The Return

Dark Angels With Black Souls

   The nurse screamed when she opened the door the next morning.

   "Mio! What are all these black feathers doing here? They're all over your room!"

   Mio sat bolt upright in bed. So it wasn't a dream. Black angels came and kissed her to feed on her negative emotions.

   "I-I-I was thinking of making a project."

   "What?" The nurse looked confused.

   "I-I was collecting black feathers. I'm going to make a wreath out of it. But the wind must have blown them around when I opened the window."

   The nurse thankfully did not question her anymore. "I have breakfast." She said, placing the tray on her dresser. "Are you sure you don't want to go to college?"

   Mio said nothing. The nurse sighed. "I'm the only one that takes care of you here, and I have to go help the children today. You'll be alone by yourself for a couple of hours until dinnertime at 6. Is that okay with you?"

   Mio nodded silently. "I'll go outside and buy my own lunch."

   The nurse looked relieved she was going outside today. "You look very calm and healthy today, Mio. Good job!"

   She did?

   The nurse left, and Mio heard her clunking footsteps disappearing down the attic stairs.

   Her window suddenly clicked open. "We thought she'd never leave." A voice muttered.

   Mio gasped. Five incredibly handsome boys with pitch-black wings hopped into her bedroom. "Dark angels! What are you---?"

   They smiled at her, and she squirmed at the intensity of their gaze. Taemin climbed on to the bed and smiled adorably at Mio, resting his head lightly on her shoulder. "We missed you." He said softly. Mio blushed. "That is--well, when you said tomorrow--I assumed you meant tomorrow night."

   She did the math quickly. They arrived at around eleven thirty, and right now it was seven. "It's only been around eight or nine hours. Are you that interested in feeding?"

   ONew shook his head. "We only need to feed about every 72 hours, so it's okay. We just wanted to see you."

   Mio shimmied off her bed. "Um, could you leave, though?"

   They all looked so hurt by that she hastened to correct herself. "Um, I'm going to be outside for the rest of the day until dinnertime, and I also need to change my clothes, so....."

   "You can change." Key said stubbornly. "We won't look."

   Mio shook her head firmly. "At least wait outside. And don't let passer-bys see you!"

   "They won't." Minho promised quietly. They all hopped outside again with a flutter of their wings, several more black feathers floating softly to the ground. Jonghyun hesitated, and looked at her intensely. He shouldn't be hungry, yet his eyes blazed with a sort of.....longing.

   When even Jonghyun left her bedroom, Mio closed the window and the curtains, just in case. She quickly changed into a dark pair of jeans and a black long-sleeved shirt. She dragged on some black socks and ran her hand quickly through her long dark hair.

   She pulled open the curtains and peered out, but found no inhumanly beautiful boys with pitch-black wings and bloodstained robes.

   The doorbell rang. She opened the attic door for the first time in weeks and walked down the rickety old attic steps. She forgot what the rest of the orphanage looked like.

   Another orphanage girl, Tiffany, was sitting on the couch painting her nails. She was always picking on Mio every chance she could get. Mio understood why, she was after all rather a freak, but it still wasn't very nice.

   Tiffany opened the door before Mio, and gasped in shock. Five tall, incredibly handsome boys in casual jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, sneakers, baseball caps, and all that--stood leaning against the doorway. They smiled at her.

   "Hello."

   Tiffany smiled coyly, batting her eyelashes. "Hello," she said lustfully. "How can I help you?"

   Mio walked up slowly to the door. When the boys saw her, their smile lit up their entire face until they practically glowed. "Mio!" A sweet, innocent-looking one squealed, running past a shocked Tiffany and straight into Mio's arms.

   "We missed you so much!" Taemin cried, hugging her.

   Tiffany's mascara-coated eyes bulged. "You KNOW the emo-freak?" She gasped.

   Jonghyun, who was near the front, glared at her. "Don't you dare call Mio that ever again." He said to her. He looked back at me and smiled. "Come on, Mio."

   Taemin half-dragged the shocked Mio outside and slammed the door in Tiffany's face.

   "B-b-b-but, your wings--" Mio managed to stammer. She finally found control of her legs, but Minho had his arm around her shoulder and was steering her in the right direction.

   "We can transform into humanoid figures, too." Key answered.

   ONew smiled at her. "We missed you so much."

   "B-but you just saw me ten minutes ago."

   "Ten minutes too long," Minho whispered.

   Mio blushed, but breathed in the fresh air. She hadn't been outside for such a long time. The sky was so blue, the grass was so green, and there was no Sins in sight. In fact, she hadn't seen any Sins at all since last night. And she had no nightmares either.

   Key must have noticed, because he said, "We exorcised the area around you. The Sins stay away as long as we're here, and with your negative emotions out, you don't have any visions."

   Mio smiled. "I haven't slept so well in years. Thank you."

   "No problem." Jonghyun said, suddenly smiling devilishly and winked at me. "If you want any more negativeness out of you, by all means just ask me."

   The others frowned and growled at him. Taemin looked like he was going to cry. "No If anything, I should be the one to kiss Mio!" As if in response, he leaned over and pecked Mio lightly on the lips. It wasn't to feed or anything. Simply to kiss her.

   Mio turned cherry red. Minho's arm left her shoulder, and she realized the other four boys had pounced on Taemin and was proceeding to have an extreme dogfight.

   "Stop!" Mio said quietly. She couldn't raise her voice loud enough. They continued punching and scratching and kicking each other. "Stop!" She said, a bit louder. She couldn't scream. She hadn't raised her voice for years.

   "STOP!!!" She howled. The dark angels finally looked up and were shocked to see tears dripping down Mio's face. "Stop it, please." She whispered. "I dream of war and fights, and I hate it. I don't like fighting, so, please...."

   They immediately got up and, bruised but not bleeding, crowded around her and tried to make her stop crying. "It's okay, Mio!" "We're not fighting anymore!" "Please stop crying, Mio, look! We're all good friends now!" "Oh, Mio, stop....."

   Mio quickly brushed the tears away, but smiled at them. They looked startled, yet they were mesmerized. Her smile was like a sun. It warmed them all the way into their souls. ONew, Key, Taemin, Minho, and Jonghyun all felt a tingling sensation all over their body, and their heartbeat pounded in their ribcage. They felt like they were being stung by a thousand bees and kissed by a thousand butterflies all at once. It was both the most painful and most wonderful thing they have ever experienced as dark angels. Even feeding on Mio's negative emotions, which drove them into a frenzy, was nothing compared to what lay before them. The sun.

   "Thank you. That was the first time I've ever yelled, or cried in front of people. Thank you." Very slowly and carefully, she gently kissed each one of them on the cheek. To the dark angels, the spot where her soft red lips touched them burned like a fire.

   "Do you know any good stores?" Mio asked them. "I feel like walking around. I haven't been outside of my room in weeks."

   They followed her, quietly and softly. They were numb. The only thing they could feel was the softness of her lips--like a rose petal slowly landing in a puddle of water, so soft and gentle and graceful.

   They all closed their eyes briefly. They wanted to remember that feeling.