in the ribs. Onew slammed into Changmin, while Taemin grabbed Junsu by the throat to throw him off of Onew.

   "M-Mio!" Jonghyun yelled, clutching his cracked ribcage. "Run! Get back upstairs to your room!"

   "I can't just leave you here!" Mio yelled desperately.

   "No!" Taemin yelled. His voice was hard to hear, because of the steady flow of blood pouring out of his broken nose. "Ged oudda 'ere, Mio! Ged do savetey!!!"

   "But...."

   "Mio, you can't do anything for us!" Onew gasped, as though he had the wind knocked out of him. "Get upstairs, and we'll handle it here!"

   Mio couldn't do anything else but sob and run upstairs, scrambling up the steps with the last bit of energy she had left. She felt so guilty, getting tricked by Jaejoong and, thanks to her, the others were now fighting and getting hurt.

   She realized that, with every scared thought, guilty feeling, and heartbroken sob, she was getting stronger and stronger. It made sense. She was weak because Jaejoong and the others had out her negative energy, so by getting more negative energy, she got stronger again. But that didn't help much.

   She didn't know what to do. How could she help them? What could she do?

   Of course.

   Dark angels that have been stuck in a dark basement for years wouldn't be accustomed to bright light.

   Mio raced to the kitchen and threw open drawers and cupboards at random, throwing chopsticks and knives on the ground and broke two plates, until she found exactly what she wanted. She then raced into the store room that held literally all sorts of junk, from billboards to dinosaur costumes, and found what she wanted as well.

   She had a power cord and a large, portable spotlight  in her hands. The spotlight was huge, and she hunched over dragging it behind her. She grunted and groaned in pain, and sweat streamed from her forehead. But she didn't give up.

   She reached the stairs and, trying to move as fast as she could without dropping the spotlight or falling down the stairs, she descended quickly. The sounds of the battle and cries of pain got louder and louder with each step. They didn't even notice her as she quietly reached the basement floor.

   She pushed the spotlight into the middle of the room, then knelt on the ground and ran her hand along the base of the wall. "Power outlet, power outlet, where are you.....?" She muttered in frustration.

   "There you are." She felt the familiar grooves and sockets, and plugged the power cord in.

   She flipped on the switch, and blinked as the high-intensity light , bathing the room in the bright light.

   Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin merely blinked as their eyes got accustomed and shielded their eyes with their hands.

   But Jaejoong, Yunho, Yoochun, Junsu, and Changmin squeezed their eyes shut, dropping to the ground and howling with pain. "AAAAAAAAAAAGH! MY EEEEEEYEEEESSS! I CAN'T SEEEEE!!!!!!!"

   Jonghyun and the others took that moment to knock them all out with a quick chop on their pressure point.

   "Thanks, Mio." Key panted, wiping blood off of his forehead. "Let's get these bastards upstairs. How did you know light was their weakness?"

   Mio flipped off the switch, spots swimming before her eyes. "Nothing, really. It made sense, if they have been down here for years and years, that they would hate light. I didn't know it would make them so weak. They're like vampires."

   Onew, gasping a little from getting hit in the chest repeatedly, carried the spotlight for her as they ascended the stairs into the warm upstairs light again. "Well, we are relatives of vampires, after all. Dark angels have about one quarter vampire blood in them."

   "What? And there I was, sleeping with you guys in the same room, and you could have drank my blood at any time?"

   Onew blushed. "Well, no, we'd never do that to you. Anyways, we need negative emotions to feed on like the blood vampires need to drink. And we're only weak to light in our dark angel form. In human form, we're perfectly fine."

   As they moved into the kitchen and threw the unconscious bodies of Jaejoong and the others into the middle, Mio gasped when she saw the injuries of the others. Taemin had a broken nose, and his left hand was bleeding very bad. Jonghyun, who had bruises all over his face, was still clutching his ribcage, wincing with every step. Onew's right eye was swollen and puffy and bruised black and purple, and he had a large, bleeding cut from his jaw to his ear. Minho's forehead had a huge gash and was bleeding all the way down his face, and his left arm was broken. Key had a cut on his lip that was trickling blood, and his legs and arms had deep gashes in them.

   "Oh my god....."

   "Mio, it doesn't hurt. No, really. Look, we're perfectly fine!" Key stammered.

   "Yeah.....we're totally okay....." Jonghyun groaned.

   "Oh, Jonghyun.......your ribcage......"

   "Those bastards cracked about six of my ribs........." He winced with pain as he collapsed into a kitchen chair.

   "We'll be bine, Mio." Taemin stammered as he tried to stem the flow of blood with his fingers. "Dark bangels heal bery bast."

   "What?"

   "Dark angels heal very fast. We'll be okay in a couple of days." Minho muttered, clutching his broken arm.

   "I'll go get a first aid kit." Onew said. "Key, Taemin -- you're the only ones that can move pretty well, come with me. Jonghyun, keep an eye on those bastards. If they wake up, make sure they don't escape. Keep them in the summer sun."

   "Right-e-o." Jonghyun opened all the blinds, so more sunlight could stream through. He also all the lights. He returned to his seat, smirking.

   "J-jonghyun, Minho....." Mio whispered. "H-how come they hate you so much? They say you locked them in the basement because---because you wanted this house to yourself."

   There was silence. "It was kind of true." Jonghyun muttered.

   "What?"

   Minho told her, looking very serious and grave. "Listen, Mio, these guys aren't like us. We try to curb our appetite, try to feed only as much as we need to stay alive and healthy. But these dark angels, they would feed until their heart's desire. Sometimes, they would feed so much they would kill the person and completely drain them of life energy."

   "But, you still locked them down there! That's still cruel!" Mio protested weakly.

   "Mio, listen to me. These guys are dangerous. We came here first, and when they came, straight from Hell, they wanted to rule this entire island. They thought of humans as nothing but food. We told them, 'You can't have this entire island. This is for all demons. You're welcome to stay in our house, but you do not own it.' Well, that didn't sit too well with Jaejoong and his dark angels. They attacked us straight out, in the middle of the night, when we were sleeping. If Taemin wasn't in the kitchen for a midnight snack -- you know how he is -- we would all have had our throats slit."

   "That's horrible." Mio whispered.

   "It's not just us we were worried about, Mio. It was all the demons on this island that call this place home. They are too dangerous for the human world, too good for Hell. We are known as Demi, because we are only half as good as humans and half as evil as demons. These Demi, well, we're all like a family. If we let crazy people like Jaejoong and his gang rule this island, all Demi they saw unfit to rule under them, they would kill. It would be a total genocide of Demi, Mio."

   "So you locked them down there for the good of every demon -- Demi -- on this island?" Mio asked, smiling. "How courageous."

   "We're not courageous, Mio." Jonghyun said, smiling crookedly under his pain. "We're just stupid, stubborn Demi."

   "It's a theory we have, Mio. Not all light equals good, and not all darkness means evil." Minho explained, smling. 

   "Yeah!" Jonghyun agreed. "Just because we are 'dark angels', it doesn't mean we're evil monsters from Hell. And if you think Heaven's messengers, the 'white winged angels', are good, you're wrong. Those bastards are some of the most cruel and cutthroat creatures I've ever seen, besides dragons, trolls, and Grim Reapers."

   Mio burst out laughing. They looked surprised.

   "It's nothing." She chortled. "Thanks for saving me. I would probably be dead by now if it wasn't for you guys. I'll never disobey your orders again."

   They blushed. "I-it's nothing....."

   Mio looked at the unconscious bodies of Jaejoong and his gang on the ground, and suddenly smiled evilly. Jonghyun and Minho noticed the change in her emotion and stared at her warily. "What's up?"

   "I think I have a pretty good idea how to get revenge.........."